This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone! This year is going to be my 3rd time applying (though the 1st time was a mistake since I was not ready whatsoever) and I plan on doing file reviews when the schools allow them, but I want to get some feedback on my stats now so I can start working on it. I plan on retaking my GRE for the 4th time (since I am apparently terrible at this thing) and getting more vet and research experience.

Upenn is my IS. I have a BS in Humanities, minor in Bio, and a MS in Biology.
I applied to Upenn, Cornell, Minnesota, and VMRCVM. Didn't get interviews at any.

Cum. GPA: 3.32
Science GPA: 3.22
Last 45 GPA: 3.9
(These should be slightly higher this cycle since I was still working on my last semester last cycle and got a 4.0)

GRE: V 153, Q 149 A 4.5
V 150, Q 151 A 4.0
V 152, Q 152 A 4.5

Vet Experience:
700 hours at a SA clinic with 5 doctors (I plan to return to this place for more)
400 hours as an animal caretaker for lab animals at a vivarium
150 hours LA at a dairy farm that has cattle, goats, sheep, alpacas
150 hours SA emergency room at UPenn

Animal Experience:
300 hours of black bear research trapping with NJ Fish and Wildlife
400 hours of pet sitting service for SA
300 hours at Philadelphia Zoo as animal care intern for small/exotics
500 hours at local SPCA for SA
2500 hours pet ownership. I've owned small animals and exotics

Research:
250 hours of oral and nasal bacteria of black bears (I have this published in a journal)
70 hours of aerobic bacteria found in unpasteurized milk with a multi-farm comparison
50 hours of animal behavior research on white-nosed coatis at the philadelphia zoo
180 hours on an undergrad thesis about ethics of factory farming
(Since then I have also done ~480 hours of testing ticks for various diseases at my university)

Other activities:
Assistant manager at 2 different jobs, a couple university jobs, research awards, my research publication, pre-vet club, other science clubs, Big brothers/Big Sisters, cosplay (I sell costumes and compete in competitions)

So what are my chances? Thanks for any feedback!

Apply to instate PENN since it is your instate, otherwise stay away from ivy leagues because they focus on scores such at highest GPA and highest GRE. apply to schools that take more weight out of the last 45 credits. check out tuskegee or LMU. I would say you should also check out mississippi and Auburn. All are great schools.

cGPA: 3.38
sGPA: 3.45ish
last 45: 3.56
GRE: v-146 q-144 A-4.0

I got into a stateside schools, but I had a lot of other things that made my application strong. Worked at wildlife center/animal shelter/emergency veterinary clinic/preventive health veterinary clinic. I did research at undergraduate institution, plus won an undergraduate research award that paid me 3,000 to do research at UT medical school for 4 months. I guess my GPA doesn't look great by numbers alone, but when you look at my course load, it was all math and science and one liberal arts class every semester, which was at least 17 credit hours per semester since first day of college. And I worked full time 36-40 hours a week while I took on that load. To put a cherry on top, I served in the U.S military. So I would say my GPA and scores are superb compared to a 4.0 that didn't have to work and got to study all day and take test. I studied on my way to work, listened to recorded lectures while I worked out or walked dogs. Its not what you can learn, ITS WHAT YOU CAN DO!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone! I posted these stats about a year ago and asked for input on future vet school application chances (thank you so much to those who gave their insight, back then!). I wanted to update the GRE info as well as get any new/additional opinions on how to improve.

26 y/o female. Class of 2010 college grad. NY resident.

Academics (aka - the area in need of improvement):

Major: Biomedical Sciences
Minor: Biology, Psychology

cummulative GPA: 3.1
science GPA: 2.687 (eek...)

Veterinary Experience:
May 2007 - Aug. 2007 - Assistant at a SA feline exclusive vet clinic ( ~220 hours )
Jan 2009- May 2009 - Interned once a week at a SA hospital ( ~ 80 hours)
Sept. 2009-Dec. 2009 - Interned once a week at a SA emergency hospital ( ~70 hours)
Jan. 2010 - May 2010 - Interned once a week at an Equine hospital on call with their ambulatory service ( ~175 hours)
July 2011 - present - Working as an assistant in a SA/exotics/occassional wildlife rehab veterinary hospital (7,000 + hours)
Sept. 2014 - present - Working as an assistant for a house-call SA veterinarian one day a week (~150 hours)

LOR:
-1 former professor who I've had for three undergrad classes and who knows me well
-4 from the SA vets I've worked with for the past 3.5 years and who I have amazing relationships with

Extracurriculars:
-Phi Delta Epsilon medical club (2006-2008)
-American Chemical Society (2008-2009)

GRE:
V: 162
Q: 153
W: 5.5

I know the "academic" area is my weakest. Yet, I want to improve it in a meaningful way. I've retaken some undergrad classes in the past to boost things, but have been told that even with the improved grades factored into my GPA, VMCAS/vet schools will still calculate in the prior grades, which my advisor has told me still won't boost my GPA very much.

Lately, I've been researching masters programs to see if I could find any that would allow me to potentially work as an RA (preferably) or a TA to waive tuition costs and concurrently help show vet schools that I am able to manage their demanding courseload. It would also afford me a chance to add research to my resume. Would this route be helpful? Do you think retaking classes, at the undergrad level, that I didn't do well in before would be a better use of time/money?

So far, I have been accepted to a SUNY school with a one year MA science program. This program does not afford me the opportunity for research, but they do claim to cater towards students looking to enter professional schools and say that I can shape my degree more to my interests in this way. In my search for masters programs, I have been having extreme difficulty finding ones that help with tuition costs for MS/MA students. Many labs only accept Phd students into them and, without the offer of space within a professor's lab, I have not been able to gain entry into a few programs. Any suggestions on finding programs? Or other tuition help? Would a masters degree even be a helpful route to go down, or will the VMCAS/vet school solely look at pre-requisites and undergraduate work? I figured it could at least help with my last 45 credit hours to the schools that look at that...?

Being a NY resident, Cornell would be ideal given in-state tuition options. Not to mention that their facilities, which I have toured twice, are absolutely amazing! However, successfully getting into any vet school is a trial in and of itself. I've spoken to students who have attended Ross and St. George's. And a couple of my bosses have even gotten their training there, so I know that they turn out AMAZING vets! But, I don't know (from what I've heard) that I would feel entirely comfortable living on the islands. I've effectively been promised by recent graduates that I know that, as a student there, my dorm would be broken into and I would be followed to campus, frequently. In addition to that, those schools are quite expensive, not counting the costs of travel and transporting possessions. I know that vet schools are insanely expensive across the board. But, if my school allowed, I would attempt to take up residency in their state to help decrease costs while in school. It's just a lot to think about...and my college advisor hasn't really been the best at getting back to me and stearing me through these decisions, so I've been kind of alone in all of this...

Any thoughts or similar roads taken by anyone here?

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• upload_2015-3-21_21-54-49.png
    upload_2015-3-21_21-54-49.png
    95 bytes · Views: 37
Last edited:
So, some very rough estimates (most likely low-balled) just for a little input. I’m hoping to get some equine/LA shadowing experience this summer as well as possibly volunteer at the wildlife rehabilitation center nearish to me.

Senior soon to be super senior, or sophomore with 2 years of college while in highschool, depending on how you want to look at it.
Graduating Spring 2016 with a BS in Zoology.

Grades:
Cumulative GPA: 3.53
Science GPA: 3.31
Last 45 (so far): 3.57

Haven’t taken the GRE, will be taking it this summer.

Veterinary Experience:
~1000 hours SA (most working as kennel staff/vet assistant at a local clinic, a few shadowing at various clinics)

Animal Experience:
~1000 hours paid kennel staff at a pet resort
~100 hours dog trainer (paid)
~300 hours dog trainer (4-H Volunteer)
~200 hours fostering (including bottle feeding kittens)
~300 hours showing dogs, including 7 state 4-H championships (4-H and AKC)

Extracurriculars/Awards/Etc:
-Was on (and currently coach) 4-H dog quiz bowl team – placed well, including state champion one year
-Competitively rock climb
-Several years in leadership with a spay/neuter non-profit doing administrative work, adoption events, fundraisers and whatever else needed to be done
-Current 4-H Dog Project county leader
-Historical reenacting for many years, including as a costumed tour guide (2 years paid part time, going on 10 volunteer only)
-House/pet sitter for a variety of critters/farm animals
-Curling team – some awards
-Dean’s list and a few other academic awards
Probably more things I am forgetting, not sure if all of this is worthy of including in my application.
ETA (now that I've have coffee and woken up):
-Several years in a hawkwatch club, counting migrating raptors
-I'm on several boards and committees in various leadership positions at my church
-Several community service awards
-Served as president/photographer/advisory member/ambassador between my club/county 4-H

No research yet, but the school I transferred to this last year has quite a bit of undergrad research opportunities I am hoping to get involved with this next year when my class schedule is a little less crazy.

My instate is UMN. Not 100% on which other schools I am applying for, just have some ideas. I plan to take a gap year after I graduate.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! I'm currently a sophomore in college, and am planning on going to vet school once I'm finished here. However, I have a pretty low GPA right now (probably 2.74 after this semester), and although I'm working on it as best I can, I think the best I'll be able to get by the time I graduate is a 3.0. I have shadowed vets several times, did 4-H for 5 years (including being president of my club), earned the 4-H All-Star award (essentially the Eagle Scout of 4-H), and I just got a job at a local veterinarian. I'm only working about 20 hours a week right now, but during the summer it'll probably be closer to 40-50. I also plan on doing internships for my next two January terms, and plan to do research with one of the professors starting next year.
I live in Virginia and don't really want to travel far, so right now the only colleges I'm seriously looking at for vet school are LMU, UT, NC State, U Penn, Cornell, and Virginia Tech. What do you think is the likelihood that I'll make it into any of those the first time applying? I have no interest in being a vet tech, so that's not a fallback option for me, but I would be fine with taking off a year or two to work more if I didn't get in the first time. Also, do you think it would be better if I go ahead and apply out of college, and go from there, or go right into working for a year and then apply?
I'm just an anxiety ridden mess that I won't get in:scared:

Hi guys! I'm currently a sophomore in college, and am planning on going to vet school once I'm finished here. However, I have a pretty low GPA right now (probably 2.74 after this semester), and although I'm working on it as best I can, I think the best I'll be able to get by the time I graduate is a 3.0. I have shadowed vets several times, did 4-H for 5 years (including being president of my club), earned the 4-H All-Star award (essentially the Eagle Scout of 4-H), and I just got a job at a local veterinarian. I'm only working about 20 hours a week right now, but during the summer it'll probably be closer to 40-50. I also plan on doing internships for my next two January terms, and plan to do research with one of the professors starting next year.
I live in Virginia and don't really want to travel far, so right now the only colleges I'm seriously looking at for vet school are LMU, UT, NC State, U Penn, Cornell, and Virginia Tech. What do you think is the likelihood that I'll make it into any of those the first time applying? I have no interest in being a vet tech, so that's not a fallback option for me, but I would be fine with taking off a year or two to work more if I didn't get in the first time. Also, do you think it would be better if I go ahead and apply out of college, and go from there, or go right into working for a year and then apply?
I'm just an anxiety ridden mess that I won't get in:scared:
Of those schools, LMU may be your best bet, but it will be hard with a GPA of 3.0. Some schools have a minimum GPA requirement of 3.2. I don't know much about UT, but NCSU, Penn, Cornell and VMRCVM are all highly competitive, especially if you are out of state. I recall hearing the average OOS GPA for NCSU is 3.8. LMU is a new school, and very expensive, therefore many students who get into a different school, often do choose that route even if only due to financial reasons.

Of those schools, LMU may be your best bet, but it will be hard with a GPA of 3.0. Some schools have a minimum GPA requirement of 3.2. I don't know much about UT, but NCSU, Penn, Cornell and VMRCVM are all highly competitive, especially if you are out of state. I recall hearing the average OOS GPA for NCSU is 3.8. LMU is a new school, and very expensive, therefore many students who get into a different school, often do choose that route even if only due to financial reasons.
For the year that they decided to advertise on their website, it is in there as a 3.92 average gpa for OOS accepted (I think it was 2011 maybe?)

Also I didn't check the numbers for this year, but the year prior I thought LMU was around 160 for 4 years, which would put it in/close to the top 10 for cheapest schools. Definitely could have changed though.

Get into a masters program after college, the apply to veterinary school. Otherwise Ross or Saint Georges is an option. Don't give up or lose hope. Never give up on your dream.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest schools for me to look at with my stats.

cGPA 3.42
sGPA 3.06 (C in Gen Chem killed me)

Plenty of diverse experience
My rec letters will also be excellent
Strong extra-curriculars

I'm a sophomore, so not applying for a couple years, but need to start setting goals and planning

Hello! I was wondering if anyone could "chance me" for with the following stats. I'm applying this coming cycle!

Top choices: Tufts, Penn, Cornell
Contract School: Iowa
Also applying: Kansas, Lincoln Memorial, Midwestern, Minnesota, Western, Virginia-Maryland

GPA
: 3.749 (Science: 3.699 & Last 45: 3.788)
GRE: 162 Q/ 155 V (planning to take again for a higher verbal score)

Experience :
300 hours kennel attendant at a vet hospital
900 hours surgical veterinary assistant at a 24hr hospital - Potential LOR-manager, CVT
40 hours VIDA 10-day volunteer trip to Guatemala
120 hours veterinary technician at a wellness canine only clinic - Potential LOR -Veterinarian
250 hours doggie daycare handler
600 hours veterinary technician multi-doctor small animal practice - Potential LOR - Veterinarian
450 hours internship in aquarium medical center - Potential LOR - Veterinarian
300 hours avian research lab -Potential LOR - Professor

Extras: Pre-Vet club leadership positions, chorus soloist with music scholarship awards

Thank you, I appreciate any thoughts or input :)

Hello! I was wondering if anyone could "chance me" for with the following stats. I'm applying this coming cycle!

Also applying: Kansas, Lincoln Memorial, Midwestern, Minnesota, Western, Virginia-Maryland

GPA

Experience :
900 hours surgical veterinary assistant at a 24hr hospital - Potential LOR-manager, CVT
120 hours veterinary technician at a wellness canine only clinic - Potential LOR -Veterinarian
600 hours veterinary technician multi-doctor small animal practice - Potential LOR - Veterinarian

Extras: Pre-Vet club leadership positions, chorus soloist with music scholarship awards

What is your GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Depending on your degree and course load per semester, I'd recommended applying to only 1 Ivy League school. In the end the goal is to become a vet. For sure instate school, then those that cover the pre reqs you currently have, along with the schools that rejector greatest number of out of state percentage and cheapest. Good luck.

Accept* not rejector. Check out LMU, MSU, Michigan, tuskegee

Depending on your degree and course load per semester, I'd recommended applying to only 1 Ivy League school. In the end the goal is to become a vet. For sure instate school, then those that cover the pre reqs you currently have, along with the schools that rejector greatest number of out of state percentage and cheapest. Good luck.
Thanks! I don't have an instate, just a contract. And the OOS percentages is where my list came from other than my tops, which were largely due to location, since I've lived in the east coast my whole life. But again, goal is to become a vet, so I'm not gonna be picky if I only get into one, I'd be happy to go anyway.
I don't have animal nutrition or cell bio so no Michigan or Tuskegee... but LMU is already on my list!

There's no such thing as an ivy league vet school. I wish people would quit focusing in on that. The university might be considered ivy league but that has very little (basically nothing) to do with their vet school acceptance practices and shouldn't be a big factor when considering where to apply.

Reactions: 6 users
There's no such thing as an ivy league vet school. I wish people would quit focusing in on that. The university might be considered ivy league but that has very little to do with their vet school acceptance practices and shouldn't be a big factor when considering where to apply.

What I meant was the applicants that ivy leagues attract. Compete with 4.0's with superb GRE scores if you'd like. You have to give the committee a chance to know you through interview, some of these ivy leagues don't do interviews and are only objective. Not everyone has the personality or aptitude to be a vet, even if they have the grades.

Thanks! I don't have an instate, just a contract. And the OOS percentages is where my list came from other than my tops, which were largely due to location, since I've lived in the east coast my whole life. But again, goal is to become a vet, so I'm not gonna be picky if I only get into one, I'd be happy to go anyway.
I don't have animal nutrition or cell bio so no Michigan or Tuskegee... but LMU is already on my list!

Oklahoma state has online nutrition and animal science course through continuing education, although it will cost about 1300. I was offered interview at tuskegee and paid for those causes, with declined and got money back upon acceptance to my current school. Always give yourself a choice of choosing, instead of limitation. Good luck!!!

What I meant was the applicants that ivy leagues attract. Compete with 4.0's with superb GRE scores if you'd like. You have to give the committee a chance to know you through interview, some of these ivy leagues don't do interviews and are only objective. Not everyone has the personality or aptitude to be a vet, even if they have the grades.

There are people consistently getting into these "ivy leagues" on these boards without 4.0's or superb GRE scores. A 3.749 GPA plus the experiences she described will very likely get her interviews as long as PS and recommendations are strong. Vet school applications are largely a shot in the dark. I've seen 4.0 GPA people rejected by all your "ivy" schools and those with 3.4 accepted it is often a crap shoot. I just disagree with the only apply to one "ivy" advice because that ivy status really doesn't apply with vet school applications. I do agree with applying to schools that you would fit what they are looking for. For example, Penn appears to be very experience focused if you have a good number of hours applying there might be a good idea, however having 5000 hours won't make up for a 2.7 GPA, but 5000 hours and a 3.5 yes that can work depending on rest of application.

Reactions: 1 users
There's no such thing as an ivy league vet school. I wish people would quit focusing in on that. The university might be considered ivy league but that has very little (basically nothing) to do with their vet school acceptance practices and shouldn't be a big factor when considering where to apply.

Somebody seems a bit resentful. DVM dream, I really hope you reach your dream. Just don't show resentment towards others because you haven't gotten there yet. Applicants determine acceptance rate. I'm already in a stateside vet school, and I'm only trying to help those that want advice on getting in from recent accepted applicant. So please, do us a favor and calm down and take a seat.

Somebody seems a bit resentful. DVM dream, I really hope you reach your dream. Just don't show resentment towards others because you haven't gotten there yet. Applicants determine acceptance rate. I'm already in a stateside vet school, and I'm only trying to help those that want advice on getting in from recent accepted applicant. So please, do us a favor and calm down and take a seat.

:laugh:

I'm in my third year of vet school right now. I've been on these forums for five years helping applicants. I've seen the trends of the various schools and the people they do accept. Maybe you need to calm down and take a seat and listen. I'm not saying what I'm saying to be mean but to help since I've been around this block a number of times. Ivy league isn't what you think it is when it comes to vet school admissions.

Reactions: 5 users
:laugh:

I'm in my third year of vet school right now. I've been on these forums for five years helping applicants. I've seen the trends of the various schools and the people they do accept. Maybe you need to calm down and take a seat and listen. I'm not saying what I'm saying to be mean but to help since I've been around this block a number of times. Ivy league isn't what you think it is when it comes to vet school admissions.

great job. clap clap clap. you are cool

great job. clap clap clap. you are cool

Someone needs to learn a bit of maturity. People are going to disagree with you many times in vet school, you need to learn to handle it with tact. To be honest, some of your recommendations in this thread have been great, I looked. You really do notice that tailoring the application to the school is the best idea. However, I just disagree on the ivy thing based on my observations over the years. No reason to turn into an asshat because someone is not in agreement with you. The point is to give accurate info to others, as you already stated you want to do. So you shouldn't have a problem when someone else says what you are saying isn't totally accurate. Would you not want a classmate to do the same for you if you have something figured out not completely accurately in vet school? Or would you have this same attitude towards them?

because your profanity shows a level of maturity right? thanks for the insight. I suppose we just have to agree to disagree. Thank you for your input

From my understanding, the "Ivy League" is just 8 colleges that have a connotation of being academically rigorous and prestigious. However, of the two of these schools that have vet schools attached, neither of them are "ranked" as #1 for vet schools. Now, don't get me wrong, vet school rankings are complete crap in my opinion, but if these "prestigious ivy league schools" aren't the top 2 vet schools, then why the heck would it matter? Bringing "ivy league" into the conversation is meaningless. Each school looks for its own things, some put more weight or emphasis on one thing or the other, and the smartest choice is to match your strengths with what the school is looking for (while also minimizing debt of course).

Reactions: 2 users
From my understanding, the "Ivy League" is just 8 colleges that have a connotation of being academically rigorous and prestigious. However, of the two of these schools that have vet schools attached, neither of them are "ranked" as #1 for vet schools. Now, don't get me wrong, vet school rankings are complete crap in my opinion, but if these "prestigious ivy league schools" aren't the top 2 vet schools, then why the heck would it matter? Bringing "ivy league" into the conversation is meaningless. Each school looks for its own things, some put more weight or emphasis on one thing or the other, and the smartest choice is to match your strengths with what the school is looking for (while also minimizing debt of course).

Another late nighter! :)

Or maybe super early morninger?

GPA

Experience :

I'm only really going to comment in regards to Tufts and Penn because those are the only two I applied to out of your list. For both of them, I think your hours and GPA are well within the average of students commonly accepted to both schools. However, both are very expensive options so keep that in mind. I don't know anything about your GRE score, since the new grading still confuses me and I don't know what the typical conversions are.

In regards to experience, maybe try to get in some large animal since diversity usually helps. However, I do know Penn asks for your interest and how many hours you have in that field. So if you're small animal, it looks pretty good. If you're interested in something else, I'd try to get as many hours in that field as possible. That being said, things have been changing in Penn's admission process and it's a total crapshoot so who knows.

Make sure your PS's and LORS are solid for Cornell since they don't do interviews. I was just up there for Special Species Symposium and was pretty impressed by the facilities that I saw (granted everywhere is pretty new/fancy looking compared to a lot of Penn since they have room to expand compared us being land locked by roads). Weather totally sucks though for a good part of the year.

For Tufts, they have additional essays that you need to complete. For these, I highly recommend thinking outside of the box and using references to vet med as little as possible. For mine, I used swimming and my year abroad and they really appreciated it and praised it during my file reviews. Also, just double check who you can use for LORs for them. I think they have some specific requirements. This is actually good to do for all schools, as I think there are a few that want like two professors, or won't read any beyond the required 3 (these you have to let them know who you want to read ahead of time, or they'll pick for you)

Other than that, I think things look pretty good. Also, don't forget to list any other hobbies activities your involved in. It all counts!

If you have any Penn specific questions later on, feel free to PM me. And totally don't worry about applying to the two "ivy" vet schools. They're very different programs with a lot to offer. I also tell people to apply to schools that you seem to fit to in regards to criteria, that you are okay with from a financial standpoint and where you can realistically see yourself living. While you will be studying a lot, you also don't want to hate where you're living for those 4 years. If you do, it can definitely contribute to academic troubles and general mental health issues.

GPA

Experience :

I think your stats are pretty good, and I've been told by an admissions counselor at Penn, that they don't weigh the verbal part of the GRE too heavily, and yours is plenty high enough for them. Penn is also notorious for being difficult to figure out who they accept. One of the adcoms told me that she and many others there weigh the personal statement very heavily. She didn't specify what made a good PS, but she said sometimes she reads one and instantly thinks "I really want to meet this person" and then invites them to interview, even it they have a lower GPA or GRE.

That said, I think applying to 10 schools is a lot! Not only is it expensive, but it's time consuming with supplementals too. I would try to narrow down that list based on cost, location, specialties, etc. whatever you consider important factors.

Please keep it civil in this thread. Consider this an official warning. Back and forth is fine just remember that the posters in here may be your colleagues in the future and veterinary medicine is a small world.

I swear to God there is something in the water that some of the pre-vets are drinking nowadays.

Reactions: 3 users
In regards to experience, maybe try to get in some large animal since diversity usually helps. However, I do know Penn asks for your interest and how many hours you have in that field. So if you're small animal, it looks pretty good. If you're interested in something else, I'd try to get as many hours in that field as possible. That being said, things have been changing in Penn's admission process and it's a total crapshoot so who knows.

So is the rule of thumb diversity in experience typically? Is it the case that focusing on what you want to specialize in is the rule only for Penn?

So is the rule of thumb diversity in experience typically? Is it the case that focusing on what you want to specialize in is the rule only for Penn?
Typically you do want to have some diversity of experience no matter where you apply, and I'm sure Penn appreciates that too, but they seem to specifically look to see that you have a significant amount of experience in the field that you say you are interested in on your supplemental. So breadth is still important, but you want a good amount of depth in the field you're most interested in. Honestly that would probably be a good idea no matter where you're applying. You want to be able to explain your interest and show that you know that particular field well. Plus longer experiences are more likely to get you a better LOR.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Ha - both. :)

It's not quite so 'specific' as the way your question makes it sound. Diversity is a good thing, but that doesn't mean having a perfectly even split of 200 (random number from ass) hours in large animal, equine, small animal, etc. It just means having some exposure. You definitely want to have 'focused' experience in your area of interest .... but that's because as a whole your application should create one big unified story. And since your personal statement is going to be saying something like "I want to spend the rest of my life doing goldfish spays" you should probably have a lot of experience to substantiate that claim. So you'll naturally have more experience in the area of interest. Everything in your application should create a sense of trajectory that says "here's who I was" (experiences, grades), "here's who I am" (letters of recommendation, personal statement), and "here's who I want to be" (personal statement). It should all tie nicely together into something that gives the applications people a sense of "yeah, this person is making claims that their experience and grades back up".

Make more sense? Or did I just confuse it even more?

Reactions: 3 users
I think I posted during an "off" time before. Any feedback? :)
So, some very rough estimates (most likely low-balled) just for a little input. I’m hoping to get some equine/LA shadowing experience this summer as well as possibly volunteer at the wildlife rehabilitation center nearish to me.

Senior soon to be super senior, or sophomore with 2 years of college while in highschool, depending on how you want to look at it.
Graduating Spring 2016 with a BS in Zoology.

Grades:
Cumulative GPA: 3.53
Science GPA: 3.31
Last 45 (so far): 3.57

Haven’t taken the GRE, will be taking it this summer.

Veterinary Experience:
~1000 hours SA (most working as kennel staff/vet assistant at a local clinic, a few shadowing at various clinics)

Animal Experience:
~1000 hours paid kennel staff at a pet resort
~100 hours dog trainer (paid)
~300 hours dog trainer (4-H Volunteer)
~200 hours fostering (including bottle feeding kittens)
~300 hours showing dogs, including 7 state 4-H championships (4-H and AKC)

Extracurriculars/Awards/Etc:
-Was on (and currently coach) 4-H dog quiz bowl team – placed well, including state champion one year
-Competitively rock climb
-Several years in leadership with a spay/neuter non-profit doing administrative work, adoption events, fundraisers and whatever else needed to be done
-Current 4-H Dog Project county leader
-Historical reenacting for many years, including as a costumed tour guide (2 years paid part time, going on 10 volunteer only)
-House/pet sitter for a variety of critters/farm animals
-Curling team – some awards
-Dean’s list and a few other academic awards
Probably more things I am forgetting, not sure if all of this is worthy of including in my application.
ETA (now that I've have coffee and woken up):
-Several years in a hawkwatch club, counting migrating raptors
-I'm on several boards and committees in various leadership positions at my church
-Several community service awards
-Science fair judge
-Served as president/photographer/advisory member/ambassador between my club/county 4-H

No research yet, but the school I transferred to this last year has quite a bit of undergrad research opportunities I am hoping to get involved with this next year when my class schedule is a little less crazy.

My instate is UMN. Not 100% on which other schools I am applying for, just have some ideas. I plan to take a gap year after I graduate.

Hello everybody! I'm going to be applying this cycle in the summer and I wanted to know what my chances are looking like.
My cumulative GPA is 3.56, I'm still taking 6 credits this semester and then I graduate so I'm hoping to get my GPA to at least 3.6
I will be taking my GRE in May
I have approximately 400 hours of experience in a SA hospital and 5 hours of equine experience
I'm hoping to submit applications in July and diversifying my experience.
I guess in a sense I don't want to know what my chances are but rather where else can I improve?

I think I posted during an "off" time before. Any feedback? :)
hard to say without the GRE scores present yet. Work really hard on your last few classes. While your GPA isn't low, it isn't high either. I would also work on getting varied vet experience. I'm not sure about UMN specifically, but I think you'll probably get interviews, at least. Basically, I think you have a shot, but you also still can make your application stronger.

hard to say without the GRE scores present yet. Work really hard on your last few classes. While your GPA isn't low, it isn't high either. I would also work on getting varied vet experience. I'm not sure about UMN specifically, but I think you'll probably get interviews, at least. Basically, I think you have a shot, but you also still can make your application stronger.
Thanks! That's kinda what I had figured, good to know my thinking wasn't far off base. :)

Ha - both. :)

It's not quite so 'specific' as the way your question makes it sound. Diversity is a good thing, but that doesn't mean having a perfectly even split of 200 (random number from ass) hours in large animal, equine, small animal, etc. It just means having some exposure. You definitely want to have 'focused' experience in your area of interest .... but that's because as a whole your application should create one big unified story. And since your personal statement is going to be saying something like "I want to spend the rest of my life doing goldfish spays" you should probably have a lot of experience to substantiate that claim. So you'll naturally have more experience in the area of interest. Everything in your application should create a sense of trajectory that says "here's who I was" (experiences, grades), "here's who I am" (letters of recommendation, personal statement), and "here's who I want to be" (personal statement). It should all tie nicely together into something that gives the applications people a sense of "yeah, this person is making claims that their experience and grades back up".

Make more sense? Or did I just confuse it even more?

Nope, this makes sense; it didn't confuse me. Thanks for this input! It's going to be my first VMCAS rodeo, so I'm going to reference this come application time. I definitely want to give adcoms a clear picture.

I'm applying to VMRCVM (in-state), Tufts, University of Minnesota, and Colorado, but I think I need to come up with a few more schools to ensure I make it to matriculation come 2016. I'm worried my GPA can't hang at VMRCVM.

Anyone have any recommendations for schools I should apply to given these quick stats? Interested in exotics and research. Currently a vet tech.

---
Cumulative, current: 3.25
Science. projected: ~ 3.50
Last 45: 4.00

GRE: taken once
V: 161 (87%)
Q: 158 (72%)
A: 5.0 (93%)

Nope, this makes sense; it didn't confuse me. Thanks for this input! It's going to be my first VMCAS rodeo, so I'm going to reference this come application time. I definitely want to give adcoms a clear picture.

I'm applying to VMRCVM (in-state), Tufts, University of Minnesota, and Colorado, but I think I need to come up with a few more schools to ensure I make it to matriculation come 2016. I'm worried my GPA can't hang at VMRCVM.

Anyone have any recommendations for schools I should apply to given these quick stats? Interested in exotics and research. Currently a vet tech.

---

I'm biased now, but check out Illinois! They do first year grade deletes, old course forgiveness, etc. Once you make the initial academic cutoff, they no longer consider academics in the decision.

I had almost identical academic stats as you this past application cycle, just with a lower science (3.2) and last 45 (3.5). Last 45 will definitely help you, so apply to schools that weigh it heavily (Michigan is the only one I can think of off the top of my head). For Tufts and VMRCVM I was waitlisted for an interview, but was never called off of either. Depending on your experiences, PS, etc., you will probably have different results than I did there, especially since VMRCVM is your in-state. But I did make the academic cutoff that pinkpuppy mentioned at Illinois, and eventually got accepted there, so I would also suggest adding Illinois.

I had almost identical academic stats as you this past application cycle, just with a lower science (3.2) and last 45 (3.5). Last 45 will definitely help you, so apply to schools that weigh it heavily (Michigan is the only one I can think of off the top of my head). For Tufts and VMRCVM I was waitlisted for an interview, but was never called off of either. Depending on your experiences, PS, etc., you will probably have different results than I did there, especially since VMRCVM is your in-state. But I did make the academic cutoff that pinkpuppy mentioned at Illinois, and eventually got accepted there, so I would also suggest adding Illinois.

Congrats to both of you about Illinois! Super exciting.

Also, this feedback is super helpful. Thank you both for this input; it'll help me construct an appropriate list for where to put in applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.