This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. I'm posting here again, now with my GRE scores....

I am applying for the first time this coming cycle. I'm a 22yr old, California resident.

Major: Animal Science
Cum GPA: 3.374
Last 45 semester GPA: ~3.517 (I went to a quarter system school, so I think this number might vary for different schools).
Science GPA: 3.086

GRE: Q-157 V-148 (I don't know what happened.... :\ ) A: ?
These ^^^ are scores from my second attempt. My first scores were bad: Q-147 V-148 (did not change -_-) A: 4. I really improved on my quant score though the second time around! :)
I signed up for the test again on Sept. 2. I'm thinking this is cutting it REALLY close to the deadline (all test days in August were full in my area). But, I really want to improve my verbal score (for obvious reasons). And improving my quant score will obviously help. Otherwise, I've already sent my scores in to some schools.

Experience:
SA vet: 330+ hours (ongoing)
-includes: UCD VMTH, SA clinics, and Holistic vet
LA (Dairy Facility): 60 hours
Shelter: 24 hours
Research (animal biology/behavior): 197+ (ongoing)
Overall Total: ~611 hours

LORs:
small animal vet + science professor + research supervisor

I know my stats aren't the greatest, but would really like an honest opinion. I'm definitely applying broadly. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. I'm posting here again, now with my GRE scores....

I am applying for the first time this coming cycle. I'm a 22yr old, California resident.

Major: Animal Science
Cum GPA: 3.374
Last 45 semester GPA: ~3.517 (I went to a quarter system school, so I think this number might vary for different schools).
Science GPA: 3.086

GRE: Q-157 V-148 (I don't know what happened.... :\ ) A: ?
These ^^^ are scores from my second attempt. My first scores were bad: Q-147 V-148 (did not change -_-) A: 4. I really improved on my quant score though the second time around! :)
I signed up for the test again on Sept. 2. I'm thinking this is cutting it REALLY close to the deadline (all test days in August were full in my area). But, I really want to improve my verbal score (for obvious reasons). And improving my quant score will obviously help. Otherwise, I've already sent my scores in to some schools.

Experience:
SA vet: 330+ hours (ongoing)
-includes: UCD VMTH, SA clinics, and Holistic vet
LA (Dairy Facility): 60 hours
Shelter: 24 hours
Research (animal biology/behavior): 197+ (ongoing)
Overall Total: ~611 hours

LORs:
small animal vet + science professor + research supervisor

I know my stats aren't the greatest, but would really like an honest opinion. I'm definitely applying broadly. Thank you!
I don't know about the GRE scores. ETS' opinion is that unless you had some sort of problem on your first exam, your scores often do not increase substantially. Your quant score went up and looks great, but your verbal scores are the same, which suggests another test so close to your last one won't improve that score substantially. THAT SAID, your scores look pretty decent to me, especially your quantitative score.

Your GPA is a teensy bit low, but I don't think it'll make things impossible. Look at the places whose application process favors your strengths and, if possible, set up a meeting with one of the program's advisors before you apply and see what your prospects are. Apply smart.

I really like the variety in your hours, but it looks like the easiest place to improve might be getting more hours, depending on the school's you'd like to apply to. Some schools like to see a variety of quality experiences and say that quantity is less important. Other schools like to see a depth of experience in your specific area of interest. Again, applying smart can help you pick schools that favor variety and look less at your raw hours.

Don't be discouraged. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know about the GRE scores. ETS' opinion is that unless you had some sort of problem on your first exam, your scores often do not increase substantially. Your quant score went up and looks great, but your verbal scores are the same, which suggests another test so close to your last one won't improve that score substantially. THAT SAID, your scores look pretty decent to me, especially your quantitative score.

Your GPA is a teensy bit low, but I don't think it'll make things impossible. Look at the places whose application process favors your strengths and, if possible, set up a meeting with one of the program's advisors before you apply and see what your prospects are. Apply smart.

I really like the variety in your hours, but it looks like the easiest place to improve might be getting more hours, depending on the school's you'd like to apply to. Some schools like to see a variety of quality experiences and say that quantity is less important. Other schools like to see a depth of experience in your specific area of interest. Again, applying smart can help you pick schools that favor variety and look less at your raw hours.

Don't be discouraged. Good luck!

Thank for the opinion! It is so hard not to be discouraged, especially when it seems like everyone is 5 steps ahead of you. :\ But I am trying to be optimistic about my chances!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone?? :owle:
Hi! I am new to SDN and would like little input about what you guys think about my application.

21 year old Texas resident
I graduate in May 2016 with a B.S. in Zoology

My overall GPA is 3.45
Science GPA is 3.32 (3.23 for Texas A&M)
Last 45 hours: 3.4
GRE: 157 on verbal, 151 on math, 4.5 on essays

Only 3 Letters of Recommendation for Texas, 2 from veterinarians and one from my research PI. For the application sent through VMCAS, I have an extra letter from my mentor at the wildlife rehab center I intern/volunteer in.

Experiences:
Small Animal- Veterinary Technician at AAHA clinic for 2 years, roughly 1800 hours
Small Animal- Veterinary Assistant at AAHA clinic for one summer, 100 hours
Large Animal- Veterinary Technician for independent equine veterinarian, 10 hours
Exotic Animal- Zookeeper intern one summer, 480 hours. I also listed 20 hours vet supervised when I got to shadow the zoo vet.
Wildlife- Wildlife rehab intern one semester, 120 hours. I have continued volunteering with roughly 300 hours since my internship.
Research- Research assistant with the Smithsonian, roughly 60 hours. I got a lot of lab technique experience here, and we did field work catching specimens.
Research- Undergraduate Research Scholar, roughly 60 hours. This is my current job, and I am working on my own project with reptiles and their ecology.
Volunteer- State Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, 15 hours.
Volunteer- Dog Rescue, 10 hours.
(I have about 100 more volunteer hours in TX animal shelters, but there were no sign-in sheets or ways to log hours, and the staff would not know me, so I didn't put these hours on my application since they couldn't be proven)

I applied to 5 schools: Texas A&M, UF, Auburn, Colorado State, and Midwestern University.

I know my GPA is kind of low, which is probably what I am most worried about. I also understand that my GRE scores are pretty bad, not including my essay scores (which, to my knowledge, isn't very weighted by admissions). I have been working almost full time since graduating high school to be able to pay for college. My first two years of college were attended at a community college, and then I transferred to a university where I will have attended 3 years by the time of graduation.
I am very passionate about vetmed (as I am sure most people reading this are), but I am also passionate about environmental conservation, recycling, and public education. I have wanted to be a vet since I was 4 years old, but have always been concerned with environmental issues as well. While working at the zoo, I led zoo classes for kids and taught them about species preservation and what they can do to help. I also helped put together events to fund-raise for conservation. When I worked as a vet tech for 2 years, I instilled a recycling program and petitioned for a water dispenser for clients instead of plastic water bottles. I wrote a lot about this in my essays, as well as my passion for public education and the importance of preventative care. I feel like my experiences will help my application a lot, but I worry that I don't have enough large animal experience. I helped a vet go on house calls for a day (only 10 hours), and plan on going more often when she is in town and needing help. I am also taking horsemanship classes with an experienced horse mentor to try and help increase my knowledge on large animals, but that is not in my application. I have really good people skills, and I make people laugh. I am really good under pressure, and thanks to my background in wildlife rehab and emergency medicine, I can think clearly quickly (which has been useful in emergency situations). I feel like I know a lot about animals and have soaked up a lot of veterinary skills and knowledge while working at a vet hospital... I make it my main goal to learn as much as I can now so that I have that under my belt in vet school. The veterinarians I work with always consult with me about any reptile, bird, or exotic animal cases because I know a lot about these animals. Sometimes I get called in to help restrain exotic animals or talk to clients about them. This stuff can be portrayed in an interview, but I am worried that admissions will see my GRE and GPA and automatically put me in the reject pile.
What do you think my chances are for getting into vet school this cycle? Thank you so much for your time and input! It is much appreciated!

So yeah, your GPA is a bit on the lower side, but you seem to have some good experience hours and, more importantly, something to talk about that isn't just "I love animals". You mention the horsemanship classes but aren't going to include them on your application? Why not? It certainly counts as animal experience and in my opinion, every little thing matters.

My overall advice would be to expand your school list if you haven't already submitted; with a slightly lower GPA (and from what I understand, TAMU usually wants stronger grades, even for IS applicants) you want to apply more broadly to increase your chances. If you've decided against that for personal and/or financial reasons, that's cool, but it's better to apply more broadly now than to look back and wish you had later.

Can anyone from UCD Dublin tell me about my chances of getting in? I've heard they look a lot more at experience rather than grades. And I want to go into large animal, particularly dairy cows/goats/sheep so I think they're a great fit for me.

"Lower Second Class Honours" GPA = 3.0 - 3.29
GRE scores= Verbal 155, Quantitative 156, Analytical 4

Experience:

Organic Dairy Farm: ~1500 hours
Mixed Vet practice: 100 hours
Volunteer at SPCA: 500 hours

Thanks for your help!

So yeah, your GPA is a bit on the lower side, but you seem to have some good experience hours and, more importantly, something to talk about that isn't just "I love animals". You mention the horsemanship classes but aren't going to include them on your application? Why not? It certainly counts as animal experience and in my opinion, every little thing matters.

My overall advice would be to expand your school list if you haven't already submitted; with a slightly lower GPA (and from what I understand, TAMU usually wants stronger grades, even for IS applicants) you want to apply more broadly to increase your chances. If you've decided against that for personal and/or financial reasons, that's cool, but it's better to apply more broadly now than to look back and wish you had later.
Thank you!! I really want to go to UF but I know that the chances of getting in there are slim because of my grades. I think if I don't get in this cycle I'll move to FL so I can apply as an in state applicant. I plan on living there and that's where I grew up, so I figure that it will benefit me to go to vet school where I start my life. Plus I love the school. We will see. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Hey y'all, it would be awesome to get some feedback and advice! I was feeling pretty okay about my chances, and now i'm freaking out.

I am applying for my first time

Major: Bio-veterinary science
Cum GPA: 3.80
Last 45: 3.53
Science: 3.6

GRE: V: 158 Q: 145
I am trying to decide if I have enough time to retake before applications are due, I cannot take it before the 25th, thoughts?

Experience:
Research in an epigenetic lab: 640+ hours (current experience)
300 hours at a mixed animal clinic that mostly focused on large animals
100 hours at a small animal clinic
150 hours divided between a few humane societies
150 hours divided between 2 zoos
Vice president of academics for my sorority

I also played college volleyball for 2 years at a junior college before transferring to my current university

LORS: large animal vet+ anatomy professor+research advisor+volleyball coach

I am applying to WSU, KSU, and UT. What schools would you recommend applying to with a low GRE?

My main concern is that my last semester I got a 3.0 and I had to take an incomplete in one of my summer classes due to my mom having a stroke last year and still having major repercussions from it. I was hoping my GRE would be good, but it isn't. What would your advice be? How should I explain my trouble with school due to helping my mom after her stroke without sounding like I am just making excuses.

Like catsmeow32, I also felt good about it but am now freaking out!

This is my first time applying - only to my IS (CSU). They have ~70 spots for IS applicants.

Major: Zoology
Cum GPA: 3.66
Science: I'm not sure... I don't want to miscalculate this.

GRE: V: 163 Q: 151 (a little low, I know) A: 5.5 (CSU doesn't look at this at all, though)

Experience
Veterinary
~200 hours at a low cost spay/neuter clinic
~200 hours at a small animal (including exotics) clinic
~25 hours doing ICU foal care at CSU
~8 hours participating in a small animal surgery lab at CSU - they let me neuter a cadaver and do other exploratory things
Animal
~40 hours at a cat shelter
~850 hours at a large animal rescue (had food animals, small animals, equine, zoo animals, and avian) and fostering for this organization
~65 hours taking care of the feeder rodents for a raptor rehab center
~100 hours at my current 4-H internship (equine, food animal, avian)
various hours of pet sitting

LORS (PPI for CSU):
2 vets (working on one PPI)
thesis adviser
supervisor for 4-H internship

My hours are a little on the light side, but my GPA is decent. What do you all think?
I also did my honors thesis - a literature review on how gonadectomy affects cancer rates in canids.

Hello! I’d love some feedback on my stats.
21 y/o female, 1st time applicant, California resident

Applying:
UC Davis, Cornell, Colorado, Tufts, Ohio, UPenn, Michigan, Wisconsin, Kansas, Washington, Purdue, NC State, Minnesota, and Oregon

Academics:
Cornell University, B.S. Animal Science
Cumulative GPA: 3.51
Science GPA: 3.20
Last 45 Hours GPA: 3.66
GRE: 160 V, 160 Q, 4 AW (I have scheduled a retake for this month)

Veterinary Experience:
· 600 hours interning in a small animal hospital
· 240 hours working as a veterinary assistant for a mobile board-certified small animal surgeon

Animal Experience:
· 160 hours interning at an animal sanctuary (exotics, wildlife)
· 200 hours interning at an elephant sanctuary in Thailand
· 72 hours volunteering at a marine mammal rehabilitation center
· 200 hours volunteering at a small animal shelter
· 64 hours volunteering at a raptor rehabilitation center

Research:
· 288 hours working in the Elephant Listening Project lab, which uses bioacoustic technologies to study African Forest Elephants
· 407 hours working in a lab where I conducted experiments serving to assess mineral bioavailability of staple food crops using chickens as a model

Employment:
· 360 hours as a Taekwondo instructor

Extracurricular/Community Service:
· 500 hours as a junior docent (tour guide) in a wildlife museum
· 150 hours Co-President of Cornell Vegan Society
· 70 hours Co-President of Elephant Ears (an organization that promotes public awareness of elephant conservation)
· 160 hours as a TA for a social justice course

Awards/Honors:
· Cornell Dean’s List for Spring 2014, Fall 2014, and Spring 2015
· Cornell Undergraduate Research Board Symposium Presenter
· Morrison Award (“For Animal Science majors who have excelled in academics, research honors program and leadership roles in Animal Science undergraduate organization”)
· Junior Chamber Music Award
· Junior Book Award
· AP Scholar with Distinction
· Golden State Seal Merit Diploma
· California Scholarship Federation Sealbearer

eLORs:
· My Cornell faculty advisor within Animal Science who was also my professor for 3 Animal Science courses (PhD)
· The owner of the small animal hospital where I interned (DVM)
· My research advisor/principal investigator (PI) at Cornell (PhD)
· The veterinary surgeon who I worked as an assistant for (DVM)

Hey everyone!

I'm applying this cycle and was planning to only apply to my IS, but now I'm wondering I should apply to some out of state schools too. My IS is WSU, and I was thinking about adding ISU, Illinois, Mizzou, and Oregon.

22 yr old female, BS in Biology with an Ecology focus, minor in Quantitative Science

cGPA: 3.65
sGPA: a bit over 3.5, depends what classes are included
last 45: 3.75

GRE
163 Q, 159 V. Haven't gotten my AW results back

Vet experience
1400 hr at feline only practice
20 at monthly spay and neuter clinic (dogs and cats)
Both of these are on going

Animal experience
40 hours LA at sanctuary--ongoing
160 hours at wildlife rehab center as volunteer and intern--ongoing
350 hours at ferret shelter

Research experience
400 hours in plant microbiology lab. Worked on my own independent projects, and presented at my undergrads research symposium

Several other community service projects and some leadership things unrelated to vet med that I'm listing as well

LORs
Vet I work for
PI from research lab
Professor from my major

I'm mostly worried about my experiences. I know they're not as broad as they could be, but I'm hoping my research experience and GRE might help make up for it.

Any thoughts?

Hey guys! I'm new here and was hoping for some insight on how I will look as an applicant for this cycle. I'm most worried about my experience hours since I feel like so many people go in with thousands of hours and I definitely don't have that. I feel like I'm kind of a middle-of-the-road candidate. Thanks in advance!

22 year old, first time applicant, from Connecticut, entering my senior year in college

Applying to: Penn, Tufts, Cornell, Iowa (contract), Wisconsin, Ohio, Colorado, Florida, Minnesota

Academics: Biology major at a top 5 liberal arts school
GPA: 3.56
Science: 3.43
Last 45: 3.54
GRE Part 1: Q- 153, V- 162, AW- 5.0
GRE Part 2: Q- 161, V- 160, AW- 4.5

Vet Experience (700 total)
Small animal- 170 hours
Wildlife center- 320 hours
Exotics/Zoo- 210 hours

Animal Experience (590 total)
Elephant Rehab Center- 40 hours
Cat Socializer at Shelter- 60 hours
Aquarium with seals (also did an observational research project/presentation)- 450 hours
Adventures in Vet Med at Tufts- 40 hours

Research (135 total)
Animal behavior researcher at my undergrad- 15 hours (just started but will continue and hopefully co-author a paper in this upcoming year)
Study abroad research, 3 group projects/papers/presentations- 120 hours

Other
Childcare, tutoring, student teacher/intern- 1,220 hours

LORS
Stats professor
Animal behavior professor
Wildlife veterinarian
Aquarium trainer
Study abroad teacher

I spoke to admissions from Penn about a month ago who told me that they prefer depth of experience and wished to see more "tech" experience in the small animal department. Most of mine is shadowing/volunteering as I've found it hard to find places that will allow me to take on more responsibility due to liability and/or time constraints. At Tufts last summer I was told I have a lot of "cool experience," but that I definitely needed some small animal (at that point I had zero). Right now I want to go into small animal so I don't know if it will look bad that I have my fewest hours there. I just didn't decide until recently, which is why I tried so many different things. I'm still interested in exploring exotics/aquatics, but small animal is where I have felt most at home as I currently volunteer at a great hospital where the vets are fantastic at teaching and where I feel I have seen and learned a lot.

Not too sure where to post this question, but it is in the interest of improving my application, so I'll give it a shot, here...

Do you think veterinary schools would frown upon an applicant taking required classes at multiple colleges, some perhaps at the same time? I have completed an undergraduate science degree, but I want to retake some of my classes to improve their grades. However, I work full time and want to impact my work schedule as little as possible so as not to impact health care benefits, finances, etc. Thus, I'm looking for class times that work for me and between three schools in the area of where I live, I could make a manageable schedule for myself and not take too much time away from work. However, I don't know if vet schools would be put off by that or not. I would hope that they would not, when taking into account my full time job (as a veterinary assistant), but I also know that they like to see intense course loads to show that an applicant can hack the rigor of vet school. Anyone have any experience with a situation like this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not too sure where to post this question, but it is in the interest of improving my application, so I'll give it a shot, here...

Do you think veterinary schools would frown upon an applicant taking required classes at multiple colleges, some perhaps at the same time? I have completed an undergraduate science degree, but I want to retake some of my classes to improve their grades. However, I work full time and want to impact my work schedule as little as possible so as not to impact health care benefits, finances, etc. Thus, I'm looking for class times that work for me and between three schools in the area of where I live, I could make a manageable schedule for myself and not take too much time away from work. However, I don't know if vet schools would be put off by that or not. I would hope that they would not, when taking into account my full time job (as a veterinary assistant), but I also know that they like to see intense course loads to show that an applicant can hack the rigor of vet school. Anyone have any experience with a situation like this?
I did all my pre-reqs divided between 5-6 different schools. It was not a question. What matters is that you do well in them. And yes, rigor is important, but you have to work with what you've got.

Hello! I’d love some feedback on my stats.
21 y/o female, 1st time applicant, California resident

Applying:
UC Davis, Cornell, Colorado, Tufts, Ohio, UPenn, Michigan, Wisconsin, Kansas, Washington, Purdue, NC State, Minnesota, and Oregon

Academics:
Cornell University, B.S. Animal Science
Cumulative GPA: 3.51
Science GPA: 3.20
Last 45 Hours GPA: 3.66
GRE: 160 V, 160 Q, 4 AW (I have scheduled a retake for this month)

Veterinary Experience:
· 600 hours interning in a small animal hospital
· 240 hours working as a veterinary assistant for a mobile board-certified small animal surgeon

Animal Experience:
· 160 hours interning at an animal sanctuary (exotics, wildlife)
· 200 hours interning at an elephant sanctuary in Thailand
· 72 hours volunteering at a marine mammal rehabilitation center
· 200 hours volunteering at a small animal shelter
· 64 hours volunteering at a raptor rehabilitation center

Research:
· 288 hours working in the Elephant Listening Project lab, which uses bioacoustic technologies to study African Forest Elephants
· 407 hours working in a lab where I conducted experiments serving to assess mineral bioavailability of staple food crops using chickens as a model

Employment:
· 360 hours as a Taekwondo instructor

· 500 hours as a junior docent (tour guide) in a wildlife museum
· 150 hours Co-President of Cornell Vegan Society
· 70 hours Co-President of Elephant Ears (an organization that promotes public awareness of elephant conservation)
· 160 hours as a TA for a social justice course

Awards/Honors:
· Cornell Dean’s List for Spring 2014, Fall 2014, and Spring 2015
· Cornell Undergraduate Research Board Symposium Presenter
· Morrison Award (“For Animal Science majors who have excelled in academics, research honors program and leadership roles in Animal Science undergraduate organization”)
· Junior Chamber Music Award
· Junior Book Award
· AP Scholar with Distinction
· Golden State Seal Merit Diploma
· California Scholarship Federation Sealbearer

eLORs:
· My Cornell faculty advisor within Animal Science who was also my professor for 3 Animal Science courses (PhD)
· My research advisor/principal investigator (PI) at Cornell (PhD)
· The veterinary surgeon who I worked as an assistant for (DVM)

anyone? :whistle:;)

Have you looked into the specific requirements for all of the schools you are applying to? In particular, if I were you I would calculate you required course GPA for NC State to make sure you meet their minimum GPA requirements for out of state students (at least 3.4 in cumulative, required course, and last 45). I would check for those kinds of cut offs at the other schools you plan to apply to as well. Beyond that your academics look decent.

However, your vet experience is all small animal if I'm reading this correctly. The animal experiences look cool, and so does the research, but you really want to have experiences in a veterinary setting/supervised by a veterinarian in more than one area. I've seen many schools suggest three different areas in order to be competitive - small animal, large animal, research, food animal production, exotic, aquatic, wildlife, zoological medicine, etc. NCSU is one of those. The good news is I believe Davis only requires something like 180 hours and isn't as concerned about the diversity issue so that might work out for you if you meet their academic requirements.

You might want to look at NCSU's eligibility requirements. It is very, very competitive for OOS students.
https://cvm.ncsu.edu/education/dvm/admission/eligibility/
Most schools don't have things laid out quite so specifically so that page is really nice. NCSU is the only school of the ones you're applying to that I also applied to so that's why I'm mentioning it so much, but you want to do this kind of research for the others as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Alright, I've read through the stats of the past two years of posts comparing myself with mixed emotions ... figured I'd throw mine out for feedback.

Demographics:
32 year old male

Academics:
cGPA: 3.05 (degree completed 10 years ago)
sGPA: 3.87 (completed all prereqs within the last 2 years)
last 45: 3.84

GRE: 156v, 155q, 4.0a

As if completing my undergrad a decade ago wasn't depressing enough, my degree in Aviation Technology incorporated zero of the prerequisites. Regardless, I've found that most schools have 6 or 10 year statutes of limitation on the science prereqs. That said, I started from scratch 2 years ago ...

Veterinary experience:
1500 hours as a vet tech at a small animal hospital

Animal experience:
150 hours combined volunteering at a nature center (mainly wildlife experience) and the Dallas Zoo (volunteered in the giraffe barn)

Research:
100 hours as a research assistant at the University of Texas at Arlington Amphibian and Reptile Diversity Research Center

Work Experience:
Served as a pilot in the Marine Corps for 9.5 years after my undergrad. Still fly in the reserves.

I'm applying to the following schools:
Ohio State
Iowa State (resident)
Kansas State
Georgia

Any feedback is appreciated.

Served as a pilot in the Marine Corps for 9.5 years after my undergrad. Still fly in the reserves.

Semper Fi.

I served as a Marine infantryman in 1/7. Happy to see a veteran (a Marine more specifically) has a passion for veterinary medicine.

Hi! I am brand new member to this site and this is my first post, so I apologize if I'm not doing this right. I am applying to vet schools currently and would like to get some feedback and see what my chances might be.

27 y/o female in California, and a super senior in college (finishing my BS in biology)
If it matters, I'm interested in mostly small animal/wildlife/exotics.

Academics
  • cGPA: 3.52
  • sGPA: 3.77
  • last 45: 3.70
  • GRE: Q - 155, V - 157, a - 4.0 (scheduled to take it again in a week; took it the first time two weeks ago, though, so don't expect to see any dramatic improvements)
Experience

Veterinary: 2,935 total
  • small animal hospitals (2) - 2,500 hours
  • shelter spay/neuter clinic - 135 hours
  • feral cat TNR clinic - 300 hours
Animal: 5,540 total
  • wildlife rehab centers (2) - 1,050 hours
  • ranch (food/large animal) - 300 hours
  • horse stable - 300 hours
  • shelters/rescues (cats and dogs) - 2,600 hours
  • rabbit rescue - 90 hours
  • dog kennel/boarding facility - 1,200
Research: 100 hours
  • turtle field research and embryology (fish) research at my school - 100 hours
Employment/Community Involvement (unrelated to animals/vet med)
  • office manager at physical therapy office, nanny, meals on wheels volunteer - 4,000+ hours
Applying to:
UC Davis
Colorado State
Oregon State
Kansas State
Purdue
(and considering applying to Western U - see below)

eLORS from:
Professor at my school who I do research for
2 vets that I have worked with

My concerns/questions:

-I don't have any LA vet experience (I went to every LA hospital in the area asking to volunteer/shadow, but I got nothing).

-My in-state school (Davis) generally accepts students with higher cumulative GPAs and quantitative GRE scores than me, and I have heard and researched that your in-state should be your best bet (do I have a decent chance at an out of state school?)

-I think I have a good shot at getting into Western, but I have heard very mixed things (I visited and went to an open house and thought it was pretty cool, but veterinarians that I have spoken to have not said great things about Western ... can anyone shed some light on this for me?)

-It has taken me a long time to get through school (I worked full-time while taking a GE class here or there at a community college, and did terribly in many of them, for a few years. Once I decided to pursue vet school, I took more rigorous course loads and got great grades, but my university is very small and simply doesn't offer enough classes, or have enough seats in classes, each semester for me to consistently take even 12 units at a time... will vet schools look at my classes and think I was slacking because of this?)

Any feedback and/or answers would be greatly appreciated!

Hi! I am brand new member to this site and this is my first post, so I apologize if I'm not doing this right. I am applying to vet schools currently and would like to get some feedback and see what my chances might be.

27 y/o female in California, and a super senior in college (finishing my BS in biology)

Academics
  • GRE: Q - 155, V - 157, a - 4.0 (scheduled to take it again in a week; took it the first time two weeks ago, though, so don't expect to see any dramatic improvements)
Experience

• office manager at physical therapy office, nanny, meals on wheels volunteer - 4,000+ hours
Applying to:
UC Davis
Colorado State
Oregon State
Kansas State
Purdue

eLORS from:

My concerns/questions:

-I don't have any LA vet experience (I went to every LA hospital in the area asking to volunteer/shadow, but I got nothing).

-My in-state school (Davis) generally accepts students with higher cumulative GPAs and quantitative GRE scores than me, and I have heard and researched that your in-state should be your best bet (do I have a decent chance at an out of state school?)

-I think I have a good shot at getting into Western, but I have heard very mixed things (I visited and went to an open house and thought it was pretty cool, but veterinarians that I have spoken to have not said great things about Western ... can anyone shed some light on this for me?)

-It has taken me a long time to get through school (I worked full-time while taking a GE class here or there at a community college, and did terribly in many of them, for a few years. Once I decided to pursue vet school, I took more rigorous course loads and got great grades, but my university is very small and simply doesn't offer enough classes, or have enough seats in classes, each semester for me to consistently take even 12 units at a time... will vet schools look at my classes and think I was slacking because of this?)

For Davis, we do not require LA vet experience, also your stats are extremely competitive and based upon last years candidate pool, you would have been offered an interview. However, that does not guarantee that you will be offered an interview this year. I cannot speak for other programs, but I can assure you that we will not look at your application and think that you were "slacking." We look forward to your receiving your application. All the best

Academics
Experience

Applying to:
UC Davis
Colorado State
Oregon State
Kansas State
Purdue

eLORS from:

My concerns/questions:

Your IS school is usually your best chance based off of the number of IS seats offered. Being IS doesn't always mean you could have lower GPA/less experience and still get in. I got rejected at my IS both years I applied, but my chances were greater at being offered admission just based off of the fact that they accept more IS than OOS students. When looking at my GPA, though, OOS actually ended up being my best chance from that aspect.

A lot of students are accepted with absolutely no LA experience. Getting that experience is certainly beneficial, but I don't think it's required anywhere.

As for the 12 credit thing, getting good grades consistently is more important than taking a heavy course load consistently. Some schools look at 'academic rigor,' but I've been told that usually means the school you went to and that you weren't taking just one class a semester or something along those lines.

FWIW, your GRE score is nearly identical to mine, but your GPA is a bit higher and I'm in school now. I say always apply to your IS, but choose a few OOS schools you'd love to attend and that have admission stats that resemble your stats.

Your IS school is usually your best chance based off of the number of IS seats offered. Being IS doesn't always mean you could have lower GPA/less experience and still get in. I got rejected at my IS both years I applied, but my chances were greater at being offered admission just based off of the fact that they accept more IS than OOS students. When looking at my GPA, though, OOS actually ended up being my best chance from that aspect.

A lot of students are accepted with absolutely no LA experience. Getting that experience is certainly beneficial, but I don't think it's required anywhere.

As for the 12 credit thing, getting good grades consistently is more important than taking a heavy course load consistently. Some schools look at 'academic rigor,' but I've been told that usually means the school you went to and that you weren't taking just one class a semester or something along those lines.

FWIW, your GRE score is nearly identical to mine, but your GPA is a bit higher and I'm in school now. I say always apply to your IS, but choose a few OOS schools you'd love to attend and that have admission stats that resemble your stats.

I think that is important to keep in mind a few simple truths. 1) When in doubt always call the school's admissions officer or the associate dean in charge of admissions for advice and consultation regarding your application. Asking pre-vet students or vet students about what you should do is the best way to obtain information that is "second hand" or often wrong - trust me - I do this for a living and half of what I read on here is not true, a half truth or flat out wrong. 2) Given the cost of vet school, it is most financially advantageous to attend an AVMA accredited program that is the least expensive (they all will provide a first rate education). If attending vet school is your dream - seek the best advice that you can get - prepare well and keep believing in yourself.

Reactions: 1 users
I think that is important to keep in mind a few simple truths. 1) When in doubt always call the school's admissions officer or the associate dean in charge of admissions for advice and consultation regarding your application. Asking pre-vet students or vet students about what you should do is the best way to obtain information that is "second hand" or often wrong - trust me - I do this for a living and half of what I read on here is not true, a half truth or flat out wrong. 2) Given the cost of vet school, it is most financially advantageous to attend an AVMA accredited program that is the least expensive (they all will provide a first rate education). If attending vet school is your dream - seek the best advice that you can get - prepare well and keep believing in yourself.
For starters, I think any regular poster on here has always said that the bottom line lies with the schools. No one here would ever discourage communicating with the schools. Nothing in my post was actually commenting on the OP's individual chances or what to do, just answering the questions he/she had at the end. Also, the OP didn't ask about which program was cheapest. We'd all prefer to attend our IS schools, but that doesn't happen for everyone.

I think labeling advice/anecdotes from our personal experiences as "false" or "half-true" isn't exactly accurate. Like you said, you can only speak for your program. I can tell you right now that not every school would agree with the advice you gave the OP.

99.99999% of the time, if someone posts false/outdated information or just plain bad advice, someone will call them out on it or offer better/additional info. I don't think I've ever been given bad advice on here, and SDN is a great place for support, discussion, and information.

Hello! I am not currently applying to vet schools. Until recently I had been strongly put off the thought of applying, largely for economic issues. As such, I am about to graduate undergrad and am just beginning to look into things. I have a strong GPA but I am concerned that my animal experience is limited.

I went to a highly competitive art school for a year before transferring into an animal science program. My grades were not as strong there (probably a 3.5 or 3.6?). I was wondering if I could ask them not to consider that GPA? It does seem irrelevant to my current situation, and my circumstances were hugely different. Also -- would that be seen as a strength or weakness? It seems it could be viewed as flakey that I switched tracks, or in contrast it could add a unique element to my application?

Demographics:
23 yo female

Academics:
Cumulative GPA: 3.83
Science/Math GPA: 3.74
Last 45 credit hours: 3.73

Total credit hours: About 150

GRE: 157 quantitative, 162 verbal (haven't gotten back analytical yet!)

Experience:
~1200 hours employed as a veterinary assistant at a small animal hospital
~100 hours as a vet tech assistant at another small animal hospital
~100 hours large animal split between animal (beef cattle) management group and equine research

Additionally I have ridden horses since I was 11, unsure if this qualifies as large animal experience or not. Does LA experience qualify if it is not in a veterinary setting? There just aren't very many LA veterinarians in my area.

Letters of Recommendation:
3 from veterinarians I currently work with
1 from my advisor
1 from my PI

Research:
~350 hours as a research assistant/field technician in a wildlife (avian) ecology lab
~50 hours as a research assistant in an equine repro lab (with a DVM)

Work Experience:
Art center/gallery where I work as an office assistant as well as designing and orchestrating their weekly webmail and assisting/teaching art classes for children.

I will likely only be applying to UT!

Last edited:
Hello! I am not currently applying to vet schools. Until recently I had been strongly put off the thought of applying, largely for economic issues. As such, I am about to graduate undergrad and am just beginning to look into things. I have a strong GPA but I am concerned that my animal experience is limited.

I went to a highly competitive art school for a year before transferring into an animal science program. My grades were not as strong there (probably a 3.5 or 3.6?). I was wondering if I could ask them not to consider that GPA? It does seem irrelevant to my current situation, and my circumstances were hugely different. Also -- would that be seen as a strength or weakness? It seems it could be viewed as flakey that I switched tracks, or in contrast it could add a unique element to my application?

Demographics:
23 yo female

Academics:
Cumulative GPA: 3.83
Science/Math GPA: 3.74
Last 45 credit hours: 3.73

Total credit hours: About 150

GRE: 157 quantitative, 162 verbal (haven't gotten back analytical yet!)

Experience:
~1200 hours employed as a veterinary assistant at a small animal hospital
~100 hours as a vet tech assistant at another small animal hospital
~100 hours large animal split between animal (beef cattle) management group and equine research

Additionally I have ridden horses since I was 11, unsure if this qualifies as large animal experience or not. Does LA experience qualify if it is not in a veterinary setting? There just aren't very many LA veterinarians in my area.

Letters of Recommendation:
3 from veterinarians I currently work with
1 from my advisor
1 from my PI

Research:
~350 hours as a research assistant/field technician in a wildlife (avian) ecology lab
~50 hours as a research assistant in an equine repro lab (with a DVM)

Work Experience:
Art center/gallery where I work as an office assistant as well as designing and orchestrating their weekly webmail and assisting/teaching art classes for children.

I will likely only be applying to UT!
Yay a future UT applicant!

I don't think they would necessarily completely disregard your GPA from the art school, since it seems that all post-secondary stuff goes into consideration, but I doubt they will count it against you that you switched into a field you preferred and did well in. And considering that your cGPA is above average for most vet schools anyway, you're probably fine in that regard.

Overall I think your academic stats look really good. Your vet experience is great too, if skewed a little towards small animal, but that's normal. I would see if you could get a few hours in one more area (maybe exotics?) and bulk up your LA hours a bit more before you apply. It helps that you worked under a DVM in a lab!

To your question about LA experience, your riding does count as animal experience but no, it won't count for as much as experience as a vet will. They are designated separately on VMCAS and schools tend to put more weight on veterinary experience. The animal experience is still good to have though.

Overall I think you have a good shot at UT :) Is it your in-state? There is some useful information about how they evaluate applications on this page:
https://vetmed.tennessee.edu/admissions/Pages/admissions-process.aspx

20 year old female, BS in Biological Sciences
GPA: 3.653, GRE: V150/Q155
Working at a veterinary clinic, volunteered at a clinic where I worked with exotic animals, dog walked, volunteering at aquarium, volunteered at a horse stable (1x) and have undergrad research involving the motility of breast cancer cells.

For Davis, we do not require LA vet experience, also your stats are extremely competitive and based upon last years candidate pool, you would have been offered an interview. However, that does not guarantee that you will be offered an interview this year. I cannot speak for other programs, but I can assure you that we will not look at your application and think that you were "slacking." We look forward to your receiving your application. All the best

Thank you for the reassuring response! I am definitely excited about the prospect of going to Davis, as it has been my dream school for as long as I've wanted to be a veterinarian. Touring the facility last year really reinforced that dream. But honestly -- after referring to the Veterinary Medical School Admission Requirements book -- I had sort of come to accept that I just wouldn't even make it to an interview because of my cumulative GPA and quantitative GRE score, so it is really nice to know that that may not be the case after all and that my dream can live on!

Congrats on getting in! I'm definitely going to be applying to my IS (UC Davis), but I have some OOS schools that I am applying to or considering applying to as well. I've ruled out the OOS schools that have much higher average stats than I do. Two supplemental applications that I've come across so far have asked for the number of units taken and GPA acquired for each individual semester that I attended college, but they do give you the opportunity to explain yourself, which is good. I met with an advisor at one OOS school and she told me that when they see that I'm applying from California they'll give me some leeway on my lighter semesters because it's just so notoriously difficult to get into classes here. I'm not counting on that being the case for all schools, though.

Thank you for the reassuring response! I am definitely excited about the prospect of going to Davis, as it has been my dream school for as long as I've wanted to be a veterinarian. Touring the facility last year really reinforced that dream. But honestly -- after referring to the Veterinary Medical School Admission Requirements book -- I had sort of come to accept that I just wouldn't even make it to an interview because of my cumulative GPA and quantitative GRE score, so it is really nice to know that that may not be the case after all and that my dream can live on!

Congrats on getting in! I'm definitely going to be applying to my IS (UC Davis), but I have some OOS schools that I am applying to or considering applying to as well. I've ruled out the OOS schools that have much higher average stats than I do. Two supplemental applications that I've come across so far have asked for the number of units taken and GPA acquired for each individual semester that I attended college, but they do give you the opportunity to explain yourself, which is good. I met with an advisor at one OOS school and she told me that when they see that I'm applying from California they'll give me some leeway on my lighter semesters because it's just so notoriously difficult to get into classes here. I'm not counting on that being the case for all schools, though.
Thanks!

Interesting, had no idea that having a hard time scheduling classes was a 'California thing.' Can you expand on that?

I've applied to the midwest schools and UF, so my information primarily pulls from my experiences with them. For them, lighter semesters are usually only an issue if you're still not performing well with lower credit loads, or if they have to pick between someone with a high GPA/low class load and high GPA/heavy class load and course load is really the only appreciable difference between applicants (on paper, anyways).

Definitely be realistic when it comes to picking schools. For example, me applying to Cornell would have been a bad idea. 1. I wouldn't have been competitive with their pool 2. I wouldn't have wanted to go. Look at everything from tuition, costs, electives/curriculum, etc. Good luck!!

Okay guys, looking for a little outside perspective on my chances.

Demographics:
22-year-old female

Academics:
-Currently going into junior year at LSU, and enrolled in the '3+1' program to hopefully make first year of vet school count as my senior year of undergrad.
-Member of the Honors College
-GPA (cumulative, last 45, and required): 4.0

GRE: 163v, 156q. Analytical isn't back yet but LSU doesn't look at that score so it isn't really relevant.

Veterinary experience:
4,000+ hours as a veterinary assistant working at a very upscale small-animal clinic. It's a very large hospital so I see a wide range of cases and I have experience with ultrasound, CT scans, and extensive dental procedures. We occasionally see exotics for minor procedures as well. Two of the vets I work for are very involved at the vet school and are quite confident in my chances of admission.

Animal experience:
1500+ hours in a large boarding facility - dogs, cats, birds, rabbits, ferrets, guinea pigs, the occasional reptile, etc.

Volunteer experience:
100+ hours for a non-profit organization that helps victims of human trafficking.

Applying to:
Louisiana (Resident)

Letter of Recommendation:
-5 different vets from the clinic where I work, including the aforementioned two who are very involved with the vet school.

Academically I think I'm pretty solid, and I definitely have plenty of experience with small animal medicine. It's mostly the lack of large animal and exotic experience I have concerns about. I'm looking into potentially shadowing an equine vet sometime between now and the end of the year, but I don't have anything solid yet.

The vets I work for say I'm pretty much a sure thing, but I'm looking to get a more objective opinion on my chances. Feedback would be appreciated!

Hi! First time applicant here, 22 y/o female Mississippi resident, applying to my IS, Mississippi State. I graduated in May with a B.S. in Biomedical Sciences and a minor in Chemistry.

Overall GPA: 3.54
Science GPA: 3.36
Last 45: 3.75

GRE: 148 Q / 156 V / 3.5 A

Vet Experience:
50 hrs at a SA clinic
220+ hrs at a SA/Exotics clinic (ongoing experience)
50 hrs at an Equine medicine/surgery clinic (ongoing experience)

Animal Experience:
15 years of horse ownership (I'm not sure if this should be entered on VMCAS under Animal Experience)
500+ hrs volunteering with an Equine rescue organization (ongoing experience) [I foster for and have adopted from them as well, if that means anything; I also take pictures for their website, some of which have been featured in their yearly calendar for the past three years]
500+ hrs 4-H Equine (from when I was younger)
300+ hrs Pet-sitting SA

Research Experience:
2000 hrs Bioorganic Chemistry Research
250 hrs Physical/Computational Chemistry Research

LORS:
Vet from the first SA clinic above
2 Research supervisors

I know my vet experience hours are pretty low. I thought I wanted to go to medical school up until the end of my junior year of college, then had a "duh!" moment one day and realized vet med would be something I'd enjoy more. I've always known that I wanted to go into the medical field, and having been a huge animal person for my entire life and owned/ridden/cared for horses for nearly 15 years, it just makes sense to me that I'd be happier in vet med. I got a job at the SA/exotics vet clinic mentioned above at the beginning of July and I love it.

Okay guys, looking for a little outside perspective on my chances.

Demographics:
22-year-old female

Academics:
-Currently going into junior year at LSU, and enrolled in the '3+1' program to hopefully make first year of vet school count as my senior year of undergrad.
-Member of the Honors College
-GPA (cumulative, last 45, and required): 4.0

GRE: 163v, 156q. Analytical isn't back yet but LSU doesn't look at that score so it isn't really relevant.

Veterinary experience:
4,000+ hours as a veterinary assistant working at a very upscale small-animal clinic. It's a very large hospital so I see a wide range of cases and I have experience with ultrasound, CT scans, and extensive dental procedures. We occasionally see exotics for minor procedures as well. Two of the vets I work for are very involved at the vet school and are quite confident in my chances of admission.

Animal experience:
1500+ hours in a large boarding facility - dogs, cats, birds, rabbits, ferrets, guinea pigs, the occasional reptile, etc.

Volunteer experience:
100+ hours for a non-profit organization that helps victims of human trafficking.

Applying to:
Louisiana (Resident)

Letter of Recommendation:
-5 different vets from the clinic where I work, including the aforementioned two who are very involved with the vet school.

Academically I think I'm pretty solid, and I definitely have plenty of experience with small animal medicine. It's mostly the lack of large animal and exotic experience I have concerns about. I'm looking into potentially shadowing an equine vet sometime between now and the end of the year, but I don't have anything solid yet.

The vets I work for say I'm pretty much a sure thing, but I'm looking to get a more objective opinion on my chances. Feedback would be appreciated!
Long story short: I think you'll be fine.

You're basically maxed out in both academic and experience stats. Just make sure you write good essays and practice for your interview to really knock 'em dead.

Hi! First time applicant here, 22 y/o female Mississippi resident, applying to my IS, Mississippi State. I graduated in May with a B.S. in Biomedical Sciences and a minor in Chemistry.

Overall GPA: 3.54
Science GPA: 3.36
Last 45: 3.75

GRE: 148 Q / 156 V / 3.5 A

Vet Experience:
50 hrs at a SA clinic
220+ hrs at a SA/Exotics clinic (ongoing experience)
50 hrs at an Equine medicine/surgery clinic (ongoing experience)

Animal Experience:
15 years of horse ownership (I'm not sure if this should be entered on VMCAS under Animal Experience)
500+ hrs volunteering with an Equine rescue organization (ongoing experience) [I foster for and have adopted from them as well, if that means anything; I also take pictures for their website, some of which have been featured in their yearly calendar for the past three years]
500+ hrs 4-H Equine (from when I was younger)
300+ hrs Pet-sitting SA

Research Experience:
2000 hrs Bioorganic Chemistry Research
250 hrs Physical/Computational Chemistry Research

LORS:
Vet from the first SA clinic above
2 Research supervisors

I know my vet experience hours are pretty low. I thought I wanted to go to medical school up until the end of my junior year of college, then had a "duh!" moment one day and realized vet med would be something I'd enjoy more. I've always known that I wanted to go into the medical field, and having been a huge animal person for my entire life and owned/ridden/cared for horses for nearly 15 years, it just makes sense to me that I'd be happier in vet med. I got a job at the SA/exotics vet clinic mentioned above at the beginning of July and I love it.
Without being familiar with Mississippi's admission statistics/process: Your science GPA is a bit low, as is your QGRE score. Your vet hours are on the lower end, too, but you have quite a lot of research experience. I'd make good use of your personal statement to describe how you switched career paths, which will help the adcoms understand why your hours are lower. If it's not too late, look into retaking the GRE. A higher Q score can help you a bit when your science GPA is on the lower end (it won't 100% make up for it though).

I personally would list horse ownership because it is something less common among applicants. When you calculate hours for that, be realistic about it. You didn't care for your horse 24 hours a day. Good luck!

Thank you! I don't have time to retake the GRE but I definitely plan on retaking it next year if I don't get in this year. I'd have many more vet experience hours next year as well due to my job.

Mississippi State's website says that the typical class is about 85 students and half of that are usually MS residents. It also says that the Mississippi pool usually has 70-80 applicants, so I don't think it's too bad of a chance to begin with. We'll see, though. I'm definitely planning on mentioning the career path switch in my PS (which is still in the works), but I'm not quite sure how to go about explaining it without saying something along the lines of "I like animals more than people" (because human interactions play an important part in vet med, of course, and I don't want to come across as someone who thinks they'll never have to interact with a person).

ETA: Would 15hrs/week and 500 weeks be pushing it for horse ownership? Because if riding, etc. is included, that eats up a lot of time. I'm not sure what would be a conservative estimate of 14 years of owning/riding horses!

Last edited:
Thank you! I don't have time to retake the GRE but I definitely plan on retaking it next year if I don't get in this year. I'd have many more vet experience hours next year as well due to my job.

Mississippi State's website says that the typical class is about 85 students and half of that are usually MS residents. It also says that the Mississippi pool usually has 70-80 applicants, so I don't think it's too bad of a chance to begin with. We'll see, though. I'm definitely planning on mentioning the career path switch in my PS (which is still in the works), but I'm not quite sure how to go about explaining it without saying something along the lines of "I like animals more than people" (because human interactions play an important part in vet med, of course, and I don't want to come across as someone who thinks they'll never have to interact with a person).

ETA: Would 15hrs/week and 500 weeks be pushing it for horse ownership? Because if riding, etc. is included, that eats up a lot of time. I'm not sure what would be a conservative estimate of 14 years of owning/riding horses!
For the ownership, do your best to accurately estimate time spend feeding/cleaning, riding, training, etc. I don't own a horse, so I can't comment on the 15hrs/week thing!

There are a few scattered threads here about people switching from MD to DVM. We even have a poster somewhere around here who left med school for vet school. Try searching for those and seeing what previous advice has been. I say just write your PS and explain yourself. What was the "duh moment" that made you switch paths? It doesn't have to be something like "I'd rather be around animals," because hopefully that won't be the reason :p Just tell the story of how you ended up where you are today.

For the ownership, do your best to accurately estimate time spend feeding/cleaning, riding, training, etc. I don't own a horse, so I can't comment on the 15hrs/week thing!

There are a few scattered threads here about people switching from MD to DVM. We even have a poster somewhere around here who left med school for vet school. Try searching for those and seeing what previous advice has been. I say just write your PS and explain yourself. What was the "duh moment" that made you switch paths? It doesn't have to be something like "I'd rather be around animals," because hopefully that won't be the reason :p Just tell the story of how you ended up where you are today.

I will definitely look those up, thanks! I think what it was is that I finally realized after 3 years of volunteering with the horse rescue and seeing countless neglect cases and awful injuries that my interest was geared more toward helping animals. I'm definitely tying the horse rescue into my PS though, regardless! It's the main organization I was involved with throughout undergrad, as opposed to on-campus clubs and stuff that most of my classmates took part in.

I will definitely look those up, thanks! I think what it was is that I finally realized after 3 years of volunteering with the horse rescue and seeing countless neglect cases and awful injuries that my interest was geared more toward helping animals. I'm definitely tying the horse rescue into my PS though, regardless! It's the main organization I was involved with throughout undergrad, as opposed to on-campus clubs and stuff that most of my classmates took part in.
It sounds like you have a foundation for a great PS. Good luck!!

Hi everyone! I just finished filling out my VMCAS, and (like many of you) have concerns about my chances of getting accepted.

I'm a 22 y/o male applying IS to Virginia-Maryland (Virginia resident).
I will graduate with a B.S. in Animal Science, Pre-Vet concentration in spring 2016.
Before I arrived at my university I had no plans to pursue veterinary medicine, and I had almost no prior animal experience. So all of my animal and vet experience has been gained over a period of about 3 years.
I am most interested in large animal medicine going into a public health field.

Undergrad GPA: 3.42
Science GPA: 3.56
Last 45: 3.59

GRE Scores:
159 quant (74th percentile), 157 verbal (74th percentile), 4.5 writing (80th percentile)

Evaluations:
3 from professors. All of them are DVMs and I have worked closely with each of them outside of class.
-An equine reproductive specialist
-A parasitologist and on-site veterinarian for the university
-Director of the university's animal health lab.

Veterinary Experience:
~400 hours in a small animal clinical enviornment
~200 hours of equine
~200 hours of large animal and small ruminant
~100 hours shadowing a few different large animal and mixed animal vets

Animal Experience:
-Almost no small animal experience outside of veterinary. Family pets.
-About 1150 hours of large animal experience gained through caring for horses, sheep, and milking dairy cows over the last 3 years.
-I have also taken a GenEx course and have been certified in cattle artificial insemination!

Research Experience:
-About 400 hours to date of combined experience across two different labs.
-Research has encompassed pathogen abatement, antibiotic resistance and degradation, creating blood serum tests for use in the field, and general parasitology work.
-This has led to me being a co-author on a paper that has been recently accepted for publication in a scientific journal.
-I am currently in the process of conducting my own funded research, and will be submitting another paper and abstract for publication within the next month.

Employment Experience:
-Resident Assistant for one semester.

I am mostly concerned about having a GPA on the lower end of the spectrum. I am hoping all of my animal and research experiences, including publications, will make up for that!

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I'm a non-trad applicant and would love to hear some feedback about my stats. I know my academic stats are strong, but I worry that my experience hours are lacking, especially after seeing so many of the incredible and in-depth experiences others have listed in this and the successful applicant thread! I'm particularly concerned that I don't have any real laboratory research experience (and unfortunately, don't have time to get anything significant before applications go in).

In an ideal world, I might take another year to bolster my hours, but unfortunately, I really need to apply and enroll this cycle (so that my husband can set up his medical residency rankings to match close to where I end up). My top two schools are Tufts (1) and Penn (2), although I'm considering applying to a whopping 9 programs...any ideas about my chances? Is Illinois a poor choice considering they don't factor in GPA if you fall above a certain cut-off?

(Maybe) applying to: Tufts, Penn, Colorado State, Wisconsin, Illinois, Tennessee, Georgia, VMRCVM, and Washington

B.A. in Political Science and International Affairs
Currently completing a pre-vet post-bacc through Harvard's Health Careers Program

Undergrad GPA: 3.9
Post-bacc GPA: 3.9
Science GPA: 3.9
Last 45: 3.9
(At least I'm consistent!)

GRE: 170 Verbal, 161 Quant (I just retook the test and haven't received my AW score yet, but it was a 5.5 the first time I took it)

Veterinary Experience:
-1100 hours SA clinic (Combination reception/client care and veterinary shadowing/technician's assistant. I'd say 70/30.)
-100 hours equine and small ruminant shadowing at a LA ambulatory practice
-8 hours lab animal shadowing (arranging now, will be completed before I submit)

Animal Experience:
-60 hours non-releasable wildlife care
-30 hours SA kennel
-180 hours shelter volunteer (although this was almost 10 years ago!)

Teaching Experience:
-2000 hours as a high school Life & Environmental Science teacher in American Samoa

Research Experience*:
-600 hours of water security field research in Jodhpur, India (including some minor analysis of the effects of drought conditions on livestock health and survival rates)
*I'm concerned I might not be able to count this as research experience as it was a social science project and not scientific or laboratory research in the traditional sense. Do you think I should categorize it as employment experience instead?

Non-science employment experience:
-6 months as Marketing Director for an education start-up (the contract gig I took between deciding to switch to vet med and starting my post-bacc program)
-2 years in Political Consulting
-1 year (in Marketing & Govt Relations) at an organization serving individuals with developmental disabilities
-1 month research program at the United Nations in Geneva
-3 months of volunteering in an English Literacy lab
-3 years as a Lifeguard in HS (I feel strange listing a high school job, but I was certified in CPR, emergency oxygen administration, first aid, and AED, which may be slightly relevant)

LORs:
-SA vet at my clinic
-Microbiology professor
-Undergrad capstone professor
-President & CEO of the political consulting company where I worked

Last edited:
Hi everyone, so I'm going to be applying next cycle, and just wanted to get some feedback on where I stand, and look at some things to improve on. I am a non-traditional student switching careers so I've been working full time and going to school at nights to finish my pre-reqs.

25 y/o female, 1st time applicant, New Hampshire resident (No IS for me :\ boo)

Applying:
Tufts, Ohio, Washington, UC Davis, Florida, Iowa, Colorado

Academics:
Worcester Polytechnic Institute, B.S. Mathematics
Cumulative GPA: 3.01 (Undergrad)
Cumulative GPA: 4.0 (Post grad)
Science GPA: 3.94
Math & Science: 3.35 (both undergrad & post grad)
Last 45 Hours GPA: 3.74
GRE: 156 V, 162 Q (Should I retake?)

Veterinary Experience:
· 500 - 900 hours interning in an emergency small animal hospital by application time
· trying to get some LA experience but it's been next to impossible

Animal Experience:
· 1200 hours as a groomer for PetSmart
· 5000+ Working with horses (training, grooming, riding, camp counselor, mucking stalls ect.)
· 10,000+ hours as a pet owner

Employment:
· 3 years Data Analyst for an investment company
· 500 hours as a Dunkin Donuts cashier
· 2 years bus girl in a restaurant

· 4 hours Habitat for Humanity (would have done more but I had an allergic reaction and couldn't keep doing it)
· 2 years ROTC for Air Force (They "ran out of money" for scholarships so I left)
· Vice President of an Anime Club
· President of Competitive Math Team

eLORs:
· My Gen Chem professor with whom I have a great relationship
· My writing instructor who claims I'm the best student/thinker she's had in years

Last edited:
Hi there! I submitted my VMCAS ap a few days ago and just can't get my head off of it. Naturally, I am preparing for the worst and wanted to share my stats to see if anyone has any thoughts on what to improve for next cycle...shall the need arise.

I am a non-traditional applicant (29 yo). I was a triple major in college and graduated with 3.82 (with honors in all three). I then did a masters of accounting and proceeded to pass my CPA exam. I worked in investment banking for a year and in a big 4 public accounting firm for 4. I hated it. I have been working on my prereqs for a year now and have a 4.0 (with my last 45 and science being 4.0 as well).

I took the GRE once and got 163V 160Q and 4.5W. Although I can't say my score was exceptional, it seemed on the higher range of acceptable (given that I took it during the summer together with Orgo). Do you think I should be retaking it?

I work part-time as a vet assistant in a low cost (full service) animal clinic and a shelter (over 1,000). I also try to volunteer as a large animal vet clinic as an assistant as time permits. I have ~170 so far. In the summer I volunteered as a vet assistant at the zoo in my home country (~120 hrs). Recently I started volunteering at the animal research lab at my school, where I work under a DVM and help in diagnosing and treating various lab animal conditions ( this has been lots of fun!). Most of my experience is veterinary as I have been working under a DVM, but I do have a bit over 200 hrs volunteering in a shelter...i have my 3 dogs as well, but I didn't put this in the application (should I have?). Should I try to diversify further? Should I look to get more animal experience? I generally try to work under a vet's supervision, but is this something that school don't always look positively on?

I asked for 5 eLORs- 2 from the small animal vets I work with, 1 from the large animal vet, 1 from my physics professor and 1 from my academic advisor. I did not feel that I should be asking for a recommendation from my past employer, just because I have vets to write me good recommendations. Was this a bad move?

I think overall I am self-conscious about two things - I haven't always wanted to do this (although why didn't I?!) and I am still in the process of completing 3 of the prereqs (genetics, orgo 2 and biochem). I feel like having gotten a A's in all other classes, having had a 3.8 with 3 majors and having a CPA should be an indicator of my academic ability, but is this right? Should I be concerned about not applying with all my prereqs taken care of? All schools I applied to say that as long as my prereqs are complete by the end of the spring semester in the year that matriculation is to begin then that's acceptable. Yet, I wanted to see if this is really the case and whether I would be at a disadvantage for applying with a few pending.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Hi everyone, so I'm going to be applying next cycle, and just wanted to get some feedback on where I stand, and look at some things to improve on. I am a non-traditional student switching careers so I've been working full time and going to school at nights to finish my pre-reqs.

25 y/o female, 1st time applicant, New Hampshire resident (No IS for me :\ boo)

Applying:
Tufts, Ohio, Washington, UC Davis, Florida, Iowa, Colorado

Academics:
Worcester Polytechnic Institute, B.S. Mathematics
Cumulative GPA: 3.01 (Undergrad)
Cumulative GPA: 4.0 (Post grad)
Science GPA: 3.94
Math & Science: 3.35 (both undergrad & post grad)
Last 45 Hours GPA: 3.74
GRE: 156 V, 162 Q (Should I retake?)

Veterinary Experience:
· 500 - 900 hours interning in an emergency small animal hospital by application time
· trying to get some LA experience but it's been next to impossible

Animal Experience:
· 1200 hours as a groomer for PetSmart
· 5000+ Working with horses (training, grooming, riding, camp counselor, mucking stalls ect.)
· 100,000+ hours as a pet owner

Employment:
· 3 years Data Analyst for an investment company
· 500 hours as a Dunkin Donuts cashier
· 2 years bus girl in a restaurant

· 4 hours Habitat for Humanity (would have done more but I had an allergic reaction and couldn't keep doing it)
· 2 years ROTC for Air Force (They "ran out of money" for scholarships so I left)
· Vice President of an Anime Club
· President of Competitive Math Team

eLORs:
· My Gen Chem professor with whom I have a great relationship
· My writing instructor who claims I'm the best student/thinker she's had in years

Hi Coopah,

Your post made me smile. Mostly because I admire your determination to switch careers to vet med. Taking classes at night while working full time AND maintaining a post-grad GPA of a 4.0 is no easy task! And trust me, that speaks volumes about you (in very good ways). Not only does it show you can handle difficult curriculum, but that you can excel in it while juggling other tasks. Your science GPA is phenomenal (and in my personal opinion, one of the most important. Let's be honest, if you didn't get an A in art, nobody in vetmed cares. But science matters.) You're last 45 GPA is very good too and definitely something to feel confident with. My only concern with your overall cum GPA is that they will average your undergrad and post-grad GPAs together which will unfortunately drop your beautiful post-grad 4.0 much lower. Some schools will look into your grades in more detail and see that you excelled your 2nd time around (which will give you major brownie points). However, other schools will only consider your numbers before they review you as a person. In that situation, that 3.01 undergrad GPA may hurt you. But in my personal opinion, I think you are very strong in every other academic category which can really make up for one weak area. Plus, you get a great opportunity to explain yourself in your personal statement. Everyone loves a success story!

Here's my take on the GRE. You can always retake and strive for a better score. It can't hurt (except your wallet). If I were in your shoes, I would probably (and very reluctantly) take it again. Not because the scores aren't good, but because I would want the highest possible score to make up for that averaged cumulative GPA that might weigh you down. There's a lot of give and take with vetmed apps. My GRE scores sucked but I made up for it with a really good GPA. Also, all schools won't weigh the GRE the same. Some put a lot of emphasis on it and some don't care at all. I think your scores are very competitive as is, but if you think you can raise them at all, it would be worth it.

Your experiences are good. You've got a nice mix of SA and LA which is great. I would not mention experience as a pet owner...at least not counting towards animal experience hours. I'm pretty sure it was actually noted in the VMCAS app last year that owning pets is not a significant experience. They pretty much expect that us animal lovers have all had pets before. The personal statement is a great place to throw that in.

Overall, I think you're quite the competitive applicant! You have a very admirable and diverse story that will help you a lot. I was also a 2nd career non-trad, and I know what perseverance and guts it took to get to where you are. They know it too. Own it ;)

Hi there! I submitted my VMCAS ap a few days ago and just can't get my head off of it. Naturally, I am preparing for the worst and wanted to share my stats to see if anyone has any thoughts on what to improve for next cycle...shall the need arise.

I am a non-traditional applicant (29 yo). I was a triple major in college and graduated with 3.82 (with honors in all three). I then did a masters of accounting and proceeded to pass my CPA exam. I worked in investment banking for a year and in a big 4 public accounting firm for 4. I hated it. I have been working on my prereqs for a year now and have a 4.0 (with my last 45 and science being 4.0 as well).

I took the GRE once and got 163V 160Q and 4.5W. Although I can't say my score was exceptional, it seemed on the higher range of acceptable (given that I took it during the summer together with Orgo). Do you think I should be retaking it?

I work part-time as a vet assistant in a low cost (full service) animal clinic and a shelter (over 1,000). I also try to volunteer as a large animal vet clinic as an assistant as time permits. I have ~170 so far. In the summer I volunteered as a vet assistant at the zoo in my home country (~120 hrs). Recently I started volunteering at the animal research lab at my school, where I work under a DVM and help in diagnosing and treating various lab animal conditions ( this has been lots of fun!). Most of my experience is veterinary as I have been working under a DVM, but I do have a bit over 200 hrs volunteering in a shelter...i have my 3 dogs as well, but I didn't put this in the application (should I have?). Should I try to diversify further? Should I look to get more animal experience? I generally try to work under a vet's supervision, but is this something that school don't always look positively on?

I asked for 5 eLORs- 2 from the small animal vets I work with, 1 from the large animal vet, 1 from my physics professor and 1 from my academic advisor. I did not feel that I should be asking for a recommendation from my past employer, just because I have vets to write me good recommendations. Was this a bad move?

I think overall I am self-conscious about two things - I haven't always wanted to do this (although why didn't I?!) and I am still in the process of completing 3 of the prereqs (genetics, orgo 2 and biochem). I feel like having gotten a A's in all other classes, having had a 3.8 with 3 majors and having a CPA should be an indicator of my academic ability, but is this right? Should I be concerned about not applying with all my prereqs taken care of? All schools I applied to say that as long as my prereqs are complete by the end of the spring semester in the year that matriculation is to begin then that's acceptable. Yet, I wanted to see if this is really the case and whether I would be at a disadvantage for applying with a few pending.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

1. Take a deep breath! Your stats are stellar and you have nothing to worry about. Your academic ability is clearly proven. Don't over think it! Easier said than done, I know..

2. Plenty of people apply not having finished all the pre-reqs and it's perfectly fine. I did. I've never heard that hindering your chances at all and it shouldn't.

3. If you haven't always wanted to do it, there's nothing wrong with that either. Just be honest about why you do now.

4. For your Elors, I don't think it matters that you didn't ask for one from your previous employer. I was also a 2nd career non-trad and I didn't use my past job. It's more important IMO to get the vets to vouch for you and your abilities rather than someone who knows nothing about the profession.

5. Your experience is great! Any vet experience is positive experience...that will never be looked down upon. Diversify? Sure. The more the better. If you're getting animal experience that isn't vet supervised, that's still useful. Take anything you can get. But I think you're in good standing as is. I would not have added experience of owning dogs. It's expected that we have pets and not as significant as professional experience.

6. Your GRE scores are competitive. I wouldn't retake it if I were in your shoes because your other stats are great (and I loathed the GRE). But hey, raising that score can only help, right? Totally your call.

Overall I think you have an excellent shot. Best of luck!

1. Take a deep breath! Your stats are stellar and you have nothing to worry about. Your academic ability is clearly proven. Don't over think it! Easier said than done, I know..

Thank you so much for the kind words! Your advice was very helpful!

hey motherofcas,

youre grades and experience is amazing! i wouldn't worry if i were you. i agree with Lulu, i wouldnn't take the gre again. it looks like you have a great chance of getting in! good luck!! :)

Hi Coopah,

Your post made me smile. Mostly because I admire your determination to switch careers to vet med. Taking classes at night while working full time AND maintaining a post-grad GPA of a 4.0 is no easy task! And trust me, that speaks volumes about you (in very good ways). Not only does it show you can handle difficult curriculum, but that you can excel in it while juggling other tasks. Your science GPA is phenomenal (and in my personal opinion, one of the most important. Let's be honest, if you didn't get an A in art, nobody in vetmed cares. But science matters.) You're last 45 GPA is very good too and definitely something to feel confident with. My only concern with your overall cum GPA is that they will average your undergrad and post-grad GPAs together which will unfortunately drop your beautiful post-grad 4.0 much lower. Some schools will look into your grades in more detail and see that you excelled your 2nd time around (which will give you major brownie points). However, other schools will only consider your numbers before they review you as a person. In that situation, that 3.01 undergrad GPA may hurt you. But in my personal opinion, I think you are very strong in every other academic category which can really make up for one weak area. Plus, you get a great opportunity to explain yourself in your personal statement. Everyone loves a success story!

Here's my take on the GRE. You can always retake and strive for a better score. It can't hurt (except your wallet). If I were in your shoes, I would probably (and very reluctantly) take it again. Not because the scores aren't good, but because I would want the highest possible score to make up for that averaged cumulative GPA that might weigh you down. There's a lot of give and take with vetmed apps. My GRE scores sucked but I made up for it with a really good GPA. Also, all schools won't weigh the GRE the same. Some put a lot of emphasis on it and some don't care at all. I think your scores are very competitive as is, but if you think you can raise them at all, it would be worth it.

Your experiences are good. You've got a nice mix of SA and LA which is great. I would not mention experience as a pet owner...at least not counting towards animal experience hours. I'm pretty sure it was actually noted in the VMCAS app last year that owning pets is not a significant experience. They pretty much expect that us animal lovers have all had pets before. The personal statement is a great place to throw that in.

Overall, I think you're quite the competitive applicant! You have a very admirable and diverse story that will help you a lot. I was also a 2nd career non-trad, and I know what perseverance and guts it took to get to where you are. They know it too. Own it ;)

Thank you, you have no idea how much that means to me! I totally understand about my cum GPA for undergrad, I worry about that all the time. I'm trying to mitigate that by mostly applying to schools who value last 45 GPA and Science GPA. There is nothing I can do about my crappy undergrad GPA at this point, so I've just got to show off what I do have lol ;). Also, thank you for the advice on the GRE, it really makes sense to try to improve when I have nothing to lose (except time and money >.<). So thank you, you really made me feel great today!

hey motherofcas,

youre grades and experience is amazing! i wouldn't worry if i were you. i agree with Lulu, i wouldnn't take the gre again. it looks like you have a great chance of getting in! good luck!! :)

Thank you so much to both of you! I didn't believe that the actual application would be so stressful, but oh man it has been..all the what ifs and what should i have done better. I guess at this point I just need to let it go and just be patient :watching:

Thank you, you have no idea how much that means to me! I totally understand about my cum GPA for undergrad, I worry about that all the time. I'm trying to mitigate that by mostly applying to schools who value last 45 GPA and Science GPA. There is nothing I can do about my crappy undergrad GPA at this point, so I've just got to show off what I do have lol ;). Also, thank you for the advice on the GRE, it really makes sense to try to improve when I have nothing to lose (except time and money >.<). So thank you, you really made me feel great today!

I'm glad I could :)

Status
Not open for further replies.