This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have already applied for veterinary school and graduating this December. I am struggling with Organic Chemistry II and know I can get a C if I study hard for the final but if I were to get a D would it be best to retake it? I live 5 hours away from college so I would be unable to take it at the university I took it at. I am hoping I get at least a C but just want to figure out what to do if I don't. I am also starting my MBA in the Spring while I wait to see if I will be accepted into vet school. Just need some advice on what to do.

Thanks

If you get a D I'm pretty sure you will need to retake it.
I'm not an expert in the requirements of all schools or anything but I believe most of them require Organic Chemistry II and I know most of them won't accept less than a C (or C- in some cases?) in their prerequisite courses.

What schools have you applied to? Have you taken a look at their requirements in regards to this?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not an expert in the requirements of all schools or anything but I believe most of them require Organic Chemistry II and I know most of them won't accept less than a C (or C- in some cases?) in their prerequisite courses.

What schools have you applied to? Have you taken a look at their requirements in regards to this?

I have applied to A&M and Colorado State.

I have already applied for veterinary school and graduating this December. I am struggling with Organic Chemistry II and know I can get a C if I study hard for the final but if I were to get a D would it be best to retake it? I live 5 hours away from college so I would be unable to take it at the university I took it at. I am hoping I get at least a C but just want to figure out what to do if I don't. I am also starting my MBA in the Spring while I wait to see if I will be accepted into vet school. Just need some advice on what to do.

Thanks

Can you take a W instead and retake it again in the spring? That way you don't have a D on your record?

Organic chem II is required for: Auburn, Georgia, Iowa, LMU, Michigan, Midwestern, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Purdue, U of Tennessee, Tufts, VA MD, U of Florida, NC state U, Oregon, and Texas. Not sure about others outside the U.S.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you take a W instead and retake it again in the spring? That way you don't have a D on your record?

Organic chem II is required for: Auburn, Georgia, Iowa, LMU, Michigan, Midwestern, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Purdue, U of Tennessee, Tufts, VA MD, U of Florida, NC state U, Oregon, and Texas. Not sure about others outside the U.S.

No because then I will not be able to graduate. I will just try my best and hope I get a C then if not then I will either retake in the spring or summer even though it is going to be hard to drive 5 hours to go to school 3 days a week for one class.

No because then I will not be able to graduate. I will just try my best and hope I get a C then if not then I will either retake in the spring or summer even though it is going to be hard to drive 5 hours to go to school 3 days a week for one class.

So I'm not sure if this is an option for you, but Ochem II is offered online.. I know through Oregon State for sure you can actually take the course completely online, and you can start it at any time throughout the year. You can take up to four months to complete the class, or you could finish the course within 6 weeks even if you wanted to. You go at your own pace. Other schools offer online, or extension courses, but Oregon for sure does since I have many friends that have done it. It is 100% online, and the teachers are generally helpful. I just wanted to let you know since then you wouldn't have to drive so far? Again, not sure if that is an option for you, but I wanted to let you know I'm case you didn't know about that option.

On the other hand, if you choose to finish the class this semester and hope for a C, my advice would be to get a tutor. Watch videos online to help you understand concepts, and also talk to your teacher personally. If they know you need it to graduate and you really need to pass for this semester, at the end of the semester if you end up on the border of a C/ad they may just give you the C. When I took it, that semester I took Organic, Biology, Statistics, animal nutrition, was a leader in my Prevet group, and was working 30 hours a week at the time. OChem took up the majority of my study time. I went to my teacher after hours for help, and always discussed my exams with him after so I could catch my mistakes. I just kept showing my teacher that I was trying, and was a really hard worker. I did everything I could to get a good grade in that class. Have you asked about the teacher possibly dropping an exam?

My undergrad is pretty difficult, which explains my GPA being a little lower than desired. Hopefully the GRE makes up for it. My dad is a veterinarian and A&M alum, but I don't know if legacy matters at all. I have continued to shadow at the other clinic, and I'm still working full-time for the shelter. I like my chances, but this is the first time I've applied.

Good luck to all Class of 2020 applicants!

I can't speak to legacy at all, but based on your stats, I'd be surprised if you didn't get an interview invite.

I have applied to A&M and Colorado State.

Try to keep in mind that fall grades count in final selection after interviews have been conducted at A&M. Try to finish as strong as possible!

Hi everyone, I hope I'm posting this right, I just made an account today. I am a career changer who started working towards admission 2.5 years ago and just applied to veterinary school this fall.

GPA Cumulative : 3.67
GPA Pre-rec : 3.84
GPA last 45 : 3.9

B.S. in Business Administration
Business School marketing and management club (2 years)
Business School business law and HR club (2 years)
Co-ed national honors fraternity (2 years)
High School Salutatorian (small class size though)
High School Basketball
55 hours emergency room volunteering
(a bunch of other stuff thats not extremely impressive )

Management positon post college for 2 years before I got sick of it and decided to pursue veterinary medicine.

LOR: 3 vets all excellent recommendations ( one doctor with 35 years experience told me she wrote that I was the hardest working and most helpful applicant volunteer she had ever seen)

Veterinary Experience:
Small animal clinic: 2,400 hrs (volunteer initially and then full time paid for 1 year)
Large animal mobile + clinic: 350 hrs (all volunteer )

Animal Hours: 175 humane society

GRE: 165 V ( 95% ) 159 Q ( 75% ) 4.5 AW (80%)

Only applied in state to a fairly competitive program.

My main worry is my lack of science training outside of the prerequisites and not having any published articles or research experience. Pretty nervous right now since I abandoned my old career and spent thousands of dollars going back to school working towards this goal. I'm also in my late 20s so multiple application cycles would be pretty painful as I would like to start a career and settle down by my mid 30s.

Thank you very much for any guidance you can give!
Your academic stats and GRE scores are quite good, so I definitely don't think you'll have issues there. While research experience is excellent if you can manage to get it, I personally wouldn't fret too much over not having any unless that's your area of interest or something. I think the business administration and management stuff could actually make you seem just that much more appealing, since you've got that vital background that the overwhelming majority of applicants lack, and I could certainly imagine that it may come up during your interviews, as well, and if you're looking into working in private practice, that's certainly a major asset.

The only suggestion I have in case you don't get accepted this cycle (with those stats, I would actually be pretty surprised if you didn't get in anywhere, but there are no guarantees in this process) is to maybe branch out just a tad more. Even just a few days of working with zoo animals, exotics, or wildlife will help round out your experience just that little bit more. Maybe equine, as well, if that isn't already included in your large animal stuff.

Honestly, I think you've got a decent chance this cycle! Best of luck! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Everybody! This is my first post on SDN, although I've been reading through the forums for a while. Like everyone else on this thread, I'm hoping to get a general idea on my chances of acceptance to veterinary school. I am currently finishing undergraduate degrees in German and Nutrition with a biology minor. My current cumulative gpa is 3.59 and science gpa is around 3.33. I still need to complete quite a few science prerequisites before I apply to veterinary school, mostly general chemistry 2, organic chemistry, genetics, and physics. As far as animal experience goes, I am currently working as a kennel attendant as well as very part time as a veterinary assistant at a small animal and exotic veterinary hospital. I also grew up participating in 4H with horses. For non animal experience, I worked as a certified nursing assistant in a hospital for three years and am cpr certified. During my undergraduate studies I spent a year studying abroad in Germany, and because of this experience, as well as my undergraduate degrees, I am fluent in German, as well as Swedish and Russian. I plan on taking the GRE as well as gain more experience in the veterinary field with both large and small animals before applying. I am also striving to obtain the best possible grades on prerequisites, and any other tips or ideas that could help me strengthen my application are greatly appreciated!

Hello all, I just created an account today and I was looking for some advice on my current status. I am currently a senior at a small, private school in Illinois.

Major: Biology
Minor: Physiology & Chemistry

Overall GPA: 3.46
Science GPA: 3.35 (Biology, Chemistry, & Mathematics)
This GPA accounts for my Gen Chem II class in which I received a C. I took the course again and got a B. Without the C, my science GPA is 3.45​
Last 45: 3.62

GRE: V (153) Q (150) W (4.0)

If I received a C or below in any class I took it again, usually getting an A the second time. In all of my chemistry lectures I have received B's, and in the labs I received A's. I am currently taking Nutrition, Physics, Pathophysiology, & Biochemistry. I am expecting to walk away this semester with 1 A and 3 B's, unfortunately (too many B's).

For the past two years I have worked part-time as a veterinary assistant in a small animal clinic, usually working at least 25 hours per week (even during the school year). I also have interned as an "animal caretaker" at a wildlife center during the summer. Other veterinary experience includes shadowing two different equine veterinarians in an ambulatory service, as well as in a hospital setting. In the past I have also worked at a doggy daycare facility, handling dogs.

This summer I applied to Illinois, Kansas, Michigan, & Mississippi. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

** Edit: My ELORs are from a professor (who is also a vet), professor, academic advisor, and the vet that I work for.

Thanks guys lol. I actually think i can get an A in biology, and if i accomplish that i wont feel too bad about any other grades haha

I'd hate to start a new thread so I think I'd post this here. But do you guys know if schools even consider the academic rigor of your undergraduate major? Or are they all about the numbers? Lets say someone was a biology major with a 3.4. cGPA and took lots of higher level science classes and another applicant was a theatre major with a cGPA of 3.9 and just took prereqs.. who's more likely to get in?

I'd hate to start a new thread so I think I'd post this here. But do you guys know if schools even consider the academic rigor of your undergraduate major? Or are they all about the numbers? Lets say someone was a biology major with a 3.4. cGPA and took lots of higher level science classes and another applicant was a theatre major with a cGPA of 3.9 and just took prereqs.. who's more likely to get in?
Depends on the school. Most take it into account. The discrepancy you are describing is a little extreme but for instance, UTK gives extra points to those with more classes per semester. And if a school is more rigorous than some, you get some vet schools that take that into account. However, undergraduate major doesn't really matter as long as you do the pre reqs

Hi everyone, I hope I'm posting this right, I just made an account today. I am a career changer who started working towards admission 2.5 years ago and just applied to veterinary school this fall.

GPA Cumulative : 3.67
GPA Pre-rec : 3.84
GPA last 45 : 3.9

B.S. in Business Administration
Business School marketing and management club (2 years)
Business School business law and HR club (2 years)
Co-ed national honors fraternity (2 years)
High School Salutatorian (small class size though)
High School Basketball
55 hours emergency room volunteering
(a bunch of other stuff thats not extremely impressive )

Management positon post college for 2 years before I got sick of it and decided to pursue veterinary medicine.

LOR: 3 vets all excellent recommendations ( one doctor with 35 years experience told me she wrote that I was the hardest working and most helpful applicant volunteer she had ever seen)

Veterinary Experience:
Small animal clinic: 2,400 hrs (volunteer initially and then full time paid for 1 year)
Large animal mobile + clinic: 350 hrs (all volunteer )

Animal Hours: 175 humane society

GRE: 165 V ( 95% ) 159 Q ( 75% ) 4.5 AW (80%)

Only applied in state to a fairly competitive program.

My main worry is my lack of science training outside of the prerequisites and not having any published articles or research experience. Pretty nervous right now since I abandoned my old career and spent thousands of dollars going back to school working towards this goal. I'm also in my late 20s so multiple application cycles would be pretty painful as I would like to start a career and settle down by my mid 30s.

Thank you very much for any guidance you can give!

What's your area of interest in vet med? The research experience is a pretty big deal if you claim that you're interested in public health, research, global med, etc, but a lack thereof shouldn't be a deal breaker, especially given your above-and-beyond experience hours, GRE, and GPA. In all honesty, I would be totally dumbfounded if you didn't get accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for any input or advice on my chances of getting into vet school. I applied to western, Midwestern, UC Davis, UGA (in-state) and UF. So far I've been rejected by UC Davis (I knew it was a long shot when I applied). I had an interview at Midwestern but found out today that I was rejected. I also had an interview at Western but won't know anything until Dec 18th. Is it possible to get into vet school when I've already been rejected by Midwestern?

My overall GPA is 3.6, science GPA is 3.5. GRE not so good. 152 verbal, 147 quantitative, and 4 analytical writing. I have 2,200 hours as a vet assistant/tech. My experience is from two small animal clinics and Banfield working with cats, dogs, with a little bit of exotics and wildlife too. Has anyone been accepted with similar scores? I'm really feeling discouraged today because I expected to at least be put on the wait list for Midwestern.

Hey guys!

I'm hoping to apply to vet school in Fall 2016. So I'd like to know what my weaknesses are, or some advice on the path ahead, to make applying to vet school as minimally stressful as it can be. (yeah right)
Cum GPA: 3.0
(P.S. This is the GPA for all my undergraduate work. Is this the Cumm GPA for just the pre-reqs or all your undergraduate work?)
Science GPA: 3.0
I have about 500-550 veterinary experience hours
I also have 300 animal experience hours
I am currently working part time in the lab at my IS vet school working as an undergraduate research assistant with one of the vets on the admissions board. I dont know if I should put that under research or veterinary experience, but I will getting a lot of that by this time next year as well.
I will be taking the GRE for the first time in January (AHHHHHHH) but I hope that'll go well!

What do you think? I feel incredibly average, but I think I will write a solid PS and I do well in interviews.
I also have a lot of activities at our school (college marching band, Young Life, Officer for Pre-Vet Club) and I have military experience as well (I know it doesn't apply, but hopefully makes me look well rounded)

Please throw all the corrective criticism you got! I would love to hear it all! Thanks again! :)

Make sure your GRE is stellar. That will really help you stick out.

2nd time applicant, only to UGA (in state tuition!)

Degree:
BS in biological science from UGA, cum laude graduate

GPAs:
Cumulative GPA: 3.65
Sci. GPA: 3.55
Last 45 hours: 3.7

GRE:
V: 159
Q: 158
W: 4.0

Experience:
Vet: 800 at small animal clinic
100 at large animal clinic
50 at mobile vaccination clinic
850 at mixed small animal clinic (small animals, exotics, avian, reptiles) where I still work at full time

Research: 200 doing behavioral research with pigs at UGA

Animal: 500 at an animal rescue
150 at UGA in poultry science labs
50 feral cat trapping

Employment:
200 hours note taker

References:
3 vets, one from the small animal clinic and two where I currently work (one is our MD)
1 professor from UGA. I had him as a professor and he oversaw the research I did.

Last edited:
I've already got one rejection notification this year, so I need to know if it's worth applying again next year.

Cumulative GPA Undergraduate: 2.98
Last 45 (in a MPH program now) 3.88

GRE:
V: 166
Q: 152
W: 5.0

Experience:
Over 2,500 hours working in a research toxicology/pathology lab with a team of veterinary pathologists
Over 2,000 hours working in a research lab using mouse/rat animal models

Research:
2 papers, 2 posters where I'm listed as a coauthor.

References: 4 total veterinary pathologists, 1 epidemiology professor from MPH program.

I loved the toxicology/pathology work that I've done so far and I already know I want to become a veterinary pathologist, getting into vet school is the first big hurdle.

I think you need to focus on schools that focus on last 45 GPA more than overall GPA, but I think it's worth applying again if you can do that.

Reactions: 1 users
I think you need to focus on schools that focus on last 45 GPA more than overall GPA, but I think it's worth applying again if you can do that.
Thank you. I really just want to cry and have a melt down but I haven't let myself because I needed to finish my projects for the semester. Last assignment is turned in, and whew! Application anxiety is hitting me like a ton of bricks.

I've already got one rejection notification this year, so I need to know if it's worth applying again next year.

Cumulative GPA Undergraduate: 2.98
Last 45 (in a MPH program now) 3.88

GRE:
V: 166
Q: 152
W: 5.0

Experience:
Over 2,500 hours working in a research toxicology/pathology lab with a team of veterinary pathologists
Over 2,000 hours working in a research lab using mouse/rat animal models

Research:
2 papers, 2 posters where I'm listed as a coauthor.

References: 4 total veterinary pathologists, 1 epidemiology professor from MPH program.

I loved the toxicology/pathology work that I've done so far and I already know I want to become a veterinary pathologist, getting into vet school is the first big hurdle.
Maybe try to get some other vet experience too? Research is great and clearly relates to what you want to do, but maybe try to get some hours shadowing small & large GP, emergency, exotics, wildlife, zoo, whatever you can get. Obviously you don't need to try to get hours in ALL of those, but I'd try to get experience in two more areas if possible. Not all schools care if you have varied experience, but many, maybe even most do really like it.

Oh, and ask for a file review for wherever you applied!

Ok I received my first rejection, and was waitlisted for another. I'm still waiting to hear back from 5 schools, but I know I need to plan for next cycle just in case. I just need help planning where my focus of improvment should be and at what cost.

Science GPA: 3.04
Overall: 3.11
Last 45 credits: 3.12

I was a collegiate athlete my first 2 years of undergrad. I took at least 15 credit hours each semester while being a caretaker for my grandmother and commuting 1 hour and 20 minutes to work 2 jobs in addition to classes every weekend.

GRE: 149, 144, 3.5

Experience:
294 volunteer experience small/large animal
60 paid small animal/exotics
28 research exotic animal
2,394 veterinary small animal

References:
2 DVMS
1 Character reference
1 Guidance Counselor

I know my GPA is low, but I'm doing the math and there's not really a way I can bump it up too much by next cycle. So then I was looking at concentrating on bumping up my GRE scores, but I'm not sure which is weighed more. I just need help deciding which would be more bang for my buck. I would need to take 21 more credit hours and get a 4.0 to bump my GPA to a 3.3. I'm just trying to plan ahead and need some advice on which I should focus on more.

Ok I received my first rejection, and was waitlisted for another. I'm still waiting to hear back from 5 schools, but I know I need to plan for next cycle just in case. I just need help planning where my focus of improvment should be and at what cost.

I was a collegiate athlete my first 2 years of undergrad. I took at least 15 credit hours each semester while being a caretaker for my grandmother and commuting 1 hour and 20 minutes to work 2 jobs in addition to classes every weekend.

Experience:

References:
2 DVMS
1 Character reference
1 Guidance Counselor

I know my GPA is low, but I'm doing the math and there's not really a way I can bump it up too much by next cycle. So then I was looking at concentrating on bumping up my GRE scores, but I'm not sure which is weighed more. I just need help deciding which would be more bang for my buck. I would need to take 21 more credit hours and get a 4.0 to bump my GPA to a 3.3. I'm just trying to plan ahead and need some advice on which I should focus on more.

I would do the 21 credit hours and take the GRE again if you can. I don't know how much either cost. But, both your GPA and your GRE need to go up.

I would do the 21 credit hours and take the GRE again if you can. I don't know how much either cost. But, both your GPA and your GRE need to go up.
Here's my dilemma though I'm still waiting to hear from 5 schools, if I register for all these classes now including a GRE course and the GRE. $5,000 or so for the courses, $700 for the GRE course and $200 for the GRE then I hear around March/April time frame that I can only hope accepted or moved from the waitlist, thats $6,000 that I didn't need to spend...

Last edited:

Experience:

References:
2 DVMS
1 Character reference
1 Guidance Counselor

I agree with Kata, a 21 credit 4.0 will boost your last 45 GPA too, and if you can make that strong, you can better strategize where you apply next year.

Can you also get an academic eLOR? I think if you have a really good academic reference, that could help make up for a low GPA.

If you can get your GRE high enough, sometimes that can make up for a low GPA too (you'd probably have to get it to 80+ percentile though for that to work). You do have until August, so maybe focus your summer on that once you're done with classes.

Your experience is good, looks diverse, but you have to remember that there are students with a 3.5+ GPA with similar experience that you are competing against.

Now the problem lies in finding 7 classes that will allow me to still continue to work full time...
I mean you don't have to take 21 all in a semester. Take 12-14 in the spring and 7-9 in the summer if possible. What about online? I don't know what your constraints are, but a higher last 45 credit GPA is your best shot. GRE will offset some other stuff, but you'd have to get 159+ probably in both sections and at least a 4 in the writing.

I agree with Kata, a 21 credit 4.0 will boost your last 45 GPA too, and if you can make that strong, you can better strategize where you apply next year.

Can you also get an academic eLOR? I think if you have a really good academic reference, that could help make up for a low GPA.

If you can get your GRE high enough, sometimes that can make up for a low GPA too (you'd probably have to get it to 80+ percentile though for that to work). You do have until August, so maybe focus your summer on that once you're done with classes.

Your experience is good, looks diverse, but you have to remember that there are students with a 3.5+ GPA with similar experience that you are competing against.

Wouldn't the next cycle for VMCAS start in May? The courses I would be taking wouldn't be prereqs either because I've already completed them so I'm not sure how that would work it would def go towards my last 45 credit GPA, "sigh"there's just not enough time need to invent something to pause time.

Wouldn't the next cycle for VMCAS start in May? The courses I would be taking wouldn't be prereqs either because I've already completed them so I'm not sure how that would work it would def go towards my last 45 credit GPA, "sigh"there's just not enough time need to invent something to pause time.

Yes VMCAS starts in May but you can wait until anytime before Sept 15th to take the GRE, so that's why I was recommending taking it in August so you have plenty of time to study. Doesn't matter if they are pre-reqs or not, I'd find things that interest you personally, since generally people do better in courses that interest them.

You also can retake pre-reqs that you got a C or below in and apply to schools that do grade replacement. That will raise all 3 GPAs!

I mean you don't have to take 21 all in a semester. Take 12-14 in the spring and 7-9 in the summer if possible. What about online? I don't know what your constraints are, but a higher last 45 credit GPA is your best shot. GRE will offset some other stuff, but you'd have to get 159+ probably in both sections and at least a 4 in the writing.
That's true, I am looking exclusively at online courses since I would still need to work full time, but I have heard some of the vet schools don't necessarily like online courses, but if it's my only option at least I tried. Will the schools still accept courses I take over the summer even if they arn't prereqs? I would be focusing more on the Life Science/Health Science areas since I already took all of the biology/chemistry. To me it doesn't make since to retake some of my chemistry because they end up taking both grades anyway so if I work hard for an A it won't really matter because it will average out to a B and Orgo almost killed me just for a C.

Yeah, the cycle starts in May, you don't have to submit until September. I completed summer classes that went towards my last 45 credits.

Thank you guys for the advice! I'm taking the steps to prepare for registering, but I'm going to wait till the end of December to actually register, by then I should hear back from a couple other schools and have a better idea of where I stand.

Thank you guys for the advice! I'm taking the steps to prepare for registering, but I'm going to wait till the end of December to actually register, by then I should hear back from a couple other schools and have a better idea of where I stand.
You are still waiting on 5 schools right? You can always drop everything that you sign up for in spring and *hopefully* get tuition back if you get in! Maybe you'll get a waitlist or something. Never know!

if I register for all these classes now including a GRE course and the GRE. $5,000 or so for the courses, $700 for the GRE course and $200 for the GRE

Honestly, after taking a GRE course the last quarter before I graduated, I'm not sure that it is worth the money. The class pretty much told me what to expect on the test, and some techniques to keep in mind in order to not fall for traps and save some time during the test. You can get all that information from the numerous test prep books for much cheaper than a class would cost. I would suggest buying two books and taking the time to read through and do ALL of the practice problems/tests they give you. That's a cheaper alternative if money is an issue.

Yes VMCAS starts in May but you can wait until anytime before Sept 15th to take the GRE, so that's why I was recommending taking it in August so you have plenty of time to study.

Uhhh, I would highly recommend against taking it in August. I made the mistake of taking it for the first time at the beginning of August, and that left me absolutely no time to retake it if I wanted to. I would recommend you make plans to take the GRE a few months after you hear back from all the schools, like during the beginning of the summer. That way, you know that you will be needing the test and can justify paying for it, and so you have at least a couple months in order to retake it before the deadline in September.

@Ivisesseaveterinarius

For a cheaper GRE prep option, have you looked at Magoosh? The full plan is $100 and you have six months. Three practice tests, tons of videos on concepts (plus each question has an explanation video that works through the answer). I felt it was definitely worth the money, and the questions where very similar and some even harder than the actual GRE. I'd recommend it!

@Ivisesseaveterinarius

For a cheaper GRE prep option, have you looked at Magoosh? The full plan is $100 and you have six months. Three practice tests, tons of videos on concepts (plus each question has an explanation video that works through the answer). I felt it was definitely worth the money, and the questions where very similar and some even harder than the actual GRE. I'd recommend it!
I tried magoosh for the first two times I took the GRE I improved very little. I didn't self study very well so I feel if I took a course it would force me to have to do practice problems. Princeton has received some pretty good reviews on their online prep courses.

I tried magoosh for the first two times I took the GRE I improved very little. I didn't self study very well so I feel if I took a course it would force me to have to do practice problems. Princeton has received some pretty good reviews on their online prep courses.
Princeton review, although effective, is extremely expensive.

Hi all! I am preparing to apply for the upcoming cycle (currently a Junior) and wanted your opinions on my status.

Major: Zoology
Minor: Wildlife Ecology and Conservation
GPA: 3.91
Science GPA: 3.90 (only A-'s in Chem 1 & 2; B in Orgo I)
Veterinary hours: 468.5 hours (Small Animal and Mixed Practice + 35 hours of Zoo Surgeries)
Animal Experience: 559 hours (Medical Service Dogs Facility, Wildlife Sanctuary, and Avian Internship at the Palm Beach Zoo)
Volunteer Work (outside of vet/animal related stuff): 256 hours
Work Experience (Tennis Camp Coach/Counselor): 293 hours
Research: 26.5 hours (just started/going to go regularly in the following semesters)

I plan on applying to at least 8 schools. A few being UF (resident, also currently attending undergrad), Tufts, NCSU, UT:Knoxville, UCD, WSU, Oregon State, and Western University. Also, when did you take your GRE? I took 17 credits this semester and did not have time to prepare for a December test date. I was thinking June or July?

Hi all! I am preparing to apply for the upcoming cycle (currently a Junior) and wanted your opinions on my status.

Veterinary hours: 468.5 hours (Small Animal and Mixed Practice + 35 hours of Zoo Surgeries)
Animal Experience: 559 hours (Medical Service Dogs Facility, Wildlife Sanctuary, and Avian Internship at the Palm Beach Zoo)
Research: 26.5 hours (just started/going to go regularly in the following semesters)

I plan on applying to at least 8 schools. A few being UF (resident, also currently attending undergrad), Tufts, NCSU, UT:Knoxville, UCD, WSU, Oregon State, and Western University. Also, when did you take your GRE? I took 17 credits this semester and did not have time to prepare for a December test date. I was thinking June or July?
I took my GRE in June. Plenty of time to take it again if you don't think your scores are good enough. The only thing I would say is pick good letters of Rec writers and continue to get more hours. You are applying to places where it is very hard to get in out of state - ucd, osu, etc. I would look into the percentages out OOS people that get in.

I took the GRE in July so I could take the first few weeks of the summer to really study for it. It's nice as well because I still had plenty of time to re-take it if I didn't like my scores the first time around.

Some other notes: your GPA is very competitive, and your GRE scores likely will be too. Get a few more hours. You aren't deficient that area by any means (and you have a good breadth of experiences), but keep in mind that a few of the schools you're applying are very competitive for OOS applicants and many people with comparable stats often apply with closer to 1000 veterinary/1000 animal hours. You might also consider spending some time working with farm animals or horses (look into seeing if your school has a Block and Bridle club or finding some local stables to volunteer at).

Also, out of curiosity, what is your volunteer work in? Do you have anyone in mind for writing your letters of recommendation?

Overall you seem like a really well-rounded applicant, and you don't have any areas that really stick out as problematic in any way.

Am I welcomed here?
Just wanted to hear on the chit chat I am a pre-med student studying to be an Infectious Disease Physician.

Am I welcomed here?
Just wanted to hear on the chit chat I am a pre-med student studying to be an Infectious Disease Physician.
Of course, we don't bite, just the animals :)

OK great!
Does animals have souls?

The edola out break was very bad.

I took the GRE in July so I could take the first few weeks of the summer to really study for it. It's nice as well because I still had plenty of time to re-take it if I didn't like my scores the first time around.

Some other notes: your GPA is very competitive, and your GRE scores likely will be too. Get a few more hours. You aren't deficient that area by any means (and you have a good breadth of experiences), but keep in mind that a few of the schools you're applying are very competitive for OOS applicants and many people with comparable stats often apply with closer to 1000 veterinary/1000 animal hours. You might also consider spending some time working with farm animals or horses (look into seeing if your school has a Block and Bridle club or finding some local stables to volunteer at).

Also, out of curiosity, what is your volunteer work in? Do you have anyone in mind for writing your letters of recommendation?

Overall you seem like a really well-rounded applicant, and you don't have any areas that really stick out as problematic in any way.

For veterinary experience, I volunteered at two small animal clinics back home (1 was mixed practice since I'm very interested in doing that as well). I was able to assist in procedures at both of these locations (they were surprisingly not strict). Up here, I am a volunteer in the Department of Ophthalmology at UF's Small Animal Hospital. In the past I also volunteered in their ICU and Neurology departments. I plan on continuing volunteering there next year. Also, I worked with a veterinarian at the Palm Beach Zoo for at least 35 hours during procedures. I'd really like to get a job at a vet clinic somewhere, but in Gainesville every vet clinic seems to already have other students working there since we are so saturated with Vet students and Pre-vets.

For animal experience, I primarily volunteer at a Wildlife Sanctuary and will be doing that again next semester. Perhaps I'll do more large animal next semester. It's difficult to coordinate with a lot of the volunteer organizations here in Gainesville, they take forever to respond or don't even reply at all. I interned at PBZ over the summer and my work was in avian care, but I got exposure to a lot of other species, especially herps.

As for research, I am currently at FWC's Wildlife Research Lab where I assist with necropsies on FL panthers, White-tailed deers, and other wildlife. I also go on herping research trips with them. I work with a vet there, so I've been counting some of the hours that I've been with him as vet experience. Is this okay? I was also just offered a position with one of the UF SAH Dept of Optho's residents to help him with is corneal research.

For letters of recommendation, I planned on getting a letter from a Vet within UF's SAH Dept of Optho, one from either my research coordinator at FWC or the Vet there, another from my internship mentor, a zoology professor here at UF, and one of the advisors I work with since I am a College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Ambassador at UF. Do you think some letters would be of more value than others?

Hey all :)
First time applicant this cycle and just extremely anxious that I haven't heard from any schools yet, even though the 5 that I applied to haven't sent out much (if anything) yet anyway. The more I wait, the more I am freaking out that I won't be accepted this year.. I'm just wondering what some of you think my chances might be. I already know my biggest flaws in my application are my average GRE scores and lack of large animal experience..

Applied to: Penn, Tufts, Cornell, Va-Md, and CSU
Degree earned: Bachelors of Music with double concentration in Music Education and Flute Performance
Undergrad GPA: 3.97
Post bacc/ pre-req GPA: 3.97
Cum GPA: 3.97 (I just could not get away without getting one A-!! lol whatever)

GRE (V/Q/W) : 153/157/4.5

Vet experience:
1500 hours (more now after applying) in SA hospital, started in kennel, promoted to vet assistant, now working as vet tech
500 hours SA veterinary shadow in high school
500 hours SA veterinary shadow, basically growing up at a parent's friend's vet hospital

Animal Experience:
100 hours pet sitting
40 hours LA at horse farm (was planning on getting more hours last summer, got mono and couldn't finish, explained this in the explanation section)
I also grew up with 6 dogs in my house, but I didn't include that in my experience because I just felt weird about it. Did mention it in my personal statement..

Job experience:
Substitute teacher, private flute instructor, head of adoption websites for the clinic I work for, 4 years at a summer camp as a counselor

Cool experiences: Performed as a soloist at Carnegie Hall twice, and 5 other times with various orchestras, kind of hoping this just helps me stand out amongst other applicants..?

Other activities: Literally 10 different bands/ orchestras I have or still do play with, Honor societies, a music fraternity

Awards: Deans List for 7 years straight, some awards I've won for musical competitions, and some scholarships I've won for academic or musical reasons

Volunteer: stuff from high school like key club, etc.

I feel like I have a solid application, but I'm just getting more and more anxious..... thoughts?

Thanks in advance xo

Hey all :)
First time applicant this cycle and just extremely anxious that I haven't heard from any schools yet, even though the 5 that I applied to haven't sent out much (if anything) yet anyway. The more I wait, the more I am freaking out that I won't be accepted this year.. I'm just wondering what some of you think my chances might be. I already know my biggest flaws in my application are my average GRE scores and lack of large animal experience..

Applied to: Penn, Tufts, Cornell, Va-Md, and CSU
Degree earned: Bachelors of Music with double concentration in Music Education and Flute Performance
Undergrad GPA: 3.97
Post bacc/ pre-req GPA: 3.97
Cum GPA: 3.97 (I just could not get away without getting one A-!! lol whatever)

GRE (V/Q/W) : 153/157/4.5

Vet experience:
1500 hours (more now after applying) in SA hospital, started in kennel, promoted to vet assistant, now working as vet tech
500 hours SA veterinary shadow in high school
500 hours SA veterinary shadow, basically growing up at a parent's friend's vet hospital

Animal Experience:
100 hours pet sitting
40 hours LA at horse farm (was planning on getting more hours last summer, got mono and couldn't finish, explained this in the explanation section)
I also grew up with 6 dogs in my house, but I didn't include that in my experience because I just felt weird about it. Did mention it in my personal statement..

Job experience:
Substitute teacher, private flute instructor, head of adoption websites for the clinic I work for, 4 years at a summer camp as a counselor

Cool experiences: Performed as a soloist at Carnegie Hall twice, and 5 other times with various orchestras, kind of hoping this just helps me stand out amongst other applicants..?

Other activities: Literally 10 different bands/ orchestras I have or still do play with, Honor societies, a music fraternity

Awards: Deans List for 7 years straight, some awards I've won for musical competitions, and some scholarships I've won for academic or musical reasons

Volunteer: stuff from high school like key club, etc.

I feel like I have a solid application, but I'm just getting more and more anxious..... thoughts?

Thanks in advance xo

You'll be fine. Your gre could be better, but it's not terrible. And yeah more varied experience. Just be patient and focus on other things. Colorado responds at the very end of December. Cornell in January. Idk about the others.

Hi all, I'm a 2nd time applicant, applying only to UGA (in state tuition!)

Degree:
BS in biological science from UGA, cum laude graduate

GPAs:
Cumulative GPA: 3.65
Sci. GPA: 3.55
Last 45 hours: 3.7

GRE:
V: 159
Q: 158
W: 4.0

Experience:
Vet: 800 at small animal clinic
100 at large animal clinic
50 at mobile vaccination clinic
850 at mixed small animal clinic (small animals, exotics, avian, reptiles) where I still work at full time

Research: 200 doing behavioral research with pigs at UGA

Animal: 500 at an animal rescue
150 at UGA in poultry science labs
50 feral cat trapping

Employment:
200 hours note taker

References:
3 vets, one from the small animal clinic and two where I currently work (one is our MD)
1 professor from UGA. I had him as a professor and he oversaw the research I did.

Hey everyone!

So I (like many others) have read many posts on here but never posted myself until now. But I thought it would be nice to get feedback from a more knowledge community.

So long story short I was Pre-Med, went through EMT school, rode with the county and my "dream" of being a doctor was shattered. But I've always been intrigued by animals More than humans, which in all honesty should have been a clue, and medicine so I decided that a career path in veterinary medicine was the right fit for me.

Cum. GPA: 3.62
Last 45 GPA: 3.9+
GRE: haven't taken it yet (took the MCAT) but will be taking it summer 2016

I am taking a year off to really build on my vet hours and animal experience hours because I have so few right now. I was just wondering if my chances are good for next cycle if I use the time during my year off to focus on getting hours.

I've done a lot of extracurriculars but they were geared towards Med School. Should I still include all of that in my application next cycle?

Thanks! ^_^

Definitely include those experiences on your application. Some schools accept the mcat! Your gpa is excellent. Do well on the gre, get good experience and get some good letters of rec :)

Definitely include those experiences on your application. Some schools accept the mcat! Your gpa is excellent. Do well on the gre, get good experience and get some good letters of rec :)
Thanks! Ive started working at the animal shelter in my city but I feel like I'm so far behind compared to everyone else who has (to me it seems like) 1000+ hours.

Getting hours is extremely important to determine whether you would actually enjoy working in this field. You'll get there. Get a good variety of experience - small animal, large animal, etc - and letters of rec from dvms.

Status
Not open for further replies.