This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that you stated that you got C's in 3 pre-req classes due to anxiety issues. Have you since made accommodations and progress to help work through the issue? Vet schools will be interested in how you handled that. Your cumGPA is right at the average so I would say competitive. Your science GPA is on the low side. I would try to get the highest score possible in your remaining science classes. You may also want to consider retaking some classes that you got C's in while you are still in school to bump that science GPA. Financially, it would be a good move too as compared to waiting until after you graduate. You will want to do as well as possible on the GRE. There are lots of study tools and classes you can take to help you prepare. Definitely use the resources.

How many animal experience hours do you have? You definitely need more QUALITY veterinary hours for your application. Most vet schools have a requirement of 400-500 hours minimum. However, a lot of students who apply have 1000 or more. The greater amount of experience will also help to offset the science GPA on your application. That being said, quality hours are better than quantity. Also, you will want to become the ambassador on seek another leadership role since vet schools look highly at that (at least OSU did with me).

Rock the GRE and the rest of your classes and get your experience up and you should be sitting pretty good.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone- first time posting
I am currently a sophomore in undergrad in Biotechnology and I was considering applying this upcoming round of applications. I wouldn't have my degree completed, but I would have prerequisites done. Courses that will be in progress (Physics, biochemistry and a literature course).

Cum GPA: 3.525
Science GPA: 3.25

GRE: will be taking in July

Animal Experience:
2500+ hours horseback riding
2300 hours working in horse boarding facilities
Horse 4H Member for 3 years
600 hours working at a doggy daycare
20 hours ongoing volunteering at a working dairy farm
20 hours volunteering at a fish hatchery
30 hours volunteering at ARISE at the Farm helping wight the horses and special needs children

Veterinary Experience:
1500+ hours working at a SA emergency clinic
50 hours shadowing LA/ equine vets
Currently applying for summer internship at zoo

Research:
300 hours of research predator scat DNA extractions and care of experimental zebrafish (I will be presenting a poster of my research in April) I also am planning to be published within the next year

Campus Involvement:
President and founder of Pre-Vet Club
Student Ambassadors
Alpha Xi Sigma Honors Society
Enrolled in honors program

I just don't know if it would be worth it for me to apply a year early and possibly not finish undergrad, or if I'd be better off waiting to apply. Right now if I applied, I would apply to Cornell (in state), Tufts and Virginia- Maryland. I really don't want a gap year and maybe applying early isn't a bad idea. Just looking for opinions.

Hey everyone!!!

I'm trying to determine if I have a good chance getting accepted, to NCSU, OkState, Purdue, Uof Illinois, and Texas A&M. What do you think?

19 years old, female, Texas resident

Degrees:
B.S. in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (Pre-Vet/Pre-Med) with Honors, Oklahoma State University

Cum GPA: 3.60

Veterinary Experience:
- 280 hours experience SA
But getting more this summer.

Animal Experience:
- 100 or so at various humane societies and programs like that

Research Experience:
-Member of a Biochemical research team involving the genome sequencing and understanding of a newly discovered bacteria that thrives in salt and consumes crude oil.

GRE: 152 Verbal, 154 Quant, 4.5 analytical writing

Some of my other qualifications include:
-Member of the Honor's College
-Academic Officer of the Oklahoma State University Chapter of Alpha Omega Epsilon, an engineering and technical science sorority
-Tresasurer and Founding Member of OSU Exotics
-Music Leader for Reformed University Fellowship (an on campus church ministry).

Concerns:
I'm worried about my lack of experience. I did band and drum corps growing up, so I didn't have my summers to work at a vet.

Also, I didn't really study or prepare much for the GRE- only got like a weeks worth of preparation, should I retake it?

How do my odds look? Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone!!!

I'm trying to determine if I have a good chance getting accepted, to NCSU, OkState, Purdue, Uof Illinois, and Texas A&M. What do you think?

Degrees:
B.S. in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (Pre-Vet/Pre-Med) with Honors, Oklahoma State University

Veterinary Experience:

Animal Experience:

Research Experience:
-Member of a Biochemical research team involving the genome sequencing and understanding of a newly discovered bacteria that thrives in salt and consumes crude oil.

-Academic Officer of the Oklahoma State University Chapter of Alpha Omega Epsilon, an engineering and technical science sorority
-Music Leader for Reformed University Fellowship (an on campus church ministry).

Concerns:
I'm worried about my lack of experience. I did band and drum corps growing up, so I didn't have my summers to work at a vet.

Also, I didn't really study or prepare much for the GRE- only got like a weeks worth of preparation, should I retake it?

What are your science and last 45 GPAs? Those might help people as far as giving you an opinion.

Hi everyone- first time posting
I am currently a sophomore in undergrad in Biotechnology and I was considering applying this upcoming round of applications. I wouldn't have my degree completed, but I would have prerequisites done. Courses that will be in progress (Physics, biochemistry and a literature course).

Cum GPA: 3.525
Science GPA: 3.25

GRE: will be taking in July

Animal Experience:
2500+ hours horseback riding
2300 hours working in horse boarding facilities
Horse 4H Member for 3 years
600 hours working at a doggy daycare
20 hours ongoing volunteering at a working dairy farm
20 hours volunteering at a fish hatchery
30 hours volunteering at ARISE at the Farm helping wight the horses and special needs children

Veterinary Experience:
1500+ hours working at a SA emergency clinic
50 hours shadowing LA/ equine vets
Currently applying for summer internship at zoo

Research:
300 hours of research predator scat DNA extractions and care of experimental zebrafish (I will be presenting a poster of my research in April) I also am planning to be published within the next year

Campus Involvement:
President and founder of Pre-Vet Club
Student Ambassadors
Alpha Xi Sigma Honors Society
Enrolled in honors program

I just don't know if it would be worth it for me to apply a year early and possibly not finish undergrad, or if I'd be better off waiting to apply. Right now if I applied, I would apply to Cornell (in state), Tufts and Virginia- Maryland. I really don't want a gap year and maybe applying early isn't a bad idea. Just looking for opinions.

My first thoughts on this were (sorry if I missed the answers in there):
1. Age/gender? Maturity gained in the final year of UG was huge for me.
2. How sure are you? UG to fall back/use as a stepping stone in the event something horrible happens isn't a bad plan.
3. Cost. Where is the money for the final year coming from and would it be better applied toward vet school?

As to if you have a shot I can't say. I applied to one school and focused all my effort on that. I've just been stalking everyone else. I'm old so I'm weird. I think improving your GPA and doing really well on the GRE definitely wouldn't hurt. Maybe a little more LA experience?

Hey everyone!!!

Degrees:

Veterinary Experience:

Animal Experience:

Research Experience:

Concerns:

What are your science and last 45 GPAs? Those might help people as far as giving you an opinion.
I would agree. Your cumGPA is fine. Your last 45 is pretty important in seeing the (hopefully) upward trend as you progressed through college. You definitely need to get your experience up in both vet and animal hours. Try to get a broad experience if possible.

Hey everyone!!!

Degrees:

Veterinary Experience:

Animal Experience:

Research Experience:

Concerns:

Are you applying this cycle? You are going to WAY more hours of experience if you want to get in. Especially for NCSU where you're going to need around 1000ish hours or more at the minimum to be competitive. You're also going to need more variety, It looks like you only have experience in SA. Try to get experience in some other facets of Vet Med. I would honestly consider taking a year off and just focus on getting experience and retaking the GRE ( I think yours is a bit low for the schools you're applying to). My honest opinion is that you don't have enough hours to be competitive at this time. I think you have the potential to be a great, very interesting applicant! Just get some more experience and I think you'll be in a good place :).

P.S. Magoosh is an awesome study tool :D. It really helped me!

Hello everyone! This will be my first post and I would like your honest opinion about whether I have a chance to make it in this cycle.

I am a 23 year old college graduate with a B.S. in Biological Sciences, CA resident

I am planning to apply to 10 schools, but the ones I'm really shooting for are Davis, Oregon, Washington, Texas, NC, and Iowa

Overall GPA: 3.65
Science GPA: 3.5
Last 45: 3.8

GRE: Will take in June

Veterinary Experience:
Vet intern at small animal hospital (500 hours)
Animal Assistant at another single-doctor small animal hospital (1400 hours, ongoing)
Shadowed an equine vet (20 hours)
Intern at an aquatic vet practice (150 hours)

Research:
Undergraduate research in a stem cell lab that studies tissue regeneration in mice (1000+ hours)
-Received funding from UROP 2 years in a row and presented my findings at a conference

Animal Experience:
Volunteer at an animal shelter (100 hours)
Volunteer at the California Science center-animal husbandry in aquatics (80 hours)
*will volunteer at either a farm sanctuary or a very small rehabilitation zoo this summer

Non-Animal Employment:
Waitress at Home Town Buffet (100 hours)

Extracurricular Activities:
Tutored children in low-income housing
Camp counselor for kids with congenital heart disease

My concern is that I feel like my GPA and experiences are just average, there is nothing that really makes me stand out. I am studying for the GRE and I'm hoping that will make my application a bit more appealing. Thank you for any suggestions or comments!

2. How sure are you? UG to fall back/use as a stepping stone in the event something horrible happens isn't a bad plan.
3. Cost. Where is the money for the final year coming from and would it be better applied toward vet school?

As to if you have a shot I can't say. I applied to one school and focused all my effort on that. I've just been stalking everyone else. I'm old so I'm weird. I think improving your GPA and doing really well on the GRE definitely wouldn't hurt. Maybe a little more LA experience?
Eh, I think that age/maturity is a very person dependent thing. I'm one of the youngest in my class (I also applied a year early without my Bachelor's), and seem to do fine. Funnily enough, my "immature" classmates are actually some of the older ones... so really it just depends on who you are. Plus the cost savings you can get by shaving a year off of undergrad can be huge, and if you don't get accepted the first round you'll already know what to improve for the next round.. However, I do completely agree that having a Bachelor degree as a back up could be useful, so I would weigh all of that when considering to apply a year early.

@jpwil100, your application looks pretty solid (maybe you could improve your GPA a little?), and the only thing I could see to improve experience wise is to try to get more LA hours over the summer if you can. Ultimately, it's really up to you if you want to apply early. If you are 100% sure that vet med is for you, and you want to give it a shot- then I say why not?

Reactions: 1 user
Forgot about those!

Science GPA is a 3.75- that's including classes like ANSI, Biochem, gen chem, ochem, genetics, nutrition, physics, and physiology. Not microbiology.

and last 45 hours is a 3.53 (organic chemistry killed my GPA).

Are you applying this cycle? You are going to WAY more hours of experience if you want to get in. Especially for NCSU where you're going to need around 1000ish hours or more at the minimum to be competitive. You're also going to need more variety, It looks like you only have experience in SA. Try to get experience in some other facets of Vet Med. I would honestly consider taking a year off and just focus on getting experience and retaking the GRE ( I think yours is a bit low for the schools you're applying to). My honest opinion is that you don't have enough hours to be competitive at this time. I think you have the potential to be a great, very interesting applicant! Just get some more experience and I think you'll be in a good place :).

P.S. Magoosh is an awesome study tool :D. It really helped me!

Yeah I was considering applying this cycle. I'm only a sophomore now, but OSU lets students do a thing called the 3+1, and your fourth year of undergrad is your first year of vet school, and then you get your bachelors degree... But it means that I'm super young (I'm only 19), and I've only have 4 semesters of college so far. So I'm lacking in pretty much everything!

Maybe I'll get two different jobs this summer- one at my regular SA vet clinic and another at an emergency or surgery clinic for diversity.

Forgot about those!

Science GPA is a 3.75- that's including classes like ANSI, Biochem, gen chem, ochem, genetics, nutrition, physics, and physiology. Not microbiology.

and last 45 hours is a 3.53 (organic chemistry killed my GPA).

I don't how much of a factor this will be and maybe it won't hurt you too much but it probably doesn't help you that your last 45 is lower than your cumulative.

Overall I think the biggest thing that you need to improve is your experience. I applied with very low vet hours (and was waitlisted) but I had a ton of animal experience to make up for it. You've got low hours in both and I think that will end up being a hindrance to you.

It also couldn't hurt to improve your GRE scores if you think that you can. The look like they're a bit below average (although I don't know averages off the top of my head).

I don't how much of a factor this will be and maybe it won't hurt you too much but it probably doesn't help you that your last 45 is lower than your cumulative.

Overall I think the biggest thing that you need to improve is your experience. I applied with very low vet hours (and was waitlisted) but I had a ton of animal experience to make up for it. You've got low hours in both and I think that will end up being a hindrance to you.

It also couldn't hurt to improve your GRE scores if you think that you can. The look like they're a bit below average (although I don't know averages off the top of my head).

Yeah I've only had 4 semesters now, and my first semester I was in freshman level classes and got a 4.0... So... It helps my overall GPA, but it doesn't show the struggle and victories I've had with classes recently.

What were some examples of animal experience hours you got? I might have more than I'm thinking of, but I'm just not sure what qualifies as animal experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I was considering applying this cycle. I'm only a sophomore now, but OSU lets students do a thing called the 3+1, and your fourth year of undergrad is your first year of vet school, and then you get your bachelors degree... But it means that I'm super young (I'm only 19), and I've only have 4 semesters of college so far. So I'm lacking in pretty much everything!

Maybe I'll get two different jobs this summer- one at my regular SA vet clinic and another at an emergency or surgery clinic for diversity.

It's a cost/benefit analysis. A couple weeks ago an admissions rep from VMRCVM told us that they encourage everyone to apply after their sophomore year if they have the prerequisites. You might get in you might not. All schools will look at it differently. You don't have a ton of experience, so keep in mind that you'll be fighting for seats against people with more experience/higher GPA/degree/older.

But at the very least you get your feet wet and you could actually get in. Just have to look if its financially worth it.

1. 19 years old, female
2. I'm certain
3. Costs- I only work part time job that I work twice a week. The money would be nice no doubt.

I appreciate the input and I think the GREs will be how I decide to apply early or not. Honestly I wouldn't be crushed if I didn't get in and I'd appreciate some feed back from applying beforehand. Thanks again for the feedback!

Eh, I think that age/maturity is a very person dependent thing. I'm one of the youngest in my class (I also applied a year early without my Bachelor's), and seem to do fine. Funnily enough, my "immature" classmates are actually some of the older ones... so really it just depends on who you are. Plus the cost savings you can get by shaving a year off of undergrad can be huge, and if you don't get accepted the first round you'll already know what to improve for the next round.. However, I do completely agree that having a Bachelor degree as a back up could be useful, so I would weigh all of that when considering to apply a year early.

@jpwil100, your application looks pretty solid (maybe you could improve your GPA a little?), and the only thing I could see to improve experience wise is to try to get more LA hours over the summer if you can. Ultimately, it's really up to you if you want to apply early. If you are 100% sure that vet med is for you, and you want to give it a shot- then I say why not?

Thanks for the input! I'm extremely mature for my age. I believe if this semester stays the way it is I should raise my GPA back up. Microbiology and Organic Chemistry brought down my GPA, but this semester I feel much better. I do agree my large animal is lacking. Perhaps some work at a clinic shadowing after my internship at the zoo. I'm 100% sure I want to do vet med and I appreciate your honesty. I think my GRE will be my deciding factor of applying.

Hello everyone! This will be my first post and I would like your honest opinion about whether I have a chance to make it in this cycle.

I am a 23 year old college graduate with a B.S. in Biological Sciences, CA resident

I am planning to apply to 10 schools, but the ones I'm really shooting for are Davis, Oregon, Washington, Texas, NC, and Iowa

Overall GPA: 3.65
Science GPA: 3.5
Last 45: 3.8

GRE: Will take in June

Veterinary Experience:
Vet intern at small animal hospital (500 hours)
Animal Assistant at another single-doctor small animal hospital (1400 hours, ongoing)
Shadowed an equine vet (20 hours)
Intern at an aquatic vet practice (150 hours)

Research:
Undergraduate research in a stem cell lab that studies tissue regeneration in mice (1000+ hours)
-Received funding from UROP 2 years in a row and presented my findings at a conference

Animal Experience:
Volunteer at an animal shelter (100 hours)
Volunteer at the California Science center-animal husbandry in aquatics (80 hours)
*will volunteer at either a farm sanctuary or a very small rehabilitation zoo this summer

Non-Animal Employment:
Waitress at Home Town Buffet (100 hours)

Extracurricular Activities:
Tutored children in low-income housing
Camp counselor for kids with congenital heart disease

My concern is that I feel like my GPA and experiences are just average, there is nothing that really makes me stand out. I am studying for the GRE and I'm hoping that will make my application a bit more appealing. Thank you for any suggestions or comments!

I think you're great. I think you'll at least get an interview at one/a few of the schools you have listed, if not accepted to some. Study for the GRE, and keep getting diverse experiences. It can only help and not hurt you. Maybe don't apply to 10 schools unless you'd really like to, because on top of VMCAS fees, many schools have individual processing fees, which can really start to add up. It was almost $400 for me to apply to 3 schools. Just something to keep in mind. Best of luck!

I know that you stated that you got C's in 3 pre-req classes due to anxiety issues. Have you since made accommodations and progress to help work through the issue? Vet schools will be interested in how you handled that. Your cumGPA is right at the average so I would say competitive. Your science GPA is on the low side. I would try to get the highest score possible in your remaining science classes. You may also want to consider retaking some classes that you got C's in while you are still in school to bump that science GPA. Financially, it would be a good move too as compared to waiting until after you graduate. You will want to do as well as possible on the GRE. There are lots of study tools and classes you can take to help you prepare. Definitely use the resources.

How many animal experience hours do you have? You definitely need more QUALITY veterinary hours for your application. Most vet schools have a requirement of 400-500 hours minimum. However, a lot of students who apply have 1000 or more. The greater amount of experience will also help to offset the science GPA on your application. That being said, quality hours are better than quantity. Also, you will want to become the ambassador on seek another leadership role since vet schools look highly at that (at least OSU did with me).

Rock the GRE and the rest of your classes and get your experience up and you should be sitting pretty good.
Thank you so much! Yes, I am retaking those classes. I also plan on shadowing up until I apply, so I'm not too worried about shadowing hours. As far as the GRE goes, if you take all of your prerequisites at K-State then you don't have to take the GRE to get in (at K-State's vet school). Once again, thank you so much!!

I think you're great. I think you'll at least get an interview at one/a few of the schools you have listed, if not accepted to some. Study for the GRE, and keep getting diverse experiences. It can only help and not hurt you. Maybe don't apply to 10 schools unless you'd really like to, because on top of VMCAS fees, many schools have individual processing fees, which can really start to add up. It was almost $400 for me to apply to 3 schools. Just something to keep in mind. Best of luck!

Thank you so much for your feedback. I had no idea about the individual processing fees, but I have been saving up for the VMCAS fee for all 10 schools. I might drop 2 or 3 schools now because I know for a fact I can't afford that exorbitant amount I imagine it will be.

Thank you so much for your feedback. I had no idea about the individual processing fees, but I have been saving up for the VMCAS fee for all 10 schools. I might drop 2 or 3 schools now because I know for a fact I can't afford that exorbitant amount I imagine it will be.
Many schools have a supplemental application with additional supplemental application fee. For some schools the supplemental app is just paying the fee, for others it's much more involved and may require an essay and additional LOR's. It's definitely worth looking into the schools your interested in to see what their supplemental app is like, or if they have one at all.

Many schools have a supplemental application with additional supplemental application fee. For some schools the supplemental app is just paying the fee, for others it's much more involved and may require an essay and additional LOR's. It's definitely worth looking into the schools your interested in to see what their supplemental app is like, or if they have one at all.
I agree with Jilary to look into the supplemental at each school, as some of them are quite involved. Many also open/close at different times in the application cycle than VMCAS (for examples, CSU's supplemental opened in July-ish and was due the same day as VMCAS, while Wisconsin didn't even send you a supplemental until after you turned everything else in). Some require extra eLORs or a ton of extra essays, while others are really simple and easy to fill out.

As for cost, I would say on average the supplementals are somewhere between $50-$60, though the costs can vary quite a bit from school to school.

I needed a break from my biochemistry paper, so figured I’d post in here.

28 year old, Female, Maine Resident

Degrees: B.S.: Animal Science. 2009. GPA: 2.96
B.S.: Wildlife Biology. 2014. GPA: 3.74

cGPA: I think somewhere around 3.2?
last 45: 3.74 currently, not including the remainder pre reqs I need to take/am taking

GRE: N/A right now, taking in July. Took the old version back in 2011 but those scores are now invalid, which is fine because they were deplorable anyways! (that’s what I get for not trying hard enough).

Veterinary experience:

920+ hours and counting small animal: veterinary assistant at a small animal private practice that occasionally sees guinea pigs, rabbits, ferrets, and birds along with the standard cats and dogs
1600 hours lab animal: animal care assistant at my 1st undergrad’s medical lab which was overseen by the university’s veterinarian
340 hours wildlife: worked alongside a wildlife veterinarian on a loon restoration project

Animal experience:

320 hours large animal, specifically cows. I worked the summer after high school at a dairy farm milking cows.
128 hours companion, specifically greyhounds. I was a volunteer in college for Volunteers in Action-P
C:\Users\CASSAN~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png
ets Helping People. We would go to a local greyhound rescue every weekend during the school year to walk the dogs and to also bring them to local nursing homes.
168 hours mixed/exotic. I worked one summer at a summer science camp that actually had over 100 species of animals and the counselors were required to help take care of them during the summer.
1240 hours wildlife: Common Loons. Past two summers I have been working as a field biologist surveying loons and monitoring their nesting activity.
480 hours wildlife: raptors. Spent a summer conducting raptor point count surveys
1320 hours wildlife: songbirds. spent a few different summers working with a variety of songbirds and conducting surveys, nest searches, etc.

Non-wildlife/animal experience
  • Front desk
  • Cook/kitchen aid
  • Camp teacher at an environmental summer camp
  • 6 months in the HealthCorps of AmeriCorps
  • Call center rep for medical insurance claims
  • Lift operator at a ski resort

Scholarships/Awards:

8 different college based scholarships
Honors Cord from my second undergrad degree
Environmental Professional Award
Dean’s List
Employee of the Quarter
Volunteer of the year

Activities/Memberships

Student Leadership Board
Volunteers in Action
Ski & Snowboard club
The Wildlife Society student chapter
The Wildlife Society: new professional

If it’s not obvious, I’m interested in wildlife medicine, and would definitely love to go to a school that has more direct opportunities within their program via electives or rotations. However, I realize with my less than stellar stats I may not have that luxury and am willing to make those experiences happen outside of the program if need be. I know how important networking is within the wildlife field and have already seen how advantageous it can be if you know so and so and to name drop like a boss ;).

Illinois, Tufts, and SGU have definitely peaked my interest. But I’m also trying to see if other schools that are the “cheaper” side for OOS would be a good fit for me as well, specifically the ones that convert to IS after the first year. Suggestions? Critiques?

I needed a break from my biochemistry paper, so figured I’d post in here.

28 year old, Female, Maine Resident

Degrees: B.S.: Animal Science. 2009. GPA: 2.96
B.S.: Wildlife Biology. 2014. GPA: 3.74

cGPA: I think somewhere around 3.2?
last 45: 3.74 currently, not including the remainder pre reqs I need to take/am taking

GRE: N/A right now, taking in July. Took the old version back in 2011 but those scores are now invalid, which is fine because they were deplorable anyways! (that’s what I get for not trying hard enough).

Veterinary experience:

920+ hours and counting small animal: veterinary assistant at a small animal private practice that occasionally sees guinea pigs, rabbits, ferrets, and birds along with the standard cats and dogs
1600 hours lab animal: animal care assistant at my 1st undergrad’s medical lab which was overseen by the university’s veterinarian
340 hours wildlife: worked alongside a wildlife veterinarian on a loon restoration project

Animal experience:

320 hours large animal, specifically cows. I worked the summer after high school at a dairy farm milking cows.
128 hours companion, specifically greyhounds. I was a volunteer in college for Volunteers in Action-P
C:\Users\CASSAN~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png
ets Helping People. We would go to a local greyhound rescue every weekend during the school year to walk the dogs and to also bring them to local nursing homes.
168 hours mixed/exotic. I worked one summer at a summer science camp that actually had over 100 species of animals and the counselors were required to help take care of them during the summer.
1240 hours wildlife: Common Loons. Past two summers I have been working as a field biologist surveying loons and monitoring their nesting activity.
480 hours wildlife: raptors. Spent a summer conducting raptor point count surveys
1320 hours wildlife: songbirds. spent a few different summers working with a variety of songbirds and conducting surveys, nest searches, etc.

Non-wildlife/animal experience
  • Front desk
  • Cook/kitchen aid
  • Camp teacher at an environmental summer camp
  • 6 months in the HealthCorps of AmeriCorps
  • Call center rep for medical insurance claims
  • Lift operator at a ski resort

Scholarships/Awards:

8 different college based scholarships
Honors Cord from my second undergrad degree
Environmental Professional Award
Dean’s List
Employee of the Quarter
Volunteer of the year

Activities/Memberships

Student Leadership Board
Volunteers in Action
Ski & Snowboard club
The Wildlife Society student chapter
The Wildlife Society: new professional

If it’s not obvious, I’m interested in wildlife medicine, and would definitely love to go to a school that has more direct opportunities within their program via electives or rotations. However, I realize with my less than stellar stats I may not have that luxury and am willing to make those experiences happen outside of the program if need be. I know how important networking is within the wildlife field and have already seen how advantageous it can be if you know so and so and to name drop like a boss ;).

Illinois, Tufts, and SGU have definitely peaked my interest. But I’m also trying to see if other schools that are the “cheaper” side for OOS would be a good fit for me as well, specifically the ones that convert to IS after the first year. Suggestions? Critiques?

You definitely not lacking in the experience sector! Did you take most of your pre-req's during the first or second B.S.? What do you think that GPA is. Your first undergrad GPA is quite low, but your second undergrad GPA is very competitive. Your overall cumGPA is a little on the low side, but definitely not a death sentence. It does shows that you have matured as a student/person and can handle classes better than you did previously, but be prepared to answer questions about it from the admissions committee. Is there a reason why your GPA's are so different? Your last 45 GPA is very competitive as well. Your non-vet/animal experience is pretty unique too which will bode well with adcoms. I would make sure to use the resources available to study hard for the GRE and get as high of a score as you can. You may want to look into sites like Kaplan that offer GRE prep since you did not do as well on your first run. Overall, you look very competitive the second go around.

Yeah I've only had 4 semesters now, and my first semester I was in freshman level classes and got a 4.0... So... It helps my overall GPA, but it doesn't show the struggle and victories I've had with classes recently.

What were some examples of animal experience hours you got? I might have more than I'm thinking of, but I'm just not sure what qualifies as animal experience.

I agree with a lot of people here that your experience in both vet and animal hours are very low. Most people apply with thousands of hours of experience, but not all (some with less, even a lot less). Those that get in with less hours always have other things that set them apart though. Like extracurricular activities such as a prevet club member or leader, research experience, a semester abroad that is very different, things like that.

Definitely retake the GRE. For some schools a high gre score matters a lot. Try and get in the 160s. Some will consider that a lot and maybe not look at your low hours.

However, if I were you, why not apply ONLY to your IS, Texas this year? That way if you get in, you get IS tuition, and you've saved lots of money by not applying to other schools. Then if you don't get in this year, you can do a file review with TX and learn exactly what their feedback is on how to improve your overall app which will be beneficial to when you apply to all the schools. So, if you do this and don't get in c/0 2021, you can reapply next year to a bunch of schools all across the U.S. (including TX again). Meanwhile getting lots of experience hours, EC stuff, and take additional science courses to boost your gpa.

There is a $100 fee for each school you apply to through vmcas (although the first vet school you choose to apply to through there is $200). THEN there are supplemental apps for each school that are $50-100 for each. There are very few schools that do not have a fee for their supp app. THEN keep in mind that if you get an interview to any school, you have to consider the cost of flying there and staying there. Flight + hotel = $$$ x how many schools you get an interview to. My friend applied to 10 schools, and only interviewed at 1 school which was IS, so no flight or hotel cost there. It cost her $2500.

**Also the GRE costs $200 each time you take it. (I forget if you said you took it or not or if you're retaking it).

There is a $100 fee for each school you apply to through vmcas (although the first vet school you choose to apply to through there is $200). THEN there are supplemental apps for each school that are $50-100 for each. There are very few schools that do not have a fee for their supp app. THEN keep in mind that if you get an interview to any school, you have to consider the cost of flying there and staying there. Flight + hotel = $$$ x how many schools you get an interview to. My friend applied to 10 schools, and only interviewed at 1 school which was IS, so no flight or hotel cost there. It cost her $2500.

**Also the GRE costs $200 each time you take it. (I forget if you said you took it or not or if you're retaking it).

This. When it was all said and done, applying through VMCAS, transcripts, sending GRE scores, and supplemental applications, I was in the hole almost 1200 dollars applying to 5 schools....:boom:

You definitely not lacking in the experience sector! Did you take most of your pre-req's during the first or second B.S.? What do you think that GPA is. Your first undergrad GPA is quite low, but your second undergrad GPA is very competitive. Your overall cumGPA is a little on the low side, but definitely not a death sentence. It does shows that you have matured as a student/person and can handle classes better than you did previously, but be prepared to answer questions about it from the admissions committee. Is there a reason why your GPA's are so different? Your last 45 GPA is very competitive as well. Your non-vet/animal experience is pretty unique too which will bode well with adcoms. I would make sure to use the resources available to study hard for the GRE and get as high of a score as you can. You may want to look into sites like Kaplan that offer GRE prep since you did not do as well on your first run. Overall, you look very competitive the second go around.

A large chunk of my pre reqs were done at my first B.S. But a lot of them were taken my freshman/sophomore years and that is when I struggled the most. Since then I show an upward trend from junior year on and then when I went back for my second degree and maintained my 3.7 for those 2 years. Looking back on those early years I know why I struggled as much as I did which boils down to very personal reasons, which I may further explain in my personal statement. As for the GRE.. I plan on using Magoosh, as I've heard very positive remarks and I have the prep books associated with magoosh, so hopefully that bodes in my favor. Taking it in July, so if my scores aren't reasonable, I have time to do a retake before they're due at schools
This. When it was all said and done, applying through VMCAS, transcripts, sending GRE scores, and supplemental applications, I was in the hole almost 1200 dollars applying to 5 schools....:boom:

This is why I don't think I'll be able to apply to more than 5 schools... realistically probably not more than 3, but I want to give myself options.... As far as GRE goes, there is a reduced fee program you can apply for. I was able to get it and I won't be paying the full amount for the test, even if I have to take it more than once. Worth looking into because any $$ saved in this process seems like it would be worth it.

A large chunk of my pre reqs were done at my first B.S. But a lot of them were taken my freshman/sophomore years and that is when I struggled the most. Since then I show an upward trend from junior year on and then when I went back for my second degree and maintained my 3.7 for those 2 years. Looking back on those early years I know why I struggled as much as I did which boils down to very personal reasons, which I may further explain in my personal statement. As for the GRE.. I plan on using Magoosh, as I've heard very positive remarks and I have the prep books associated with magoosh, so hopefully that bodes in my favor. Taking it in July, so if my scores aren't reasonable, I have time to do a retake before they're due at schools

This is why I don't think I'll be able to apply to more than 5 schools... realistically probably not more than 3, but I want to give myself options.... As far as GRE goes, there is a reduced fee program you can apply for. I was able to get it and I won't be paying the full amount for the test, even if I have to take it more than once. Worth looking into because any $$ saved in this process seems like it would be worth it.

How do you inquire about the reduced fee test?

The upward trend will help you out. Now, I am not sure if they will look at both bachelor's degrees since you do have pre-req's in both. If your pre-req GPA is good, then you should be okay. Just make sure to rock the GRE.

Yeah I am still paying back the money I had to put on the credit card for VMCAS and application-related costs. I am almost there. I don't know how people can apply to 10 schools or more!

Hey guys this is my first time posting on here and wanted to get an outside opinion of my chances to vet school. I live in NC and plan on applying to NC State, Tennessee, Georgia, and St. George's

I completed my Associate's Degree at community college during high school
GPA there was 3.7 (76 credit hours)

Currently a second semester sophomore at UNC
Anticipating graduating May 2018 with BS Biology, BA Chemistry, and Marine Science minor
GPA here is 2.6 (my biggest concern, but three more semesters + summer classes until application cycle) (42 credit hours so far)

REQ GPA: ~3.4
I'm not entirely sure the best way to calculate this, since I've taken Calc 1 twice (with an A and a B) and have taken multiple courses to fulfill the humanities, etc. requirements.

Close to 1,000 hours in small animal, with about 200 at an emergency clinic
Just recently secured a large animal internship for the summer, will get at least 300 hours from it, possibly up to ~800
Currently in the process of securing a research position with rabbit research going on currently
About 600 hours of animal experience between pet sitting and shelter volunteering
Involved with community service fraternity, pre-vet club (currently running for officer position), and an organization that trains shelter volunteers

Any advice is appreciated

Hey guys this is my first time posting on here and wanted to get an outside opinion of my chances to vet school. I live in NC and plan on applying to NC State, Tennessee, Georgia, and St. George's

I completed my Associate's Degree at community college during high school
GPA there was 3.7 (76 credit hours)

Currently a second semester sophomore at UNC
Anticipating graduating May 2018 with BS Biology, BA Chemistry, and Marine Science minor
GPA here is 2.6 (my biggest concern, but three more semesters + summer classes until application cycle) (42 credit hours so far)

REQ GPA: ~3.4
I'm not entirely sure the best way to calculate this, since I've taken Calc 1 twice (with an A and a B) and have taken multiple courses to fulfill the humanities, etc. requirements.

Close to 1,000 hours in small animal, with about 200 at an emergency clinic
Just recently secured a large animal internship for the summer, will get at least 300 hours from it, possibly up to ~800
Currently in the process of securing a research position with rabbit research going on currently
About 600 hours of animal experience between pet sitting and shelter volunteering
Involved with community service fraternity, pre-vet club (currently running for officer position), and an organization that trains shelter volunteers

Any advice is appreciated
Your experience hours look good to me, so I would keep that up and really focus on bringing that GPA up, and maybe look into schools that don't factor cGPA into their decisions. Although combining the 3.7 from your associates with the current 2.6 may help you out. Honestly the way VMCAS calculates GPAs is different than from the way each school does it, so you'll probably get slightly different numbers everywhere. You may have to do some legwork as far as researching that and figuring out which schools will calculate your numbers in the most favorable way. So I would say look into that, make sure you're getting As in your classes going forward, and rock out the GRE. Then you get into the more subjective things like your PS, eLORs, and interview skills.

Ok, I've finally worked up the nerve to post my stats.

First time applicant
28 y/o FL resident

Studying Biology
Florida State University

cGPA: 3.10
science GPA: 3.46
last 45 GPA: 4.0

GRE: Q/V/W 159/167/5.0

Experiences
Veterinary:
10,000+ hours small animal general practice (worked full time for 4.5 years + part time for 1.5 years up until now
~1,000 hours small animal emergency practice

Animal:
60 hours volunteer at wildlife rehabilitation center
30 hours volunteer at local zoo

Research:
100 hours research in history - World War II combat surgery
(I know it is not exactly relevant to vet med - but I have a big interest in history, and my research covers a lot of surgical and medical techniques that have since crossed over to animal medicine. I'm hoping this can earn me some "diversity" points if anything. I plan to have something published before applying as well).

Employment:
Multiple positions in customer service, retail, and restaurant. Nothing exciting.

Honors
Deans list x 2 semesters
Presidents list x 3 semesters

Extracurriculars
Management position at my current work x 4 years
Lived in Kenya for 2 years & Thailand for 10 years
Amateur musician
Played intramural / recreational flag football and soccer x 6 years

Clearly my cGPA is an issue. My experience and last 45 hours are my strong points. My GRE is ok. I would consider retaking it, although I actually did much better than I was anticipating the first time. I didn't even begin to consider veterinary school until I had been working at my current clinic for about two years. I applied to go back to school after doing really poorly during undergrad, prior to when I had any idea of a career to pursue. To give some context to how badly .... I have a 3.9 GPA since starting back into school 1.5 years ago, completing orgo I and II, physics I and II, biochem, and all my upper division bio classes. So after all that my cGPA is still only 3.10.

My plan is to apply to my IS UF, and OOS schools that emphasize last 45 GPA: Auburn, LSU, UCD, Minnesota, Iowa State, Michigan State, Mississippi State.

I am also going to try to get some equine veterinary experience over the summer, to be including with my application. My veterinary experience, while I have a lot of hours, is pretty much all SA.

So, any and all comments are welcome. If you think I am crazy to apply somewhere, please let me know. One thing that really worries me ... especially for UF, is that my application will have a <3.20 cGPA and be tossed aside without being opened at all. I feel like if my file can just be physically reviewed, let admissions officers see that I have improved academically, I have a reasonable shot. But if it doesn't even get reviewed I'll be pretty SOL.

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here. I do not have a lot of numbers calculated as far GPA goes. I have a B.S. in Finance and my Cum GPA at the moment is about 2.97. I am going to begin the prereqs now this summer semester and plan on applying for the 2018 school year. I have about 2000 hours working in an ER and Specialty Clinic. Also, I plan to volunteer at a wildlife hospital in the next couple of months. Any recommendations on what I can do to help my self through the process?

Ok, I've finally worked up the nerve to post my stats.

First time applicant
28 y/o FL resident

Studying Biology
Florida State University

cGPA: 3.10
science GPA: 3.46
last 45 GPA: 4.0

GRE: Q/V/W 159/167/5.0

Experiences
Veterinary:
10,000+ hours small animal general practice (worked full time for 4.5 years + part time for 1.5 years up until now
~1,000 hours small animal emergency practice

Animal:
60 hours volunteer at wildlife rehabilitation center
30 hours volunteer at local zoo

Research:
100 hours research in history - World War II combat surgery
(I know it is not exactly relevant to vet med - but I have a big interest in history, and my research covers a lot of surgical and medical techniques that have since crossed over to animal medicine. I'm hoping this can earn me some "diversity" points if anything. I plan to have something published before applying as well).

Employment:
Multiple positions in customer service, retail, and restaurant. Nothing exciting.

Honors
Deans list x 2 semesters
Presidents list x 3 semesters

Extracurriculars
Management position at my current work x 4 years
Lived in Kenya for 2 years & Thailand for 10 years
Amateur musician
Played intramural / recreational flag football and soccer x 6 years

Clearly my cGPA is an issue. My experience and last 45 hours are my strong points. My GRE is ok. I would consider retaking it, although I actually did much better than I was anticipating the first time. I didn't even begin to consider veterinary school until I had been working at my current clinic for about two years. I applied to go back to school after doing really poorly during undergrad, prior to when I had any idea of a career to pursue. To give some context to how badly .... I have a 3.9 GPA since starting back into school 1.5 years ago, completing orgo I and II, physics I and II, biochem, and all my upper division bio classes. So after all that my cGPA is still only 3.10.

My plan is to apply to my IS UF, and OOS schools that emphasize last 45 GPA: Auburn, LSU, UCD, Minnesota, Iowa State, Michigan State, Mississippi State.

I am also going to try to get some equine veterinary experience over the summer, to be including with my application. My veterinary experience, while I have a lot of hours, is pretty much all SA.

So, any and all comments are welcome. If you think I am crazy to apply somewhere, please let me know. One thing that really worries me ... especially for UF, is that my application will have a <3.20 cGPA and be tossed aside without being opened at all. I feel like if my file can just be physically reviewed, let admissions officers see that I have improved academically, I have a reasonable shot. But if it doesn't even get reviewed I'll be pretty SOL.
If I were you, I'd try to talk to the adcoms at UF to see what they think. I personally have no idea what your chances are like there, but some schools, like Colorado, really like seeing upward trends, and you definitely have that going for you! Other schools weight pre-req GPA and last 45 heavily, and again, you should be considered at those schools too.

Hi guys!
20 yo female, first time applicant
cGPA: 3.469
majorGPA (I'm not sure what the science GPA is?): 3.510
last 45(68 because quarter system..): 3.5ish
GRE q/v/w: 64%/63%/80%

Experience:
1000+ hours at a mixed practice hospital that had seven vets and saw any type of animal (probably 750+ would be mostly SA)
1000+ hours working with horses as a ranch hand and much more as an owner!
500+ hours with exotics (mostly sugar gliders, ferrets, and wild bunnies)
20 hours with different birds both at clinic and at my parent's house
50 hours with food animals (mostly chicken/turkey/duck)
15 hours wildlife from injured animals being brought into our clinic to rehabbing some orphaned babies (possums, bunnies, birds, skunks, raccoons, and a deer[broken leg-was euthanized so not much actual playtime...]!)

Research:
100 hours working with horses to validate a lactate hand held analyzer and its use in the performance of sport horses.

Non-vet job:
Hotel manager in Palm Springs since July of 2015. Will probably still be working here until I leave for school. Great experience for people skills!

Extracurricular:
Pre-Vet club in my school
Made the dean's list 3x(4?) I know my GPA doesn't necessarily reflect this..

LORs:
2 from vets I have previously worked with. Both are mixed practice, one is two years post vet school, the other has been practicing for 40 years. I want to be mixed practice or livestock/equine only, so I figured these guys would help the most.
1 from my physics professor? not sure yet.
1 from anatomy professor? Class starts next week!

Any comments/advice would be much appreciated! I'm also not sure about where I'm applying, so if you know of a school that would take my stats and has an equine program, please let me know!

Last edited:
If I were you, I'd try to talk to the adcoms at UF to see what they think. I personally have no idea what your chances are like there, but some schools, like Colorado, really like seeing upward trends, and you definitely have that going for you! Other schools weight pre-req GPA and last 45 heavily, and again, you should be considered at those schools too.

Thanks for your input. I hadn't considered Colorado (I think I balked out the OOS costs) but I may have another look at their admissions criteria. I'm planning on going to Gainesville for the UFCVM open house in a few weeks so I'll plan on discussing with the adcoms while I'm there if possible.

Ok, this is sort of a "what are my chances" and sort of a "what other school(s) do you recommend based on situation/statistics" post. I guess I just want some input from someone on the other side.

Degree: B.S. In Pre-Professional Biology in 2015
Classes left: Phys 1 (again) + Phys 2.. also taking animal nutrition online this summer for a pre req and GPA booster.

My grades are average.. 3.4ish cumGPA
GRE... i need to double check but if i remember correctly, 154Q/156V/4.5A

I have 1500 hrs at a SA animal clinic in FL and ~2000 at a SA + exotics clinic in GA-- both places I was a vet assistant.
I haven't calculated hours yet, but worked in UGAs necropsy lab for a year.
I've worked 25-35 hours a week all through college.

Bunch of animal experience. Mostly boarding kennels/groomers, but also a wildlife sanctuary and transporting rescue dogs.

I've got 3 separate research experiences thru my home university.

TA'd a couple labs in school, officer in a few different clubs on campus, volunteered at my university's aquarium thingy doing aquaculture initiation projects.

I currently work full time in a microbiology lab at a local pharmaceutical production plant. I'm a lab analyst as of now- working on getting associate microbiologist. I test water, analyze data, write reports, and other various adult-like shenanigans.

I have a bit of a unique story as I have a medical condition that forced me to take a year off during my undergrad. I will obviously address that in my explanation statement and put a positive spin on it without sounding cheesy (hopefully).

My PS is going to include my pathology experience, the fact that I have not always wanted to be a veterinarian, and my interest in pursuing a path residency.

I'm having one of the veterinary pathologists write me a letter, as well as 2 vets I've worked for, my current boss, and a professor from undergrad.

The plan is to apply to:
-UGA (IS, also my least favorite option)
-UF
-NCSU
-Washington
-UTenn
-Mizzou

I am really hoping to get in somewhere that
1) my husband can find a job and support us- he's finishing his masters in ecology
2) is in a town that would exist if the university weren't there- this sounds odd, i know. i prefer places that have more things to do and see besides going to school there. i went to undergrad in florida and we had a university, but there was more to the town than UWF.
3) won't put us in debt more than necessary (i know you'll say, go to UGA then! but i seriously despise this place that idk if my mental health can deal w it).

Does anyone have advice, input, thoughts, etc?

3) won't put us in debt more than necessary
Much as it would excite me to see you at UTK, the OOS tuition is pretty up there (somewhere between 53 and 55k a year - they do cover the tuition for the extra semester in the summer between 3rd and 4th year though), so if you're really taking the debt aspect into consideration I would not keep it on your list. Which sucks because I think you would have a really good shot. If you can swallow the debt then it's a great school to have on your list :D

Ok, this is sort of a "what are my chances" and sort of a "what other school(s) do you recommend based on situation/statistics" post. I guess I just want some input from someone on the other side.

Classes left: Phys 1 (again) + Phys 2.. also taking animal nutrition online this summer for a pre req and GPA booster.

I have 1500 hrs at a SA animal clinic in FL and ~2000 at a SA + exotics clinic in GA-- both places I was a vet assistant.

Bunch of animal experience. Mostly boarding kennels/groomers, but also a wildlife sanctuary and transporting rescue dogs.

TA'd a couple labs in school, officer in a few different clubs on campus, volunteered at my university's aquarium thingy doing aquaculture initiation projects.

I currently work full time in a microbiology lab at a local pharmaceutical production plant. I'm a lab analyst as of now- working on getting associate microbiologist. I test water, analyze data, write reports, and other various adult-like shenanigans.

I have a bit of a unique story as I have a medical condition that forced me to take a year off during my undergrad. I will obviously address that in my explanation statement and put a positive spin on it without sounding cheesy (hopefully).

My PS is going to include my pathology experience, the fact that I have not always wanted to be a veterinarian, and my interest in pursuing a path residency.

I'm having one of the veterinary pathologists write me a letter, as well as 2 vets I've worked for, my current boss, and a professor from undergrad.

The plan is to apply to:
-UF
-NCSU
-Washington
-UTenn
-Mizzou

1) my husband can find a job and support us- he's finishing his masters in ecology
2) is in a town that would exist if the university weren't there- this sounds odd, i know. i prefer places that have more things to do and see besides going to school there. i went to undergrad in florida and we had a university, but there was more to the town than UWF.
3) won't put us in debt more than necessary (i know you'll say, go to UGA then! but i seriously despise this place that idk if my mental health can deal w it).

Not to be a Debbie downer, but you may want to reconsider NCSU since they have a very low OOS acceptance rate. Their cutoff GPA for OOS is pretty high too, so at least make sure your GPA is above their cutoff. I don't really know much about any of the other schools to which you are applying.

Not to be a Debbie downer, but you may want to reconsider NCSU since they have a very low OOS acceptance rate. Their cutoff GPA for OOS is pretty high too, so at least make sure your GPA is above their cutoff. I don't really know much about any of the other schools to which you are applying...
No worries, that's why i posted this!

Oh yes, for NCSU, their cutoff for cumulative, science, and last 45 GPA is 3.4 for OOS applicants. It's super competitive, especially since a lot of OOS people apply there because of the tuition.

Hi guys!
20 yo female, first time applicant
cGPA: 3.469
majorGPA (I'm not sure what the science GPA is?): 3.510
last 45(68 because quarter system..): 3.5ish
GRE q/v/w: 64%/63%/80%

Experience:
1000+ hours at a mixed practice hospital that had seven vets and saw any type of animal (probably 750+ would be mostly SA)
1000+ hours working with horses as a ranch hand and much more as an owner!
500+ hours with exotics (mostly sugar gliders, ferrets, and wild bunnies)
20 hours with different birds both at clinic and at my parent's house
50 hours with food animals (mostly chicken/turkey/duck)
15 hours wildlife from injured animals being brought into our clinic to rehabbing some orphaned babies (possums, bunnies, birds, skunks, raccoons, and a deer[broken leg-was euthanized so not much actual playtime...]!)

Research:
100 hours working with horses to validate a lactate hand held analyzer and its use in the performance of sport horses.

Non-vet job:
Hotel manager in Palm Springs since July of 2015. Will probably still be working here until I leave for school. Great experience for people skills!

Extracurricular:
Pre-Vet club in my school
Made the dean's list 3x(4?) I know my GPA doesn't necessarily reflect this..

LORs:
2 from vets I have previously worked with. Both are mixed practice, one is two years post vet school, the other has been practicing for 40 years. I want to be mixed practice or livestock/equine only, so I figured these guys would help the most.
1 from my physics professor? not sure yet.
1 from anatomy professor? Class starts next week!

Any comments/advice would be much appreciated! I'm also not sure about where I'm applying, so if you know of a school that would take my stats and has an equine program, please let me know!

I've been considering Washington State, Missouri, Iowa, VA-MD, OK state, and SMU. What are pros/cons of these schools?

The plan is to apply to:
-UF
-NCSU
-Washington
-UTenn
-Mizzou

Washington lets you apply for residency after your first year (at least they did this past cycle), which would minimze your debt for OOS. However, Pullman is very much a college town!

The plan is to apply to:
-UF
-NCSU
-Washington
-UTenn
-Mizzou

An update on UTK stuff - someone brought this up in another thread. You may want to clarify with them yourself, but you could potentially get IS tuition at UTK!

I spoke to the Dean of admission about it, she said she's had a few students every other year who are married and it applies to them. Basically the rule is, if you're married to a Tennessee resident you get in state tuition, and the requirements for being a Tennessee resident are a full time job and permanent address. The rule doesn't say anything about moving to the state because your married partner is there for school , which maybe is an oversight that other states don't allow. I spoke to students at the school who were aware of the rule, and one OOS students who got instate tuition because of it. It was enough to seriously give me reason to go, since their instate tuition is 10k cheaper than my instate.

An update on UTK stuff - someone brought this up in another thread. You may want to clarify with them yourself, but you could potentially get IS tuition at UTK!

OOOOOh this IS good news! I would love to go to UTK. Mizzou, UTK, and Washington are my top 3 that I'd want to go to.

I've been considering Washington State, Missouri, Iowa, VA-MD, OK state, and SMU. What are pros/cons of these schools?

By SMU do you mean St. Matthew's U? If you do, it is not accredited, so that is what I know about the school.

By SMU do you mean St. Matthew's U? If you do, it is not accredited, so that is what I know about the school.
Yea, I've heard that. I also know that loans can be difficult to get. It more of a last choice school than anything else. I just want an idea if my stats are competitive for the schools I'm considering or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.