This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been considering Washington State, Missouri, Iowa, VA-MD, OK state, and SMU. What are pros/cons of these schools?
Well your experience looks pretty good, though your GPA may be a tad bit on the low side, depending on the school.

I'm currently a second year at Missouri, do you have any questions about it?

And even if it is a "back-up," I don't know if I would recommend applying to SMU, as it is not accredited yet and the extra-exams you will have to take to practice in the US have dismal pass rates. Is there a reason you are thinking that school over Ross or SGU instead (both are accredited)?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Well your experience looks pretty good, though your GPA may be a tad bit on the low side, depending on the school.

I'm currently a second year at Missouri, do you have any questions about it?

And even if it is a "back-up," I don't know if I would recommend applying to SMU, as it is not accredited yet and the extra-exams you will have to take to practice in the US have dismal pass rates. Is there a reason you are thinking that school over Ross or SGU instead (both are accredited)?

I'm mainly looking at schools based on price. For a California resident, there really is no easy option. Both of our IS schools are expensive.
Do you like the campus/faculty? Are you confident that you will find work after school? Is the weather decent(since I'm a Californian...)?

I'm mainly looking at schools based on price. For a California resident, there really is no easy option. Both of our IS schools are expensive.
Do you like the campus/faculty? Are you confident that you will find work after school? Is the weather decent(since I'm a Californian...)?
Well Mizzou would definitely be one of the cheapest you will find, since you can easily get IS-residency after the first year.

The campus is fine, I'll admit I don't really go over to main campus much, but there's lots of events and a nice rec center if you want to go there. Our faculty, like you will find at most vet schools, are great! They all really care about your education and will come in on weekends and holidays to anatomy lab or go over micro slides if you need extra help.

I am very confident in my ability to find work after school- we have 2 years of clinics (as opposed to most schools having one), and I've heard so many great things about it. Though keep in mind that every vet school will prepare you well for work/internship/residency.

Weather is okay- some days are a bit crazy (like 14 and snowing in the morning and 65 and sunny in the afternoon), but for the most part it's pretty bearable? I mean you will have to definitely get some winter gear, but it's not going to be a constant -30 degrees and 12 feet of snow during Jan-March.

Members don't see this ad :)

I agree with Ashgirl on their take on St. Matthew's. Since it is not accredited, that will make it more difficult for you after vet school. I honestly don't remember your stats, but apply to schools you have the stats for. Even some US schools that you think you may be on the fence about, apply! The mistake I think people make is not applying to enough schools in the US, and then deciding going out of the US is the only option. This isn't the case! Also about Ross, they have had many problems with students dropping out recently. This may be from burn out since you are in school all year long. So keep this in mind since you will be there for 2.5 years straight and not have a break at all except for a few weeks total each year. It could be a little more, but you are in classes fall, spring, and summer, so the breaks you have in between are only a week or two. I also read the pass rate for navle is not that high from Ross students. However I know great vets from Ross, so it may just depend on the person. I do know people that are there currently, as well as recent graduates. I am in no way putting down Ross, or anyone that chooses to go there. However, I do know a vet that is a recent graduate from there who said her experience with Ross was this: that it was hard to stay focused a lot of times because you are living on an island. Since she was living on an island, she also felt extremely isolated. She mentioned it being very expensive to live there including food, and that it was not the safest. I do know a few other people though that enjoy it. I think it depends on the person though.

What are some other schools that value experience and the "whole package" more heavily than GPA?

Well Mizzou would definitely be one of the cheapest you will find, since you can easily get IS-residency after the first year.

The campus is fine, I'll admit I don't really go over to main campus much, but there's lots of events and a nice rec center if you want to go there. Our faculty, like you will find at most vet schools, are great! They all really care about your education and will come in on weekends and holidays to anatomy lab or go over micro slides if you need extra help.

I am very confident in my ability to find work after school- we have 2 years of clinics (as opposed to most schools having one), and I've heard so many great things about it. Though keep in mind that every vet school will prepare you well for work/internship/residency.

Weather is okay- some days are a bit crazy (like 14 and snowing in the morning and 65 and sunny in the afternoon), but for the most part it's pretty bearable? I mean you will have to definitely get some winter gear, but it's not going to be a constant -30 degrees and 12 feet of snow during Jan-March.

That's great to know! Thank you so much for your insight! Do you feel that your classes are really hands-on or do you think you are intended to learn more on your own outside of class? One of my friends (he is a student in UC Davis's vet program) told me I need to look for a school that doesn't rely on the student being really self motivated. Or he might have just said that to push me away from looking at Western... Not sure!

I agree with Ashgirl on their take on St. Matthew's. Since it is not accredited, that will make it more difficult for you after vet school. I honestly don't remember your stats, but apply to schools you have the stats for. Even some US schools that you think you may be on the fence about, apply! The mistake I think people make is not applying to enough schools in the US, and then deciding going out of the US is the only option. This isn't the case! Also about Ross, they have had many problems with students dropping out recently. This may be from burn out since you are in school all year long. So keep this in mind since you will be there for 2.5 years straight and not have a break at all except for a few weeks total each year. It could be a little more, but you are in classes fall, spring, and summer, so the breaks you have in between are only a week or two. I also read the pass rate for navle is not that high from Ross students. However I know great vets from Ross, so it may just depend on the person. I do know people that are there currently, as well as recent graduates. I am in no way putting down Ross, or anyone that chooses to go there. However, I do know a vet that is a recent graduate from there who said her experience with Ross was this: that it was hard to stay focused a lot of times because you are living on an island. Since she was living on an island, she also felt extremely isolated. She mentioned it being very expensive to live there including food, and that it was not the safest. I do know a few other people though that enjoy it. I think it depends on the person though.
SMU was the only international school I was looking into. Mostly because it was one of my cheaper options. My stats aren't anything to write home about. ~3.5 GPA but a good amount of experience and a good amount of vets that I could get letters of rec from. Also, I am starting to volunteer at a zoo, so that should help too! Overall, I knew that it was not my best option for school. I think it's actually 5th or 6th on my list of where to apply. But this application cycle (I don't even think they have app deadlines there) I am only applying to 4-5 US schools. It is definitely the last one! I'm just trying to be realistic about where I apply because each one costs money. I'm already selling my eggs just to afford one year! Haha I appreciate your input though!

No accreditation = Pain in a$$
I know, but my family and I love the Caribbean! But I guess I'll just have to vacation there instead of try and learn! Thanks for your input!

24 y/o female applicant, 3rd time applying, Texas Resident

Hey guys, I’ve been putting off posting my stats for awhile. Mainly due to the fact that my grades aren't that great. However, I’ve taken a year off from applying to really consider my options and do some soul searching and decided there is nothing else I would rather do. I’ve spent the past year improving my application and am hoping that this year is the year.

3rd time applying to Texas A&M (IS), 1st time applying OOS
Graduated May 2014 with B.S. in Biomedical Science from Texas A&M University
Will graduate December 2016 with M.S. in Biomedical Science from Texas A&M

Applying to: Texas A&M (IS), Oklahoma State, Mississippi State, Michigan, Illinois, Virginia-Maryland, Lincoln Memorial, Midwestern

cGPA: 3.4 (w/ grad school; undergrad is 3.2)
Science GPA: ~3.3? Not really sure on this one as it will vary between the school since I have retaken some courses)
Last 45: 3.7 (will only have 33 hrs so far of grad school so have to go back to undergrad for part of it) (My undergrad last 45 was a 3.1)
Grad school GPA: 3.8
GRE: (V/Q/A): 152, 150, 4.5 ( I will be retaking this for the 3rd time in May and actually have been studying this time. My practice tests are showing improvement so I’m hoping it stays that way. I really suck at standardized testing. Lol)

Vet:
-3,200 hours as vet tech of a small animal hospital (my current job for 2 years; I also do reception work when needed as most of the techs are trained to work the front as well.)
-140 hours as vet assistant on a trip to South Africa. Worked on all exotics and quite a bit of cattle as well.
- 100 hours shadowing an equine veterinarian
- 200 hours shadowing a SA/ exotic veterinarian
- 500 hours as vet assistant at a small animal clinic back home (paid)

Animal:
- 3300 hours as a kennel technician at a doggie daycare/boarding facility (my job during my last 2 years of undergrad)
- 150 hours as a kennel technician at a doggie daycare/ boarding facility back home
- 20 hours feeding chickens for my old boss
- 10 hours feeding chickens for my new boss
- 100 hours pet ownership (both dog and horse; A&M allows this)
- 30 hours bottle feeding a baby calf at my old work

Non-animal employment:
-600 hours working as a secretary for my aunt’s business while home for the summers (answered phone calls, did quickbooks, input checks)

Research:
-60 hours as a surgical assistant on open heart surgery on pigs (this is ongoing and I’m hoping to do more in the summer. I absolutely love this research)
- 5 hours helping set traps and collecting wildlife to monitor for diseases

Letters:
- SA vet at my current job (owner of the practice)
- Other SA vet at my current job as well
- My mentor and histology professor during grad school
- Research professor that I am doing the research with that I also took physiology in grad school from

As you can see, my undergraduate grades were pretty bad and I’m still trying to pull myself up from that. I worked 30-40 hours a week the last two years in undergrad in order to pay the bills and took a 16-17 hour course load. After doing a file review with A&M, I decided to start my Masters and am really happy with my decision. I love my professors and the classes. Anyways, sorry if this was a bit long but I wanted to see what my chances are at the schools I want to apply to and see if anyone had any other advice. Thanks!

That's great to know! Thank you so much for your insight! Do you feel that your classes are really hands-on or do you think you are intended to learn more on your own outside of class? One of my friends (he is a student in UC Davis's vet program) told me I need to look for a school that doesn't rely on the student being really self motivated. Or he might have just said that to push me away from looking at Western... Not sure!
I feel like we get quite a bit of experience from clubs, and we do have a clinical skills class first year where you get hands-on with all sorts of animals. However, with our 2 +2 curriculum, a lot of time is focused in the classroom. That's okay in my mind, because you get 10 entire months in the clinic more than a lot of other schools, which is where you get the "hands-on" you are looking for.

Hi guys, this is my first time here. I was hoping to get some of your feedback about my stats, since I feel like only other pre-vet students actually know a million times more than my advisor.

This is my experience:

1. Paid full time clinic assistant for 5 years at bird of prey rehab center: (estimated 11,000 hours)
2. Full-time internship living on hospital grounds of another wildlife center: (estimated 900 hours)
3. Small animal vet tech: (estimated 880 hours)
4. Parasite research with electric fish (estimated 700 hours)
5. And I'm going to start shadowing an equine vet this summer.
6. I've also attended avian veterinary medicine workshops.

So, I have a lot of experience, I'm an older student (27), I'm from Uruguay (I don't know if they care about stuff like that). But my current undergrad gpa is a 3.23 since my father was in the hospital for colon cancer and that ruined a whole semester for me. I still have a year of undergrad left.

I feel like I won't get in because of the GPA. Anyway, thanks for your advice ahead of time, friends!

Hi guys, this is my first time here. I was hoping to get some of your feedback about my stats, since I feel like only other pre-vet students actually know a million times more than my advisor.

This is my experience:

1. Paid full time clinic assistant for 5 years at bird of prey rehab center: (estimated 11,000 hours)
2. Full-time internship living on hospital grounds of another wildlife center: (estimated 900 hours)
3. Small animal vet tech: (estimated 880 hours)
4. Parasite research with electric fish (estimated 700 hours)
5. And I'm going to start shadowing an equine vet this summer.
6. I've also attended avian veterinary medicine workshops.

So, I have a lot of experience, I'm an older student (27), I'm from Uruguay (I don't know if they care about stuff like that). But my current undergrad gpa is a 3.23 since my father was in the hospital for colon cancer and that ruined a whole semester for me. I still have a year of undergrad left.

I feel like I won't get in because of the GPA. Anyway, thanks for your advice ahead of time, friends!
Your plethora and broad range of hours should help to offset your GPA and help you stand out a little. Since you have 1 year left, I strongly suggest doing well in all of your classes to bump your GPA a little. Your last 45 GPA should display an upward trend which vet schools (that use last 45) like to see. I know people that have gotten into vet school with a GPA close to yours. Did you do well on the GRE?

It does not matter if you are an older student. A lot of older students have actually had more time to mature in school and life.

Your plethora and broad range of hours should help to offset your GPA and help you stand out a little. Since you have 1 year left, I strongly suggest doing well in all of your classes to bump your GPA a little. Your last 45 GPA should display an upward trend which vet schools (that use last 45) like to see. I know people that have gotten into vet school with a GPA close to yours. Did you do well on the GRE?

It does not matter if you are an older student. A lot of older students have actually had more time to mature in school and life.

I plan to take the GRE this summer. I go to FIU, which isn't a prestigious school but for some reason is ranked #6 hardest school to get an "A" in. I wish I could say that in the application. I tend to get a lot of "B's", which at the time I feel proud about because they're hard classes and I know a lot of students failed, but then it's not good enough. My GPA keeps me up at night, lol.

Also, since my family is Italian, I can get EU citizenship so I was looking at international schools like Glasgow, Edinburgh, Royal, and Dublin.

Members don't see this ad :)
I plan to take the GRE this summer. I go to FIU, which isn't a prestigious school but for some reason is ranked #6 hardest school to get an "A" in. I wish I could say that in the application. I tend to get a lot of "B's", which at the time I feel proud about because they're hard classes and I know a lot of students failed, but then it's not good enough. My GPA keeps me up at night, lol.

Also, since my family is Italian, I can get EU citizenship so I was looking at international schools like Glasgow, Edinburgh, Royal, and Dublin.
The good thing is vet schools tend to know those types of "hard" schools and look at your academic rigor. Your GPA is definitely not a death sentence. Especially with all of your experiences. I would try to do well on the GRE (above average) and perform as well as possible academically in your last year. You can also add your experience with your father in your explanation statement so the committee knows the reason why your grades slipped at that time. My father was in a similar situation in the hospital for around 5 months with liver failure. Thankfully, he survived, but it severely impacted my sophomore/junior transition and my grades were not great during that time. I included that in my explanation statement and it helped the ADCOM members at OSU understand what happened and my strength to overcome the situation and maintain semester GPA's of above 3.7 after that.

The good thing is vet schools tend to know those types of "hard" schools and look at your academic rigor. Your GPA is definitely not a death sentence. Especially with all of your experiences. I would try to do well on the GRE (above average) and perform as well as possible academically in your last year. You can also add your experience with your father in your explanation statement so the committee knows the reason why your grades slipped at that time. My father was in a similar situation in the hospital for around 5 months with liver failure. Thankfully, he survived, but it severely impacted my sophomore/junior transition and my grades were not great during that time. I included that in my explanation statement and it helped the ADCOM members at OSU understand what happened and my strength to overcome the situation and maintain semester GPA's of above 3.7 after that.

Thanks, Osudairy. I'm glad your father pulled through; mine did as well but it was a tough. I wish grades weren't such a big deal. I feel like my work in the field should be more important than whether or not I'm good at calculus.

I know it's very difficult to get in the first try, so I have a few grad programs that I'm also looking at. I hope I'm not 40 years old when I graduate vet school lol.

Thanks, Osudairy. I'm glad your father pulled through; mine did as well but it was a tough. I wish grades weren't such a big deal. I feel like my work in the field should be more important than whether or not I'm good at calculus.

I know it's very difficult to get in the first try, so I have a few grad programs that I'm also looking at. I hope I'm not 40 years old when I graduate vet school lol.
If you are really interested in grad programs, a really good one to look at is MPH (Master of Public Health). I know quite a few people that got this degree before vet school. I personally wanted to go to grad school first regardless, which is why I did a thesis-based Master's.

I'll look into it. I'm mainly looking at avian studies or wildlife conservation programs.

I feel like we get quite a bit of experience from clubs, and we do have a clinical skills class first year where you get hands-on with all sorts of animals. However, with our 2 +2 curriculum, a lot of time is focused in the classroom. That's okay in my mind, because you get 10 entire months in the clinic more than a lot of other schools, which is where you get the "hands-on" you are looking for.
Oh good! Yea, I think more hands-on will be more beneficial for me. How do you feel living costs are in the area? Do most people drive? Bike? Walk?

Question: do vet schools factor in age to their decision making process? Cause I am pretty young, and I wouldn't want that to negatively affect me since I'm applying for the 2017 cycle. (I'm 19 by the way, I turn 20 this summer).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Question: do vet schools factor in age to their decision making process? Cause I am pretty young, and I wouldn't want that to negatively affect me since I'm applying for the 2017 cycle. (I'm 19 by the way, I turn 20 this summer).

One of the (younger) vets I work with was 19 going on 20 when she applied and she got in. She said there was one person on one admissions committee who brought it up as a negative thing, but most don't care so much about age but maturity.

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think age is a factor... maturity certainly is. One of the things that an admissions officer told me this that the most common reason for a denial after an interview is that they got the impression that the person needed another year to mature, and learn more of the realities of vetmed. So I think if you seem grounded, knowledgable, and realistic about the profession, your age won't be a hindrance. For the record, I was 20 when I submitted my application, and I turned 21 a few months after. So I'm also young, and I still was successful. I think there's a few others that are young too on SDN... @vetmedhead IIRC?

Two of my classmates were you age when they applied and were accepted.

One of the (younger) vets I work with was 19 going on 20 when she applied and she got in. She said there was one person on one admissions committee who brought it up as a negative thing, but most don't care so much about age but maturity.
Okay! That's a good thing! Yeah I'm a July baby so I was always one of the youngest of my class, and then I skipped freshman year of college because of AP tests.. So I'm a 19 year old first semester senior..

Okay! That's a good thing! Yeah I'm a July baby so I was always one of the youngest of my class, and then I skipped freshman year of college because of AP tests.. So I'm a 19 year old first semester senior..

Well that's depressing. I turn 26 in July.. :meh:

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think age is a factor... maturity certainly is. One of the things that an admissions officer told me this that the most common reason for a denial after an interview is that they got the impression that the person needed another year to mature, and learn more of the realities of vetmed. So I think if you seem grounded, knowledgable, and realistic about the profession, your age won't be a hindrance. For the record, I was 20 when I submitted my application, and I turned 21 a few months after. So I'm also young, and I still was successful. I think there's a few others that are young too on SDN... @vetmedhead IIRC?

Yup, I was 20 when I applied/got in and I didn't turn 21 until last month! Age isn't as big of a deal as it sounds, and it's definitely not a hindrance to you at all.

I'm a 3-year-er as well thanks to AP, I'm 20 going on 21 though:)

I'm also graduating in 3 years, though I'm 20 going on 21.

There's two guys at my school that are c/o 2020 applicants that are graduating in three years and both got into their top school.

As long as stats/experiences/maturity are there I don't see it hindering an applicant!:)

Last edited:
Oh good! Yea, I think more hands-on will be more beneficial for me. How do you feel living costs are in the area? Do most people drive? Bike? Walk?
Cost of living here is super cheap! If you want a roommate or two, you can easily find a nice duxplex with a fenced in yard with amenities for $350-500 a month. If you want a single bedroom apartment you are looking at $400-600, depending on where you look!

Most people don't live "on campus," so I would say 99% of people have a car, though a few people bike to school when it is nice outside.

Another young'n here. Honestly age really doesn't matter at all, as long as you have the maturity to back it up.

Hello,

I am a puertorican woman, I have a 3.33 overall GPA, ~3.5 sGPA, 1300 hours of aquatic animal research, am starting small animal volunteer experience, worked at the veterans hospital as a health science tech for 2 years, shadowed a pediatrician and a neurosurgeon for about a month each (as you might notice I originally wanted to go for an MD), I haven't taken the GRE yet.

Where am I lacking? Do you think that I am in a good position to get accepted in some dvms? Also, I am missing a couple classes will they still consider me if i say im taking them in the fall or spring?

Hello,

I am a puertorican woman, I have a 3.33 overall GPA, ~3.5 sGPA, 1300 hours of aquatic animal research, am starting small animal volunteer experience, worked at the veterans hospital as a health science tech for 2 years, shadowed a pediatrician and a neurosurgeon for about a month each (as you might notice I originally wanted to go for an MD), I haven't taken the GRE yet.

Where am I lacking? Do you think that I am in a good position to get accepted in some dvms? Also, I am missing a couple classes will they still consider me if i say im taking them in the fall or spring?
Are you planning on applying this year?

If so, I'm going to be blunt- without vet experience, you will not get accepted this year. Not only do most vet schools require you to have a letter of recommendation from a vet, but if you are on the line about applying, you should really get some shadowing/work experience in and make sure this is the career for you. The more diverse your experience is (Small animal, large animal, exotics, equine, etc), the better. ETA: I just saw you are starting volunteering. That's great, do you know how many hours you will get before the application is due? Keep in mind that several schools have minimum hours you need to get before you can apply (some are as high as 400 hours).

As for classes- depending on the school, yes, you can take classes during the fall/spring that you apply. However, I would research the schools you are interested in and make sure they don't have any requirements on when to complete pre-reqs.

Hello, I am a 28 year old designer who has been working in the tech/game industries for the last 6 years and have been fairly successful at it. I am seriously considering changing careers to become a vet and plan on taking all the science pre-req courses in the next year or so. I just feel intimidated because my undergrad degree is in Design and I haven't seen or heard of anyone with fine arts/design degrees attempting to become veterinarians. I was wondering if vet schools look down upon bachelors in fine arts students. I know the cards are stack against us because we have no science courses under our belts, but what are my chances of getting into vet school assuming that I :
  • Ace all my science pre-reqs
  • Shadow/volunteer at a vet hospital for many hours
  • Get great recommendation from vets/professors/employers
  • Write a solid essay
  • Do really well in the interviews
On top of what I have already achieved:
  • Bachelors of Fine Arts double majoring in Industrial Design and Human-Computer Interaction from a prestigious design and engineering university notorious for having one the heaviest course loads out of almost all universities (School ranks in top 25 in the nation)
  • GPA: 3.5
  • GRE Verbal: 157, Math: 155, Writing: 3.5 (Barely studied, most likely retaking this)
  • I don't know if high school counts anymore, but I was an A student and took a ton of AP classes including AP Chemistry which I got a 5 on.
  • 6 years of work experience at a handful of tech/game companies and agencies of varying sizes.
  • Around 100 hours volunteering at a local humane society animal hospital socializing sick cats and kittens.
  • Around 80 hours volunteering at a pediatric hospital ward when I was in highschool.
  • I have 2 cats if that counts for anything. One of them have had extensive surgeries/vet visits due to stomatitis and a melanoma on his back.
  • Life experience? Maturity?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello, I am a 28 year old designer who has been working in the tech/game industries for the last 6 years and have been fairly successful at it. I am seriously considering changing careers to become a vet and plan on taking all the science pre-req courses in the next year or so. I just feel intimidated because my undergrad degree is in Design and I haven't seen or heard of anyone with fine arts/design degrees attempting to become veterinarians. I was wondering if vet schools look down upon bachelors in fine arts students. I know the cards are stack against us because we have no science courses under our belts, but what are my chances of getting into vet school assuming that I :
  • Ace all my science pre-reqs
  • Shadow/volunteer at a vet hospital for many hours
  • Get great recommendation from vets/professors/employers
  • Do really well in the interviews
On top of what I have already achieved:
  • Bachelors of Fine Arts double majoring in Industrial Design and Human-Computer Interaction from a prestigious design and engineering university notorious for having one the heaviest course loads out of almost all universities (School ranks in top 25 in the nation)
  • GPA: 3.5
  • GRE Verbal: 157, Math: 155, Writing: 3.5 (Barely studied, most likely retaking this)
  • I don't know if high school counts anymore, but I was an A student and took a ton of AP classes including AP Chemistry which I got a 5 on.
  • 6 years of work experience at a handful of tech/game companies and agencies of varying sizes.
  • Around 100 hours volunteering at a local humane society animal hospital socializing sick cats and kittens.
  • Around 80 hours volunteering at a pediatric hospital ward when I was in highschool.
  • I have 2 cats if that counts for anything. One of them have had extensive surgeries/vet visits due to stomatitis and a melanoma on his back.
  • Life experience? Maturity?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you take all your pre-reqs and do well in all (or at least most) of them, it's not going to matter that you got a degree in Design. It may even help you if it gives you a unique way to talk about yourself.

My IS lists the majors of their last accepted class online. Most of them were science related but there was German, Spanish, Latin American Studies and Music in there. You can have a major in whatever you want as long as you get the pre-reqs done. Technically speaking you don't even need a degree for some schools (but it does help).

If you do all of the bolded, I think you should be in good shape.

Having 2 cats probably doesn't count for anything though and your high school grades are irrelevant.

plan on taking all the science pre-req courses in the next year or so.
So just so you're aware, most of the classes- especially ochem and Biochem have prerequisites. For my school, you can't take ochem before completing 2 semesters of gen chem, and can't do Biochem until you complete 2 semesters of ochem.

So that's about 3 years- your school might be different, but you'll definitely want to look into this.

So just so you're aware, most of the classes- especially ochem and Biochem have prerequisites. For my school, you can't take ochem before completing 2 semesters of gen chem, and can't do Biochem until you complete 2 semesters of ochem.

So that's about 3 years- your school might be different, but you'll definitely want to look into this.

Taking summer courses can cut down on the total time. I second the advice to look into what your school offers. Make a plan now for which vet schools to target so you know exactly how many prereqs you have to take, and whether you can do any at a cheaper community college.

I know it is impossible to tell me exactly what my chances are but I'm looking for a general idea of what my chances are based on the following information. I am currently a sophomore (so some things are still in progress like the GRE, research, more Vet hours, ect.). I'm not exactly asking for advice on what more to do because I'm already stretching myself a little thin; I'd just like an idea of where I am on the acceptance spectrum at this rate with what I have so far:
  • About me: I am a cuban female at North Carolina State University (Graduating Class of 2018) Major: Animal Science with a concentration in Veterinary Bioscience. Pursuing a minor in Nutrition (this may not be complete by time the VMCAS application is sent in but will definitely be complete by graduation)
  • Grades: Cumulative GPA: 3.778 Major GPA: 3.424 (*GPAs might decrease some because I am currently in organic chemistry and will probably receive a C (I am retaking it this summer but will still probably have about a 3.0 this current semester) With my classes getting harder I will probably have about a 3.4 or 3.5 when applying on VMCAS.
  • Extra-circulars: Officer in the Pre-veterinary club at NCSU; CALS ambassador my junior year; and was in a sorority up until this year.
  • Experience: o Shadowed at a vet clinic: 227 hours; o Worked at a small animal boarding facility: 252 hours; o Volunteer at NCSU's small ruminant unit: 220 hours (will probably have about 2oo more applying to VMCAS at this rate); o Volunteered in Costa Rica at a vet clinic over spring break: 40 hours; o Currently working as a veterinary technician and will hopefully receive about 700 hours before applying to VMCAS.
  • Research: I have no research yet but plan on taking part in research the summer of junior year for about 50 hours.
  • Random: Lastly I thought I should mention I will be veterinary assistant certified by my veterinary clinic and have also volunteered with the Humane Society, Great Dane Rescue, and NC State fair in high school. I am also taking summer classes and organizing my schedule to have all of my prerequisites done for each school I'm applying to. I will probably have two classes still in progress.
Please let me know what you think my chances are at this rate? I know it's only getting more and more competitive and I just want to know if I should expect to have to reapply a second time? I'm okay with having to reapply if need be but would like to know if I am probably going to have to reapply so I can start planning ahead. OR if you have any suggestions as to where I should apply based on my resume that'd be great too! I need to stay in the US but am pretty much open to any school the US has to offer.
Schools I'm applying to: UT, Cornell, Upenn, UF, NCSU, Virginia-Maryland, Tuskegee, Washington State, Mississippi, and possibly Georgia.

I know it is impossible to tell me exactly what my chances are but I'm looking for a general idea of what my chances are based on the following information. I am currently a sophomore (so some things are still in progress like the GRE, research, more Vet hours, ect.). I'm not exactly asking for advice on what more to do because I'm already stretching myself a little thin; I'd just like an idea of where I am on the acceptance spectrum at this rate with what I have so far:
  • About me: I am a cuban female at North Carolina State University (Graduating Class of 2018) Major: Animal Science with a concentration in Veterinary Bioscience. Pursuing a minor in Nutrition (this may not be complete by time the VMCAS application is sent in but will definitely be complete by graduation)
  • Grades: Cumulative GPA: 3.778 Major GPA: 3.424 (*GPAs might decrease some because I am currently in organic chemistry and will probably receive a C (I am retaking it this summer but will still probably have about a 3.0 this current semester) With my classes getting harder I will probably have about a 3.4 or 3.5 when applying on VMCAS.
  • Extra-circulars: Officer in the Pre-veterinary club at NCSU; CALS ambassador my junior year; and was in a sorority up until this year.
  • Experience: o Shadowed at a vet clinic: 227 hours; o Worked at a small animal boarding facility: 252 hours; o Volunteer at NCSU's small ruminant unit:220 hours (will probably have about 2oo more applying to VMCAS at this rate); o Volunteered in Costa Rica at a vet clinic over spring break: 40 hours; oCurrently working as a veterinary technician and will hopefully receive about 700 hours before applying to VMCAS.
  • Research: I have no research yet but plan on taking part in research the summer of junior year for about 50 hours.
  • Random: Lastly I thought I should mention I will be veterinary assistant certified by my veterinary clinic and have also volunteered with the Humane Society, Great Dane Rescue, and NC State fair in high school. I am also taking summer classes and organizing my schedule to have all of my prerequisites done for each school I'm applying to. I will probably have two classes still in progress.
Please let me know what you think my chances are at this rate? I know it's only getting more and more competitive and I just want to know if I should expect to have to reapply a second time? I'm okay with having to reapply if need be but would like to know if I am probably going to have to reapply so I can start planning ahead. OR if you have any suggestions as to where I should apply based on my resume that'd be great too! I need to stay in the US but am pretty much open to any school the US has to offer.
Schools I'm applying to: UT, Cornell, Upenn, UF, NCSU, Virginia-Maryland, Tuskegee, Washington State, Mississippi, and possibly Georgia.

Hello! I'm a recent undergraduate - I had initially planned to try for graduate school, but after talking it over with my family, considering the job prospects, and getting a few rejection letters, I am considering trying for a long standing and improbable dream of going for a veterinary degree. I'm a bit new to these forums, but was hoping for a bit of advice (mostly regarding shining a light on the shadowing process). I know I have a bit of catch up to do, but I am hopeful that I can still apply this year. Here are my stats, the schools I'm hoping to apply for, and some questions at the end:

GPA: 3.85 cumulative
GRE: 160 V / 156 Q / 5.0 A
Degree: BS in Biology (2015)
Honors: Dean's List, Magna Cum Laude

Veterinary Experience:

- None yet - I could use some advice on finding positions for shadowing. I have a list of local veterinary offices around my city, and will also ask the shelter that I'm volunteering at if I can shadow in the clinic.

Volunteer Experience:

- Wildlife Care/Rehabilitation: 25 hours. Currently doing 5 hours/week.
- Kennel Cleaning/Shelter Cat Care: 21 hours. Currently doing 3 hours/week.

Research Experience:
- Conducted and presented findings on terrestrial snail feeding behavior. (~120 hours)
- Assisted with a study on the impact of crows on local wetlands. (~30 hours)

Work Experience:

- 10 year + work history, primarily in customer service, technical support and quality control.
- More recently, I worked as a grader and discussion section leader for undergraduate Biology classes.

Extra Experience:
- Studied abroad in Japan for 3 weeks in Sept, 2015. The primary focus was on culture and nuclear power, but I feel this can still be relevant to biology as energy generation and usage has a huge impact on the environment.
- Assisted in raising numerous litters of kittens and a litter of husky puppies during my childhood.

Schools I would like to apply to: Washington State (my IS school), UC Davis, Cornell, Colorado State

My concerns:
- Is it possible to get sufficient shadowing hours between now and September to apply for the 2017 cycle?
- What's the best way to get shadowing experience? I know this really depends on the location, but honestly, any tips would be very much appreciated.
- Overall cost is honestly what kept me from pursuing veterinary school sooner, it sounds like it might be possible to get in-state rates in CA or NY after a year. If accepted, I would be moving with my spouse who will be seeking employment in whichever state we go to if that helps.
- Is it worth retaking the GRE to try and approve my Quantitative score? My scores matched the pre-test results I got almost perfectly, and I feel I could do better if I got more practice in and skipped the questions I wasn't sure about rather than spending so much time on them.
- I am a bit older than your average veterinary student. I am fine with trying again for the 2018 cycle, but I am unsure if I should keep trying after that or go for a veterinary technician degree.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. :D

Hello! I'm a recent undergraduate - I had initially planned to try for graduate school, but after talking it over with my family, considering the job prospects, and getting a few rejection letters, I am considering trying for a long standing and improbable dream of going for a veterinary degree. I'm a bit new to these forums, but was hoping for a bit of advice (mostly regarding shining a light on the shadowing process). I know I have a bit of catch up to do, but I am hopeful that I can still apply this year. Here are my stats, the schools I'm hoping to apply for, and some questions at the end:

GPA: 3.85 cumulative
GRE: 160 V / 156 Q / 5.0 A
Degree: BS in Biology (2015)
Honors: Dean's List, Magna Cum Laude

Veterinary Experience:

- None yet - I could use some advice on finding positions for shadowing. I have a list of local veterinary offices around my city, and will also ask the shelter that I'm volunteering at if I can shadow in the clinic.

Volunteer Experience:

- Wildlife Care/Rehabilitation: 25 hours. Currently doing 5 hours/week.
- Kennel Cleaning/Shelter Cat Care: 21 hours. Currently doing 3 hours/week.

Research Experience:
- Conducted and presented findings on terrestrial snail feeding behavior. (~120 hours)
- Assisted with a study on the impact of crows on local wetlands. (~30 hours)

Work Experience:

- 10 year + work history, primarily in customer service, technical support and quality control.
- More recently, I worked as a grader and discussion section leader for undergraduate Biology classes.

Extra Experience:
- Studied abroad in Japan for 3 weeks in Sept, 2015. The primary focus was on culture and nuclear power, but I feel this can still be relevant to biology as energy generation and usage has a huge impact on the environment.
- Assisted in raising numerous litters of kittens and a litter of husky puppies during my childhood.

Schools I would like to apply to: Washington State (my IS school), UC Davis, Cornell, Colorado State

My concerns:
- Is it possible to get sufficient shadowing hours between now and September to apply for the 2017 cycle?
- What's the best way to get shadowing experience? I know this really depends on the location, but honestly, any tips would be very much appreciated.
- Overall cost is honestly what kept me from pursuing veterinary school sooner, it sounds like it might be possible to get in-state rates in CA or NY after a year. If accepted, I would be moving with my spouse who will be seeking employment in whichever state we go to if that helps.
- Is it worth retaking the GRE to try and approve my Quantitative score? My scores matched the pre-test results I got almost perfectly, and I feel I could do better if I got more practice in and skipped the questions I wasn't sure about rather than spending so much time on them.
- I am a bit older than your average veterinary student. I am fine with trying again for the 2018 cycle, but I am unsure if I should keep trying after that or go for a veterinary technician degree.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. :D

As a fellow nontraditional student I just wanted to say way to go! I know it can be really hard making that first step. As far as the GRE scores, it doesn't hurt to retake them because most schools only consider your highest score from each exam. For UC Davis that is really important because they only look at the Quantitative portion of your GRE and their OOS applicants are ridiculously competitive. For experience, don't just shoot for shadowing try to get actual hands on experience. I found a place that would let me do that at an emergency clinic, because they always needed help. To find that place I literally called every vet hospital, clinic, and shelter in a 30 mile radius of me and kept hounding them when they wouldn't call me back. Be persistent! Your GPA looks great but you also have to look at your science GPA, it's really important to a lot of schools. If it's as awesome as your cGPA you shouldn't have any problems. Best of luck!

It is good that your GPA is an upward trend. However the 3.1 cumGPA is going to make it hard for you. Your MS GPA may help you with some schools. Some schools use the MS GPA and some do not. NC State is a difficult school to get into even with in-state status. Plus, they do not conduct interviews so it is solely from what you have on paper plus LOR's. If you don't get in this cycle, you may want to consider retaking classes (especially pre-reqs) that you got sub-par grades in. That should help your GPA overall. You may want to check out this link here. It shows all vet school stats including average GPA of students admitted.
Your animal, research, and leadership experience are very good. You definitely want to get more vet experience hours. Schools have a minimum of 400-500 hours upon applying. A lot of students apply with 1000's of vet school hours. However, quality is better than quantity. Schools like to see a broad range of disciplines and quality hours in which you did more than just watch. I hope this helps. Good luck!
Would it be worth it to retake a C to get a higher grade?

For experience, don't just shoot for shadowing try to get actual hands on experience. I found a place that would let me do that at an emergency clinic, because they always needed help. To find that place I literally called every vet hospital, clinic, and shelter in a 30 mile radius of me and kept hounding them when they wouldn't call me back. Be persistent!

Thanks for the advice and well wishes! I'm not entirely sure on how to calculate my science GPA, but if I just included the Biology majors courses, and STEM prerequisites, it comes out to around 3.82 (I took a hit from physics and organic chemistry).

As for gaining experience - I would certainly love to get hands on work as well, but honestly I'll take what I can get. I haven't had much luck in finding internships up here, but I will start calling some clinics later this week.

So what exactly does it mean by Science GPA. Any science course we've taken? Because I took Plant and Soil Science freshman year for my major/ easy A. It's a science class, but it's not relevant.

EDIT:
JK I found it on the VMCAS portal. I'll add it here, in case other people were confused.

"Science GPAs will include courses with the following course subjects: Animal Science, Biochemistry, Biology, Inorganic Chemistry, Microbiology, Organic Chemistry, Other Life Science, Other Science, Physics.

Non-Science GPAs will include courses with the following course subjects: Business, Computer Science, English/Literature, General Non-Science, General Non-Science, Math, Public Speaking, Social/Behavioral Science"

Last edited:
So what exactly does it mean by Science GPA. Any science course we've taken? Because I took Plant and Soil Science freshman year for my major/ easy A. It's a science class, but it's not relevant.
Yes, all science-based courses.

EDIT: It is basically most of the science classes you take as an undergrad. There is specific information on VMCAS site pertaining to those classes.

Would it be worth it to retake a C to get a higher grade?
Yes, it would most likely be a good idea if your cumGPA is not where you want it to be. I would strongly suggest to make sure that you shoot for an A on the retake as most schools average the 2 grades.

Last edited:
Really depends on the school, they all do the science GPA calculations differently. For estimating my science GPA I always just included all science courses. So that course would be included.

Really depends on the school, they all do the science GPA calculations differently. For estimating my science GPA I always just included all science courses. So that course would be included.
That makes me happy. It was such an easy A (and it'll balance out the C I got in ochem). Also, my school doesn't have + and -'s, so even though my A's were LOW A's, it doesn't matter.

EDIT:
JK I found it on the VMCAS portal. I'll add it here, in case other people were confused.

"Science GPAs will include courses with the following course subjects: Animal Science, Biochemistry, Biology, Inorganic Chemistry, Microbiology, Organic Chemistry, Other Life Science, Other Science, Physics.

Non-Science GPAs will include courses with the following course subjects: Business, Computer Science, English/Literature, General Non-Science, General Non-Science, Math, Public Speaking, Social/Behavioral Science"
I heard somewhere UF won't accept Animal Science as part of the science GPA but that seems strange since it's a class they require. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, because I would be so happy!

EDIT:

As mentioned, they all calculate it differently.

Personally, I like my estimates to be as accurate as possible so I just went and checked what courses the school I was applying to was going to include.

(And I'm glad I did look because my IS doesn't include Gen Chem II for some odd reason but does include calculus)

25 y/o male applicant, first time applying, Illinois resident (moved here August 17 2015 and have had a full-time job the entire time so I'm hoping I will have residency in August for the application)

Graduated in December 2011 from the University of Central Florida with a B.S. in Molecular Biology and Microbiology
Graduated in December 2014 from the University of Central Florida with a M.S. in Conservation Biology (non-thesis)

Applying to: Illinois (potentially IS), Wisconsin, Iowa State, Oregon State, and Virginia-Maryland

Undergrad GPA: 3.68
Grad GPA: 3.43
Last 45 (including grad): 3.51
GRE: 168v/158Q/4.5AW

Vet:
-144 hours as a Veterinary Assistant at a small animal clinic back home in Florida
-80 hours as a Veterinary Assistant at a small animal clinic in Illinois (will have approximately 144 hours by the time I apply) (current part-time job)
-32 hours as a Clinic Assistant at a wildlife rehab center (mostly raptors and small mammals, should have approximately 104 hours when I apply) (current part-time volunteer position)

Animal:
-108 hours as an Animal Keeper at the same wildlife rehab center (current part-time volunteer position)
-40 hours spent excavating Gopher Tortoise burrows for relocation
-960 hours spent monitoring migratory birds at an environmental consulting firm (might be a stretch I didn't work directly with the birds)

Non-animal employment:
-2400 hours spent working as a scientist at an environmental consulting firm (current full-time job)
-960 hours spent working as a laboratory assistant at a hospital
-160 hours spent working as a pharmacy technician
-448 hours spent working as a land management intern

No research experience, despite finishing a graduate degree which is...strange, but whatever.

Letters:
-Veterinarian at my current part-time job (owner)
-Veterinarian at wildlife rehab center
-Professor from my graduate biostatistics course
-City Planner/Professor I shadowed

I am really worried about getting Illinois residency for application purposes, since I wasn't able to move here until August and I obviously don't want to be considered OOS. Moved here to get residency, but I might not have given myself enough time.

UPDATE: First batch of ISU interviews!

Last edited:
25 y/o male applicant, first time applying, Illinois resident (moved here August 17 2015 and have had a full-time job the entire time so I'm hoping I will have residency in August for the application)

Graduated in December 2011 from the University of Central Florida with a B.S. in Molecular Biology and Microbiology
Graduated in December 2014 from the University of Central Florida with a M.S. in Conservation Biology (non-thesis)

Applying to: Illinois (potentially IS), Wisconsin, Iowa State, Oregon State, and Virginia-Maryland

Undergrad GPA: 3.68
Grad GPA: 3.43
Last 45 (including grad): 3.51
GRE: 168v/158Q/4,.5AW

Vet:
-144 hours as a Veterinary Assistant at a small animal clinic back home in Florida
-80 hours as a Veterinary Assistant at a small animal clinic in Illinois (will have approximately 144 hours by the time I apply) (current part-time job)
-32 hours as a Clinic Assistant at a wildlife rehab center (mostly raptors and small mammals, should have approximately 104 hours when I apply) (current part-time volunteer position)

Animal:
-108 hours as an Animal Keeper at the same wildlife rehab center (current part-time volunteer position)
-40 hours spent excavating Gopher Tortoise burrows for relocation
-960 hours spent monitoring migratory birds at an environmental consulting firm (might be a stretch I didn't work directly with the birds)

Non-animal employment:
-2400 hours spent working as a scientist at an environmental consulting firm (current full-time job)
-960 hours spent working as a laboratory assistant at a hospital
-160 hours spent working as a pharmacy technician
-448 hours spent working as a land management intern

No research experience, despite finishing a graduate degree which is...strange, but whatever.

Letters:
-Veterinarian at my current part-time job (owner)
-Veterinarian at wildlife rehab center
-Professor from my graduate biostatistics course
-City Planner/Professor I shadowed

I am really worried about getting Illinois residency for application purposes, since I wasn't able to move here until August and I obviously don't want to be considered OOS. Moved here to get residency, but I might not have given myself enough time.
Your GPA's seem good, especially for grad school. Nice job on the GRE (especially the verbal part)! Those scores are competitive. Although your animal and non-animal experience is good and covers some broad areas, the main issue I see is your vet experience. Some schools require at least 400-500 hours to be considered. I am not sure about Illinois. Keep in mind that a lot of people apply with over 700 vet hours with some students in the 1000's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.