This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I were you, I would definitely try and improve my GRE score. A 3.79 is a good GPA but next to other vet school applicants with the same GPA and higher test scores, it will not look as great. You are right that UF mentions the "sliding scale" so to speak, but you still have to look at what they consider a competitive GRE. Their website says a "minimum (suggested) academic criteria" GRE score of 1100 (or 300-304 for the new GRE) so a competitive GRE is even higher than that. http://education.vetmed.ufl.edu/admissions/dvm-specifics/
Why is it that you aren't doing well on the GRE? Are you not familiar with the format? Are you not brushing up on the material? What makes you so nervous when you test? And what can you do to try and improve these issues. Telling an adcom your score is low because you don't test well, isn't going to encourage them to put you into a rigorous academia with tons of tests. I would definitely not say it is impossible for you to get in, but If I were you, I would try and strengthen that part of your application. I took the GRE and freaked out that the questions were getting so hard (technically a good thing) and christmas treed half of it because I gave up. One month later, I relaxed and told myself it was a good thing and improved my score by 150 points. Try and figure out the root cause of your testing problem, and see what you can't do to improve it! Best of luck!:luck:
Thanks for the comment! I tend to test well in all of my regular classes, but when it came to the GRE I kinda freaked. The same thing happened when I took my ACT (several years ago). I tend to think I would have done better had it been a paper test. The computer part I would have to pratice with definitely. I could give many reasons why it is low, but I don't like to hear lots of reasons/excuses from others so I won't offer any of my own. Thanks for answering my second question as well!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys! I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I'm not sure if people are still using this much (it's a huge thread, I can't imagine reading all of it hah) but I thought I'd post to ask some opinions since a lot of you seem to know more about the application process and what it will take to get into a vet school than I do. I've always wanted to work with animals, actually originally went to college for Zoology, and think I'd like this more than anything else but I got a bit off track in the beginning of college and almost became a Psychologist before realizing that I think Psych is interesting, but not something I want for a career heh I'll try to give a breakdown of my basic info like others seem to be doing:

B.A. in Psychology (received in 2009 with a minor in Human Development and Family Relations then worked a year as a Psych Tech in a psychiatric hospital and decided it's not what I wanted to do)
B.S. in Biology (will receive it this spring)

Cum GPA: 3.84 (will have it to a 3.85 by May but can't imagine that matters)
Science GPA: around a 3.7 - 3.9 (it depends on which school's science requirements you're going by)
Last 45 credit hours GPA: 3.89

GRE in 2008 before it was revised:
560V, 720Q, 5.0A
GRE in 2011 after revised: (I'll give the score and the old version equivalent that the chart says since they changed the scoring to be out of 170 instead of 800)
170V (chart says equivalent to anything from 760-800 apparently, so I'll say 780), 163Q (= 780 on old test), 5.0A(same scale)

I have a decent amount of research experience but none of it is directly with animals and I only have animal experience from pet sitting and volunteering a bit at an animal shelter when I was younger, but that was probably less than 50 hours even, so I entirely realize I need to work on the vet experience and animal experience in a huge way. I'm going to try hard to get whatever experience I can no until fall when I apply and think I can write a really good personal statement and get some good LoR. I'm planning to shadow some vets and hopefully volunteer at or work at a vet clinic or animal shelter (or both, more likely) so I plan to try to be with a vet enough to get a good letter from one of them as well.

I know a lot of people have thousands of hours of experience but I know I have a good GPA and excellent GRE scores so I was wondering about how many I should aim for, because if I can't get a real job in a related area, which I may not be able to since I live in a reasonably small area in Maine (no vet schools here, lame...), then I'd have to just do shadowing and volunteering on top of working full time, which I'd do, it'd just be really rough to try and volunteer full time too, plus I'll be in school until May anyway. This summer I'm moving to a more populated area so I'm hoping to get to work/volunteer in some more diverse areas and looking into a wildlife rehabilitation center (which I think would be amazing!) so I'll have better opportunities then but still only a few months before I'll have to apply. Sorry for rambling, just wanted to try to explain my situation because I really don't know if I could be fine with 400 hours total or if I should get 500 hours of vet experience and 500 of animal experience or more...of course over the next year I'd be able to get more since I can work full time, but I wouldn't be able to put that on my application, just maybe email them about it after the fact?

Thank you for ANY thoughts/opinions!

I think you're OK as far as academics and GRE, I wouldn't say awesome, but decent. You're definitely lacking in experience hours, which you're aware of. Fix that and I think you're in good shape. What schools are you looking at applying to?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're OK as far as academics and GRE, I wouldn't say awesome, but decent. You're definitely lacking in experience hours, which you're aware of. Fix that and I think you're in good shape. What schools are you looking at applying to?

I would put your GPAs into the slightly above average category, personally. I would feel safe with your GPA and test scores, but obviously much more experience is needed. My GPA is lower than yours, almost identical GRE scores, and I've had 2 interview invites so far... just my opinion.... Like squirrels said, slightly dependent on the schools you're applying to as well.

Hi Suitter -

Re: animal/vet experience. Concentrate on vet experience if you have a limited amount of time. If you are doing wildlife rehab, without a vet around, that sounds like a great experience, but it won't go under veterinary experience.

Focus on shadowing/volunteering/vet job for now. You want to at least demonstrate to the adcoms that you have a good understanding of what the profession is about, i.e what it means to be a vet.

Good luck.

Hey all. I've been a longtime lurker here, and I love reading all the advice that's available. I'm going to start posting more in the future!

That said, these are my stats. I'm graduating in May with BA in Biology and am a Massachusetts resident. I want to take a "year off" to get more experience and apply in the fall. I'm already lined up as a volunteer at an equine clinic this summer and am looking for any more suggestions you can give. I have more diverse (aquarium/exotic) experience than traditional (small animal/equine/LA), so I'm still searching for more (especially LA) experience.

Female, 21, Massachusetts resident

Undergrad: BA, Major in Biology
cGPA: 3.42 (should have a 3.5 upon graduation--lots of upper level biology)
SciGPA: haven't calculated
Last45 GPA: 3.7something

GRE: First try: 610V, 570Q, 4.5AW
Second try (eighteen days later--lots of math studying!): 580V, 690Q, 4.5AW

Veterinary experience:
770 hours aquarium medical center volunteer (lots of cool procedures!)
205 hours shadowing small animal/exotic vet

Animal experience:
~400 hours kennel attendant at small animal/exotic clinic
50 hours zookeeper aide volunteer
15 hours marine mammal stranding first responder/necropsy tech

Honors:
Should graduate cum laude
Dean's list 3 times
Various scholarships
Biology honor society

Activities:
Member in dance group at school (8+ hours a week)
Box office manager
Research assistant - various climate change/plant conservation/conservation biology projects
Volunteered at a hospital for 5 months
TA'ed zoology twice
Pre-vet society
Relay for Life volunteer
Open Water SCUBA certification

Thanks for any suggestions :)

Cloudless
While your Gpa (though it does show and upward trend WITH upper division science classes which is great!) and GRE (mine were worse and I got in) are not spectacular I really think your experiences are. There are SO few people that have veterinary aquarium experience! If I were you I would stick to your plan of getting more LA experience in your year off. If being an aquatics vet is what you want then I do worry about you finding a niche in an admitted class because they do seem to accept people based on the positions they need to fill. So I might "market" yourself as someone willing to do exotics as this migh help you get in. I am also not sure if there are schools that are better for this field (maybe FL?). I do highly recommend the year off route as it is so nice to have a year without studies. Good luck next year.

Wait...squirrelsrule and emiloo4, were you responding to my post? I'm confused about my GPA and GRE...how is that just decent/okay? I've seen on here people being congratulated for 3.7 and being told they were okay with a 1300.......I know I need tons more experience but I was under the impression good scores for GPA and GRE would help make up for at least a bit of that?

Startingovervet, thanks! I believe the wildlife rehab would involve working with a vet who is employed there, though I'm not sure if she works there part time or full time. I'll definitely take your advice though and make sure to work hard on the vet experience and such.

Wait...squirrelsrule and emiloo4, were you responding to my post? I'm confused about my GPA and GRE...how is that just decent/okay? I've seen on here people being congratulated for 3.7 and being told they were okay with a 1300.......I know I need tons more experience but I was under the impression good scores for GPA and GRE would help make up for at least a bit of that?

Startingovervet, thanks! I believe the wildlife rehab would involve working with a vet who is employed there, though I'm not sure if she works there part time or full time. I'll definitely take your advice though and make sure to work hard on the vet experience and such.

Yeah, I was confused by squirrels post as well (but then again squirrels has pretty much a perfect gpa :D... go squirrels!). That's why I said I would personally put you above average! I would feel very comfortable with your stats... wish I had them ;). But keep in mind, every year there are 4.0s in rejection piles. They need a well rounded applicant, so go get those hours and you should have a decent shot! Best of :luck:!

You do have a good gpa and GRE, and like Emiloo said there are frequently 4.0ers on the rejection pile. I know several people that were rejected with 4.0s and over 1000 hours because they didn't have varied experience (only small or only large). You are sitting pretty academically, so you just need to work your bum off this next year to get as much and as varied experience as possible. There is no way to say that 500hrs will get you in or even if 1500 hrs will. It depends on how your app looks and what the adcoms are looking for that year.
I also want to point out that though your psych research will certainly help you stand out, you can't count it as vet experience. I was in a similar boat last year.

I didn't mean you aren't in good shape academically, you are :thumbup:. You came off as a little arrogant to me like you thought you had such awesome academics that you'd get away with just a small amount of vet and animal experience and I wanted to make sure that you realized that that stuff was important too and you need to really work on it to be "comfortably confident" about getting in when you apply. Obviously anything can happen and there are no guarantees, but with a good PS and at least 1,000 vet hours, I'd say you stand a really good chance.

Hah oookay, well, I just wanted to point out that it seemed essentially inconsistent, which is kind of unfair. I didn't mean to sound arrogant, I'm not an arrogant person but I'm also not going to be self-deprecating and act like I have a bad GPA or GRE. I realize there are people who will get better ones and that there are a lot of things admissions committees will take into consideration, I was just trying to explain what I was thinking/hoping and wanted honest opinions, not ones to put me in my place. I think I've gotten the opinions I needed so thank you for your suggestions, I really appreciate the help, and good luck to everyone!

I've been a long time lurker but just recently got an account since I hope to apply this year. Please be as nice as possible :love: and suggestions are much appreciated!

So assuming I have pretty decent veterinary and hands-on animal experience and GRE scores--not stellar or amazing but definitely on the higher end of the spectrum--is there a chance I could get into a U.S. vet school with a 3.1-3.2 GPA from undergrad?

I've seen some pretty awesome GPA's on here, and pretty worried about my chances :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Let us know specifically what your GRE scores were and what your animal/veterinary experiences are. Your GPA is below average so I would try to take some more classes to increase at least your last 45 credit GPA.

So assuming I have pretty decent veterinary and hands-on animal experience and GRE scores--not stellar or amazing but definitely on the higher end of the spectrum--is there a chance I could get into a U.S. vet school with a 3.1-3.2 GPA from undergrad?

Yeah, there is really no way to give you much feedback without your GRE scores and experience, especially with a lower GPA.

I haven't really gotten around to calculating my experience, but I've had vet experience with SA, LA, marine mammals, zoo, and wildlife and animal experience with zoo internships, working at a horse barn, avian, and animal shelters.

My GRE for the old version was 640Q 560V and 4.5AW. This is low actually, and I plan on retaking it and getting a better score.

I've still got some time to improve. What should I work on to get at least an interview with a US vet school?

I haven't really gotten around to calculating my experience, but I've had vet experience with SA, LA, marine mammals, zoo, and wildlife and animal experience with zoo internships, working at a horse barn, avian, and animal shelters.

My GRE for the old version was 640Q 560V and 4.5AW. This is low actually, and I plan on retaking it and getting a better score.

I've still got some time to improve. What should I work on to get at least an interview with a US vet school?

We need at least a range of hours in those areas and that will determine whether we would recommend getting more experience.

You really haven't given people much to work with if you want good advice.

Do you have some really awesome LORs? Was that GPA a cumulative GPA? Pre-req? Last 45 credits? You have variety of experience, but how much overall time? What's your goal? How about community involvement and extracurriculars? What schools interest you?

It's true of everyone to some extent, but to the degree you are less competitive you need to look harder at how schools evaluate candidates so that you can apply to schools where your strengths will work in your favor. For instance, I had a pretty crappy cumulative GPA, but my pre-req and last-45 were 4.0. Applying at UMN worked well for me because they don't look at your cumulative GPA.

My cumulative GPA is 3.12 and science GPA is around 3.2. My last 45 units would probably be around 3.3-3.4.

I haven't sat down to calculate my hours, but these are the rough estimates, more or less: 500 hours with SA vet, 100 hours with LA vet, 300 hours zoo vet, 80 hours marine vet, and 100 hours with wildlife rehab.
Hands-on animal experience: 500+ hours apprentice zookeeper, 100 hours marine mammal keeper, one quarter working in a horse barn, one quarter working in an avian facility, and various animal handling from animal science classes.

I think I will have some strong eLORs from two vets, an animal science professor, and the lead zookeeper I worked under.

Community service and others: member of the pre-vet club in college, volunteer at an animal shelter educating public, teaching art to younger elementary school children, teaching swimming in the summer.

Is there anything else that has to be listed? Now that I've written it out, it doesn't seem like very much :/ haven't really thought about what schools I will apply to, but I would like to stay in the US. Obviously Cornell, Davis, or any top 10 classes will not even blink my direction, but any schools that might possibly give me a chance at an interview at least?

Does anyone know of a way to have someone else take the GRE exam in your place?

Yet again, NO. Responses from this thread and the one you started will be quite similar. There is no way to do it, and it's terrible that you're trying to con your way into vet school.

It's been done before (see link below)... I guess if you want to end up on "60 minutes" you could do it, but seriously, if you can't handle the GRE, how can you handle vet school classes?

Technically, that's the SAT, not GRE. Have you taken the GRE? They look at/scan your actual driver's license...I'd say a DL is much harder to fake than a high school ID.

anyone thinking....:troll:?

also, this should go in the "do's and dont's of applying to vet school" thread!!!! :rolleyes:

22 yo female with a B.S. in Animal Biology received on June 2011 from UC Davis

GPA
- Cumulative- 2.95 ( I know I know, how embarrassing)
GRE
- 1st: 650q, 550v, 4.0 AW
- 2nd: 720q, 480v, 4.5 AW

Veterinary Experience
- Small animal clinic (to present) -1600hrs and counting
- Another small animal clinic that dealt with some large animals- 1600 hrs
- Veterinary mission trip abroad to Honduras (Saw small, large, and exotic animals)- 50 hrs
- Internship at a research center (mainly large animal)- 40 hrs
- Small animal emergency internship- 40 hrs

Animal Experience
- Research laboratory studying diabetes and worked with mice. Could not put under VET experience because did not work directly with a PH.D or a Veterinarian. – 256 hrs
- Volunteered at an animal shelter- 384 hrs.

Other Employment
- Lab dishwasher for a couple of labs as well as did some work with plants – 1920 hrs

Honors
- 3 scholarships during freshman year

Community activity
- Volunteered at a medical hospital
- Part of a Christian fellowship
- Part of a pre-vet club
- A bunch of high school activities- mainly academic in nature.

I guess I’m just looking for some feedback. I already know that my GPA is my biggest drawback. But at 180 units, I really don’t think there’s much I can do about it=( I am considering going to tech school to get my RVT license so that hopefully I’ll be a little bit more competitive. Plus I already kinda do tech work and I really enjoy it. Anyways, I would REALLY appreciate any feedback. This whole process has become really disheartening =0.

Another thing I’m wondering about is that I’ve been working at my current SAH for about 16 months. And while I LOVE my job, I’ve been getting suggestions to quit and get a different type of job to “vary” my experiences. Just want to know what you guys think of that. THANKS! :xf:

Cuabbo- You are right about your gpa being your weakest link. Your experience seems decently varied enough, the only thing missing is exotics, and I'm not sure that would be necessary. Though it wouldn't hurt. Your gre also looks pretty good though your verbal score could be higher. If your last 45 credit hours of undergrad are higher then I think you might be in pretty good shape. Many schools weigh heavily on more recent grades because they think they are a better representation of what you can do in vet school. If you really think that vet school is what you want to do I think getting a masters or taking some more undergrad classes would help you more than getting a tech certification especially if you can get good grades. No offense intended to techs, but it is an associates degree which carries far less weight than a BA or an MA.

Cloudless
While your Gpa (though it does show and upward trend WITH upper division science classes which is great!) and GRE (mine were worse and I got in) are not spectacular I really think your experiences are. There are SO few people that have veterinary aquarium experience! If I were you I would stick to your plan of getting more LA experience in your year off. If being an aquatics vet is what you want then I do worry about you finding a niche in an admitted class because they do seem to accept people based on the positions they need to fill. So I might "market" yourself as someone willing to do exotics as this migh help you get in. I am also not sure if there are schools that are better for this field (maybe FL?). I do highly recommend the year off route as it is so nice to have a year without studies. Good luck next year.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm not sure what I want to focus on (ie aquatics) but I'm leaning toward exotics/zoo/wildlife--just not small animal exclusively. Of course I have no equine, LA, or wildlife experience, so that could change.

Since I do not have enough anxiety as is...here is myself as best displayed on a forum thread...

Graduated in Dec 2010 with a B.S. in Laboratory Animal Science from North Carolina A&T University

GPA: 3.74
Science GPA: 3.8
Last 45 GPA: 3.74
GRE: 480 (v), 640 (Q), 4.0 AW (Only taken once...moved twice and had to reschedule...yadda yadda, I know its low!)

Veterinary Experience:
200 Neuroelectrophysiology Laboratory w/ PhD
360 Small animal medicine
640 Laboratory Animal (and growing...since I currently work now)
30 Research Animals (Honors project)
800 Exotic

Animal Experience:
140 Exotic
500 Small animal husbandry (dog kennel, animal rescue, animal shelters)

Typical honors, awards, clubs...nothing outstanding...I had GREAT letters of recommendation...I feel like I am pretty average in grades and experience (I like to think its pretty varied though...I have done a little of everything) and a low GRE but not shockingly low. I also realized I needed to keep MUCH better records of my experiences...I am terrible about keeping track and I am afraid I may have missed hours because I assumed on the way lower end, I could not stomach to exaggerate when I truly could not remember : /

My cumulative GPA is 3.12 and science GPA is around 3.2. My last 45 units would probably be around 3.3-3.4.

That's much more complete info. Your experience is reasonable; don't feel bad about it. You won't have the thousands that some people do, but you have 'enough'. You have more than I did, and with better variety.

Have some confidence: your "no top 10 schools" comment needs to get the heck out of dodge. My school is (technically, barely) a top-10 school, and they took me. ;) (And those rankings are nonsense for the most part, anyway.)

Your biggest issue right now is clearly the GPA. If there's anything you can do to increase it, do so. Otherwise, start looking for the schools that look at GPAs in a way that is most favorable for you.

G'luck!!

That's much more complete info. Your experience is reasonable; don't feel bad about it. You won't have the thousands that some people do, but you have 'enough'. You have more than I did, and with better variety.

Have some confidence: your "no top 10 schools" comment needs to get the heck out of dodge. My school is (technically, barely) a top-10 school, and they took me. ;) (And those rankings are nonsense for the most part, anyway.)

Your biggest issue right now is clearly the GPA. If there's anything you can do to increase it, do so. Otherwise, start looking for the schools that look at GPAs in a way that is most favorable for you.

G'luck!!

Thanks! You gave me a shimmer of hope hahaha. I have already graduated and cannot afford to pursue a masters program AND vet school. What are some schools that don't hold GPA in high regards?

Thanks! You gave me a shimmer of hope hahaha. I have already graduated and cannot afford to pursue a masters program AND vet school. What are some schools that don't hold GPA in high regards?

Personally I would focus on raising your GRE more! I have a lower GPA than you, but a higher GRE and I have 4 interviews so far this cycle... just my opinion...

Personally I would focus on raising your GRE more! I have a lower GPA than you, but a higher GRE and I have 4 interviews so far this cycle... just my opinion...

Oh nice! I have a 640Q 560V and 4.5AW and I'm working hard to bring these scores into the 700s. In terms of experience, are there any suggestions? I'm sure that although you have a lower GPA, your last 45 units were amazing or you have thousands of hours of experience?

Oh nice! I have a 640Q 560V and 4.5AW and I'm working hard to bring these scores into the 700s. In terms of experience, are there any suggestions? I'm sure that although you have a lower GPA, your last 45 units were amazing or you have thousands of hours of experience?

I'm sorry, I was looking at a different person's stats :laugh:. Your GRE is higher than I was talking about, but it never hurts to improve. My GPA is a 3.6 and my last 45 (depending on the school) was around a 3.8 I think, and I do have many many hours. Sorry for confusing your stats with someone else :oops:
Experience in different areas (small, large, food, exotics, etc) is something they like to see which it looks like you've started to do. You definitely want to work on your GPA though! Best of luck to you!:luck:

What are some suggestions for people that have low GPAs, finished with undergrad, and cannot afford to do a masters program to raise their GPA? Would getting more hours of experience, high gre scores, having good eLORs, and a super personal statement be enough?

I feel like it takes a lot more to compensate for low GPAs than anything else...:(

I feel like it takes a lot more to compensate for low GPAs than anything else...:(

From the school's perspective that probably makes sense. After all, first and foremost, they want you to survive a four-year academic program.

Emiloo might be right about the GRE - I don't know. I know that at UMN the GRE is weighted exactly the same as the two GPAs that they calculate, so it would be worthwhile to improve it if you were applying here. But I am not up to speed on other schools.

More experience is always good, but you have some pretty neat stuff in there already. In your case, since you seem to have a fair bit of variety, you might try just building hours in one specific area.

In the end, just do your best and go for it. None of us here are on admissions committees, so you have to take this all with a grain of salt. But if it were me I'd focus on your GRE and getting more experience, based on what you've said.

And that assumes you're going to write an awesome PS and have great LORs (especially the vet LOR(s)).

Hi everyone,

I am a Canadian pre-veterinary student attending the University of Calgary. I was hoping some of you would be able too give me some input based on my current grades at what my chances are at being admitted and which school in the United States would be good options for me to apply to (because I am unfamiliar with the schools south of the border).

3rd year BSc (major Zoology)
GPA: 3.156 (current)
4+ years experience at two small animal clinic (2007-current at one location and 2010-current at another location)
1 year experience as volunteer at the Humane Society
3 years experience volunteer ringette coach
15+ years in extra curricular sports

I also just recently (as in this evening) withdrew from a course 1 week after the drop date so I have received my first (and I will make it my only) W on my transcript. I dropped it for the reason that I did not need it and was more interested in focusing on my 4 other courses and achieving high grades in order to increase my GPA.

With the recent W on my transcript, I was hoping someone could share some input as to how this will be viewed, what my overall chances are, where I should improve etc.

Currently, I only have an application submitted to the U of Calgary DVM program but if this year's interview does not earn me a spot in the upcoming class, I was planning on applying to U of Calgary, U of Saskatoon and hopefully, with some suggestions, to some schools in the United States.

Thanks everyone!

I was looking to get some opinions on getting more experience. My current veterinary hours include 700 hours small animal/exotics (which will continue to increase), 1500 hours wildlife (again, will increase), I should be getting some zoo experience this semester/summer which would probably amount to 100-200 hours. I also have about 1000 hours equine experience, but that's from riding, not veterinary. Since I'm applying this fall I feel like I should prioritize what other kind(s) of experience I should try for. Any suggestions as to where I should focus my search?

I was looking to get some opinions on getting more experience. My current veterinary hours include 700 hours small animal/exotics (which will continue to increase), 1500 hours wildlife (again, will increase), I should be getting some zoo experience this semester/summer which would probably amount to 100-200 hours. I also have about 1000 hours equine experience, but that's from riding, not veterinary. Since I'm applying this fall I feel like I should prioritize what other kind(s) of experience I should try for. Any suggestions as to where I should focus my search?

The first, most important point, is that you're sitting pretty nicely with experience.

The answer is ... no answer. :) People here seem to generally agree that schools look at experience differently: some want a broader range, and some want to see lots of hours in your area of interest. I have no idea if it's true that individual schools focus that tightly on wanting it one way or the other, but a lot of people will tell you they do. If that's correct, then it really depends on where you're applying and what your area of interest is.

All of that mumbo jumbo aside ... if it were me I would split your effort 50/50 between whatever your area of interest is, and getting some large/production animal experience.

GRE: First try: 610V, 570Q, 4.5AW
Second try (eighteen days later--lots of math studying!): 580V, 690Q, 4.5AW

You'll want to double check this, but on the ETS website it says any scores within 60 days of a previous test (30 days for the old test) will be discarded form your record and no refund will be given. You'll want to be sure that schools actually recieved your improved score.

The old test was once a month. So, if it was Jan 31st and then Feb 4th, that was okay, so long as it wasn't the same calendar month.

Now, I have no idea with the new test...

Do they really go off of this for a large part of the decision at MSU? My SIS score was 957.3, so it looks like that is a good school for me to apply to? I was thinking of applying there. I love that they have a wildlife treatment center built right into the college, plus the class size is a little smaller than Ohio's. I also like that there is no interview there :). Downside is that it is almost double the price since I'll be out of state. But if I get in there and not Ohio, I'd consider taking on the cost.

Anyone know anything about Wisconsin? They don't interview either and their class size is smaller. My GPA is awesome (3.99), I got a 1280 on the GRE and I now have halfway decent Vet experience hours: 400 at a small animal clinic, 50 with a traveling small animal and will have 10 with an equine vet center. Hoping to have about 700 hours total at the time of application since I work at the small animal clinic. In addition to the vet experience, I have over 6000 hours animal experience as a wildlife rehabber (I started my own non-profit called Born To Be Wild- Widllife Rescue & Rehabilitation, Inc.). Wildlife rehab is what has drawn me to wanting to be a vet. My dream is to one day have my own small animal clinic- possibly emergency clinic and wildlife center (like side by side). I know that is probably close to impossible, but wildlife will always be a huge part of my life, nothing can take that and I would like to be able to be with my wildlife all the time, so if I had a clinic with a wildlife center as part of it, I could do both things that I love. Is that realistic, probably not, but one can dream right :).

I know what I really need to be working on is my PS, I have a semidecent draft going, but it is lacking in a lot of ways and doesn't give a complete picture of me and why I want to be a vet and barely even touches on what I want to do as a vet. I have been so distracted by everything here and the application itself, that I haven't been working on the PS. Plus 33 baby creatures and working doesn't leave too much time for it, but I am going to work on it soon.

Sorry to ramble. Does anyone have like a breakdown of which schools are easier to get into for those that have awesome GPA and decent GRE and not tons of vet experience? A list of schools that weigh experience hours more heavilly than GPAs and GREs would probably be helpful to some other applicants as well. It is kinda hard to tell from most school's websites what exactly they look at for who to accept and most schools admitted profiles don't list the experience hours :(.

I wish we could meet and go to Wisconsin together. I want the same thing. I love wildlife and want to become a wildlife vet but i also want my own small animal clinic one day. My GPA is not that great and i do not have much experience so im sure i am going to have to work on that but you sound like an excellent candidate from your wildlife rehab program, high GPA, GREs, and animal experience. If you do not mind can you pm me with how you started it.

Hi everyone,

I am a Canadian pre-veterinary student attending the University of Calgary. I was hoping some of you would be able too give me some input based on my current grades at what my chances are at being admitted and which school in the United States would be good options for me to apply to (because I am unfamiliar with the schools south of the border).

3rd year BSc (major Zoology)
GPA: 3.156 (current)
4+ years experience at two small animal clinic (2007-current at one location and 2010-current at another location)
1 year experience as volunteer at the Humane Society
3 years experience volunteer ringette coach
15+ years in extra curricular sports

I also just recently (as in this evening) withdrew from a course 1 week after the drop date so I have received my first (and I will make it my only) W on my transcript. I dropped it for the reason that I did not need it and was more interested in focusing on my 4 other courses and achieving high grades in order to increase my GPA.

With the recent W on my transcript, I was hoping someone could share some input as to how this will be viewed, what my overall chances are, where I should improve etc.

Currently, I only have an application submitted to the U of Calgary DVM program but if this year's interview does not earn me a spot in the upcoming class, I was planning on applying to U of Calgary, U of Saskatoon and hopefully, with some suggestions, to some schools in the United States.

Thanks everyone!

Hello! I also applied to WCVM this year, although I'm not an Alberta resident. It really depends on the applicant pool at the time you apply. There is a lot of competition for only 20 spots. I envy you Alberta residents having two Canadian schools to apply to! I'm currently researching US schools as well. The few that I've looked at seem to require completely different pre-req courses that I prefer not to take, but may need to if plan A doesn't work out. Not to mention taking the GRE....

Advice on next step?

Just got accepted into TFA (teach for america) to teach science at a highschool for 2 years, great opportunity since I love science and teaching and an opportunity to save money, but also a long commitment not really related to being a veterinarian.

Or should I apply to masters programs in biology (I prefer ecology, but maybe general bio or micro?).
Or should I simply work for a year to up my vet experience and get a great eLOR from a vet?

Also still planning on taking speech and nutrition. Would love to attend Davis, Kansas, Minnesota, or even internationally like Edinburgh/Glasgow/RVC. Dream school though is Tufts for their DVM/MPH program or their wildlife specialization program.

-Note, not interested in being a small animal veterinarian. Prefer wildlife/conservation/international with a research/government angle. That's why I'm thinking a masters program is good for me, since I genuinely want to use my veterinary degree towards a future in research.

Stats
22 years old, california resident, multi-ethnic (1/4 native american)
BS Biology, BA French from a UC

Cumulative GPA: 3.4
Last 45 Credit Hours: 3.8 (mainly finishing French major though)
Science GPA: 3.3 (never got a grade below a C, so can't retake any classes, got A's in some bio/physics/ochem/gchem as well as in labs though, mainly B's I suppose though in bio.
GRE: 1200 - 540V, 660Q, 5.0W (without studying and I need to retake, my uncle died suddenly a week before, should have cancelled my appointment)

Vet experience (all in high school)
800 hours small animal experience
550 hours wildlife hospital

Animal Experience
200 hours at a zoo in progress
80 hours therapeutic riding center
100 hours on a wildlife conservation project in Costa Rica while learning Spanish
2000 hours research involving mice ( I spent 25 hours a week here, main reason for low GPA, but love it)

Extracurricular/Miscellanious
President of Pre-Vet club
Religious club affiliation ( member 5 years)
Piano/Dance/Soccer (15 years)
University Club Lacrosse (Two years, no NCAA level available at my university)
French Club
Interned teaching honors MUN students for a year

eLORS
1: PI at Research (he's famous if that helps at all, been on 60 minutes and 20/20)
2: Ecology/Physiology Professor
3: Veterinarian (could ask one from high school but am trying to find a recent one)
4: Supervisor at work known for 4+ years

Employment not related to animals - consumed about 15 - 25 hours a week
University representative/tour guide (4 years)
Student Ambassador for the office of admissions and another program (3 years)
(Basically due to my work I'm really good at public speaking and working with students)

Awards/Honors
Deans Honors List (9 times)
Undergraduate Research Fellowship with grant, gave a oral and poster presentation at a symposium
AP Scholar with Distinction
Volunteer award for work at Children's Hospital presented by Senator Barbara Boxer

psidhu,
I think that if your goal is to get into vet school sooner rather than later, then your best bet is to to a master's program and ROCK those upper division science classes. It sounds like you don't have a ton of A's in Bio classes. As somone who also never got a C and was still denied my first year applying I think that proving that you can hack the vet school curiculum will do you the best. Retaking the GRE (I'm sorry about your uncle :() will also help counter your slightly below average gpa. If you don't care when you go to vet school and want a break from school then by all means do the teaching program, but don't think that you need this to stand out as you have many other things that will help you stand apart.

Also have you looked at other schools that have combined DVM/phd programs such as CSU, Cornell, and North Carolina?

psidhu,

After skimming your stats, I would say your biggest "problem" is that all of your vet experience dates back to high school. While this will still count on your apps, you'll want to get more recent experience - for your application (personal statement fodder, etc.), but also so you can confirm for yourself that your high school dream is still worth the sacrifice.

Good luck!

psidhu,

After skimming your stats, I would say your biggest "problem" is that all of your vet experience dates back to high school. While this will still count on your apps, you'll want to get more recent experience - for your application (personal statement fodder, etc.), but also so you can confirm for yourself that your high school dream is still worth the sacrifice.

Good luck!

I noticed this "problem" also and it really jumped out at me, but I wonder who was supervising for the research using mice. I feel like every time this discussion comes up, it's non-conclusive, but, psidhu, I'd recommend making sure you really can't consider that as veterinary experience (under health professional--I'm sure it depends on what your lab studies and your PI's background) or at least use that to get more veterinary research experience or time with a lab animal vet, just to focus your veterinary experience in with your research interests.

Thanks for the feedback! You guys basically confirmed what I've been thinking. I'm leaning towards applying to masters programs at the end of this year, because I know I have the ability to ace classes, but I was just too involved with my extracurriculars during undergrad. Until then I'm going to focus on building up hours with a vet (most likely small animal cause its more available). I've considered talking to the head vet at my school who is in charge of monitoring the lab animals as well, but its doubtful he does any work with students, plus I'm graduating soon. And in the future I'm going to consider all the DVM/MPH programs, but I just like how Tufts has a special focus available on wildlife. Oh and just fyi the research work was monitored by my PI (who has a PhD in zoology/neurobiology and teaches med school students) as well as my grad student. I assisted on surgeries a lot and did a lot of non-animal work as well in the lab. But I'm aware it only counts as animal experience, not veteriary experience :) Thanks again guys and best of luck to everyone!

Thanks for the feedback! You guys basically confirmed what I've been thinking. I'm leaning towards applying to masters programs at the end of this year, because I know I have the ability to ace classes, but I was just too involved with my extracurriculars during undergrad. Until then I'm going to focus on building up hours with a vet (most likely small animal cause its more available). I've considered talking to the head vet at my school who is in charge of monitoring the lab animals as well, but its doubtful he does any work with students, plus I'm graduating soon. And in the future I'm going to consider all the DVM/MPH programs, but I just like how Tufts has a special focus available on wildlife. Oh and just fyi the research work was monitored by my PI (who has a PhD in zoology/neurobiology and teaches med school students) as well as my grad student. I assisted on surgeries a lot and did a lot of non-animal work as well in the lab. But I'm aware it only counts as animal experience, not veteriary experience :) Thanks again guys and best of luck to everyone!

Depending on what schools you apply to, the research could very well be regarded as veterinary experience. At my in-state it would be. Mileage varies, of course. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.