This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are they really? They accepted someone I know this past cycle with a 2.8, and she had sub-par veterinary experience as well. Not sure about too many other of her details, though. It seemed to me like one of the schools that accepts lower GPAs, also based on some other accepted stats from last cycle. If they really are heavy on grades though, I'd probably take them off my own list...

Yeah, I've seen someone else in here who got in with a 3.0.

So I just wrote the GRE, 155 verbal and 142 quant. Super disappointed with my math score...I totally froze up and second guessed myself on so many questions. Opinions on whether I should write it again? I am applying to Edinburgh, Dublin and Ross. Not sure how heavily they weigh the GRE scoring, any advice on that would be greatly appreciated. Really don't want to spend another $200. My GPA is cumulative 3.0 and last 45 will be around 3.7-3.9.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not going to post all of my stats, because I only need "what are my chances?" advice on my experience, for now. As far as GPA, I have a 3.4 and have been steadily rising since my rough 1st semester freshman year. As far as my experience predicament..

I know it's hard for anyone to get veterinary experience, but I've been having a really hard time finding some. I have about 140 hours in SA/shelter med right now, and have an externship lined up this fall for about 80 hours in equine. That being said, I will be abroad in the Spring and not as easily be able to get experience, then application time comes. Noticing my trend in low veterinary experience, I tried to get a variety of experience. I have 180 hours in SA shelter, and am wracking up 400 hours this summer in wildlife rehab.

My question is, if i somehow (god forbid) cannot get any more vet experience before application time, will my variety of vet + animal (SA, LA, wildlife, shelter) be enough to make up for my low amount of vet experience?

Are they really? They accepted someone I know this past cycle with a 2.8, and she had sub-par veterinary experience as well. Not sure about too many other of her details, though. It seemed to me like one of the schools that accepts lower GPAs, also based on some other accepted stats from last cycle. If they really are heavy on grades though, I'd probably take them off my own list...

Back when I applied, yes. Maybe they're changing their policies or the admissions "climate" is changing with the new accredited schools?

I'm not going to post all of my stats, because I only need "what are my chances?" advice on my experience, for now. As far as GPA, I have a 3.4 and have been steadily rising since my rough 1st semester freshman year. As far as my experience predicament..

I know it's hard for anyone to get veterinary experience, but I've been having a really hard time finding some. I have about 140 hours in SA/shelter med right now, and have an externship lined up this fall for about 80 hours in equine. That being said, I will be abroad in the Spring and not as easily be able to get experience, then application time comes. Noticing my trend in low veterinary experience, I tried to get a variety of experience. I have 180 hours in SA shelter, and am wracking up 400 hours this summer in wildlife rehab.

My question is, if i somehow (god forbid) cannot get any more vet experience before application time, will my variety of vet + animal (SA, LA, wildlife, shelter) be enough to make up for my low amount of vet experience?

With your GPA, it's definitely a risk. I'm more concerned if your shelter and wildlife rehab will count as veterinary or just animal. If the latter, I would really work to get more veterinary and/or consider taking a gap year to get more under your belt before applying. Not saying you absolutely cannot be successful with those numbers, just that with your middle of the road GPA, it's going to be a hindrance.

So I really need some advice on something that has caused me a lot of stress! I am having a hard time deciding if I re-take the GRE. I recently took it and bombed, and I mean BOMBED the math section. I blanked on every question, math "puzzles" have never been my strong point. I scored 142 math and 155 verbal, still waiting on my writing score. Should I bother re-taking it even though I am pretty sure my math score will not be much better the second time around and I could do worse on the verbal. Anyone have experience with it going up drastically???

If my GPA was higher I wouldn't worry about it, but I am a non-traditional applicant having returned to school. I started a business with my Mom and Aunt in 2012 and I worked almost full-time during my undergrad. My cumulative GPA is 3.0, science is 3.2, last 45 is 3.22 BUT my most recent semester upon returning to school, of all science courses was a 3.7 and my approaching fall semester should be the same or higher. I am a Canadian student, applying to Ross, Edinburgh, Dublin and Glascow.

Anyways, any advice or anyone that has had a similar experience, your input would be much appreciated!

So I really need some advice on something that has caused me a lot of stress! I am having a hard time deciding if I re-take the GRE. I recently took it and bombed, and I mean BOMBED the math section. I blanked on every question, math "puzzles" have never been my strong point. I scored 142 math and 155 verbal, still waiting on my writing score. Should I bother re-taking it even though I am pretty sure my math score will not be much better the second time around and I could do worse on the verbal. Anyone have experience with it going up drastically???

If my GPA was higher I wouldn't worry about it, but I am a non-traditional applicant having returned to school. I started a business with my Mom and Aunt in 2012 and I worked almost full-time during my undergrad. My cumulative GPA is 3.0, science is 3.2, last 45 is 3.22 BUT my most recent semester upon returning to school, of all science courses was a 3.7 and my approaching fall semester should be the same or higher. I am a Canadian student, applying to Ross, Edinburgh, Dublin and Glascow.

Anyways, any advice or anyone that has had a similar experience, your input would be much appreciated!
I can't say I have a similar experience, but I've heard many people say those test prep programs really work (like magoosh?) Also, as a Canadian, why aren't you applying to your provence school? I know your GPA is a little low, but the financial savings is really worth at least trying.

I can't say I have a similar experience, but I've heard many people say those test prep programs really work (like magoosh?) Also, as a Canadian, why aren't you applying to your provence school? I know your GPA is a little low, but the financial savings is really worth at least trying.

Oh trust me I am applying to my in province school! Those schools are my back ups, because my chances of getting into my provincial school are slim to none. But I am going to try :)

I am planning on applying for the first time next summer (summer 2017) but would really like some advice.

Graduated with a B.S. in Biology
Cum GPA: 3.06
Science: 3.06
yes I know they are low! advice needed!
Currently, I am using this year to retake the prereqs I struggled in and work close to full time as a vet assistant at a small animal clinic. The classes I'm retaking include gen chem 1 & 2 (previous grades - B- , C+), organic 1 & 2 (C+, D+), genetics (C+), Anatomy & Physiology II (C).
I am hoping to really up my prereq GPA and last 45 GPA.

Here is my previous experience:
Research Experience:
-maintained and cared for our fruit fly colonies and poison frogs.
-researched the dietary relationship between carotenoid levels and color in bufonid poison frogs
-conducted an experiment to understand alkaloid detection in dendrobatid frogs
- examined the antimicrobial properties of alkaloids in the dendrobatid frog Oophaga pumilio from Costa Rica
- presented research (Variation in alkaloid-based microbial defenses of the dendrobatid poison frog Oophaga pumilio) at the 5th Annual OU/JCU symposium in Athens, OH
- Co-Author on a published research article in Chemoecology
Mina, A.E., Ponti, A.K., Woodcraft, N.L., Johnson, E.E., and Saporito R.A. (2015)
Variation in alkaloid-based microbial defenses of the dendrobatid poison frog Oophaga pumilio. Chemoecology 25: 169-178
*Fall 2013- Spring 2016 – total of 1,250.5 hours

Animal Experience:
-Columbus Zoo & Aquarium Animal Care Internship (May 21st – August 5th, 2014)
368 hours – animal husbandry, enrichment project, animal behavior
-Volunteer at Brook Park Animal Shelter (ASPCA Shelter) – 20 hours
-Volunteer at Cuyahoga County Animal Shelter – 20 hours
-Pet Ownership my whole life - four dogs, one cat, fish, and turtles
-Pet sitting - years of pet sitting neighbors, co-workers, and friends pets – dogs, cats, guinea pigs

Veterinary Experience:
-Shadowed Dr. Daas at Greenmount Veterinary Hospital – Small Animal – 35 hours (2012)
-Rotated shadowing three doctors at Lyndhurst Animal Clinic – Small Animal – 200 hours (August 15th 2014- March 30th 2015)
- Hired as Veterinary Assistant at Lyndhurst Animal Clinic on March 30th, 2015 – present
- Currently have worked about 522 hours of paid work as of today

Extracurricular Activities:
-Member of Awws for Paws Club 2014- 2016 (University Club centered on Animal Welfare and promoting animal adoption)
- High School Cross Country and Track teams all four years (2008-2012)
- John Carroll University Cross Country team one year (Fall 2012
-Worked at local candy store as cashier and candy maker (2011-2014)
- Deans List Sophomore year in college

I am currently taking a GRE prep class in person to help prepare me for taking the GRE for the first time in November 2016.

any advice you all can provide on improving grades, getting more experience or anything will be greatly appreciated!!! :D

With your GPA, it's definitely a risk. I'm more concerned if your shelter and wildlife rehab will count as veterinary or just animal. If the latter, I would really work to get more veterinary and/or consider taking a gap year to get more under your belt before applying. Not saying you absolutely cannot be successful with those numbers, just that with your middle of the road GPA, it's going to be a hindrance.
Thanks for the reply!:happy:

My shelter experience was 4 weeks working in the shelter clinic doing tech duties under the supervision of a veterinarian, so that does count. But my wildlife rehab experience for sure doesn't, because it's under the supervision of a licensed wildlife rehabilitator, not a DVM. So I know that's animal experience, but I'm hoping that since it's a good variety it'll count for something for me having lower vet hours. That being said, I do have other varied animal experience as well. My GPA has been a 3.65 since that low freshman year, so hopefully I can get it up to about 3.6-3.7 by application time. I'm also studying a TON this summer for the GRE (taking in September) to help. I hope it's enough... I really don't wanna take a gap year. But obviously I will if needed.

Reactions: 1 user

My shelter experience was 4 weeks working in the shelter clinic doing tech duties under the supervision of a veterinarian, so that does count. But my wildlife rehab experience for sure doesn't, because it's under the supervision of a licensed wildlife rehabilitator, not a DVM. So I know that's animal experience, but I'm hoping that since it's a good variety it'll count for something for me having lower vet hours. That being said, I do have other varied animal experience as well. My GPA has been a 3.65 since that low freshman year, so hopefully I can get it up to about 3.6-3.7 by application time. I'm also studying a TON this summer for the GRE (taking in September) to help. I hope it's enough... I really don't wanna take a gap year. But obviously I will if needed.

Doesn't hurt to apply at this point. Make sure to have a bunch of people read over your PS and get some excellent letters of rec. Best of luck :luck:

are you planning on applying this cycle? If so I think september will be too late to take the GRE

Members don't see this ad :)
Currently, I am using this year to retake the prereqs I struggled in and work close to full time as a vet assistant at a small animal clinic. The classes I'm retaking include gen chem 1 & 2 (previous grades - B- , C+), organic 1 & 2 (C+, D+), genetics (C+), Anatomy & Physiology II (C).
I am hoping to really up my prereq GPA and last 45 GPA.

Your plan to retake C or lower is spot-on. However, I would be extremely careful with adding a near-full time job to the mix with so much riding on your grades. I understand if you have to work in order to support yourself, but I really encourage you to find as much time as you can to devote to the classes. Just because super-hero students work five jobs and take fifteen classes (etc) doesn't mean that's what you should be doing if you can at all avoid it. Your best shot now will be schools that like a strong last-45 and you want to be able to spin that narrative with strong grades. Getting more veterinary experience hours will not outweigh a 3.0 GPA alone.

As for animal experience, you'll have to tread carefully with pet ownership - many (most?) schools do not count those hours. The research hours are awesome.

Doesn't hurt to apply at this point. Make sure to have a bunch of people read over your PS and get some excellent letters of rec. Best of luck :luck:

Thanks! Also like your username, considering I'm also a fellow redhead:cat:

are you planning on applying this cycle? If so I think september will be too late to take the GRE

No, I'm applying next cycle. Only a junior in the Fall, I just won't have as much time or dedication next summer to study for it, so I decided to take it this year and resend scores to any schools that need it, come application time.

Your plan to retake C or lower is spot-on. However, I would be extremely careful with adding a near-full time job to the mix with so much riding on your grades. I understand if you have to work in order to support yourself, but I really encourage you to find as much time as you can to devote to the classes. Just because super-hero students work five jobs and take fifteen classes (etc) doesn't mean that's what you should be doing if you can at all avoid it. Your best shot now will be schools that like a strong last-45 and you want to be able to spin that narrative with strong grades. Getting more veterinary experience hours will not outweigh a 3.0 GPA alone.

As for animal experience, you'll have to tread carefully with pet ownership - many (most?) schools do not count those hours. The research hours are awesome.

Thanks for the advice!! In addition to taking the pre-reqs I struggled in, do you think it is a good idea to take additional science courses I believe I can do well in in order to help boost my last 45 GPA?
I wish there was a way around working over 30 hours a week and going to school at night but there's no way I could afford it. :( I struggled with that in college too.

Also, I wasn't positive what to do with pet ownership hours. I've seen some others on here include it and some not so I just put that for now. Thanks again!

One more question, does anyone know if OSU replaces the new grade of a repeated course or averages them together? I've been seeing mixed answers!

Hi everyone

Applying to the University of Sydney DVM

GPA: 3.2

Work experience: 5 years working in small animal clinics

Volunteering: Local humane society
Outreach clinic for homeless pet owners
Foal watch program at the Ontario Veterinary College
Spay and neuter clinic in a remote first nations community

I'm hoping my experience will give a boost on my application. I don't have a lot of variety, but I know that I want to go into small animal practice.

Thanks for the advice!! In addition to taking the pre-reqs I struggled in, do you think it is a good idea to take additional science courses I believe I can do well in in order to help boost my last 45 GPA?
I wish there was a way around working over 30 hours a week and going to school at night but there's no way I could afford it. :( I struggled with that in college too.

Also, I wasn't positive what to do with pet ownership hours. I've seen some others on here include it and some not so I just put that for now. Thanks again!

One more question, does anyone know if OSU replaces the new grade of a repeated course or averages them together? I've been seeing mixed answers!

Would be a good idea to take upper level sciences and get As - shows you can handle the tough courses now in addition to the retaken pre-reqs.

Don't know anything about OkSU or The OSU - you can always contant their admissions department :)

Hey there! I've posted on this forum several times, so I won't give a long background, but essentially I have a less than stellar GPA, primarily due to 1. Chemistry and 2. Dealing with my fairly severe depression and anxiety issues. I have one more year of undergrad, and I plan on taking a few years off before applying to vet school to take a few pre-reqs, higher level science courses, study hard for the GRE, and get my mental health issues to a more manageable level. I'm also trying to get as much experience as possible, and still try to be "well-rounded." So I'm going to post what I have so far, and I would love some feedback on where I can improve. I'm also not sure if I should or how I should list some of these. Thanks!

Veterinary Experience:

Shadowed at a few different SA hospitals in high school: ~15 hours

Shadowed with a LA veterinarian in high school: ~30 hours

Working at a SA/LA/Exotic hospital: ~1,350 hours and counting

Worked at a low-cost clinic: ~65 hours

Internship at an equine clinic: 150 hours

Working occasionally as a USEF testing technician: ~20 hours so far

Animal Experience:

Pet ownership: owned dogs, cats, livestock, and exotics my whole life

Petsitting/farmsitting since I was 9 years old

A ton of experience working with/showing livestock and educating both kids and adults about agriculture through 4-H when I was in high school (did that for about six years, was Reporter for 2 terms, VP and President each for one term)

Worked at a pet store for 3 years, not sure how many hours

Working at a horse farm: ~30 hours so far

Working as a mouse caretaker in the biology department: ~37 hours so far

Other Work Experience

Assisting the secretary of Copley Science center: ~50 hours

Research Experience:

Research with Biology professor on the effect knocking out GPR56 has on the fertility of mice: 90 hours so far

Associate member of Beta Beta Beta, Biology honor society

Member/Vice President of Fellowship (for 3 semesters) of Alpha Phi Omega - Theta Omega Chapter

Member of Pre-Health Society

President of IRIS (photography and film club)

Member of Young Democrats

Member of Macon Outdoors

Other:

4-H All-Star

Pet First Aid and CPR certified

Beef Quality Assurance certified (as of 7/17/16)

Hey there! I've posted on this forum several times, so I won't give a long background, but essentially I have a less than stellar GPA, primarily due to 1. Chemistry and 2. Dealing with my fairly severe depression and anxiety issues. I have one more year of undergrad, and I plan on taking a few years off before applying to vet school to take a few pre-reqs, higher level science courses, study hard for the GRE, and get my mental health issues to a more manageable level. I'm also trying to get as much experience as possible, and still try to be "well-rounded." So I'm going to post what I have so far, and I would love some feedback on where I can improve. I'm also not sure if I should or how I should list some of these. Thanks!

Veterinary Experience:

Animal Experience:

A ton of experience working with/showing livestock and educating both kids and adults about agriculture through 4-H when I was in high school (did that for about six years, was Reporter for 2 terms, VP and President each for one term)

Other Work Experience

Research Experience:

Research with Biology professor on the effect knocking out GPR56 has on the fertility of mice: 90 hours so far

Member/Vice President of Fellowship (for 3 semesters) of Alpha Phi Omega - Theta Omega Chapter

Member of Macon Outdoors

Other:

4-H All-Star

Honestly, I think you have a nice variety of experiences and a good number of hours already. I don't know what your GPA is, but at this point I would focus entirely on coursework to bring up your cumulative and have a stellar last 45. You could always extend your UG time to make that happen in the last year or two.

Honestly, I think you have a nice variety of experiences and a good number of hours already. I don't know what your GPA is, but at this point I would focus entirely on coursework to bring up your cumulative and have a stellar last 45. You could always extend your UG time to make that happen in the last year or two.

Trust me, I would LOVE to only focus on coursework, but unfortunately I would have to live in a cardboard box if I did that lol. I feel pretty confident in my ability to do well in the courses I'm taking for my last year, thank goodness. Plus I'll be taking at least four more classes once I graduate.

Trust me, I would LOVE to only focus on coursework, but unfortunately I would have to live in a cardboard box if I did that lol. I feel pretty confident in my ability to do well in the courses I'm taking for my last year, thank goodness. Plus I'll be taking at least four more classes once I graduate.
I think what redhead is saying is you may want to, as she said, extend you UG time to allow you to focus on your coursework, so you can work and still bring your grades up. Take fewer classes at a time rather than overextending yourself, and don't do more outside of classes than you need to for now. Then you can focus on experiences after you graduate. It is usually more cost effective to do class work while you are a degree-seeking student so getting as much of that done as you can before you graduate (rather than waiting until after to take higher level courses and pre-reqs) may be a better idea if you can manage it.

Hi all, I'm new here even though I have read through several threads over the past several years.

My info:
  • Female
  • 3rd time applicant
  • I have a BS in Animal Sciences with three minors (Zoology, Chemistry, and Fisheries and Wildlife). I also have a MS in Veterinary Medical Sciences. I don't know how to breakdown my GPA anymore because of my MS, but my cGPA for my BS was 3.35 and my cGPA for my MS is 3.30.
  • GRE highest score: 154 V/160Q/4.5AW

Veterinary Experience (in order of most current to least current):
  • Currently employed at a mixed animal veterinary clinic(we see everything that fits in the door, cats, dogs, ferrets, skunks, raccoons, foxes, birds, rodents, ferrets, reptiles, goats, pigs, etc.) for approximately 1 year. I work 25-35 hours a week. Total hours at 9/15 will be approximately 1,500 hours.
  • Employed temporarily at UFCVM as an assistant in the ICU/PCW. 20 hours a week for about 3 months. Approximately 250 hours.
  • Volunteered for a veterinary clinic for about 2 years, 10 hours a week. Approximately 1,000 hours.
  • Volunteered for OSU LAH for about 1 year, 6 hours a week. Approximately 300 hours.
Animal Experience (same order):
  • Co-owner of a small farm/ranch. We have been working on it for about 2 years, and have dairy goats, pigs, a ton of chickens, ducks, and emu. We are expanding to have sheep, turkeys, geese, guinea fowl, quail, and rabbits in the next year. 5 year goals are to have cows and alpacas.
  • Employed full time at a pet rescue temporarily for 2 months, approximately 300 hours.
  • Employed full time at a boarding kennel for 6 months, approximately 1,000 hours. (Left after injuring my back.)
  • Volunteered with a large animal sanctuary with big cats, bears, monkeys, etc. for about 6 months, approximately 250 hours.
  • Unpaid shift manager of a wildlife center on Mondays for about 3 years, approximately 750 hours.
  • Volunteered as a farm helper on a goat farm for about 6 months, approximately 250 hours.
  • Volunteered at a shelter for 2 years, approximately 750 hours.
  • Trained for 1 year with a master falconer, approximately 500 hours.
Other Experience:
  • Employed for 2 years during undergrad as a dining center worker. Approximately 2,000 hours.
  • Part of PVMA at my undergrad college for 3 years, served as an officer for 2 of the years (Activities Coordinator and President).
  • In a small ruminant club where I got my first hands on experience with sheep and goats for about 9 months, approximately 200 hours.
  • Made deans list several quarters during undergrad.
I know my major weakness is my GPA. I didn't do terribly during undergrad but I'm nowhere near spectacular when it comes to some classes (Physics...). I repeated a few classes for having C's or less, mostly due to being spread too thin as an attempt to stay out of my housing situations (I didn't have great roommates during undergrad and couldn't afford to live on my own like I can now). That's part of the reason why I went on and did a MS in VMS. I took classes geared towards vet school, including pathology, radiology, applied behavior, etc. I tried to make up for that with a variety of experiences with small, large, exotics, wildlife, etc.

I'm thinking of applying to a handful of schools this time around. I have applied twice previously only to UF as I was attempting to stay in state (I moved here and got residency), but I would really like to get in somewhere this year so I'm going to be applying to more than one school this year. It will be a pain in the butt to move our farm if we have to move, but vet school is more important at this point. We also have to be careful which states I apply to as we have a few non-traditional pets that are not legal in all states to have as pets. So far, the list of schools I'm considering is: UF, UI, MSU, UW, VM, OSU (OH), NCSU, UT, and LMU. Preference is roughly in that order, although the ones in the middle are a toss up. If we had to move, I'd really like to go to Illinois or Michigan as we know friends and family in the area that would help us move and my partner's pay grade (nurse) is better there than somewhere like NC or TN.

Any suggestions for schools? My interest (despite having a farm), is in small animals and non-traditional pets (rodents, birds, etc.). Money isn't so big of an issue, though obviously the less the better. I was debating on retaking the GRE again, but my previous two scores are not much lower, and I suspect it might be a waste of time and money. At this point, reattempting classes to improve my GPA isn't an option due to cost and saving in the event we have to move.

Veterinary Experience:

Animal Experience:

Other Work Experience

Research Experience:

Member of Macon Outdoors

Other:

4-H All-Star

Your experience looks good!
A big 'no no' for applications is pet sitting/ownership. I suggest committing that part when you apply. Best of luck!

On a side note: I had to drop out of school because I failed three courses due to an eating disorder. I was put on academic probation, and re-registered in my program after a few years and rehab. Now I'm acing all my courses. You are the priority! Take care of yourself so you can reach your full potential!

Well I've been lurking on here long enough that I decided to join. Would love to hear some feedback on my stats and what y'all think my chances are for getting in. I'm currently working full-time and trying to get my crap together to apply this year for Fall 2017 admission at VMRCVM (this is my in-state school and my #1 choice).

Graduated with a B.S. in Religion
Cum GPA: 3.95
Last 45 hr GPA: 3.8something
Science: 4.0 (but I only have one undergrad science class, I'm going back and taking all the rest of my prereqs this year)
GRE: 169 (V), 157 (Q), 4.0 (W)

Research Experience:
None. This is probably my biggest weakness. My current job, however, is going to earn me some experience this fall in grant application, so I'll hopefully have a few hours to put in before the application closes.

Animal Experience:
- Currently run the livestock program for a large university. I oversee chickens and pigs now, and am implementing cows this next fiscal year. - 2080 hours
- Lived on a farm growing up with cows, pigs, chickens, goats, horses, rabbits, etc. Lots of hours
- Lifelong dog owner and trainer (hunting dogs)

Veterinary Experience:
- Worked part-time for a veterinarian while in undergrad. Did about everything the licensed technicians did except dental work. - 1200 hours
- Worked with vets on our farm growing up. Learned how to castrate pigs, cows, and horses, give shots, worm, etc. - 200 hours-ish

Employment Experience:
- Worked as a pastor for 4 years in 2 different churches. Learned lots of good people skills that I'm hoping will make me stand out as an applicant. As a bonus, I can legally perform your marriage ceremony in the state of VA.
- Construction work while in late high school/early college

Evaluators:
- Vet I worked for in college. She pushed me to switch careers back then and was very excited to hear I was applying this year, so I'm hoping she'll give me a great reference.
- Current boss at campus farm
- Former boss at one of the churches I worked at
- Undergrad professor. Not a science professor, but I had him for many classes and still keep in touch, so he was my best one academically

Personal Essay:
I'm planning on talking about my experiences that led me into ministry, and now into veterinary medicine. Focusing on how ministry taught me people skills that I needed to be a better veterinarian.

The nice thing is I'm married, a full-time job, etc., so this is not all-consuming for me. If I didn't have all that going on, I'd probably be stressed out of my mind! If I don't get in this year, I'll figure out what I'm missing and reapply the next year.

Well I've been lurking on here long enough that I decided to join. Would love to hear some feedback on my stats and what y'all think my chances are for getting in. I'm currently working full-time and trying to get my crap together to apply this year for Fall 2017 admission at VMRCVM (this is my in-state school and my #1 choice).

Graduated with a B.S. in Religion
Cum GPA: 3.95
Last 45 hr GPA: 3.8something
Science: 4.0 (but I only have one undergrad science class, I'm going back and taking all the rest of my prereqs this year)
GRE: 169 (V), 157 (Q), 4.0 (W)

Research Experience:
None. This is probably my biggest weakness. My current job, however, is going to earn me some experience this fall in grant application, so I'll hopefully have a few hours to put in before the application closes.

Animal Experience:
- Currently run the livestock program for a large university. I oversee chickens and pigs now, and am implementing cows this next fiscal year. - 2080 hours
- Lived on a farm growing up with cows, pigs, chickens, goats, horses, rabbits, etc. Lots of hours
- Lifelong dog owner and trainer (hunting dogs)

Veterinary Experience:
- Worked part-time for a veterinarian while in undergrad. Did about everything the licensed technicians did except dental work. - 1200 hours
- Worked with vets on our farm growing up. Learned how to castrate pigs, cows, and horses, give shots, worm, etc. - 200 hours-ish

Employment Experience:
- Worked as a pastor for 4 years in 2 different churches. Learned lots of good people skills that I'm hoping will make me stand out as an applicant. As a bonus, I can legally perform your marriage ceremony in the state of VA.
- Construction work while in late high school/early college

Evaluators:
- Vet I worked for in college. She pushed me to switch careers back then and was very excited to hear I was applying this year, so I'm hoping she'll give me a great reference.
- Current boss at campus farm
- Former boss at one of the churches I worked at
- Undergrad professor. Not a science professor, but I had him for many classes and still keep in touch, so he was my best one academically

Personal Essay:
I'm planning on talking about my experiences that led me into ministry, and now into veterinary medicine. Focusing on how ministry taught me people skills that I needed to be a better veterinarian.

The nice thing is I'm married, a full-time job, etc., so this is not all-consuming for me. If I didn't have all that going on, I'd probably be stressed out of my mind! If I don't get in this year, I'll figure out what I'm missing and reapply the next year.
If you can keep your GPAs in the same general ranges following your science/pre-req classes, I think your application will actually be pretty dang competitive. Might help you out slightly to also look into getting some exotic/wildlife/zoo med experience just to round things out even further. Research experience is not a necessity, but could definitely be a feather in your cap if you can manage to accumulate some hours there (sounds like you're working on it!). Just be sure that you can keep those grades up and I think you'll have a great shot!

If you can keep your GPAs in the same general ranges following your science/pre-req classes, I think your application will actually be pretty dang competitive. Might help you out slightly to also look into getting some exotic/wildlife/zoo med experience just to round things out even further. Research experience is not a necessity, but could definitely be a feather in your cap if you can manage to accumulate some hours there (sounds like you're working on it!). Just be sure that you can keep those grades up and I think you'll have a great shot!

Thanks! I'm hoping that these science courses won't be too bad, considering I've already graduated from a 4 year college, taken about 18 credits of graduate classes, and am taking those science classes at a nearby community college. I'm gonna bust my tail to get all A's this year. Getting engaged to my wife was the reason for the 3.95 instead of the 4.0 (worth it). She's now a great teammate to me and won't distract me as much this go-round ;)

Also, I am so stretched for time right now that I don't know where I'd fit more experience hours in. If I don't get in this year, though, I'm definitely going to get some more varied experience hours before the next cycle. Plus, wildlife medicine interest me, so that shouldn't be too much of a chore!

Thanks! I'm hoping that these science courses won't be too bad, considering I've already graduated from a 4 year college, taken about 18 credits of graduate classes, and am taking those science classes at a nearby community college. I'm gonna bust my tail to get all A's this year. Getting engaged to my wife was the reason for the 3.95 instead of the 4.0 (worth it). She's now a great teammate to me and won't distract me as much this go-round ;)

Also, I am so stretched for time right now that I don't know where I'd fit more experience hours in. If I don't get in this year, though, I'm definitely going to get some more varied experience hours before the next cycle. Plus, wildlife medicine interest me, so that shouldn't be too much of a chore!

Are you applying anywhere else other than VMRCVM? If so you might want to check and make sure you can apply with so many pre-reqs still to take. Also how are you taking all of your science pre-reqs in one year? Normally you would need at least 3-4 semesters because they usually build on top of eachother (ie: you need a full year of gen chem before you can take orgo, and then you need orgo before you can take biochem). I would also check with VMRCVM about taking upper level science courses at a community college. Some schools dont mind you taking lower level science at a CC, but want you take upper level science courses at a 4-year university. Not sure if VMRCVM cares or not.

Are you applying anywhere else other than VMRCVM? If so you might want to check and make sure you can apply with so many pre-reqs still to take. Also how are you taking all of your science pre-reqs in one year? Normally you would need at least 3-4 semesters because they usually build on top of eachother (ie: you need a full year of gen chem before you can take orgo, and then you need orgo before you can take biochem). I would also check with VMRCVM about taking upper level science courses at a community college. Some schools dont mind you taking lower level science at a CC, but want you take upper level science courses at a 4-year university. Not sure if VMRCVM cares or not.

All good questions! I spent about 2 months researching the answers to all of those before I committed to applying.

I'm only applying to VMRCVM this year. I'm going to be making the minimum pre-reqs for them and won't have the upper-level sciences that other schools require. If I don't get in this cycle, my plan is to take some upper levels and apply to other schools the next cycle.

For the pre-reqs, I thought the same thing as you: no way I could get them all done in a year. But, I scheduled a phone session with VMRCVM's admissions head and she assured me I could apply this cycle, and also helped walked me through which pre-reqs I had and didn't have (in their eyes). Basically, I need 27 credits. 12 credits this fall and 15 next spring, or vice versa. I have to take physics, bio, and orgo this fall (have the pre-reqs for all of them). Then part 2 for all those plus biochem next spring. UNE online will let you take biochem with only 1 class of orgo as a prereq, so I'll be good there. It's ambitious, yes, but doable. If I don't get an invite for an interview in December, I'll probably just do physics and bio next spring. If I get an interview and don't get accepted, I'll hold off on biochem til the summer.

All VMRCVM cares about is that the classes are from an accredited college, and they don't care whether they are online or in class.

All good questions! I spent about 2 months researching the answers to all of those before I committed to applying.

I'm only applying to VMRCVM this year. I'm going to be making the minimum pre-reqs for them and won't have the upper-level sciences that other schools require. If I don't get in this cycle, my plan is to take some upper levels and apply to other schools the next cycle.

For the pre-reqs, I thought the same thing as you: no way I could get them all done in a year. But, I scheduled a phone session with VMRCVM's admissions head and she assured me I could apply this cycle, and also helped walked me through which pre-reqs I had and didn't have (in their eyes). Basically, I need 27 credits. 12 credits this fall and 15 next spring, or vice versa. I have to take physics, bio, and orgo this fall (have the pre-reqs for all of them). Then part 2 for all those plus biochem next spring. UNE online will let you take biochem with only 1 class of orgo as a prereq, so I'll be good there. It's ambitious, yes, but doable. If I don't get an invite for an interview in December, I'll probably just do physics and bio next spring. If I get an interview and don't get accepted, I'll hold off on biochem til the summer.

All VMRCVM cares about is that the classes are from an accredited college, and they don't care whether they are online or in class.

well it seems like you have it figured out then, good luck!!

Hi all,
I am a student at Rutgers University and I am applying to vet school this year. I had a shaky start with college but built myself up to a 3.4 GPA with a 3.8 last 45 credit semester. I just took my GREs and got a 155 (68%) V 161 (79%) Q and 5.0/6.0 (93%) on the essay. I definitely have 2000+ hours of vet experience so I was wondering if there was any chance I could get in. Please be honest. Thanks guys!

Hello all! I decided to finally post here after driving myself crazy trying to figure out if I'm wasting my time or not.

GPA: 3.6

Science GPA: 3.49

Last 45: 3.83

GRE: V:168 Q:167 W:5.5

~800 hours volunteering at a bird sanctuary (both domestic and exotic birds)

~200 hours volunteering at a kitten nursery

~500 hours research in an ecotoxicology lab.

I also have around 150 hours in various hospital settings if that's even remotely relevant.

Now here's the really bad news. I only have about 150 hours volunteering in a vet clinic. Will probably only be able to get 180 tops. I've been trying to look for other places to maybe shadow but I do work full time and at best I'll probably only crack 200. I also don't have any real large animal experience. I can probably get a couple tens of hours with horses and pigs but not in a veterinary context (the only one nearby wants significant prior large animal experience before they let you in) and likely would come at the expense of bulking up my vet experience.

I would be happy to get in anywhere, though I think my home school is through the WIMU regional program.

Do I have any chance at all? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hello all! I decided to finally post here after driving myself crazy trying to figure out if I'm wasting my time or not.

GPA: 3.6

Science GPA: 3.49

Last 45: 3.83

GRE: V:168 Q:167 W:5.5

~800 hours volunteering at a bird sanctuary (both domestic and exotic birds)

~200 hours volunteering at a kitten nursery

~500 hours research in an ecotoxicology lab.

I also have around 150 hours in various hospital settings if that's even remotely relevant.

Now here's the really bad news. I only have about 150 hours volunteering in a vet clinic. Will probably only be able to get 180 tops. I've been trying to look for other places to maybe shadow but I do work full time and at best I'll probably only crack 200. I also don't have any real large animal experience. I can probably get a couple tens of hours with horses and pigs but not in a veterinary context (the only one nearby wants significant prior large animal experience before they let you in) and likely would come at the expense of bulking up my vet experience.

I would be happy to get in anywhere, though I think my home school is through the WIMU regional program.

Do I have any chance at all? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Are you wanting to apply this cycle?

180 hours is not a lot (and probably wouldn't meet the minimum requirement for most schools that have a minimum). Honestly you might have some difficulties with such low hours..

Hi guys! I finally decided to post because I cannot stop stressing out about applications trying to figure out how good my chances are....

21 year old, PA Resident
Applying to:
Penn, Tufts, Royal Veterinary College, UF, Wisconsin, Georgia, Cornell, OSU

Degree: BA in Psychology w/ a Biology and Chemistry Minor

cGPA: 4.0
Sci GPA: 4.0
Last 45: 4.0

GRE: 158V/156Q/ 4.5 Writing

Vet Experience:
-Shadowing veterinary surgeons: 125 hrs
-Interning at National Aviary: 700 Hours
-I am also graduating a semester early in December 2016 and will be working in a vet clinic starting in January

Animal Experience:
-Volunteering as a research assistant at Cleveland Zoo: 50 hours
-Pet Sitting: 240 hours

Other employment/volunteer/extracurriculars:
-Research Assistant at Case Medical School: 250 hours [also have a publication]
-Volunteered at a hospital- 275 Hours
-Work as Camp Counselor - 100 hours
-Pre-Vet Club
-Mortar Board
-Greek Life [With exec board positions]
-Gamma Sigma Alpha Honors Society

LORs:
-One of the vets I shadowed consistently
-One from my science professor
-One from a professor in my major
-My PI from the lab I work in
-Vet from the Aviary
-My advisor

Concerns: Just overall worried about if I have good enough stats to be accepted… mainly worried about experiences and GRE scores, though

Hi guys! I finally decided to post because I cannot stop stressing out about applications trying to figure out how good my chances are....

21 year old, PA Resident
Applying to:
Penn, Tufts, Royal Veterinary College, UF, Wisconsin, Georgia, Cornell, OSU

Degree: BA in Psychology w/ a Biology and Chemistry Minor

cGPA: 4.0
Sci GPA: 4.0
Last 45: 4.0

GRE: 158V/156Q/ 4.5 Writing

Vet Experience:
-Shadowing veterinary surgeons: 125 hrs
-Interning at National Aviary: 700 Hours
-I am also graduating a semester early in December 2016 and will be working in a vet clinic starting in January

Animal Experience:
-Volunteering as a research assistant at Cleveland Zoo: 50 hours
-Pet Sitting: 240 hours

Other employment/volunteer/extracurriculars:
-Research Assistant at Case Medical School: 250 hours [also have a publication]
-Volunteered at a hospital- 275 Hours
-Work as Camp Counselor - 100 hours
-Pre-Vet Club
-Mortar Board
-Greek Life [With exec board positions]
-Gamma Sigma Alpha Honors Society

LORs:
-One of the vets I shadowed consistently
-One from my science professor
-One from a professor in my major
-My PI from the lab I work in
-Vet from the Aviary
-My advisor

Concerns: Just overall worried about if I have good enough stats to be accepted… mainly worried about experiences and GRE scores, though

Nah. GRE is fine and GPA excellent obviously. Not varied enough for vet experience, but depending on your interests and how well you put together your VMCAS, looks very promising.

Hello! I'm applying this cycle but still working on getting more experience. I'm really torn between three things so I'd love some input on which animal/vet experience would be best for my application (if I don't get in this year or to talk about at interviews):

1) Volunteering at an aquarium preparing diets for fish, marine mammals, etc. and cleaning
2) Volunteering at a zoo collecting data for research on animal behavior (ethograms, essentially)
3) Shadowing a small animal veterinarian

I'm interested in going into shelter medicine and plan on continuing my current volunteering in the clinics of 2 animal shelters. I feel like diversity and number of hours are both weaknesses for my application, so I'm not sure which I should put more time into fixing. It would also be nice to have a strong LOR come out of it. Unfortunately, I will not be able to get any more LA or equine experience before next summer at the earliest. If I go the shadowing route, it would probably have to be at an emergency vet because of my work hours.

Here are my stats (which may look familiar as I posted them before):

28 years old, female, first time applicant (non-trad)
Illinois resident
Graduated in 2010 from a top 20 university
Biochemistry major

Overall GPA: 3.65
Undergrad GPA: 3.58
Science GPA: 3.68 (I think?)
Last 45 credits: 4.0

GRE: 165 verbal/159 quantitative/4.5 writing (Retaking because my score expired.)

Applying to: Illinois (IS), Washington State, NCSU, Wisconsin, probably Ohio State, maybe Missouri and possibly Iowa

Veterinary experience: ~900 hours
Lab animal vet shadowing: 3 hours
Equine volunteer trip: 150 hours
Small animal volunteer trip: 150 hours
Shelter clinic volunteer: 450 hours
Small animal and exotics GP shadow/volunteer: 150 hours (>5 years ago)
Wildlife vet shadowing: 20 hours (>5 years ago)

Animal experience: ~800 hours
Petting zoo (food animal) volunteer: 60 hrs
Shelter volunteer: 75 hrs small, 20 hrs exotic
Wildlife rescue: 150 hrs
Wildlife clinic volunteer: 400 hrs
Bird of prey internship: 80 hrs
Herpetology class: 32 hrs

Research experience: ~500 hours
Genetics lab (part-time job as undergrad): 250 hrs
Bio Independent study: 250 hrs (or more?) Worked with other independent study students to present research in a competition and won several awards as a team.

Employment:
2 years teaching in a rural area with Teach For America.
3 years working in education (not teaching)
1 semester TA for bio class

Extracurriculars/volunteering:
When teaching, I advised a STEM club and helped form and advise a gay-straight alliance. Not sure if this should go under extracurriculars, volunteering, or employment (I wasn't paid extra for it).

In college:
Vice-president of gay straight alliance for 1 year, and was a member for several more
Leadership position in non-profit group for refugees (tutored and was in charge of other tutors)
Student senate for 1 year
Assorted others: volunteering at a homeless shelter, bio journal club member, engineers without borders

Awards
Won some awards in a research competition (along with the rest of the team)

Other info:
I got very sick in college and had to take a medical leave for 1 semester so I have some W's and not-so-great grades. This will be mentioned in my explanation section.

Because I am a total idiot, I also once thought I dropped a course but actually did not, resulting in an F. Without this F my overall GPA would be a 3.72.

Hello! I'm applying this cycle but still working on getting more experience. I'm really torn between three things so I'd love some input on which animal/vet experience would be best for my application (if I don't get in this year or to talk about at interviews):

1) Volunteering at an aquarium preparing diets for fish, marine mammals, etc. and cleaning
2) Volunteering at a zoo collecting data for research on animal behavior (ethograms, essentially)
3) Shadowing a small animal veterinarian

I'm interested in going into shelter medicine and plan on continuing my current volunteering in the clinics of 2 animal shelters. I feel like diversity and number of hours are both weaknesses for my application, so I'm not sure which I should put more time into fixing. It would also be nice to have a strong LOR come out of it. Unfortunately, I will not be able to get any more LA or equine experience before next summer at the earliest. If I go the shadowing route, it would probably have to be at an emergency vet because of my work hours.

Here are my stats (which may look familiar as I posted them before):

28 years old, female, first time applicant (non-trad)
Illinois resident
Graduated in 2010 from a top 20 university
Biochemistry major

Overall GPA: 3.65
Undergrad GPA: 3.58
Science GPA: 3.68 (I think?)
Last 45 credits: 4.0

GRE: 165 verbal/159 quantitative/4.5 writing (Retaking because my score expired.)

Applying to: Illinois (IS), Washington State, NCSU, Wisconsin, probably Ohio State, maybe Missouri and possibly Iowa

Veterinary experience: ~900 hours
Lab animal vet shadowing: 3 hours
Equine volunteer trip: 150 hours
Small animal volunteer trip: 150 hours
Shelter clinic volunteer: 450 hours
Small animal and exotics GP shadow/volunteer: 150 hours (>5 years ago)
Wildlife vet shadowing: 20 hours (>5 years ago)

Animal experience: ~800 hours
Petting zoo (food animal) volunteer: 60 hrs
Shelter volunteer: 75 hrs small, 20 hrs exotic
Wildlife rescue: 150 hrs
Wildlife clinic volunteer: 400 hrs
Bird of prey internship: 80 hrs
Herpetology class: 32 hrs

Research experience: ~500 hours
Genetics lab (part-time job as undergrad): 250 hrs
Bio Independent study: 250 hrs (or more?) Worked with other independent study students to present research in a competition and won several awards as a team.

Employment:
2 years teaching in a rural area with Teach For America.
3 years working in education (not teaching)
1 semester TA for bio class

When teaching, I advised a STEM club and helped form and advise a gay-straight alliance. Not sure if this should go under extracurriculars, volunteering, or employment (I wasn't paid extra for it).

In college:
Vice-president of gay straight alliance for 1 year, and was a member for several more
Leadership position in non-profit group for refugees (tutored and was in charge of other tutors)
Student senate for 1 year
Assorted others: volunteering at a homeless shelter, bio journal club member, engineers without borders

Awards
Won some awards in a research competition (along with the rest of the team)

Other info:
I got very sick in college and had to take a medical leave for 1 semester so I have some W's and not-so-great grades. This will be mentioned in my explanation section.

Because I am a total idiot, I also once thought I dropped a course but actually did not, resulting in an F. Without this F my overall GPA would be a 3.72.

Would the job at the aquarium be more husbandry instead of shadowing a vet? If so, I would go for the research position at the zoo. The research would be more impressive since you have a variety of vet/animal experience, and I'm assuming you could put the research experience under both research and animal experience. I've worked at both a zoo and an aquarium alongside veterinarians, so if you're wondering which is more rewarding, I personally have found my experience at the zoo to be more rewarding because of the types of animals I have been able to work. Both environments are very fast-paced, high-stress, and busy, but they are filled with lots of learning, teamwork and amazing experiences. I've also found that some aspects of shelter med and wildlife/zoo med overlap in terms of population health, so you'll get some of that experience at a zoo/aquarium. Plus, you will have a lot of small animal experience if you're working at 2 shelters and are planning on continuing. I'd go with the zoo.

P.S. I had limited LA/equine experience on my app and I got into vet school, so don't worry about that:)

Would the job at the aquarium be more husbandry instead of shadowing a vet? If so, I would go for the research position at the zoo. The research would be more impressive since you have a variety of vet/animal experience, and I'm assuming you could put the research experience under both research and animal experience. I've worked at both a zoo and an aquarium alongside veterinarians, so if you're wondering which is more rewarding, I personally have found my experience at the zoo to be more rewarding because of the types of animals I have been able to work. Both environments are very fast-paced, high-stress, and busy, but they are filled with lots of learning, teamwork and amazing experiences. I've also found that some aspects of shelter med and wildlife/zoo med overlap in terms of population health, so you'll get some of that experience at a zoo/aquarium. Plus, you will have a lot of small animal experience if you're working at 2 shelters and are planning on continuing. I'd go with the zoo.

P.S. I had limited LA/equine experience on my app and I got into vet school, so don't worry about that:)

Thanks for the advice and reassurance! The aquarium position would definitely be husbandry, and I think I'd really enjoy the zoo.

Hi everyone, I'm new here and wanted to see if I could get some advice. I am an incoming sophomore in college and would appreciate any suggestions about my weaknesses and what I should do to improve my future vet school application. At this point, I am most interested in large/food animal medicine, but I could definitely see myself doing mixed animal.

GPA: 3.7
GRE: haven't taken it yet

Vet Experience:
~300 hours intern/vet assistant at a mixed LA/SA practice (primarily LA-shadowing and hands on)
~200 hours shadowing at an SA practice
-many hours assisting vets at our family farm (giving vaccinations, preg. checks, dehorning, surgeries, castration, etc.)

Animal Experience:
~10 years raising and showing 4-H animals (not sure the appropriate number of hours to list for this)
~10 years horse back riding lessons/horse ownership
-lifetime of caring for animals on our farm
~30 hours volunteering at a wildlife rehab center (I will continue doing this throughout college)
-farm animal and pet sitting (horses, pigs, cattle, llama, chickens, cats, dogs) including administering various meds

Other Employment:
- working on family farm (non-animal related) including: growing and harvesting crops, selling sweet corn and vegetables at a roadside stand, operating equipment, etc.

Extracurriculars:

During high school
-Co-founder/Chair of the Relay for Life at my school (received a district award for outstanding student leadership)
-Student Member of the Board of Education
-High School Valedictorian

During college
-Pre-vet society secretary
-member of university/community chorus
-member of the swing dancing club
-Sunday school teacher

Thanks so much!

Hi everyone, I'm new here and wanted to see if I could get some advice. I am an incoming sophomore in college and would appreciate any suggestions about my weaknesses and what I should do to improve my future vet school application. At this point, I am most interested in large/food animal medicine, but I could definitely see myself doing mixed animal.

GPA: 3.7
GRE: haven't taken it yet

Vet Experience:
~300 hours intern/vet assistant at a mixed LA/SA practice (primarily LA-shadowing and hands on)
~200 hours shadowing at an SA practice
-many hours assisting vets at our family farm (giving vaccinations, preg. checks, dehorning, surgeries, castration, etc.)

Animal Experience:
~10 years raising and showing 4-H animals (not sure the appropriate number of hours to list for this)
~10 years horse back riding lessons/horse ownership
-lifetime of caring for animals on our farm
~30 hours volunteering at a wildlife rehab center (I will continue doing this throughout college)
-farm animal and pet sitting (horses, pigs, cattle, llama, chickens, cats, dogs) including administering various meds

Other Employment:
- working on family farm (non-animal related) including: growing and harvesting crops, selling sweet corn and vegetables at a roadside stand, operating equipment, etc.

Extracurriculars:

During high school
-Co-founder/Chair of the Relay for Life at my school (received a district award for outstanding student leadership)
-Student Member of the Board of Education
-High School Valedictorian

During college
-Pre-vet society secretary
-member of university/community chorus
-member of the swing dancing club
-Sunday school teacher

Thanks so much!
Your stats look great so far. I would keep your head down and keep on doing what you're doing, as right now things look pretty good. If you're looking for some more variety for your animal/veterinary experience I would encourage you to look into some off the wall things like lab animal medicine. I know the place where lab animals are housed at my university used to allow undergrads to volunteer to socialize animals, so you may look into something like that. You should continue working at the places you're working, as it gives you some good variety of veterinary/animal experiences.

You should have some more animal experiences beyond raising your own animals. These are still good experiences, but keep in mind that many applicants have similar and it's easy to overinflate hours when it's something you've been doing all of your life. I would think (and hope) that the types of animals experiences you had when you were ten would be different in quality/level of responsibility than the types you had when you were eighteen, so consider what you might be saying when you state that you've had this experience for ten years or however long. Again, doesn't mean these experiences aren't meaningful (they are - and many vet students have never touched a cow before in their lives before entering vet school), just that it could be beneficial to you to supplement them. Remember that anything not supervised by a veterinarian counts as animal experience. I've had friends count things like lambing, training/breaking horses, fostering kittens, etc as animal experience.

You may also look into some more leadership type work. You seem to have done leadership things in high school/undergrad, but more never hurts and is a great way to help you develop some more leadership skills that are always helpful to have regardless of where you work later in your life.

I also usually encourage pre-vets to volunteer with human-only activities and organizations, like soup kitchens/public libraries/retirement homes. Mostly because it's good to get involved in your community and remember the human element of things.

Also, you should make an excel spreadsheet and keep track of your hours for the different things you're doing now. It'll really help come application time. Keep track of things like addresses, contact information (email and phone numbers), people you worked under, number of hours worked, species you worked with, and what you did there. I also kept tabs on any inspiring moments I had while working in certain places in case I needed inspiration for essays or the personal statement when I was applying. All of that information came in handy and if you keep tabs on this stuff now you will LOVE yourself a few years from now when you apply.

Anyway, you're doing a pretty good job right now. Keep up the good work.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the advice, I am planning to continue volunteering at the wildlife rehab center, so I will get more varied animal experience through that. I am trying to decide what type of vet experience I should focus on getting next summer: large animal for more depth since it is what I am most interested in or wildlife or exotic so it is different from what I already have.

Hi guys I would really appreciate some feedback on my stats so far. I am applying this cycle for my first time and I am a year younger than most people (going to be a junior) so I really dont know what to expect since I don't know anybody my age applying. I am also not sure if this will help or hurt me.

Female 20, hispanic
UIUC molecular and cellular bio

Cum GPA: 3.87
Last 45 credits: 3.87
Science GPA: 3.79

GRE verbal: 160 (85%)
GRE quant: 158 (70%)
GRE analytical writing: 5.0 (93%)

Experience Hours:
Animal Experience:
-Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator- 210 hours
-Foster home- 350 hours
-Pet Sitting- 300 hours

Veterinary Experience:
-Kennel, Receptionist, Vet Assistant at a small animal clinic- 1,300 hours
(I started off as kennel and have been promoted twice but still work kennel and reception regularly)

Research:
-Undergraduate research assistant (using pigs as models)- 450 hours

Other Experiences:
-Caricature artist at six flags- 720 hours
-UIUC Pre Vet Club Public Relations officer
-Illinois half marathon participant

Honors/Scholarships/Awards:
-Presidents Award- 10k/year scholarship
-Deans list Spring 2014-spring 2015 (all my semesters but first semester freshman year)
-UIUC James Scholar

I think that's it really. I'm concerned my experience isn't wide enough, since I've been at the same clinic through highschool and college. However my research job at school works with pigs so I have a lot of experience with piglets and wild life as well. Please let me know what you think because it would be greatly appreciated and I don't really know where to find this information elsewhere!

Hiya folks! Been awhile reading these forums now. What an phenom group of advice givers. Thanks in advance for your help

First time applicant, 22 years old, NC Resident
Applying to: NC State (Planning on applying to more next year if I don’t get in)
Degree: BS in biology with a minor in chemistry (graduated in 3 years)

cGPA: 3.82
Req GPA: 3.87
Last 45: 3.98

GRE: Quantitative: 160/78% Verbal: 162/90% Analytical: 3.5/38% (eeek)

Vet Experience
-Shadowing at small-animal clinic: 140 hours
-Interning at different small-animal clinic: 140 hours (more hands-on experiences)
-Shadowing large-animal mobile practice: 60 hours
-Shadowing an equine podiatrist: 80 Hours
- Volunteering at the NC state turtle rescue clinic: 36 hours

Research Experience
- Aquaculture Research Internship at Mystic Aquarium (most recent experience): 1,600 hours.
This is somewhat unusual (yet valuable) experience that makes up a majority of my hours. So I want to give a few details. This research project has been supervised by a PhD scientist, so it should counts towards the veterinary hours requirement for NC state. I have explained in my personal statement that 1. This experience suits my interest in veterinary research. 2. I chose this internship because aquaculture is an area of animal health where there is the potential for veterinary medicine to make huge advancements in coming years 3. During this internship I collaborated with aquarium veterinarians to develop quarantine protocols for the experimental fish and shadowed aquarium vets.​
- Species delimitation research: 40 hours
- Plant-insect interaction research: 50 hours

Animal Experience:
-Volunteering in lab animal facility at my school: 130 hours
-Pony Club: 4+ years, received C2 certification

Other
-Manager of neighborhood pool
-Biology tutor
-Pre-Vet Club
-Volunteering at UNC hospital- 25 hours
-Awarded scholarship funds by aquarium

LORs:
-PhD scientist supervising aquaculture research project
-Equine-podiatry veterinarian I shadowed (also have kept in close contact over the years)
-Professor from several of my biology classes

Concerns: Obviously on the low side for actual veterinary experience. Hopefully it helps that my area of interest is veterinary research? Also, I have some misdemeanors that I’ve disclosed on the application (related to marijuana and alcohol). It's been almost 4 years since the last charge.

Hi there ! :) I guess it wouldn't hurt to gather some feedback/advice on my stats. I'm currently applying this cycle, with full intent to reapply next year if I don't get in. I was planning on waiting another year to diversify my veterinary and animal experience but I was told that it is better to apply now, rather than waiting a year, because I'd have to have a ton of experience to make it up. Overall, I feel as if my application is quite average, so I'd love any advice to help stand out.

22 years old
California Resident
B.S in Biology/Zoology
Chemistry Minor

Overall GPA: 3.59
Science GPA: 3.48
Last 45 credits: 3.73

GRE: 149 verbal/154 quantitative/4.5 writing

Applying to: Oregon State University, UC Davis, Washington State University, & Colorado State University

Veterinary experience: ~910 hours
  • Working at a Dog & Cat Hospital
Animal experience: ~ 865 hours
Shelter Volunteer: 750 hours
  • Lead Volunteer (ie, I trained all the incoming volunteers)
Herpetology class: 96 hrs
Wings of Rescue: 10 hrs (helped airlift 1000 red listed dogs to various shelters across the country)
Fox All Star Dog Rescue Celebration: 9 hrs

Research experience: ~ 32 hours
Terrestrial Ecology Class: Independent Research in Costa Rica over 10 Days
(but we the remainder of the class was spent discussing research methods & the latter half of the course was writing up our paper)

Employment:
5 years working at Gap, (Customer Service)

I volunteered at my local library when I was in high school, not sure if this is still relevant experience though.
In college, I volunteered with a group that spread mental health awareness.
Biology Club etc.

Awards
  • President's List/Dean's List multiple semesters
  • Award for being a shelter volunteer
I realize that my experiences aren't as varied as I'd like them to be, but as I mentioned I was told it's still best to at least apply. I'm in the process of trying to gain some volunteer experience with horses, but unfortunately when you live in the middle of urban Southern California it's hard to find a wider range of experience, ie with large animals/wild life etc. Any thoughts would be appreciated ! Or if I should be looking into other schools aside the ones I've listed.

Hi everyone- I posted back in March, but now I have taken my GREs
I am currently a junior in undergrad in Biotechnology and I am applying this upcoming round of applications. I wouldn't have my degree completed, but I would have prerequisites done. Courses that will be in progress (Physics, biochemistry and a literature course).

Applying to: Cornell, Virginia-Maryland, and Tufts

NYS Resident
Female
19 years old

Cum GPA: 3.621
Science GPA: 3.35

GRE: 152 Q (47th percentile) and 153 V (60th percentile)

Animal Experience:
2500+ hours horseback riding
2300 hours working in horse boarding facilities
Horse 4H Member for 3 years
600 hours working at a doggy daycare
40 hours ongoing volunteering at a working dairy farm
20 hours volunteering at a fish hatchery
30 hours volunteering at ARISE at the Farm helping wight the horses and special needs children

Veterinary Experience:
1500+ hours working at a SA emergency clinic
100 hours shadowing LA/ equine vets

Research:
300 hours of research predator scat DNA extractions and care of experimental zebrafish. I also am planning to be published within the next year

Campus Involvement:
President and founder of Pre-Vet Club
Student Ambassadors
Alpha Xi Sigma Honors Society
Enrolled in honors program
Deans list and Presidents list

I am finishing up my application for Vet School and I am getting very nervous. My dream is to go to Texas A&M Vet School and was wondering if I could get some opinions on my chances.

GPA:
-Overall: 3.69
-Texas A&M: 3.59
GRE Scores:
-Verb. Score: 162 (90th percentile)
-Quant. Score: 157 (67th percentile)
Shadowing:
-700 in large animal
- 120 in small animal
- 16 with Eye Specialist
Animal Experience
-1000+ hrs. in training and showing horses

I am finishing up my application for Vet School and I am getting very nervous. My dream is to go to Texas A&M Vet School and was wondering if I could get some opinions on my chances.

3VM at A&M here! I think your chances of snagging an interview are good--what's your sciGPA and last 45 GPA? Also, I'd continue to get experience if you can, especially as varied as possible.

Good luck!

Hey Guys! Super nervous about applying and screwed up in the beginning but have a huge upward trend. Let me know what you think.

21 Year Old, New Jersey Male resident
B.S. in Animal Science: Pre-Vet and Research Option; B.S. in Biological Sciences
Minor in Biochemistry

Overall GPA: 3.384
Science GPA: 3.45
Last 45 Credits: 3.76

GRE: 155 V/ 161 Q/ 5 Writing

Applying to: Upenn, UC Davis, OSU, GSU, Cornell, Iowa, VMCVM, Tufts, Ross, UMinnesota, NC State

Veterinary Experience:

Emergency & Referral Veterinary Hospital: ~1540 hours
Shadow Veterinarian: ~500 hours
Shadowed doctors at Emergency Hospital: ~300 hours

Animal Experience:

Aided in Animal Rescue in Bolivia & Egypt: ~100 hours
Pet Ownership: 4 years - Dog, Fish, Turtle
Aided in Jersey Fresh Horse Shows: ~130 hours
Dairy Cattle Artificial Insemination: ~48 hours
Farm Aid at School: ~200 hours

Research Experience:

Honors Thesis on Horse Grazing Patterns and affect on Grass Nutrients: ~500 hours
Research Technician at Ecology Lab studying Bee Pollen: ~160 hours

Extracurriculars:

Member of Alpha Zeta Fraternity
Archangel Raphael’s Feed the Homeless Mission
SAT Math Tutor
Treasurer of Animal Science Club
Church Youth Teacher
Plays in Concert Band and Marched Drum Corps

Honors:

Dean’s List last 3 semesters
GH Cook Honors Thesis Program

Status