This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like some input as well to whether or not I may stand a chance to get in the vet program at WSU Pullman.

I have a 3.0 GPA currently, but I'm getting A's in 3 classes this semester, have two more semesters to go, and am retaking a class I got a C- on in the fall (never ever take human anatomy in the summer if its only 6 weeks long!!!!). So I expect my GPA to raise a bit, but not a ton.

I'm taking the GRE in April so I don't know what my score is on that. I've been practicing though, and scheduled my date with enough time to retake if I have to so lets assume it is a fairly good score for the purposes of my question.

Volunteer experience: 100 hours helping with the local "walk and knock" food drive, 100 hours at the humane society (Will be a lot higher by the time my app is due in october) 200 hours at a small animal vet clinic (would have been higher but I got hired!)

Work experience: dog walking: 80 hours (again will be more by october, closer to 200 hours)
pet sitter: a year of sporadic pet sitting, usually 1-2 weeks every month or 2
small animal vet tech: 200 hours (will be over 1200 by october)

Animal experience: I've had pets all my life, raised and trained my dog when i was 14 (still have her ofcourse!) idk if having pets counts for much though, and then the humane society, dog walking, pet sitting and vet tech exp all counts.

Leadership
I was in 4H for 7 years, i was the vp for 3 years and the president for 4 years, and about half of the years i was also in the 4h ambassador club as the vp.
I am starting a pre-vet club at my school this month and I will be the president of that as well.

Does my extracurricular experience seem to make up for my GPA? Or does anybody have some suggestions to help my application stand out even though my gpa is pretty low? thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd like some input as well to whether or not I may stand a chance to get in the vet program at WSU Pullman.

First of all, are you in-state or out-of-state for WSU?

Secondly, with your "vet tech" hours....are you an actual licensed/certified vet tech? Some schools will really ream you if you say "I'm a vet tech!" and then they ask where you were certified and you're all, "Oh. Well I'm not." School: "Ok, then you're a vet assistant, not a vet tech."

Personal experience, here. :(

Secondly, with your "vet tech" hours....are you an actual licensed/certified vet tech? Some schools will really ream you if you say "I'm a vet tech!" and then they ask where you were certified and you're all, "Oh. Well I'm not." School: "Ok, then you're a vet assistant, not a vet tech."

That sucks. Never had a school tell me that. But in az, you don't need to be registered to be a tech. I don't know if the schools know all the different state regulations but I have yet had a school tell me I am only an assistant.

Members don't see this ad :)

It's not a legally protected term in most states... if a school really dinged you for that, that sucks. :thumbdown:

doxiegirl,
I think what you have planned (ie. retaking your C-, doing well in the future in classes, and get to 1200 vet experience hours) sounds like a great idea. The one thing that I didn't se you mention was a plan to get some varied experience. You might want to think about getting some experience (preferably vet) with large animals (cows, horses, pigs, sheep) or exotic animals. I got an interview this year at WSU and not last year and I think the fact that I had a very unique experience (bison embryo transfer) is the reason. Good luck!

doxiegirl,
I think what you have planned (ie. retaking your C-, doing well in the future in classes, and get to 1200 vet experience hours) sounds like a great idea. The one thing that I didn't se you mention was a plan to get some varied experience. You might want to think about getting some experience (preferably vet) with large animals (cows, horses, pigs, sheep) or exotic animals. I got an interview this year at WSU and not last year and I think the fact that I had a very unique experience (bison embryo transfer) is the reason. Good luck!

I actually forgot to mention that i found a large animal vet who was willing to let me shadow. :) may I ask how you got that unique experience/where you did it? I'm in Vancouver, WA, and it's been a little hard for me to find vet clinics that will let you even just shadow/ observe. There is only one exotic vet clinic that is also an emergency vet that I know of. Also, how did you go about finding experiences like that?

Thanks!

I'm in state. No I'm not a licensed or certified vet tech. I wasn't aware that you had to be certified to be considered one. The clinic that hired me calls my position 'vet tech'.

was it WSU that said that to you?

I actually forgot to mention that i found a large animal vet who was willing to let me shadow. :) may I ask how you got that unique experience/where you did it? I'm in Vancouver, WA, and it's been a little hard for me to find vet clinics that will let you even just shadow/ observe. There is only one exotic vet clinic that is also an emergency vet that I know of. Also, how did you go about finding experiences like that?

Thanks!

I got to assit in the procedure because I work at a research lab and the group doing the bison research needed some extra hands so they asked me to help. I think it is all about networking- try a lot of different experiences and keep on the lookout for new opportunities. If you tell the people around you that you are interested in getting new experiences with vets chances are they will let you know when something comes up. :)

I'm in state. No I'm not a licensed or certified vet tech. I wasn't aware that you had to be certified to be considered one. The clinic that hired me calls my position 'vet tech'.

I was in the same position, and so have had this discussion in many different venues many different times. After some thought about it, I honestly thought it best to just leave the title out of the experience section on VMCAS altogether, and just elaborated my duties at the vet clinic where I worked (I was in FL which is not very restrictive with regards to distinguishing between licensed and unlicensed support staff). However, when I mentioned the position briefly in my personal statement, I called myself a veterinary assistant despite the fact that the clinic referred to us as "techs".

I was in the same position, and so have had this discussion in many different venues many different times. After some thought about it, I honestly thought it best to just leave the title out of the experience section on VMCAS altogether, and just elaborated my duties at the vet clinic where I worked (I was in FL which is not very restrictive with regards to distinguishing between licensed and unlicensed support staff). However, when I mentioned the position briefly in my personal statement, I called myself a veterinary assistant despite the fact that the clinic referred to us as "techs".

I was also a "tech" in FL and never had a problem with it on my applications or interviews. I honestly didn't even think about it. :oops:

It was not. I'm just saying to be careful with what you say...in case you step on someone important's toes.

I'm actually filling a head tech position. When I signed on here, the paper I signed listed my position as a vet tech, along with the duties specific to a vet tech, and my boss calls me a vet tech/the head vet tech.

Some schools just frown upon bestowing a title on someone who "isn't actually certified," even if they are qualified and filling a position.

It just depends on which way you want to see it. Or which way they want to see it. I feel like calling myself a vet assistant really squelches what I actually do on a day-to-day basis at work, but I certainly don't want to get rejected just because I used the wrong terminology in order to better explain what I do.

I just called myself a vet assistant and listed all the things I'm responsible for. :)

Hi all,

I'm currently 22 working in a vet clinic, when I was.in high school I wasted my time slacked off and didn't study. Getting a cum GPA of 1.75. Now I am totally regretting this, every since I started working at this clinic my passion for wanting to be a vet is growing even more. Seeing vets being able to save a lot of animals was my wakeup call in life. I was wondering is it too late for me.to do anything to get into vet school? And if not what can I do starting now? Thanks a lot.

22 year old female, Florida resident, will be first time applying (UF, Auburn, Mississippi State, Cornell, maybe one more)

Major: Biological Science Minor: Chemistry

3.37 cumulative gpa
3.19 last 60 hours gpa
3.24 science gpa(using only science/math courses required for uf vet)
1150 GRE ( 600Q, 550V, 4.0AW)

960 hours SA Hospital-Vet Tech
50 hours LA(Equine) Hospital-Shadowed
80 hours Internship at USDA-Animal Industry
30 hours Vet assistant at Animal Shelter (vet on-site)
500 hours SA Hospital-Kennel Tech
Animal Experience: ~20,000 hrs riding horses
Extra Curricular Activities: Operation Catnip(Spay/Neuter clinic), Low-cost Rabies Clinic, 2011 MSU APVMA Symposium, ~110 hours doing a Directed Individual Study where I was essentially a lab tech assistant in a research lab, Publicity coordinator 2yrs for Pre-Vet Club, Member for 1 year in Equestrian Club.

Will have 2 rec. letters from vets that I currently work for, and 1 from a professor.

I realize my gpa and gre scores will hurt me tremendously;However, after taking it twice, I will not be retaking the GRE. :eek:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm 23 years old right now, and finally want to start studying again, is it too late? After working in an animal clinic for a month, my passion for studying started up again. When I was in high school i slacked off, didn't study, didn't do homework. I totally regret it now, but in the end i got a grade 12 diploma, and a GPA of 1.75. Is it impossible for me to get into Vet School? I want to be able to help the animals more then what I can currently do, if I can get to Vet school what is it that I can do to increase my chances, or is it impossible for me now? Thanks.

Last edited:
22 year old female, Florida resident, will be first time applying (UF, Auburn, Mississippi State, Cornell, maybe one more)

3.37 cumulative gpa
3.19 last 60 hours gpa

I realize my gpa and gre scores will hurt me tremendously;However, after taking it twice, I will not be retaking the GRE. :eek:

Also, some schools will be requiring the new version of the GRE. I see that Florida (http://education.vetmed.ufl.edu/admissions/dvm-specifics/) has both listed, so you may be ok this year, but if you must reapply next year, you may have to take it again anyway.

Auburn, Mississippi, and Cornell don't address the upcoming application yet, and so do not address the new GRE format.

So to sum up, while your GRE score isn't horrible, there is a good chance you may have to take it again anyway. Why not use that information to your advantage and study like crazy, and take it earlier (prepared) rather than later (rushed)? Just a thought. :)

Also, as far as your general stats go, you and I look very similar. :) I think you have a chance, probably in-state (IS) though. I wish I hadn't wasted my money applying out of state (OOS). I REALLY wouldn't waste my money on Cornell. They accept the cream-of-the-crop only. I thought my experience would really help me, but so far the only one who has taken much notice of me is my IS.

What year did you graduate with your BS in Biology?

I'm 23 years old right now, and finally want to start studying again, is it too late? After working in an animal clinic for a month, my passion for studying started up again. When I was in high school i slacked off, didn't study, didn't do homework. I totally regret it now, but in the end i got a grade 12 diploma, and a GPA of 1.75. Is it impossible for me to get into Vet School? I want to be able to help the animals more then what I can currently do, if I can get to Vet school what is it that I can do to increase my chances, or is it impossible for me now? Thanks.

If you are from/applying for a US school, they honestly don't care about your high school GPA. I can't answer for anything UK/Canada/Australia.

Most US programs require a BS or have a 3+1 program, where you do three years of undergrad, then apply to vet school without an actual degree.

Thank you all for your input.

Abber, I graduated in April of 2011 and have been working at SA hospital since. The reason I am dreading taking the GRE again is because I have taken it twice already and even took a Kaplan course just to get that 1150. I guess I shouldn't have said I will not retake it, more so that it will probably be the last thing that I will improve.

The reason I am dreading taking the GRE again is because I have taken it twice already and even took a Kaplan course just to get that 1150. I guess I shouldn't have said I will not retake it, more so that it will probably be the last thing that I will improve.

Unfortunately since it is mathmatically less possible to raise your GPA, your GRE is one of the first things you will need to improve to be competitive. The lower your GPA, the higher your GRE needs to be, generally. This is a nitty gritty process. You might as well not count out what you will and won't do just yet. And yeah, don't waste your money (and time... I had to write 6 essays :rolleyes:) on Cornell. They have 4.0s in the rejection pile! Good luck! :luck:

Interesting that you guys brought this up. The department head of the vet tech program at my school just sent out an email regarding this topic...

"Finally, it is important that if you are either an Animal Science or Animal Health Science student that is not yet a licensed RVT, but working in practice, you may not use the title " Technician", "Veterinary Technician", "Vet Tech", "Technologist" or any letters or words related to the legally protected title of Veterinary Technician. This is the law as of January 2011. You may use the terms "Veterinary Assistant", "Assistant", " Unlicensed Assistant", or just your name without a title."

Maybe it only applies for those in CA though. I'm not sure. All I know is I refer to myself as a veterinary assistant even though my unregistered coworkers call themselves vet techs.

21 year old female, Kentucky resident, will be first time applying (St. George University)

Major: Veterinary Science
3.30 cumulative gpa
2.95 science gpa
Scheduled to take the GRE next month

5000 hours SA Hospital-Vet Assistant
1000 hours LA Hospital - Vet Assistant
40 hours working on animals with Volunteers for Intercultural and Definitive Adventures
40 hours Rabies clinics
40 hours Morehead State University Veterinary Technology Classes

Worked at the World Equestrian Games promoting Kentucky Equine Colleges
Coordinated a trip for MSU students to go to Costa Rica and Panama to work in Spay/neuter Clinics
Animal Experience: Tons of hours, grew up around dairy and beef cattle, horses, goats, chickens, and more. Also have fostered many exotic animals.
Extra Curricular Activities: Officer 4 years Pre-Vet Club, Vet Tech club, Chemistry club, intramural soccer, Chi Alpha, more...
Deans List
3 rec. letters: Small animal Vet I have worked with for 5 years, Large Animal Vet who is also my professor and my advisor, Small animal Vet who is also my professor and accompanied me on the trip to Costa Rica and Panama.

So my GPA is pretty bad. I'm retaking a class at the moment, hoping it will bring that up some. Hopefully my GRE score will be better, I have studied like crazy for it!

21 year old female, Kentucky resident, will be first time applying (St. George University)

Major: Veterinary Science
3.30 cumulative gpa
2.95 science gpa
Scheduled to take the GRE next month

40 hours working on animals with Volunteers for Intercultural and Definitive Adventures
40 hours Rabies clinics

Worked at the World Equestrian Games promoting Kentucky Equine Colleges
Coordinated a trip for MSU students to go to Costa Rica and Panama to work in Spay/neuter Clinics
Animal Experience: Tons of hours, grew up around dairy and beef cattle, horses, goats, chickens, and more. Also have fostered many exotic animals.
Extra Curricular Activities: Officer 4 years Pre-Vet Club, Vet Tech club, Chemistry club, intramural soccer, Chi Alpha, more...
Deans List
3 rec. letters: Small animal Vet I have worked with for 5 years, Large Animal Vet who is also my professor and my advisor, Small animal Vet who is also my professor and accompanied me on the trip to Costa Rica and Panama.

So my GPA is pretty bad. I'm retaking a class at the moment, hoping it will bring that up some. Hopefully my GRE score will be better, I have studied like crazy for it!

Well as you know your GPA is on the lower end, so my best advice for now is to absolutely ROCK that GRE, which I'm sure you will!! :thumbup: A high GRE is gonna help your application! Your experience looks good since you have both small and large animal experience. Maybe work on some experience with exotics or shelters just to strengthen it even more. But for now, focus on the GRE and let us know how you do so we can give you better advice once all the pieces are here to look at.

40 hours Rabies clinics
That's a whole lot of experience hours for a 21 year old! Focus on your GRE, it could really help you. Be weary though, low GPA is a blaring defect on a vet school application.

Non-Traditional: 1st Time Applicant this October.

Last 45: Higher than the current GPA, but not 100% sure.
GRE: Scheduled for June...am taking a stupidly expensive class so I can hopefully score well on my first try and attempt to balance out my poor GPA.

VET:
-80hrs: shelter medicine (spay and neuter observation)
-300hrs: Rural Clinic:
mixed practice (volunteer vet assistant).
-36hrs:
Porcine stroke model surgical observation, (pre/post-op assistant).
-4hrs: Vet School Bovine Surgical Observation
-8hrs: Equine Castration Clinic

ANIMAL:

-Cattle, Horses, Chicken Farm (childhood)

RESEARCH:

-120hrs: Undergrad. Research: (porcine and avian)
-360hrs: Undergrad. Research-Developing Stroke Model/
Porcine
-500hrs: Employee for Large Animal Research Unit-currently employed.

EXTRA CURRICULAR ETC:

-Founder/President of "Large Animal Medicine Club"
-Member of Pre-Vet Club
-Volunteer Georgia Equine Relief Fund-"Stamp Out Starvation of Horses".

I am interested in Large Animal and Food Animal Medicine. Just wanted some opinions on what I can do to make myself more appealing. I plan on mentioning my 10 years of Small Business Management experience and how it relates to owning/running a clinic. I am considering a VIDA trip to give me a broader range of experience, but they are pretty pricey. Should I look into exotics or wildlife?

Just reading this site has been super helpful!!! I am so lucky to have found you guys!!!!

Last edited:
I am considering a VIDA trip to give me a broader range of experience, but they are pretty pricey. Should I look into exotics or wildlife?

If you really *want* to do a VIDA trip, by all means, it's a great experience. But don't get out of your comfort range financially just to do one. It's not worth doing to look good on an app - it's only worth doing if it's something you really, really want to do.

Seek out experience where you can. Maybe look into a RAVS trip if you want to do something like that without breaking the bank.

Sure, look into wildlife if you're interested in wildlife... just try to volunteer at a variety of places. You have a good start - if nothing else, just get more SA and LA experience if you can.

And, just FYI... your GPA isn't that terrible. Lol.

If you really *want* to do a VIDA trip, by all means, it's a great experience. But don't get out of your comfort range financially just to do one. It's not worth doing to look good on an app - it's only worth doing if it's something you really, really want to do.

Seek out experience where you can. Maybe look into a RAVS trip if you want to do something like that without breaking the bank.

Sure, look into wildlife if you're interested in wildlife... just try to volunteer at a variety of places. You have a good start - if nothing else, just get more SA and LA experience if you can.

And, just FYI... your GPA isn't that terrible. Lol.

Thanks for the input 12Tigers!

3.37 cumulative gpa
3.19 last 60 hours gpa

960 hours SA Hospital-Vet Tech
50 hours LA(Equine) Hospital-Shadowed
80 hours Internship at USDA-Animal Industry
30 hours Vet assistant at Animal Shelter (vet on-site)
500 hours SA Hospital-Kennel Tech
Animal Experience: ~20,000 hrs riding horses
Extra Curricular Activities: Operation Catnip(Spay/Neuter clinic), Low-cost Rabies Clinic, 2011 MSU APVMA Symposium, ~110 hours doing a Directed Individual Study where I was essentially a lab tech assistant in a research lab, Publicity coordinator 2yrs for Pre-Vet Club, Member for 1 year in Equestrian Club.

Will have 2 rec. letters from vets that I currently work for, and 1 from a professor.

I hate to be a debbie downer, but I'm a FL resident too and have significantly better statistics/experiance then you and am currently sitting on UF's wait list and was rejected at Miss State and Auburn this term. I would suggest a masters and boosting your GPA/GRE.

I am wondering if anyone knows the stats for the Auburn Univ. alternate list. I am on it, but don't know how many people get put on that list. Also, I know UF got to invite all the students put on the alternate list last year. Does anyone know the stats for the Auburn list? Thanks!
P.S. I am a Florida student...don't know if that changes anything!

I'm wondering if someone that has been in my situation can offer me some advice. I'm a nontraditional applicant, I'll be 27 in April. I finished my undergraduate degree in 2007 with a terrible gpa, 2.5ish. Why was it so low? Because I was lazy and lacking direction. I've been back in school for the past two years filling my prerequisites, and doing well (3.4ish) (except a C in ochem2). I've been a vet assistant at a small animal practice for the past 4 years. Also have 1.5 yrs at an emergency animal hospital, 1 year of petstore experience and 6 months working at a special needs animal sanctuary. I've applied to WI and MN and didn't get in. I have appointments to to speak with advisors from both schools coming up. My GRE score was 1090, only took it once. I plan to retake my GRE this summer and maybe take one or two science courses this summer, as well. Because of my poor cum. gpa I need to be strategic about where I apply. I obviously can't apply to schools with a strict cum. gpa cutoff. Does anyone have advice or school suggestions? Are there schools that will not look at your cum. gpa or disregard it if a certain amount of time has passed? Thanks!

I'm wondering if someone that has been in my situation can offer me some advice. I'm a nontraditional applicant, I'll be 27 in April. I finished my undergraduate degree in 2007 with a terrible gpa, 2.5ish. Why was it so low? Because I was lazy and lacking direction. I've been back in school for the past two years filling my prerequisites, and doing well (3.4ish) (except a C in ochem2). I've been a vet assistant at a small animal practice for the past 4 years. Also have 1.5 yrs at an emergency animal hospital, 1 year of petstore experience and 6 months working at a special needs animal sanctuary. I've applied to WI and MN and didn't get in.

The single best thing you probably can do is build a to-do list based off what WI/MN tell you on review. Prioritize it by a blend of "doable" and "most valuable". Then start attacking the list. If they aren't explicit in your review about suggestions, then be blunt and ask them. You aren't out of line to say "What are the top 5 things I could do to make my application stronger for your school?"

Beyond that, there's no magic bullet. If your application is weak in one area, you have to correct that or strengthen it elsewhere. Retaking the GRE could help if you can score better. Getting some large animal experience (shadow a farm vet Saturdays all summer) might help, especially up here in the midwest.
I don't know about WI, but MN does not look at your cumulative GPA (they use pre-req GPA and most-recent-45-credits). Two or three 4-credit A grades this summer could certainly help that.

So I'm looking for some advice on places to apply to and anything maybe to improve on.

3rd year applicant, 23 year old, Female, South Dakota resident
Undergrad Major: Biology, Minor: Chemistry
Masters: Biological Sciences with specialization in Veterinary Microbiology (will be done this fall)

Last 45 GPA: 3.5-3.8
Science GPA: 2.53-3.1
Cum GPA: 3.1
GRE: 1120 W 4.0 <<after taking it four times:eek:

Vet Experience
-175 at SA
-30 at different SA
-85 at a mostly equine vet
-150 working at research facility with a PhD

Animal experience:
-800 working at a research facility with numerous animals including Muntjac deer
-1800 working at a dog kennel as an assistant manager

So when I talked to someone at the U of M she said I was really close to being on the waitlist after my interview and had a little mix up with my newest GRE. And the guy at KSU said I was .1 points from just getting an interview based on my science GPA.:mad: This gave me some hope and made me want to try one more time. I'm still getting feedback from other schools so who knows what they'll say. I know I need more shadowing and I'm planning that this summer (and doing some right now on my spring break). I'm debating whether I should retake my GRE after 4 tries. I'm trying to figure out schools that let more people OOS in. Also I'm planning on applying to Ross since they look at the whole picture. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So I'm looking for some advice on places to apply to and anything maybe to improve on.

Masters: Biological Sciences with specialization in Veterinary Microbiology (will be done this fall)

Vet Experience
-175 at SA
-30 at different SA

Animal experience:
-800 working at a research facility with numerous animals including Muntjac deer

So when I talked to someone at the U of M she said I was really close to being on the waitlist after my interview and had a little mix up with my newest GRE. And the guy at KSU said I was .1 points from just getting an interview based on my science GPA.:mad: This gave me some hope and made me want to try one more time. I'm still getting feedback from other schools so who knows what they'll say. I know I need more shadowing and I'm planning that this summer (and doing some right now on my spring break). I'm debating whether I should retake my GRE after 4 tries. I'm trying to figure out schools that let more people OOS in. Also I'm planning on applying to Ross since they look at the whole picture. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would say that your numbers are probably the thing that's hurting you at this point. That said, if you could boost your experience numbers (in both breadth and depth), that would definitely help you. I'm sure the research is giving you an edge, so play that up in your application.

As far as schools that take more OOSers...

Minnesota, Kansas, Tufts, UPenn, and Missouri (though Missouri is very numbers-based). There may be more, but those are the ones I'm aware of (and applied to because of their high OOS numbers).

Good luck!

Vet Experience
-175 at SA
-30 at different SA

Animal experience:

I'm not sure if you already did this but maybe take a prep course to help you prepare for the GRE or if you didn't already take the new GRE maybe you would have an easier time with that one over the old one. (not that I had a great score on the GRE but my grades made up for it and I was going to take it again if I didn't get in this year). And maybe try and get some food animal experience in addition to increasing your vet experience hours. I really hope things work out for you next year :)

I'm not sure if you already did this but maybe take a prep course to help you prepare for the GRE or if you didn't already take the new GRE maybe you would have an easier time with that one over the old one.

Yeah I took one of the Kaplan prep courses for the old test and did well on the quantitative but bombed the verbal (idk what happened there:confused:). That score was from the newest version of the GRE. I was told by 2 schools so far those scores were about average. I should also say this vet experience was when I applied in October so I've gotten more plus our research facility is now under the university vet so I can count more of those hours.

I would say that your numbers are probably the thing that's hurting you at this point. That said, if you could boost your experience numbers (in both breadth and depth), that would definitely help you. I'm sure the research is giving you an edge, so play that up in your application.

As far as schools that take more OOSers...

Minnesota, Kansas, Tufts, UPenn, and Missouri (though Missouri is very numbers-based). There may be more, but those are the ones I'm aware of (and applied to because of their high OOS numbers).

Good luck!

Based on my experience, I would knock at least UPenn and Missouri off this list for you, saki. My cum GPA is 3.59 and combined GRE of 1370 and I was rejected from both Missouri and UPenn. Missouri is numbers based, no question. UPenn likes to say they look at the entire application, but if you look in the VMSAR book at their accepted applicants stats are incredible. I dunno about Tufts. Honestly, it is a LOT about picking the right schools to apply to. I'm glad to hear you're giving it another go. As a second time applicant, I know how tough it is to handle the rejections and muster up the strength and courage to go through it again.

Best of luck :luck:

Based on my experience, I would knock at least UPenn and Missouri off this list for you, saki. My cum GPA is 3.59 and combined GRE of 1370 and I was rejected from both Missouri and UPenn. Missouri is numbers based, no question. UPenn likes to say they look at the entire application, but if you look in the VMSAR book at their accepted applicants stats are incredible. I dunno about Tufts. Honestly, it is a LOT about picking the right schools to apply to. I'm glad to hear you're giving it another go. As a second time applicant, I know how tough it is to handle the rejections and muster up the strength and courage to go through it again.

Best of luck :luck:

I would agree about Mizzou (though I got in with a higher GPA but lower GRE--seems like GPA is more important), though not sure about Penn. I really don't know what their criteria is. Lol.

Have any of you looked into St. Matthew’s University? Not trying to hijack the thread here or anything but I figured I’d put the option out there. I’m a senior student there (so graduating with my DVM in two months) and I’ve had an OUTSTANDING education from there. My final year of clinics has been spent at North Carolina State University, a place where I have done extremely well. I have received MANY high marks from my senior clinicians applauding my educational knowledge and often outshining the NCSU native students.

My program takes on small class sizes three times per year (September, January, and May). Because we have entry three times a year that is how our classes are smaller. My class while studying in Grand Cayman was 22 students!!!!! There is not any other school in the US/Canada that you will be able to go to say that. I didn’t have to fight for attention from my professors or worry about animals not being cooperate because they have been handled by the 50 or 149 other students before me. We also had hands on experience as a vet student from the very first day with going on emergency large animal calls to monitoring dolphin behavior with our board certified behaviorist.

I know a lot of you seem to be working on re-taking classes and re-taking GRE exams. I commend you all as you are not short in the tenacity department. But from someone that had a 3.5 undergraduate GPA there is more to academic than the grades you obtain. I would advise all of you to think about the amount of time/money you are expending to meet these requirements. Veterinary school is NOT CHEAP! The more time you spend pilling on the debt while in undergrad will hurt you when vet school is going to cost you anywhere form $100,000-310,000!!!! Think about how long it is going to take to pay that debt off. Also fun fact.....the starting salary for a DVM in the US last year was $65,000. If you want to do an internship or residency (to be a specialist) you’ll be starting at $25,000/yr. Keep that in mind.

Check out our website: www.stmatthews.edu!

Shoot me an email: [email protected] or [email protected]

Just passing along some wisdom from someone who has been there and done it! :)

J

Ugh, people. A 3.4 gpa is not bad. At all. Please don't be discouraged if you have a 3.3, 3.4 gpa. That is a B+, which is still really great!!!

Well I applied to Missouri the first round and realized they're really numbers based and they basically told me that I have horrible stats (as if I didn't know). I found some different ones to apply to this year so :xf:.

About the whole Ross/St George/St Matthew's, I've always kinda wondered how in the world you get your stuff down there or do you only take the necessities and can find everything else on the island? Thanks for the info!!

I would agree about Mizzou (though I got in with a higher GPA but lower GRE--seems like GPA is more important), though not sure about Penn. I really don't know what their criteria is. Lol.

Tufts puts a lot of weight on GPA and GRE scores as well. When I was wait listed the first time I had a cum GPA of about 3.5, science 3.5-3.6 and last 45 was a 3.7. My GRE score was either 1200 or 1220 for them (can't remember if they look at individual sections of the test to determine a score) and I was told my GRE score and GPAs were average. They also told me that if they had been a bit higher they would have made up for my lower number of hours of vet experience. They also said if I had more hours of vet experience, it could have made it up for the average GPA/GRE. I'm waiting to hear back from them about why I was flat out rejected this year, so I don't know if things have changed or not.

Well I applied to Missouri the first round and realized they're really numbers based and they basically told me that I have horrible stats (as if I didn't know). I found some different ones to apply to this year so :xf:.

About the whole Ross/St George/St Matthew's, I've always kinda wondered how in the world you get your stuff down there or do you only take the necessities and can find everything else on the island? Thanks for the info!!

From the St. Matthew’s point of view (Grand Cayman) we have A LOT of things available on the island so it’s not so bad. Some things I just packed before going every semester. Living on that island is not nearly like the other islands from what I’m told....plus the once I’ve visited on vacation. A really good place to go to school....in my opinion/experience.

J

While I am in medicine, my brother is considering vet school. During discussions on the issue, he mentioned that he wasn't sure where he would stand in terms of admissions. He's not on the forum so I am asking. He's in his low-mid 20s and about to graduate with a masters of science in animal and nutrition sciences from a mid level state school. His bachelors is in the same field.
Undergrad GPA was about a 3.6. Graduate GPA was similar. He has 2 or 3 publications with 2 more to be submitted after he defends.
GRE was about 1100.
He's had a bunch of animal experience, as our parents own a small farm. Though, his actual vet experience may not be as much as I think it should be (maybe 50 hours, not including research with a vet).
As of now, he is planning on getting a PhD (already accepted) but he is thinking he may want to do a DVM/PhD program. What do you think his chances are, and what could he do to increase chances?

While I am in medicine, my brother is considering vet school. During discussions on the issue, he mentioned that he wasn't sure where he would stand in terms of admissions. He's not on the forum so I am asking. He's in his low-mid 20s and about to graduate with a masters of science in animal and nutrition sciences from a mid level state school. His bachelors is in the same field.
Undergrad GPA was about a 3.6. Graduate GPA was similar. He has 2 or 3 publications with 2 more to be submitted after he defends.
GRE was about 1100.
He's had a bunch of animal experience, as our parents own a small farm. Though, his actual vet experience may not be as much as I think it should be (maybe 50 hours, not including research with a vet).
As of now, he is planning on getting a PhD (already accepted) but he is thinking he may want to do a DVM/PhD program. What do you think his chances are, and what could he do to increase chances?

I'd say he definitely has a chance! Just being male to begin with is a good thing :laugh:. His GPA is decent (same as mine and I was just accepted), he should have all of the pre-reqs he needs with the degree he has, and his research experience will be helpful. He could improve his GRE to push his chance a little higher. I'd say an 1100 is about average for most schools, but the goal is to try and be above average (especially with an average GPA - My GRE was a 1250 and I had the same GPA - as a comparison). Definitely take the GRE again! His GPA might be on the low end for a dual degree candidate (not sure, maybe someone else can elaborate on that), and I would definitely say get more "veterinary experience". They consider it different from animal experience and most schools have a minimum number of hours required to even apply.
My next piece of advice would be to apply strategically. Each school looks at applications differently and doing research on which schools will favor him the most is a huge time and money saver. Where does he live?

I agree with Emiloo's advice. My friend was interviewed for a dual degree program with similar stats to your brother. Depending on his Masters GPA I think he has a descent shot based on numbers. However I will echo Emiloo that he probably needs more veterinary experience. You said the 50 hours did not include the research he has done with a vet, but by all means, those hours count as veterinary experience as well. If he can get his non research related veterinary hours higher (there is no magic number here, but his overall should be above 1000), he should definitely stand a chance. I also agree that he might want to retake the GRE, though my friend who got an interview had a similar score.

Typically dual degrees are much more competitive than just getting accepted to a DVM program (which we all know isn't easy). Dual degree programs usually select the top of the top from my understanding (ie candidates with 4.0 GPA and great GRE scores and tons of experience). Your brother's GPA seems competitive for a regular DVM program. IMO, GRE scores could be improved; as others have said the goal is to stand out, so don't settle for average. I think your brother should focus on getting veterinary experience. If he gets an interview, I am sure the schools will want to know why a DVM/PhD instead of just a PhD and I think he would need more experience to be able to answer that question. Goodluck!

I need some help making a tough decision on what would help me get accepted into veterinary school the most!

What I feel good about:
GPA: 3.6
Science GPA: 3.45
last 3 semesters: 3.8
GRE: I haven't taken it yet, but I expect a really good score based on my past standardized test scores, the studying I'm putting in and my practice tests have gone well.
I'll hopefully stand out as a Resident Advisor and having overcome financial difficulties.
My IS school is Illinois, which is good because I feel like my stats are pretty in line with what they accept.

I know my weak spot is my experience hours. I worked as a kennel attendant and volunteered at a shelter, so I have a lot of small animal experience, and a few hours observing a veterinarian at a shelter, but that's about it.

I knew I had to fix that, so I made a plan for this summer and I'm all scheduled and set to gain 250hrs of wildlife rehabilitation experience (some veterinary, some just animal), 250hrs of veterinary experience at a spay/neuter clinic, 100hrs observing a large animal veterinarian, and 100-200hrs of veterinary experience doing research on American Goldfinches.

I feel really good about that plan, I think it actually gives me a chance. But I just got offered an interview for an internship at the Brookfield Zoo in the Zoo Nutrition department. I know that would be helpful and would look good, but it's a full time position and would prevent me from gaining the aforementioned hours in the other areas.

Now I'm all confused. I haven't been offered the zoo internship yet, but if I do, which one would look better for my veterinary school application? Other than applying again, my plan B if I don't get accepted is a career at the zoo, so I feel like not taking a position there would hinder that plan too. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! Please help!!!!

I need some help making a tough decision on what would help me get accepted into veterinary school the most!

What I feel good about:
GPA: 3.6
Science GPA: 3.45
last 3 semesters: 3.8
GRE: I haven't taken it yet, but I expect a really good score based on my past standardized test scores, the studying I'm putting in and my practice tests have gone well.
I'll hopefully stand out as a Resident Advisor and having overcome financial difficulties.
My IS school is Illinois, which is good because I feel like my stats are pretty in line with what they accept.

I know my weak spot is my experience hours. I worked as a kennel attendant and volunteered at a shelter, so I have a lot of small animal experience, and a few hours observing a veterinarian at a shelter, but that's about it.

I knew I had to fix that, so I made a plan for this summer and I'm all scheduled and set to gain 250hrs of wildlife rehabilitation experience (some veterinary, some just animal), 250hrs of veterinary experience at a spay/neuter clinic, 100hrs observing a large animal veterinarian, and 100-200hrs of veterinary experience doing research on American Goldfinches.

I feel really good about that plan, I think it actually gives me a chance. But I just got offered an interview for an internship at the Brookfield Zoo in the Zoo Nutrition department. I know that would be helpful and would look good, but it's a full time position and would prevent me from gaining the aforementioned hours in the other areas.

Now I'm all confused. I haven't been offered the zoo internship yet, but if I do, which one would look better for my veterinary school application? Other than applying again, my plan B if I don't get accepted is a career at the zoo, so I feel like not taking a position there would hinder that plan too. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! Please help!!!!
Is the zoo position under a veterinarian? If not, then you might as well just admit you are not trying to get into vet school and are going with plan B.

Veterinary experience is crucial, and if you forego it for another opportunity, then you have made your decision about what you prioritize. Unless you plan on focusing on nutrition then you could try to emphasize in your PS that your work was really directly relevant to your future career goals.

I don't know your chances, but sometimes you just have to commit one way or the other.

Is the zoo position under a veterinarian? If not, then you might as well just admit you are not trying to get into vet school and are going with plan B.

Veterinary experience is crucial, and if you forego it for another opportunity, then you have made your decision about what you prioritize. Unless you plan on focusing on nutrition then you could try to emphasize in your PS that your work was really directly relevant to your future career goals.

I don't know your chances, but sometimes you just have to commit one way or the other.

Thanks for the input!! I'm trying to cover all of my bases, but you're definitely right about having to commit, or else I won't get anywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.