About the ads

What are my chances?

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by jtom, May 12, 2011.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. sooprnova

sooprnova Penn c/o 2016!

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I don't know a thing about Illinois admissions, but my recommendation would be to contact someone in their admissions department and ask if they have time (after they're done with this admissions cycle, of course) to sit down with you and help you plan this coming year.

I did this with my IS school and met with an amazing person in admissions who gave me great direction and kept in touch with me throughout the application process. I also feel as though this helped me "make my mark" so that I stood out when they started reviewing files.

If Illinois is definitely the school you want to attend, there's nothing wrong with emailing someone in admissions, telling them that, and asking for some direction.
  2. PoggySue

PoggySue

SDN 2+ Year Member
    That is one thing I NEVER thought to do, but that is a very great idea! Illinois is definitely my top school, so it makes perfect sense to see what their opinion is on the matter....whether they'll value the diversity or the unique zoo experience more. Thanks for the reply!!!
  3. Foxhunter

Foxhunter Year 2 of 7 (or 8?9?) Gold Donor

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hey- I just got accepted to a Dual program at NCSU with a 3.6 GPA (mind you from a top tier school as a physics major), so it's definitely doable. I've also had great success getting interviews for other programs (an alternate for one, rejected post-interview from another). The important things for these programs is really your proven desire to have a career in research (which it sounds like your brother has). They want to see that you're not just in it for the free ride.
  4. foxhunter25

foxhunter25

Pre-Veterinary
    Very early in my thoughts. Of my pre vet studies I have all science classes to complete. Currently my GPA is 3.4. I'm strong in science. My vet clinic hours are 2840 in large animal including buffalo, alpaca, camels. Small animal hours are approximately 1200. I'm currently working at a small animal emergency clinic. I have wild bird rehab experience as well. I'm 32, married, no children. Is this a dream I should let go? My drive is stronger than ever but I don't want to be 50 when I graduate. I am currently in school. Any input??
  5. Tegan05

Tegan05

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Just wanted to see if anyone has opinions on these stats!

GPA: 3.85
    Science: 3.65
    Last 45: Probably somewhere around 3.7
    GRE: Taking this summer

Animal Experience: Extensive equine, 10k+ hours.
    ~20 hours at a bat sanctuary

Vet Experience: Around 500 hours
    65 hours shelter (TNR)
    20 hours equine surgery
    6 hours zoo med (bats)
    170 hours Equine
    210 hours small animal

Research: ~20 hours helping with an equine weanling project

I'm a Florida resident and will be applying to UF for the first time in the fall. Also thinking of applying to NCSU and Wisconsin. I'll be getting more vet experience hours this summer, hoping to boost it to around 750 by application time.
  6. Fireflysushi

Fireflysushi CSU c/o 2016!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I think you definitely stand a chance! It sounds like you have some really cool and extensive experiences. I don'tknow how recent your science classes are, but there are certainly people that get in with 3.4s. You should check out the successful applicants page to get ideas about other people's numbers. If it is really what you want to do then go for it! I know a woman that started vet school at 33 and she is loving it. The applications comittees also loved all of her real life experiences.

I think 750 is a good number to go for. try to get some foodanimal experience if you can to really round out your app.
  7. highhung723

highhung723

I have a lot of gaps in my stats that I'm filling in for the purpose of this thread, so bear with me.

VA resident, so no contract schools :( and only 80 slots at VMR for VA-MD residents.
    BS degree in Biology
    GPA: 3.5 cumulative and science, will be taking additional courses to fulfill the prerequisites during the summer. There is an upward trend in GPA if that makes a difference: 3.1 / 3.4 / 3.7 / 3.7
    GRE: 700-760 Q, 600-650 V (based on practice tests in the revised ETS book, or whatever that translates into for the new scale)

Animal Experience:
    -400 hrs at kennel-free doggy daycare

Veterinary Experience:
    ~1000 hrs at a small animal hospital
    ~50 hrs for large animal ride-alongs

Other ECs:
    -TA for Orgo Lab and for Bio Lab
    -Eagle Scout
    -Opinion writer for college newspaper
    -Volunteered at a human hospital for one semester
    -Volunteered at a soup kitchen for 1 year

My main question is: should I apply early in the cycle (June) with these projected experience hours or should I wait until later, gain more experience, and then apply? If I go the early application route, I don't know how much schools take into update letters or how often/when I should send those in. If I go the wait route, I don't know how much that decreases my odds of getting in this cycle.

Any help would be much appreciated.
  8. kakurubird

kakurubird

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 5+ Year Member

There's absolutely no advantage to applying early (unlike med schools, I think), so definitely wait to submit so you have some more experience to add to your application/can fine-tune your PS more/whatever you can to make your application stronger!

I (personally) wouldn't wait until the very last minute (just because I'd be so scared something would fail technology-wise), but I know people here have done it and it's worked out for them.
  9. abbercadaver

abbercadaver LSU MMXVI

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    On this note, I'm not sure if there are any vet schools who offer "early admissions" for early-summer submissions. (I think OK State offers an early acceptance after high school and Cornell does one after Sophomore year in college).

However, med schools definitely offer it, and if your stats are less than perfect, this is a great opportunity to showcase yourself. My dad's on the adcom of one of our med schools here. He said you're more likely to get in with less-than-stellar stats if you do early admissions, rather than putting yourself into the general admissions pool.

Do you know for sure no veterinary schools offer 'early admissions?'
  10. bunnity

bunnity Penn 2014

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    They don't. They don't look at anything until VMCAS closes.
  11. futurehealervet

futurehealervet

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hey everyone. First off I just want to say Ive been obsessing over this forum for a LONG time and I want to thank everyone for their awesome posts! I am in my first year of college and so far here are my stats:
    GPA-3.98
    Veterinary experience-
    600 hours SA/exotics vet
    Animal experience-
    100 hours zoo

I have wildlife rehab lined up for this summer. Its not much to go by but does anyone have advice as to what types of veterinary experience i should shoot for? Also, how much does it affect how they view your GPA based on what school you go to?
  12. Fireflysushi

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    You are off to a great start! I recommend trying to get some large/farm animal and maybe some equine experience to round out your app. My pre-vet advisor says somewhere around 70hrs in other fields helps to show that your expereince is rounded. I would shoot for more if you can, it can't possibly hurt your application. In the next three years or two if you plan to apply early, I would recommend trying to get some leadership experience. For instance you could be a leader of a club, or you could help run a fundraiser for a non-profit. Keep rocking your classes and getting experience, and you will do fine:)
  13. gbvettech

gbvettech

Pre-Veterinary
    Thanks for the advice! MN definitely had some "doable" feedback and I will be speaking with WI in April. I'm planning to retake the GRE, gain large animal experience and do some more community involvement/volunteering. Not looking forward to the application process again, but it's well worth it!
  14. tvo21

tvo21 Wisconsin c/o 2017

Veterinary Student
    1st time applicant, GA resident, will be applying for 2013 cycle!

B.S. in Biology - minor in Chemistry (graduating in May)
    GPA 3.87
    GRE 550 V, 700 Q, 4.5 (old GRE)

Animal/Vet Experience:
    - Vet Assistant at small animal hospital ~ 800 hrs (maybe more by time of app)
    - Primate Research intern at Zoo ~180 hrs
    - Zoo Volunter ~20 hrs
    - Local Animal Shelter Volunteer ~20 hrs
    - Shadowed a small animal Vet at private animal clinic ~ 36 hrs

Other Achievements/Activities:

(College)
    - Dean's/President's List throughout college
    - Tri beta biological honor society member
    - Golden Key honor society member

(High School)
    - President of Beta Club
    - Cross Country Runner for 3 years

----------------

It definitely puts things into perspective to type it all like this. Everything looks really bare..anyway I just want some feedback on what I should work on. I know that I am lacking in leadership experience. I also would like some experience hours with large animals. I plan to visit a stable with a large animal vet, but I was just wondering how many hours I should put in? She is personally setting time for me, so I don't want to bombard her and take too much of her time. I also realize that I need to boost my GPA to be considered competitive. Feedback would be appreciated!
  15. Fireflysushi

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    First of all I think you are plenty competitive with the GPA that you currently have. I second that you should get some LA experience before you apply. Try for as much as you can over the summer, but I don't think you need to go crazy. You have over 1000 hours vet experience as it is so if you aim for over 100 hours LA I think you app will look great!
  16. tvo21

tvo21 Wisconsin c/o 2017

Veterinary Student
    oh, Fireflysushi, I meant GRE not GPA! Darn..what a major typo. Thank you for the advice though! :)
  17. Fireflysushi

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Ah I see. Depending on the school you apply to that should be fine as well. Some care about this more than others. I don't know about GA though.
  18. hopefulinva

hopefulinva VMRCVM DVM/MPH c/o 2016

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    You look like a solid applicant to me.

How about extracirriculars? Horseback riding, sorority, marching band - anything helps! I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer but everyone applying to school has solid stats, so anything that helps separate you from the crowd and allows you to stick out is a good thing. :thumbup::thumbup:

Good luck!
  19. xhaikux

xhaikux University of Illinois c/o 2018

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hey guys! Non-traditional student here! I was wondering, what else should I be doing to become an even stronger applicant?

First time applicant, 29 years old, male, New Jersey resident.
    Cum GPA @ time of application: 3.80
    Undergrad: University of Scranton (3.5)
    HCCC (3.7)
    NJCU (3.97) - finishing prerequisites at a city university in NJ
    Last 45 Credit Hours: 3.97
    Science GPA @ time of application: 3.6

Veterinary-Related Experience:
    - 24 hours Shelter Medicine (will increase)
    - 800 hours shadowing SA vet (will increase)
    - 40 hours shadowing an equine/food animal vet (will increase hopefully this summer)

Animal-Related Experience
    70 hours @ Liberty Humane Animal Shelter (dog and cat husbandry) (will increase)
    25 hours fostering kittens for Liberty Humane Animal Shelter
    50 hours @ horse riding therapy organization

Employment
    220 hours language tutor
    30 hours history research assistant
    Veterinary Assistant
    (other jobs here and there)

Extracurricular/Community Activities
    LSAMP Scholar @ NJCU
    Multicultural Club @ UofS
    Volunteered at Philips Ambulatory Care Center
    Volunteered at Moses-Taylor Hospital's Hospital Elder Life Program

Awards and Honors
    Dean's List
    Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society 2006
    Dean's list (Fall 2002, Spring 2003, Fall 2003, Spring 2009, Spring 2011, Fall 2011, Spring 2012)
    Kappa Mu Epsilon Honor Society 2012
    Beta Beta Beta Honor Society 2012

At the moment, it's actually pretty difficult for me to get more large animal veterinary related experience. I live in an urban environment and I don't have my own car. I'm going to try to get some experience at a wild bird sanctuary this summer.
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  20. hopefulinva

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Have you taken/how are your GREs?

I'd put your Veterinary Assistant employment experience under vet experience, if I were you!

How active were you in your honor societies? Obviously most are just resume padding, but did you do any volunteer activities with them, hold a leadership position, etc? How about in your other extracirriculars (which look awesome, btw)?

Otherwise you look like a very strong applicant - but just remember, anything that sets you apart is a good thing!
  21. Vetaspirant

Vetaspirant

post deleted
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  22. xhaikux

xhaikux University of Illinois c/o 2018

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hey Hopefulinva,

Thank you so much for reading my post. I actually just got invited into those honor societies this semester so I haven't really had a chance to do much with them. I am actually one of the training captains for my local animal shelter where we train pitbull/pitbull mixes and I run workshops for new volunteers so that is one position where I play a leadership role.
  23. Snowboarder3116

Snowboarder3116

Pre-Veterinary
    I have been using this site for awhile, but it was mainly cause I was originally planning on attending MedSchool.

I have recently discovered that I really had a passion when it came to being in an animal setting.

My current stats:
    GPA: 3.59
    Science: 3.4
    Last 45: Probably somewhere around 3.7
    GRE: Taking this summer

Animal/Vet Experience:
    640 hrs as Animal Tech (SA mostly rats, mice, rabbits and some guinea pigs + pigs)

College:
    -Deans list 3x
    -AED pre-health honor society member

I know my current weakness is my Animal/Vet experience since the majority of all my volunteering was in an ER/medical setting. I am just curious what suggestions people have in what I could do to strengthen my application. I have taken a prepMCAT course through princeton and I was averaging 30-33 on my practice tests. I am pretty confident in my ability to obtain a high score on the GRE. But all suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!
  24. hopefulinva

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Snowboarder - your stats aren't bad. As you've identified, it wouldn't be a bad thing to stock up on vet hours in other fields. I don't know how the GRE and the MCAT differ, other than the MCAT is probably more specialized, so you may want to pick up a GRE study guide (I like the Princeton Review) or complete a practice test just so you're switching gears!

What about other extracirriculars?

I'd also use my personal statement to explain my switch from human to animal medicine, if I were you - not because it needs explaining, but because it'll help set you apart!

(If you don't mind my asking: why'd you switch? =) )
  25. Snowboarder3116

Snowboarder3116

Pre-Veterinary
    The majority of my extracurriculars are all pre-med based. Ranging from volunteer work in ERs to spending 2.5months in India doing HIV/Aids education for highschool and medical school students. The Mcat is way more science focused then the GRE from what I can tell.

I know my stats aren't bad forsay. But I want to know if they are competitive and or if I did well on the GRE would that raise my chances. I am not sure if someone knows kinda what range of a GRE score is defined as "good."

I decided to switch mainly because I have always had a dual passion for helping others and animals. It wasn't until I spent sometime as an Animal Tech that this passion started to manifest into something I'd like to pursue as my career path. It recently became more of a realization to me after I found out the Army had a similiar scholarship program to the Navy for paying my way through.

I know I will delve more into why I swapped in my personal statement, which I have read I believe the max is 5000 words? Is it bad or good to reach the limit? I have read different points of view and was also curious in that matter.
  26. hopefulinva

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Definitely still put these on your application.

Obviously higher scores/higher GPA/etc will make you more competitive - but different schools focus on different things. Academics are the foundation, of course. But keep in mind that you'll be competing with thousands of other applicants who also have really good grades and really good GRE scores and hundreds (thousands.... sometimes it's sickening :laugh: ) of hours of vet/animal/etc experience, so pretty much anything that separates you from the crowd is a good thing - I really can't hark on this enough! ;) My academic stats were passable; I'm convinced my leadership skills, emphasis on social stewardship, and commitment to multiculturalism were what separated me from the crowd.

"Good" depends on the schools to which you're applying. They generally list the competitive scores for their latest incoming class on a Prospective Students page - although with this being the first cycle of the new GRE, this will probably take some figuring out.

From what I've heard this is a really competitive program (I think someone said 2 students were accepted to it last year - I don't know if that's 2 from the school or 2, period), but it's great that you have an interest in that!

Writing a good personal statement is all that matters. VMCAS will not allow you to enter more than the limit (I forget what the limit is, but it won't physically allow you to type beyond it), but as long as it's cohesive, well-written, addresses the prompt, and is representative of you as a person - that's the important part. If you can do all of this in half the space, that's fine; if you take every blessed character given to you, that's fine too.
  27. Snowboarder3116

Snowboarder3116

Pre-Veterinary
    That's kinda what I am curious about, what do vet schools look for in people that differentiates them from the general crowd. I have seen/heard of people that apply to medical school's with 4.0 gpas and a good mcat and not get in based upon they weren't a solid applicant in other areas.

My goal is to make myself a solid applicant for vet school in a years time. I have tons of leadership experience from when I was at my Church and helped in leading youth programs when I was in highschool or doing charity events as well.

Other then just the general experience of being in an animal envrionment what kind of things could I look at into doing to separate myself from the crowd?

Thanks Again
  28. Emiloo4

Emiloo4 UF CVM 2016

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Diversity, diversity, diversity. Anything! Most people applying to vet school have tons of experience and as an adcom that sits around looking at thousands of applicants with the same or similar animal experience, it's completely animal irrelevant things that stick out to them. I put tons of music and theatre accomplishments on my application, I also put that I am into outdoor sports (fishing, bowhunting, etc). Each interview I went on, they specifically focused on how those things would bring diversity to the incoming class. Anything at all. And don't be afraid to put high school stuff. I did, and it was brought up several times (in a good way).
  29. Snowboarder3116

Snowboarder3116

Pre-Veterinary
    Currently I am working as a Lab Assistant doing Research. Would it be beneficial for me to look for a more animal based job? Or is the job I currently have still look good on a application?
  30. orca2011

orca2011 PennWe c/o 2016!!! Gold Donor

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Research seems to be something a lot of committees are really looking for and have been noticing it seems to make people stand out more. While I never worked directly on a research project, I worked as a lab assistant throughout college and I'm pretty positive that my 1000+ hours helped make up for the pathetic number of veterinary experience hours I had during my first cycle. If you can find a way to keep that job and shadow a vet, do that.

And all honesty, everything varies by cycle. I did worse in regards to interviews and whatnot this year than I did last year and my application is a lot stronger. A lot of it really just comes down to how strong the applicant pool is and you present yourself. And my gpa's are similar to yours across the board. My GRE score is just average (1200 or 1220 depending on the school) and so far I've been told if that was a bit higher, I'd probably have done better. I'll probably retake if for a 3rd time in the next couple of months since I have to buy brand new books since the stupid thing changed format but it looks like they got rid of analogies. Yay!!!
  31. bipolarbear123

bipolarbear123

Pre-Veterinary
    I'm somewhat in the same position as you. I was deciding whether to take a position as an undergrad researcher in a lab this semester, or take other classes that might prepare me and "look good" for vet school. My weakest point on my application is my lack of hours, but after I talked to Cornell, they said they highly encourage research. Like orca said, if you can do research and find a way to get hours at the same time, that's a perfect situation. I would stick with it.
  32. hopefulinva

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Honestly I'd do the research.

I worked as a UG researcher for a couple of years here, and my upper-level science classes were lacking, for the most part (a degree in management gobbled up all the space I had originally planned for virology/parasitology/etc... which may or may not hurt me in the long run, I'll get back to you on that one ;) ). But I heard a lot of positive feedback regarding my hours in the lab, so that's a good thing.
  33. bipolarbear123

bipolarbear123

Pre-Veterinary
    I've finally decided to put my stats up here, so I appreciate all feedback. I'm looking to apply to UF, Davis, Western, and maybe Cornell.

B.S. Chemistry (in May)
    Cum GPA: 3.8
    Science GPA: 3.9 (does this include lower and upper div required? was never clear on that)
    GRE: 1290 (580 V, 710 Q)

Animal Hours:
    195 Volunteer at New Beginnings for Animals with cats
    20 rehabilitating wildlife (squirrels, skunks, opossums)
    46 rehabilitating harbor seals
    56 barn animals (pigs, cow, goats, horses, chickens)
    140 horses

Vet Hours:
    21 surgery assistant for spay/neuter clinic
    10 spay/neuter rat clinic
    (The following are projected hours; will be completed this summer)
    ~550 SA veterinary assistant
    ~290 clinical assistant at shelter
    ~400 wildlife zoo

Extracurriculars:
    Undergrad researcher in organic lab
    Ocean Institute volunteer
    Chemistry Tutor
    Principal Advisory Board
    Pep Squad
    Alpha Chi Sigma Professional Fraternity (Officer Positions)
    Save Japan Dolphins Volunteer
    Pre-Vet Club

Awards:
    Honors through college
    Valedictorian (HS)
    Dolphins Pride Award
    Dolphin Pride Award Silver
    AP Scholar with Distinction

My main worry is that I'm basically getting all of my veterinary hours (which doesn't add up to be that much) in the next few months before I apply. Therefore, at least 2 of my LOR will come from vets who have only known me for a short period of time. Furthermore, I want to focus on wildlife, and most of my hours will be in SA. I also want to do a lot of veterinary research, but I have no veterinary research experience. Thoughts?
  34. bunnity

bunnity Penn 2014

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I had fairly similar stats to you and like you I got most of my vet hours in the summer before I applied. It didn't create any problems for me :) I think as long as you can demonstrate that you are solid in your decision and aren't doing this on a whim, you will be fine!
  35. bipolarbear123

bipolarbear123

Pre-Veterinary
    good to know.. thanks!
  36. MonkeyResrcher

MonkeyResrcher Animal Behavior Lover

Pre-Veterinary
    First time applicant, BA in Anthropology/ Psychology (2009): Canisius College BS in Biological Sciences (2013): University at Buffalo (basically from taking pre-reqs)
    Overall undergrad GPA: 3.56 from Canisius, Science GPA 2.70

SAT- Reading 570, 640 Math 560, 540
    1000+ University research (primate/croc) at Canisius 2007-2009
    1440+ hrs primate research in Sri Lanka 2009-2010
    200 hrs Buffalo Zoo intern in 2008
    131.25 hours at small animal vet office (Nov/Dec 2010)
    ~1200 hours at small animal vet office (during 2011)
    Total hours: Approximately 4,000 hours

Experience: Outside school: Fulbright Award Winner: Researched primates and worked along veterinarians at Perideniya vet school in Kandy, Sri Lanka, foster parent for SPCA, research for Buffalo Zoo, tutored elementary student foreign refugees in English. Fulbright Research Award to Sri Lanka (2009-2010)
    College: Service trip to El Salvador, Canisius zoological trip to California, research film crew in British Columbia, zoo biology trip to PA, OH, MI, ornithology in FL, Psi chi psychology honor society, FUSION gaming club, Little Theater, Canisius Zoological Society, Canisius tour guide. At UB – Outdoor Adventure Club, Skydiving Club (2011/2012)

In Highschool – NC Singers, National Honor Society, SADD (Officer – Vice President), Key Club (Officer – Secretary), Prom Committee, Drama Club (Jekyll/Hyde, 12 Angry Jurors, Bye Bye Birdie and School House Rock performances).

Awards:
    Outside School: Five Stay Excellence Award for Sentry Hospitality

College: Dean's List, graduated Cum Laude, Member of Psi Chi National Honor Society, Canisius Honors Curriculum freshman and sophomore years.

Highschool: Honor Roll (2002-2006), Service and Disciple Award for outstanding community volunteer work (June 2006), President's Education Award for Academic Excellence (2006), NUSTEP Niagara University Prep program (2006), Academic Achievement Award in Religion (May 2006), Niagara Catholic Science Fair Participant (2006), Academic Achievement Award in Economics (May 2006), Academic Achievement Award in Physical Education (May 2006), National Student Leadership exemplary student leadership (2006), National Student Leadership exemplary student leadership (2005), Gold Status in West Point R.B.S Counselor's Scholarship Award (2005), Niagara Catholic Science Fair Participant (2005), Air Force Recruiting Service Mathematics and Science Award (May 2005), Athletic Award in Basketball (2002), Fitness Challenge (2000, 2001, 2002)

Volunteer Work; Opportunities Unlimited of Niagara Gift Wrap Booth and Floral Sale, Memorial Medical Center (100+ hours), HANCI Senior Prom Student Leader

I have a lower science GPA - A C in Cell Bio, a C in Evol Bio and a C in Organic Chem I which really worries my. I am also bad at standard tests but I need to take the GRE still. But I fear due to my science GPA I won't be accepted and fear GRE

I am interested in Cornell (my IS), Edinburgh, Glasgow, RVC, Uni of Ill, Tufts, Virginia -Maryland
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  37. StartingoverVet

StartingoverVet Flight Instructor for hire Gold Donor

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    You certainly sound like an interesting applicant. Your key to getting in somewhere is going to be how you slant that science GPA. I don't get it. Why the trouble? Are you gonna make it in vet school? How bout research>

I am not being discouraging, just asking the questions you will have to ace to have a chance.

Needless to say a rocking GRE would really help you. Start your PS now, and start studying for the GRE now. Know the math backwards and forwards (so you can use it against your science GRE), and do whatever it is you need to do on verbal GRE these days (not sure if it has changed....

You've got a chance, you just gotta package and sell it correctly.
  38. MonkeyResrcher

Pre-Veterinary
    I have only been back for a semester, at the end of my second of doing pre-reqs. My older brother (only 27) had life-threatening open heart surgery and both my parents couldn't be around because they had MRSA so it was over a month and a half after the surgery til they could even see him, so I was juggling both those family issues, my own apartment and SO (cleaning, groceries etc when you are on your own take up a fair amount of time), working at a vet clinic, and all classes (Physics, Orgo, Calculus, 2 labs). I got one C, B, B- and an A- and so GPA was low. The two bio courses are from 2006 when I was an undergrad first time around at a much harder university

it also depends what is meant by science, in undergrad i did classes like BIO 315 Comparative Animal Behavior (3 credits, A-), Comparative Ani Behav Lab (1 credit, A), Bio 325 Reproductive Biopsychology (3 cred, B), BIO 300 Research Method (1 credit, A), BIO 350 Zoo Biology (4 credits, A-), Zoo Biology Lab (1 credit, A-), BIO 150 Zoo Nutrition (3 credits, A),and Bio 316 Soical Organization of Mammals (4 credits, B) that I did NOT factor in (I only counted gen chem, orgo, physics, gen bios)
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  39. orca2011

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    The 300 level classes should count. I would be surprised if they didn't. The 100 level should as well, although some schools might not let it count towards a pre-req.

And geeze, you got a Fulbright?? That's pretty impressive on it's on if you ask me. Like SOV said, I would just do well on the GRE and definitely explain the situation about your brother. I know Tufts told me directly they like to have explanations. The amount of weight that it carries is variable, but they like to know as much as possible about you when looking at your application. I asked to find out if they were okay with that or looked down on it because I dealt with a bit of depression and other personal issues a few times throughout undergrad and didn't know if I should bring it up or not.
  40. MonkeyResrcher

Pre-Veterinary
    Yeah, I had a research Fulbright studying the ramifications of increases human presence and garbage culture leading to primate menace in Polonaruwa Sri Lanka, I also spoke on the topic in Udaipur, Rajastan, India in a US state-department ran conference
  41. PetPony

PetPony Rawr :*

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I don't know if anyone has answered this yet, but UGA requires you to have either at least a 3.0 GPA or 1200 GRE. You meet both. You are also above average for GRE for the last two admitted classes.
  42. vkajko

vkajko

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I have been really thinking about applying to one of my choices this fall, Glasgow. They don't require the GRE and I already have all the pre-reqs done. I am really nervous though because I feel like my stats just aren't that great and I would be wasting my time and theirs. So I would like some opinions.

Major: Bio
    Minor: Chem

GPA: 3.37
    Science: 3.42
    Last 45: 3.7

Animal Experience:
    ~1000 hrs small animal shelter (walking dogs)

Vet Experience:
    ~160 hrs small animal clinic
    ~60 hrs shelter medicine
    ~100 hrs Trap and neuter clinic

I really lack in the varied experience area and my grades are horrible. I am really looking for brutal honesty, because our pre-vet adviser at school is just too nice and tells everyone they should apply even if they don't have the experience or grades.
  43. orca2011

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    You're stat's really aren't that bad. Last year when I applied to go Glasgow, I had a cum GPA of like a 3.4, science of a 3.5 and last 45 at like a 3.7. I had sent them a copy of my GRE scores (1200 or 1220 depending on the school) and I had like 80 hours of small animal vet experience (shadowing), 150 hours as a zoo keeper intern, 30 hours working with horses and around 1000 hours working in a lab and got wait listed.

This year I applied again and had more veterinary experience but still all small animal. I had about 300 at the time of application but kept them updated and told them in my interview that I was starting to shadow an equine vet. This year I got in.

I would just really work on trying to increase those vet experience hours over the summer since it's what you'll have the most control of. And while they don't require the GRE, I still kind of think they like seeing the scores. Who knows, maybe sending them a copy (even unofficial) could help with the weaker GPA if you do well enough. If you're only a junior, maybe wait to apply and take some harder classes and do really well in them. I kind of had that upward trend and I think that's helped me quite a bit. Or even take a class or two over the summer. Overall, I think they try to look at the whole applicant and Joyce and everyone in the office is really nice. I would definitely email her if you have any specific questions.

In all honesty though, things vary year by year. Schools I was wait listed at last year, rejected me this year. So just go into this whole process with an open mind. It's sometimes better to think the worse and then everything is a surprise.
  44. vkajko

vkajko

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks for the advice!!! :D I am a senior, so right now I am just finishing up my upper division credits to get my B.S. I am still volunteering at all of the places mentioned above, except the small animal clinic, so my hours will be going up hugely in the summer.

I don't know when I can try to take the GRE, but I agree that it could definitely help.
  45. ovchopeful

ovchopeful

Pre-Veterinary
    Hi Everyone!

I am a recent graduate (Masters in Health Science) and am planning on applying to OVC for Sept 2013 start date.

Since OVC only looks at the 8 prereqs as well as last 2 FT semesters, I calculated my GPA from that to be around 3.6/4.0 ( Originally on a 4.3 scale). I have yet to take Biochem or Genetics (I will be this Fall) and low-balled those grades with a B+ but anticipate that I can manage atleast an A- in each based on my latest average trends.

I am studying for the MCAT as we speak, and need to do fairly well on that this September if I am going to have a shot of getting in I think...

Have you heard of students getting admission with around a 3.6?? Is this far too low to even be considered?

In terms of ECs, I am starting on these now (I have been finishing my thesis and working FT so I had no time until now to really start volunteering).

I am in the works of starting with a therapeutic riding facility to gain hours for my animal experience, as well as starting with my local vet starting this July. I work FT hours but anticipate that I can probably get around 10+ hours per week if I do evenings and weekends.

LORs
    Thesis supervisor
    Associate Dean
    (hopefully) local vet (need two)

Work Experience
    Research Assistant
    Teaching Assistant
    Customer Service Rep
    Admin. Assistant

Volunteer
    Graduation Gala Coordinator
    University Fair Assistant
  46. hopefulinva

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm not familiar with OVC, so I won't be of much help to you at all, other than giving you some general pointers.

In the States, a 3.6 is a competitive GPA for admission to vet school. Most of the schools set a minimum of around 2.5ish, which means that - technically - anything over that is considered. But of course, you'll want closer to a 3.6 to be a strong applicant. I looked for average incoming GPA at OVC but I couldn't find that information; you seem dedicated, so I'm sure you know how to work the site better than I do.

I don't see any veterinary hours in your experience? Again, I can't speak to OVC in particular, but most schools like to see some hours working under a veterinarian in some way, shape, or form. Also, you'll definitely want to keep track of your hours quantitatively as well as qualitatively; the VMCAS will request numbers of hours. Generally the more the better, although again this doesn't always hold true; a lot of schools like to see breadth in experience as well as depth (there are a number of threads on this topic on these forums).
  47. ovchopeful

ovchopeful

Pre-Veterinary
    Thanks so much for the reply Hopefulinva!

I recently went to a windreach farm, I will be assisting with therapeutic riding lessons with horse leading and side walking. They also mentioned that I can help out the equine vet some nights which I am hoping will count towards my 2nd vet clinic reference. I also plan on taking one day a week to start helping with animal care up at the farm (involving animals such as sheep, pigs and even some alpacas!), this would involve feeding, grooming, immunizations and tagging of lambs.

I also plan on doing some days with my local vet to shadow her on some surgeries and prep heart worm etc.

MCAT studying is kicking my butt... :( This is going to be a super busy year... if anyone has any tips on coping with the heavy workload while working full time, I would love to hear them!

Thanks again :)
  48. Bracco Pointer

Bracco Pointer UF CVM 2017!

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    First time applicant, 20 year old female, Florida Resident
    Cum GPA: 3.63
    Undergrad: University of Florida, Animal Science major (senior)
    Science GPA: 3.5
    GRE: 570 verbal, 690 quantitative.
    GRE Revised: 157 verbal, 163 quantitative.

Veterinary-Related Experience (will have more by the time I apply, currently working part time at both tech jobs)
    600 hours - vet tech at small animal clinic
    250 hours- ICU tech at UF Small Animal Hospital
    20 hours - misc. small animal
    40 hours - large animal, ambulatory equine

Animal-Related Experience
    10,000+hrs - Bracco Italiano dog breeder (breeding, whelping, raising, etc), dog show handler/trainer (for myself and others, in US and Europe), dog handler/trainer for hunting tests. Also co-founder/President and current Board Member and Committee Chairperson of the Bracco Italiano Club of America (national dog club). AKC mentor and "breed expert" for the Bracco.
    24hrs - ABS Artificial Insemination Technician (bovine)
    80hrs - Pet Therapy with my dog at nursing home
    60 hrs - Pet Rescue volunteer (dog walking, bathing, etc)

Employment
    Sales Associate at Western Clothing Store - 5 years

Extracurricular/Community Activities
    Pre-Vet club
    North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association
    Tomoka Woods Pointing Dog Club
    Creative Writing Club (High School)
    JV Golf/Tennis (High School)

Awards and Honors
    Dean’s List
    Florida Academic Scholars Award
    National Merit Scholar (commended, in HS)
    High School: Top 10%, National Honors Society, JV Golf and Tennis

I'm looking for suggestions to improve my application. What do you think the weak spots are, and the best ways to improve them?

I know they say not to put all your eggs in one basket, but (for a lot of reasons) Florida is my first and "only" choice. I'm praying that I get in on the first cycle, but if not then I'll apply again. I'm born and raised in Gainesville.... and I spend a lot of time here at the vet school (and love it)... once a Gator always a Gator! LOL

I'm taking classes this summer and working, but hopefully I'll have time to get more varied experience. Would it be better to focus on getting as much experience within the college hospital as possible (get to know the doctors, potential interviewers, etc?), or try to branch out (shadow more large animal vets, volunteer at horse rescue, etc)?

Also, does anybody have a good idea as to what's "competitive" with the revised GRE?

Thanks!
  49. hopefulinva

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    No problem. =) Just remember to track your hours. Most places don't require vets to sign off on them (I'd check in to OVC's policy regarding this), but they may call up your vets to make sure you actually did what you said you did. Not that you wouldn't be totally honest, just be sure you're counting your hours. ;)

I bought a Princeton Review book for the GRE and took it to work. When I was running lab I could squeeze in a few problems, and I'd do as many as I possibly could during any lunch break/downtime I had. Clinics tend to be busy, but my coworkers were all incredibly understanding. As long as we weren't swamped and I wasn't ignoring my duties, they were fine with me camping at the tech station with my book!
  50. futurehealervet

futurehealervet

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I read in the last princeton review book that 162 and up is competitive for the new GRE