What are my chances??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopefull22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.26c, 3.21s, taking the mcat this thursday. Been getting mid-to-high 20s on AAMC practice tests, hoping for at least a 28.

Over 2 years volunteer experience as an EMT, over 400 hours volunteer hours logged.
Worked for a summer full-time as a clinical student for a pediatric group.
Been involved in molecular biology research since my second semester of freshman year, presented my research at several conferences, expecting a publication soon.
Also serve on the board of directors for the volunteer ambulance corp for whom I volunteer.
Years of work experience as a lifeguard.

Biology major with a minor in philosophy. NY resident. Great LORs. AACOM application submitted 6/1.

What are my chances with northeast D.O. schools, particularly NYCOM? Any help would be extremely appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

*over 700 hours logged as a volly EMT. Oops.

Could happen, but you're also not a very competitive applicant. I'd say the odds are stacked against you. NYCOM has a 3.6/28 average currently, so an MCAT in the "High 20s" won't really do much to alleviate the low GPA. I'd apply much more broadly, and if NY is your thing, Touro is many times more realistic, though not a lock by any means.

+1

You have a decent chance, but Id also advise applying broadly and actually getting that MCAT score (I've said this on here before, but my amcas practice MCAT scores average for the last 5-6 was 35+ and I got a 30 on the real deal, so make sure you study as much as is good for you)

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all the advice! I really hope I can pull off a good mcat score to make up for my gpa, or I may just wait a year to bring it up and apply next year.

Just in case someone else finds this thread with similar stats, I ended up getting a 25 on my mcat, and I was accepted to NYCOM!

I'd say your chances are pretty good, even with the slightly lower than avg MCAT for DO programs.

3.26c, 3.21s, taking the mcat this thursday. Been getting mid-to-high 20s on AAMC practice tests, hoping for at least a 28.

Over 2 years volunteer experience as an EMT, over 400 hours volunteer hours logged.
Worked for a summer full-time as a clinical student for a pediatric group.
Been involved in molecular biology research since my second semester of freshman year, presented my research at several conferences, expecting a publication soon.
Also serve on the board of directors for the volunteer ambulance corp for whom I volunteer.
Years of work experience as a lifeguard.

Biology major with a minor in philosophy. NY resident. Great LORs. AACOM application submitted 6/1.

What are my chances with northeast D.O. schools, particularly NYCOM? Any help would be extremely appreciated!!