What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KKTam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I retook my MCAT and am now most likely forced to take 2 years off.

Initial MCAT Score: V - 11, B - 9, P - 8 W - R = 28R
Current MCAT Score: V-11, B-10, P-9, W-Q = 30Q

GPA: 3.64
SGPA: 3.55

I used to work as a dental assistant and as an intern at a public health program where I was able to shadow doctors.

At this internship I also helped to create an educational program for a health fair in New York for the Asian community teaching them about osteoporosis and its effects as well as methods of prevention.

I was the president of my fraternity in college and was on the executive board for Asian Student Council.

Currently during my year off, I am working as a medical scribe in the emergency department.

If I applied early the next cycle, what are my chances of getting into MD/DO schools and what are some suggestions you may have for what I should do during my 2nd year off?

Thanks for your feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Competitive at every DO school. Just get a DO LOR to seal the deal. MD you have below average GPA and MCAT for matriculating students and no EC's that really jump out...but they are still solid. Just apply broadly to MD and you could possibly score a couple of interviews.

Thanks for the feedback! Any good suggestions on what I should do in my 2nd year off or if I should stay a scribe?

What gcm said. I'd aim for the middle tier MD schools and as many DO schools as possible, plus your state school as well.

I think you need more paitent contact experience...you do need to show your altruism. Maybe seek out a hospice or nursing home to volunteer in; perhaps Habitat for Humanity?

Competitive at every DO school. Just get a DO LOR to seal the deal. MD you have below average GPA and MCAT for matriculating students and no EC's that really jump out...but they are still solid. Just apply broadly to MD and you could possibly score a couple of interviews.