What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GT2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you URM? What state are you from? Based on the info you provided I'd say you have a solid chance of landing an MD acceptance given you get between 31-33 on the real MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated in 2010 and since I have been working for a medical software company. I graduated with a degree in business, cGPA of 3.65 and sGPA 3.22. I was not very focused early in my college career (I never received a grade lower than a B) but my last 5 semester were just about straight As.

During this past year I took upper level undergraduate science courses (28 credits, cell bio, genetics, biochem, etc.) while working full time. My sGPA for the 28 credits is 3.87 (all As and three A-s). This brings my cGPA to 3.69 and my sGPA 3.51.

My EC include pretty extensive work with an underserved population. I work to develop health care software tools aimed at this group, I shadowed a doctor that works with this group, and I have volunteered with this group for over a year.

I am taking the MCAT in 6 weeks, and have been scoring consistently on the aamc practice exams (31-33). I am confident I will get at least a 30 on the test.

My plan is to apply broadly to about 25 MD schools, and I will be applying early in the cycle.
How many months of service with under-served populations will you have at the time you submit? What ECs did you do in college? Any interesting/memorable hobbies or artistic interests? Any activity that might pass for research?

Practice tests aren't usually that good. Unless it was the official practice test. Kaplan, Princeton Review, etc. always make them slightly easier so you think their service is amazing.

Yea those practice tests can be misleading. The first time I took the MCAT I hit a higher score than my practice tests. Then the second time I took it..I got the bottom range of the scores I was receiving on practice tests..although still higher than my first score.

Numbers look pretty good. Shoot for >30 on MCAT and you'll be fine.

I graduated in 2010 and since I have been working for a medical software company. I graduated with a degree in business, cGPA of 3.65 and sGPA 3.22. I was not very focused early in my college career (I never received a grade lower than a B) but my last 5 semester were just about straight As.

During this past year I took upper level undergraduate science courses (28 credits, cell bio, genetics, biochem, etc.) while working full time. My sGPA for the 28 credits is 3.87 (all As and three A-s). This brings my cGPA to 3.69 and my sGPA 3.51.

My EC include pretty extensive work with an underserved population. I work to develop health care software tools aimed at this group, I shadowed a doctor that works with this group, and I have volunteered with this group for over a year.

I am taking the MCAT in 6 weeks, and have been scoring consistently on the aamc practice exams (31-33). I am confident I will get at least a 30 on the test.

My plan is to apply broadly to about 25 MD schools, and I will be applying early in the cycle.

-I graduated in 2010
-cGPA of 3.65 and
-sGPA 3.22.
-my last 5 semester were just about straight As.

-During this past year I took upper level undergraduate science courses (28 credits, cell bio, genetics, biochem, etc.) while working full time. My sGPA for the 28 credits is 3.87 (all As and three A-s). This brings my cGPA to 3.69 and my sGPA 3.51.
-worked indirectly with the under-served population for over 2 years.
-I will have volunteered for over 12 months by the time I apply.

-In college I tutored elementary kids in math and science and
-I was a residence advisor.
-I also volunteered in an ER the summer before graduation.

-Hobby: Learning to sail, joining a club in the end of April to spend more time on this.
Success rates in the past for white applicants applying to MD schools with your projected stats can be seen here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=12108119&postcount=7

Your lower BCPM GPA should be compensated for by your steep recent upward grade trend and nontrad status.

Your ECs should be good to go for the nonresearch-oriented schools on your list.

Harvard will benefit from your $150ish donation.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's nothing wrong with keeping some dream schools, but NYU also has greater than 90% of acceptees listing a research experience (per the MSAR).

What exactly does "research experience" mean? Does it mean that you worked in a prof's lab making gels/running an HPLC/Mass Spec/GC for research purposes, or does it mean you worked on a team where you contributed ideas to the work? What about working for a pre-clinical animal testing laboratory? How about working R&D at a pharmaceutical company?

What exactly does "research experience" mean? Does it mean that you worked in a prof's lab making gels/running an HPLC/Mass Spec/GC for research purposes, or does it mean you worked on a team where you contributed ideas to the work? What about working for a pre-clinical animal testing laboratory? How about working R&D at a pharmaceutical company?
The designation provided by the AMCAS application is "Research/Lab" so any of the above qualify. The title you give the activity will further define your role. Many would use the designation Employment-not Military to cover paid research/ lab activities, instead. These are not reflected in the MSAR stats, so each school probably has a higher rate of research/lab experience among their acceptees than what is listed.

Unfortunately, I do not have any research experience. Will this adversely affect my application?
Nontrads generally have sufficient interesting life experiences to compensate for its lack. And other than the "top schools" per US News, which include in their their ranking formula components based on research dollars, you're likely to be fine.

10 and 11 were most predictable for me. 36 on aamc 10 34 on aamc 11. 35 on actual mcat. Keep it up and you should be fine

Ps always gave me most trouble but on actual mcat 14 10 11 who knows why lol

"I was thinking some light content review of the next few days and generally just relaxing."

Nailed it. There's nothing you can do now to really learn more (you've done a great job), just focus on getting good rest and having a good head during test day. GL