What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IBelieveInEli

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, so I'm going to be applying to the next cycle and these are the stats I'm going in with, please be honest and let me know what I should expect:

3.45 cGPA (downward trend), 3.23 sGPA, 31R MCAT. Hispanic male, FL resident (3.53 cGPA for my undergrad school since they accept forgiveness policy). Psychology major.
~100 hrs shadowing MD doctors (2 cardiologists). I can shadow a DO if necessary.
~1.5 years Orgo research lab. No publications, but the head of the research lab is also part of admissions at my school.
300 hrs volunteering for two labs (confederate and rat guy)
~200 hrs volunteering at a homeless shelter.
I've been a PLTL leader (like a tutor, but without the title) for my school's biology department for 2 years and I'm expecting an excellent LOR.
Pretty strong LORs. (A committee letter, MD letter, 2 science, 1 non, letter from PLTL)
Couple of Dean's list, member of three honors societies, and a blue belt in jiu jitsu.

Breakdown: I've wanted to be a doctor my whole life and I'll do whatever it takes, short of prostitution, to make that happen. I tanked a semester because of personal issues (1 withdrawal, a C, and a D), but since then, I've exceeded in those classes that I did poorly in and have no had a semester like that one again. I would REALLY prefer MD, but if I'm absolutely out of the race for it, then I'll do DO. I'm not picky at what MD school to go. I'm applying to 25 MD schools and 15 DO.

How am I holding up?

Members don't see this ad.

Looking pretty good! Downward trend and low sGPA will hurt you with MD schools, but being URM may counteract that. I hope you apply to my school.

Hello everyone, so I'm going to be applying to the next cycle and these are the stats I'm going in with, please be honest and let me know what I should expect:

3.45 cGPA (downward trend), 3.23 sGPA, 31R MCAT. Hispanic male, FL resident (3.53 cGPA for my undergrad school since they accept forgiveness policy). Psychology major.
~100 hrs shadowing MD doctors (2 cardiologists). I can shadow a DO if necessary.
~1.5 years Orgo research lab. No publications, but the head of the research lab is also part of admissions at my school.
300 hrs volunteering for two labs (confederate and rat guy)
~200 hrs volunteering at a homeless shelter.
I've been a PLTL leader (like a tutor, but without the title) for my school's biology department for 2 years and I'm expecting an excellent LOR.
Pretty strong LORs. (A committee letter, MD letter, 2 science, 1 non, letter from PLTL)
Couple of Dean's list, member of three honors societies, and a blue belt in jiu jitsu.

Breakdown: I've wanted to be a doctor my whole life and I'll do whatever it takes, short of prostitution, to make that happen. I tanked a semester because of personal issues (1 withdrawal, a C, and a D), but since then, I've exceeded in those classes that I did poorly in and have no had a semester like that one again. I would REALLY prefer MD, but if I'm absolutely out of the race for it, then I'll do DO. I'm not picky at what MD school to go. I'm applying to 25 MD schools and 15 DO.

How am I holding up?

URM for the win. You have a good chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Being a URM is making me feel better. And I know it's not much of a difference, but there was a typo on my sGPA. I meant 3.36.

URM really does help out more than you think. According to the charts, with your 3.36 cgpa and a 31 MCAT, you have a 67% chance of getting an acceptance as a hispanic. On the other hand, if a white person applied with your stats they would only have a 44% chance. Thats a big bump.