What are my DD's Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

artloversplus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My DD is currently 4th year in college, graduating in June, she is going to take a gap year to apply for MD schools. What are her chances with the following stats and list of potential schools? Any suggestions on switching schools? We have put in considerations in private vs public, number of OOS, acceptance rate etc into consideration. Her EC incl. research, shadowing and others, but not much clinical.

B10 P11 V12 =33 MCAT GPA 3.5 U of Chicago(Grade deflation or course rigor?)
Bio Major Resident of CA

Instate Schools

Loma Linda
UCD
UCI
UCL
UCM
USC

Out of State

Commonwealth
Creighton
Oakland Beaumont
Mich State
VCU
U VT
V Tech
Drexel
NYMC
Albany
Trulane
Rush
Temple
U Toledo
Loyola
Rosalind
Penn State
Med Coll of Wis
U Iowa
Indiana
Boston U
Brown
Thomas Jefferson
GWU

Notes: For instate, the best results might be UCD/UCM. We know GWU has 10,000 apps and they only take 1%, but with her stats, it is a crap shoot everywhere.
We will put in at least 5 DO school apps and it will include Torou because it is close to home.
Can you suggest the new schools like Rowan/Cooper, Florida International for her? would that be easier to get in?

Members don't see this ad.

With regard to IS schools: UC Merced doesn't have a medical school. If she is from the San Joaquin Valley, Davis is a strong possibility, though. Is she very religious, does she ever consume alcohol?
Has she purchased the MSAR yet?

Edit: As I look at my own questions, it occurs to me that I should only be asking them if your daughter were interested in responding, sorry. Invasive questions are only alright if there is a valid reason for asking them from the interested party.

Last edited by a moderator:
With regard to IS schools: UC Merced doesn't have a medical school. If she is from the San Joaquin Valley, Davis is a strong possibility, though. Is she very religious, does she ever consume alcohol?
Has she purchased the MSAR yet?

Edit: As I look at my own questions, it occurs to me that I should only be asking them if your daughter were interested in responding, sorry. Invasive questions are only alright if there is a valid reason for asking them from the interested party.

Do not apologize gyn, UCM took in 17 students last year, they are trained in UCD. We are not in San Joaquin County, but it can easily done.
No, she is not religious, so Loma Linda maybe out. She does not smoke, drink wines only and do not do drugs.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Do not apologize gyn, UCM took in 17 students last year, they are trained in UCD. We are not in San Joaquin County, but it can easily done.
No, she is not religious, so Loma Linda maybe out. She does not smoke, drink wins only and do not do drugs.
Part of UCD's mission statement is to provide physicians for the SJV (including Merced). One doesn't have to be from SJ County to represent this demographic but a validated commitment to serve the valley does help.

B10 P11 V12 =33 MCAT GPA 3.5 U of Chicago(Grade deflation or course rigor?)
U of C is notorious for academic rigor. Sadly, this just shafts the students and does nothing for anyone.

Can you suggest the new schools like Rowan/Cooper, Florida International for her? would that be easier to get in?

You already put in a bunch of new schools, might as well put these in to. Just be aware that the mandate of some of these places may be very geography or specialty or demographic specific. (Ie, as mentioned by gyngyn in case of Merced). Additional, the verdicts still out on institutional financial viability, future accreditation, and reputation (yes it matters! let's not be naive). That said, I highly doubt that they will have trouble persisting given the demand.

I applied all over the country and actually have friends at or finishing a number of these programs. I ended up going to a Top 20 in the Midwest. My numbers were probably a little better. Granted this was 5 years ago... I don't think things have changed so much that you have to consider DO -- unless you're really into DO, then I make no judgments.

Also, why are U of C and NU not on here? They are excellent reach schools who may look favorably on the local/home institution affiliation. Honestly I feel like this is one of those cases where some high powered letters of rec + a great essay may really power you into some interviews. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want more detailed explanations/advice on how to approach a year off.

UCL - UCL? As in UCLA? If so, then Reach.
UCSD - consider this, though still a Reach
USC - Possible/Reach
UCI - Possible/Reach
Loma Linda - Possible/Reach
UCD - Possible
UCM - new, and likely Possible
UC Riverside - Consider! new, and likely Possible

Out of State

Commonwealth - new, no impression.
Oakland Beaumont - new, no impression.

Brown - Reach (Any specific reason why you are applying here? They have a 7year program that already takes 1/3+ of their spots, further reducing your chances as a post-grad applicant.)
GWU - possible/reach
Tulane - possible/reach
Boston U - possible/reach
Med Coll of Wis - possible/reach
Mich State - possible
VCU - possible
U VT - possible
V Tech - possible
Drexel - possible
Rush - possible
Temple - possible
U Toledo - possible
Loyola - possible
Penn State - possible
Thomas Jefferson - possible
U Iowa - possible
Indiana - possible
Creighton - possible
NYMC - possible+
Albany - possible+
Rosalind - possible+

Thank you so mach for all your inputs.

We feel IS only UCD is a possibility, the others we will put in just for the sake of applying. Yes UCL is UCLA
We throw in Brown, it was one of her dream schools for UG and if we lucky enough to get in that will be great, it is a high reach. We could replace that with NU if that will help.
U of C med school is notorious anti-U of C UG students, however, since you mentioned research, she jointly published two papers with U of C medical professors, would that count? But her stats is no where near U of C standards.

What about MD/Phd program like U Toledo has for example?

Last edited:
Thank you so mach for all your inputs.

We feel IS only UCD is a possibility, the others we will put in just for the sake of applying.
We throw in Brown, it was one of her dream schools for UG and if we lucky enough to get in that will be great, it is a high reach. We could replace that with NU if that will help.
U of C med school is notorious anti-U of C UG students, however, since you mentioned research, she jointly published two papers with U of C medical professors, would that count? But her stats is no where near U of C standards.

What about MD/Phd program like U Toledo has for example?

It would be worth applying to U of C and NU with letters from those docs she worked with. The academic MD communities in Chicago are often are well known to one another and their word often carry weight. I know this from personal experience.

MD/PhD is not an easy road, arguably tougher than standard M.D.. I considered this, but t I never actually went through with the process, so I can't give you accurate advice.

I am wondering why you are posting this and not your daughter. I get the vibe of helicopter parenting here.
^^ I stick my nose in because I will have a stake in her MD school costs.

Reactions: 1 user
I have to wonder where this ends. Realistically she should be able to cover everything herself through loans, you are just giving additional financial support that is beneficial, but unnecessary. Hopefully you don't plan to tell her which residencies to shoot for or which school she has to pick.

I get uneasy thinking that someone who is very close to being a doctor in charge of the lives of others is still having her life run by her parents.

Maybe that is not the case, but that is what this seems like to me.

Reactions: 2 users

I sat next to some girl's mom at an interview. It was awkward when I asked her, "What did you do before applying to medical school?" and she told me she was the mom. Not sure if the school tracks these things, but my opinion of the applicant's independence and maturity definitely decreased.

Sorry to give an impression of helicoptering. For the past 4 years, we rarely got involved with DD's life. We did not know exactly what her classes, grades, boy friends and life on campus, it is in Chicago and we are in CA. We helped her move in, move out to apartments and saw her in the summer, even that is probably lasted no more than one month as she did her research projects in Chicago.

She was spear headed to became a neuroscience researcher, we did not know her desire to be an MD until one day few months ago that she is heading for MACT. Not until she got the MACT scores in Feb. she asked us for help, as she is preparing for finals. We are just doing the grunt work to screen for schools, she would have the final saying to our work and we are and will be just the check writer.

Last edited:
Make sure you're aware of the price tag of Florida International University for someone OOS, especially since you're be writing the check. Cost of attendance is right around ~$100,000/yr.

Members don't see this ad :)
Goro suggests

Loma Linda
UCD
Commonwealth
Creighton
Oakland Beaumont
VCU
V Tech
Drexel
NYMC
Albany
Trulane
Rush
Temple
U Toledo
Loyola
Rosalind
Penn State
Med Coll of Wis
Boston U
Thomas Jefferson
GWU
All new MD programs
Any DO program

There are a few other private OOS schools she should consider where she would be competitive: St. Louis, Western Michigan, Quinnipiac, Hofstra, Rochester, Einstein, Georgetown. Also Sacramento Northstate was scheduled to open this year but appears to have postponed their opening to 2015. It is a private school but close to home.

Make sure you're aware of the price tag of Florida International University for someone OOS, especially since you're be writing the check. Cost of attendance is right around ~$100,000/yr.
Thank you, my budget will be around 250K, not half a million.

Also thanks to Goro, it is great to learn how to cut the chase.

Reactions: 1 user
"I get uneasy thinking that someone who is very close to being a doctor in charge of the lives of others is still having her life run by her parents."

My thoughts^. It isn't very difficult to spend a little bit of time posting and looking through MSAR. You shouldn't be getting your parents to look this stuff up for you. No one is THAT busy that they can't spend time surfing the web during study breaks to look into these things.

Sorry, had to throw in teh 2 cents. It always makes me feel off when I see these kinds of posts.

Your daughter should be posting here. I think this doing the grunt work thing is an excuse for helicopter parenting. The first post about costs was really telling about an abrasive attitude.

No, she is not religious, so Loma Linda maybe out. She does not smoke, drink wines only and do not do drugs.

Just a FYI gyngyn is an Adcom at a CA school so she does know what she is talking about.

I know you claim to be helping her and that you are not a helicopter parent but all of your posts scream something else. Is she applying in June 2014? IMO I don't think she is anywhere near ready to apply in June. Whether you want to admit it this whole process is life changing and it needs to be her process not yours . It's great you will be paying for med school but you really need to send her the link to student doc and this thread in particular and let her figure stuff out. In the meantime she needs to get some significant clinical and non-clinical experience.

Thanks to all replied, I have move the thread to my DD and I'll rest my case.

Tp13 ' s suggestion is to have your daughter post for herself

Does DD stand for "dear daughter"?

I'm seriously asking.