DO What are my DO chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bloodandguts

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just learned DO schools don't count math in the science GPA, which is going to hurt me a bit.

I have a 3.69 GPA overall, but without math, a 3.21 science GPA. I have a 27 MCAT, 200 hours of clinical experience, 150 hours of community service, 80 hours of shadowing, white, and 300 hours of research experience.

I'm a little less confident since I learned math doesn't count.

How bad off am I? What sort of DO schools would be a good fit for me?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
All the DO chance givers must be sleeping . . .

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Stay away from the schools that like higher MCAT scores (All the Touro's, Western, AZCOM, CCOM, PCOM, NYIT etc) and you should have an OK shot. That being said, I'm definitely not a DO admissions guru like other's are. A mix of mid-tier and newer schools will fit you best

So I just learned DO schools don't count math in the science GPA, which is going to hurt me a bit.

I have a 3.72 GPA overall, but without math, a 3.21 science GPA. I have a 27 MCAT, 200 hours of clinical experience, 150 hours of community service, 80 hours of shadowing, white, and 300 hours of research experience.

I'm a little less confident since I learned math doesn't count.

How bad off am I? What sort of DO schools would be a good fit for me?
Apply to any 15-20 schools of your choice, avoid CCOM, AZCOM, and OOS public schools, and you should be good to go.

Apply to any 15-20 schools of your choice, avoid CCOM, AZCOM, and OOS public schools, and you should be good to go.

Well, it took a few days to keep some replies but the relief is tangible right now. Say I took a few upper-division Bio classes my senior year and did mediocre, B's and C, will that harm me a lot to have that downward trend?

I mean, the classes aren't even required, and are meant to be harder, I took them so I could flex my brain before medical school one last time because I doubted I was ready from just the pre-reqs, since I wasn't a science major. It hurt my science GPA a bit but I feel like I'm in a lot better place mentally to tackle medical school than I was a year ago. I hope my mental work out doesn't keep me from playing the real thing.

yes, it will hurt you. med school classes will be much harder than undergrad classes, upper-division or not

For a DO app your GPA is above average, MCAT is right in the mix and your sGPA is high enough that if you apply broadly you should have a decent shot.

yes, it will hurt you. med school classes will be much harder than undergrad classes, upper-division or not

Well, just taking pre-reqs, I had a 3.55 sGPA. Would have made my application "look" a lot better while being a worse candidate. I do not believe we are stuck with the ability we are born with but you need to push yourself and I pushed myself in these hard classes to increase my ability before entering medical school. I hope it doesn't hurt me too badly application wise but as long as I get in, I think I am better prepared, even if I closed some doors to higher-ranked schools.

what it looks like you found out was that you are going to have trouble handling more difficult classes

that said you'll get in somewhere