What are my health insurance options as an incoming M1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thegypsyqueen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am under the impression it depends on your state whether students can go on medicaid. If your state allows you to go for it!

Reactions: 1 user
I used my school's plan. All and all it's pretty crappy, but it's easy to sign up for.

I imagine using a plan from an ACA exchange would be cheaper than your school's offered plan, but it'll depend on the available plans. You likely won't qualify for Medicaid as you technically have "income" that is likely over that of the federal poverty line (FPL). For a single person, the FPL is $11k/year. Each state's criteria for Medicaid will vary, but I imagine it's anywhere from 133% to 200% of the FPL. If your school is anything like mine, the COL portion of your budget will be greater than that (roughly $26k at my school).

Members don't see this ad :)
wow didn't realize we would be eligible for medicaid.

For the most part, Medicaid sucks in most places. It's generally tough to find providers and coverage can be poor. Fortunately it's pretty good around here in New York. My GF was on Medicaid while she was a student several years ago, and I was impressed at how good her plan was.

I used my school's plan. All and all it's pretty crappy, but it's easy to sign up for.

I imagine using a plan from an ACA exchange would be cheaper than your school's offered plan, but it'll depend on the available plans. You likely won't qualify for Medicaid as you technically have "income" that is likely over that of the federal poverty line (FPL). For a single person, the FPL is $11k/year. Each state's criteria for Medicaid will vary, but I imagine it's anywhere from 133% to 200% of the FPL. If your school is anything like mine, the COL portion of your budget will be greater than that (roughly $26k at my school).

I was told two years ago that I had too much "unearned income" to qualify for Medicaid in Pennsylvania. All I had were student loans.

For the most part, Medicaid sucks in most places. It's generally tough to find providers and coverage can be poor. Fortunately it's pretty good around here in New York. My GF was on Medicaid while she was a student several years ago, and I was impressed at how good her plan was.
My school's insurance plan seems really expensive, so I will have to look into this.

What is the average coast of a grad student insurance plan anyway?

I am an incoming M1 and need to acquire health insurance. So I am wondering what my options are. I know that I can get a plan through my school but it is quite expensive and I feel like I have to be able to do better. The facts:
1. School plan=3500/yr
2. Not eligible to remain on parent's plan
3. Will not have income during M1
4. School requires Gold or Platinum plan (as rated by healthcare.gov) and catastrophic coverage is a full on no go.

I submitted a application to healthcare.gov, but was surprised to see it wanted to consider me for medicaid. Is this right? I guess I assumed graduate students would be precluded from medicaid but it never asked for my school status. I don't want this to devolve into a political argument. I just want some advice on my best option, please. Thank you in advance for any replies with advice/knowledge.

What are you other non-insured M1-M4's doing?
At my school, you are required to either be covered by a spouse, by a parent, or by the school. There is an exception for Canadians with coverage through the Canadian healthcare system (forget the name). They won't allow anyone to simply buy their own plan, regardless of the terms and coverage of that plan. Check with those at your school, the students if the school itself doesn't have anything helpful, to see what your best options are.