What are my matching chances after passing Step 1 on 3rd attempt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mapplicant

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

As title states, I only passed Step 1 on my 3rd attempt with a 200 (first two attempts were just barely below the passing mark) and thus had to take a short leave due to school policy to study up and finally pass it. Step 2 CK and CS passed on 1st attempt, so happy about that at least. Otherwise rest of my app isn't too competitive: no publications, few ECs, did get some honors in my core rotations. Below avg coursework grades/GPA. But some positives going for me: US senior, should have strong LORs.

I know that my chances are definitely lowered with my poor step 1 performance and being an overall below avg applicant so my plan is to at least apply to 100+ psych programs, if not all 183 (according to FRIEDA). I'm hoping for 20 interviews and at this point I'll likely rank all places I'm interviewed at.

Basically, goal is to receive the good news when March 11th, 2013 comes around and I have matched somewhere. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

The US grad part makes you still likely to match. Apply broadly and interview well.

I had a classmate that failed step 1 once and failed rotations as well. He matched into a well known university program - not top 25 but still good. That's only 1 person, but with broad applications, I'd be fairly confident.

Agree with TP. You'll match somewhere if you apply broadly enough and come across well in an interview. You'd be wise to devote some time to doing mock interviews, because a lot will hinge on this.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all.

As title states, I only passed Step 1 on my 3rd attempt with a 200 (first two attempts were just barely below the passing mark) and thus had to take a short leave due to school policy to study up and finally pass it. Step 2 CK and CS passed on 1st attempt, so happy about that at least. Otherwise rest of my app isn't too competitive: no publications, few ECs, did get some honors in my core rotations. Below avg coursework grades/GPA. But some positives going for me: US senior, should have strong LORs.

I know that my chances are definitely lowered with my poor step 1 performance and being an overall below avg applicant so my plan is to at least apply to 100+ psych programs, if not all 183 (according to FRIEDA). I'm hoping for 20 interviews and at this point I'll likely rank all places I'm interviewed at.

Basically, goal is to receive the good news when March 11th, 2013 comes around and I have matched somewhere. What do you guys think?

You *will* match. There is no doubt about it. There are american img's that have matched with multiple step 1 failures in psych.

I *would not* apply to 100 programs. I'd select about 35-40 programs that are less competitive to mid competitive and apply to the ones in a regions where you think you would like to be. Avoid applying to california programs, and avoid applying to "name" programs in new york. But I wouldnt only apply to "the worst" programs.....in fact, some of those only fill with img's and your amg status may not be seen as as much a plus there.....

if you don't have any ethical issues in your app and you seem like a decent enough sort to work with, I think you've got a decent shot at fairly typical run of the mill ordinary university programs at many places....you certainly arent headed to UCSF, but you arent headed to meharry or lsu-shreveport either most likely

Any thoughts on what are some run-of-the-mill university programs? I don't have any Step failures, but I want a solid base of average programs to apply to.

Hello all.

I agree that you don't need 100 places. Save some money there. Skip the snobby places (Ivy's, Duke, Hopkins, etc). I'd say 30 well chosen apps would do it. Maybe 50 if you're REALLY paranoid. I wouldn't do 100.

*Note* This is assuming that you are legitimately interested in psych. We get a lot of apps from people who think it's the best choice among few options, but don't truly love the field. Make sure your LOR's are good and that you've shown good interest by doing at least an elective if you can, and write a great personal statement. Be sure to especially answer the "Why Psych" question well.

Good luck!

Any thoughts on what are some run-of-the-mill university programs? I don't have any Step failures, but I want a solid base of average programs to apply to.

area you are looking in?

university of new mexico. the arizona programs(like all three) are all pretty sketch. unlv is noncompetitive.

what about non-university, yet solid, california community programs

Agree with U New Mexico. By all accounts a great program. I'm not saying you should write off Cali, but it's going to be more competitive due to location. With that in mind, I'd advise you to broaden your horizons just a bit. UNM could be a place where you could get in AND get superb training. The same likely wouldn't be said of a non-competitive community program in CA.

Agree with U New Mexico. By all accounts a great program. I'm not saying you should write off Cali, but it's going to be more competitive due to location. With that in mind, I'd advise you to broaden your horizons just a bit. UNM could be a place where you could get in AND get superb training. The same likely wouldn't be said of a non-competitive community program in CA.

UNM is fully on my radar. In other words, I'm trying to look for back-ups to programs like UNM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cali isn't impossible, but I'd consider it to be the most competitive state across the board arguably.

I don't understand the fuss about CA. Been there and TX is better/cheaper. :)

Connections, that is all. Problem with Texas is it's hot as ****. And a paucity of nature.

UNM is fully on my radar. In other words, I'm trying to look for back-ups to programs like UNM.

is there something about your app that makes you a really poor candidate? unm is certainly not a competitive program in general......iow, for most people it is a back up type place

3 attempts at step 1 will worry some places. Yes, even in psych.

is there something about your app that makes you a really poor candidate? unm is certainly not a competitive program in general......iow, for most people it is a back up type place

1 remediated class 1st year. average student. and a DO.

3 attempts at step 1 will worry some places. Yes, even in psych.

of course it will....and thats why he should apply to more places than applicants with no failures.

failing twice is a BIG red flag.

But assuming he is a US grad who did show an interest in psych, did ok on clinical rotations, and speaks good english.....well, then programs are going to have to decide whether they want him(US grad, familar with system, speaks good english) vs some of the IMGs out there who quite franky dont possess some of those same qualities.....and most programs are going to go with the US grad. As long as there werent a binch of other red flags raised.......

Agreed. Cali is less DO friendly, but 99% of programs don't care.

Why did you take the USMLE at all? Almost every psych program accepts COMLEX. How did you do on COMLEX?

For Cali, your best bet might be the DO programs, if you're that set on location.

university of new mexico. the arizona programs(like all three) are all pretty sketch. unlv is noncompetitive.

What do you mean by az programs are sketch?

Sent from my PC36100 using SDN Mobile

I have a friend who failed step 1 like 6-8 times, something ridiculous. Obviously put her back two years, but she matched last March. Miracles do happen.

I have a friend who failed step 1 like 6-8 times, something ridiculous. Obviously put her back two years, but she matched last March. Miracles do happen.

How does that work out failing step 1 that many times. I feel like most states (I know of at least 2 for sure) that require all boards are passed within 3 attempts or they will not grant you a license to practice. Due to this reason the school I went to required it to be passed by third attempt or you were essentially kicked out.

How does that work out failing step 1 that many times. I feel like most states (I know of at least 2 for sure) that require all boards are passed within 3 attempts or they will not grant you a license to practice. Due to this reason the school I went to required it to be passed by third attempt or you were essentially kicked out.

The state I trained in was the same, but the state I'm currently in doesn't have that restriction. Instead, you have to pass everything within a certain time frame, but I don't think there's any maximum number of failures allowed. Actually, I think the states with the 3 attempts are a minority and stricter than most.

BTW, OP, I would avoid any states with that rule because programs there would likely be more hesitant to take you on.

Hello all.

I agree that if you apply broadly and interview well you'll match. Remember, there are something like two spots for every us grad (don't have the exact numbers in front of me).

The US grad part makes you still likely to match. Apply broadly and interview well.

I had a classmate that failed step 1 once and failed rotations as well. He matched into a well known university program - not top 25 but still good. That's only 1 person, but with broad applications, I'd be fairly confident.

Thanks for the reassurance. As others have mentioned below, the big red flag is my 3 step 1 attempts. Otherwise I have no failed rotations nor any other ethical problems so that's good.

Agree with TP. You'll match somewhere if you apply broadly enough and come across well in an interview. You'd be wise to devote some time to doing mock interviews, because a lot will hinge on this.

Agreed. Interview will be a major factor. A broad range of places to apply to will definitely be another thing I'll do. I'm still thinking maybe close to 100 places, since I want to totally minimize the chance of me not matching.

You *will* match. There is no doubt about it. There are american img's that have matched with multiple step 1 failures in psych.

I *would not* apply to 100 programs. I'd select about 35-40 programs that are less competitive to mid competitive and apply to the ones in a regions where you think you would like to be. Avoid applying to california programs, and avoid applying to "name" programs in new york. But I wouldnt only apply to "the worst" programs.....in fact, some of those only fill with img's and your amg status may not be seen as as much a plus there.....

if you don't have any ethical issues in your app and you seem like a decent enough sort to work with, I think you've got a decent shot at fairly typical run of the mill ordinary university programs at many places....you certainly arent headed to UCSF, but you arent headed to meharry or lsu-shreveport either most likely

Thanks for the words of encouragement. While I'm not a stellar applicant, the step 1 was the big set back for me (no failed rotations or otherwise ethical/unprofessional issues). Although personally I'm thinking more than just 40 programs. To me the few bucks spent on ERAS to get as many interviews as possible is small price to pay to maximize chance of me securing a job for the next 4 years. Not to mention I enjoy talking with the patients and I genuinely think they are really interesting to work with.

I agree that you don't need 100 places. Save some money there. Skip the snobby places (Ivy's, Duke, Hopkins, etc). I'd say 30 well chosen apps would do it. Maybe 50 if you're REALLY paranoid. I wouldn't do 100.

*Note* This is assuming that you are legitimately interested in psych. We get a lot of apps from people who think it's the best choice among few options, but don't truly love the field. Make sure your LOR's are good and that you've shown good interest by doing at least an elective if you can, and write a great personal statement. Be sure to especially answer the "Why Psych" question well.

Good luck!

I am genuinely interested in the psychiatry field. I have been doing psych rotations for these last few months and will definitely get good LORs as well as crafting a good personal statement. Interview will also be a key for me. While my step 1 did limit my choices, I am in no way "settling" for psychiatry!

Cali isn't impossible, but I'd consider it to be the most competitive state across the board arguably.

I don't understand the fuss about CA. Been there and TX is better/cheaper. :)

I really like Texas and will definitely apply broadly there. Currently I live up north and hate the winter/snow so would love to go to some place balmier.

of course it will....and thats why he should apply to more places than applicants with no failures.

failing twice is a BIG red flag.

But assuming he is a US grad who did show an interest in psych, did ok on clinical rotations, and speaks good english.....well, then programs are going to have to decide whether they want him(US grad, familar with system, speaks good english) vs some of the IMGs out there who quite franky dont possess some of those same qualities.....and most programs are going to go with the US grad. As long as there werent a binch of other red flags raised.......

No other big issues other than the step 1. Not a stellar applicant in terms of grades/research, but have good comments from rotations that I've done and I am great team player. I think my LORs, personal statement, and especially the interview process will truly be key to a successful match.

I agree that if you apply broadly and interview well you'll match. Remember, there are something like two spots for every us grad (don't have the exact numbers in front of me).

Just looked at the NRMP data for 2012 and it looks like of the 1118 psych positions offered, about 55% were filled by US seniors on avg across the nation. Of course it depends on where you apply as well. The state data shows CA psych positions filled by 75% of US Seniors where as state like MO 45% of the positions were filled by US seniors.

Would the responses still be the same if the OP had applied in 2016?

Last edited:
I think the AZ programs are better now and there have been a few new programs out west. I think overall things are a little tighter but maybe not in the West as it has expanded. I was looking at a list of board pass rates and there were several without % as they haven't graduated anyone yet.

Consider emailing some program directors requesting an interview during interview season because many programs would have already pre-screened you out given your board scores.

The OP is probably already out in practice. This was from 2012.

I don't think so.... Passing with a low score even on first attempt might make it difficult to match anywhere now...

There's no good evidence to support that position. My question was mostly directed towards PDs and the like who might have access to newer info than what is in Charting Outcomes 2014. (FYI, Charting Outcomes 2014 says that US Seniors with a Step 1 failure still have >85% chance of matching in psychiatry.)

There's no good evidence to support that position. My question was mostly directed towards PDs and the like who might have access to newer info than what is in Charting Outcomes 2014. (FYI, Charting Outcomes 2014 says that US Seniors with a Step 1 failure still have >85% chance of matching in psychiatry.)
Things are changing very rapidly, my friend. So if someone did not pass step 1 on first attempt with a decent score (225+), that individual must be prepared to apply to 100+ programs and be willing to go anywhere. It's no secret that psych is a lot more competitive today than it was 2 years ago!

So if someone did not pass step 1 on first attempt with a decent score (225+), that individual must be prepared to apply to 100+ programs and be willing to go anywhere.

You have any evidence for this?

Last edited:
You have any evidence for this?

No, he doesn't.

@W19, I mean this with sincere compassion: FFS please stop ranting about midlevels in one thread, clogging up the WAMCs in other threads (which is intended to help people applying this year), and publicly freaking out about your upcoming Step 1! Get off SDN and just study damnit!! If you're struggling with anxiety, see a psychologist now. They can offer effective advice, even in acute situations like this. The only thing that matters within your circle of control right now is how much you study. That's it. It might be overwhelming and anxiety-provoking to even look at FA, but a psychologist might be help you to better manage those feelings. Come on man. You can do this!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users