What are my options? My GPA is awful

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wolverine93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently graduated from a very competitive university.

My current stats are:

2.86 cumulative GPA, 2.5 science GPA, and a 23 MCAT (9 bio, 8 physical, and 6 verbal).

It's no excuse, but I had a really hard time controlling my anxiety and keeping up in my science classes. I really did try though. I started off pretty badly as a freshman, but I improved significantly from my sophomore to junior year. Senior year wasn't so great because I took on too many commitments and my anxiety got pretty bad.

I know I screwed up GPA wise and my MCAT isn't hot, so please don't be mean. Everyone tells me to give up on medicine and I refuse to do so.

Does anyone out there have any ideas for an alternative path to medicine? I've essentially given up on the idea of attending an American M.D. school.

I'm thinking of applying to American University of the Caribbean and SABA because they seem to be more likely to accept me than SGU, for example.

I'm thinking of potentially retaking my MCAT in August/September and applying to the January cycle for the Caribbean if I don't get in the September cycle.

What do you guys think? I would appreciate any constructive advice. Should I do a post bacc or master's program in a hard science? I still feel with my undergrad GPA American med schools will reject me.

Members don't see this ad.