What are my options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meditation007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
MS3 at DO school on rotations
Finished rotation 1 and am currently on an elective

Took Step 1 and ended up failing USMLE and receiving 470 on COMLEX I...

Middle third of class quartile. Honors on first rotation.

What are my options?
-Only apply DO residencies
-Retake USMLE
-Is a dualy accredited AOA/ACGME IM residency still an option for me? Or is my board score too low
-What specialties/fields are still realistic for me?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't bother with USMLE. Your best bests are with AOA programs, or ACGME programs that have taken grads from your school in the past.

I don't think ACGME programs are going to rank a candidate with only a failing grade on the USMLE.

OP needs to lay out a list of fields they actually want to go into. If they want EM or Gas for example, then retaking the usmle isn't worth it and should just focus on AOA match.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Okay thank you for all the responses. Will try to score better on Step II (6oo)

Is it worthwhile to apply to a AOA/ACGME dualy certified IM residency which is in my hometown and do my away rotations there with a better COMLEX II? (Is this is a waste of a rotation?)

Or would it be more beneficial to do my rotations at only AOA accredited IM residency programs as my board scores are lower?

Don't bother with USMLE. Your best bests are with AOA programs, or ACGME programs that have taken grads from your school in the past.

Did you miss the part about failing step 1? I'm assuming you don't intend on retaking it so ACGME programs are generally out. You may find some programs that might overlook that in lieu of your level 1 score but I wouldn't count on it. You can't skip the AOA match so it's a moot point.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Did you miss the part about failing step 1? I'm assuming you don't intend on retaking it so ACGME programs are generally out. You may find some programs that might overlook that in lieu of your level 1 score but I wouldn't count on it. You can't skip the AOA match so it's a moot point.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I think some uncompetitive psych or fm residencies may take him on the acgme side. But even then if that's the goal retaking the usmle may be beneficial.

I think some uncompetitive psych or fm residencies may take him on the acgme side. But even then if that's the goal retaking the usmle may be beneficial.
I don't think psych is a safe bet these days--even for MD students who score low (less than 210) on step1 (1 attempt).

I don't think ACGME programs are going to rank a candidate with only a failing grade on the USMLE.

OP needs to lay out a list of fields they actually want to go into. If they want EM or Gas for example, then retaking the usmle isn't worth it and should just focus on AOA match.
wait why are you guys telling him to apply aoa? I thought AOA spots were gone now because of the merger?

I don't think psych is a safe bet these days--even for MD students who score low (less than 210) on step1 (1 attempt).
Why do you keep saying this despite be called out by multiple people for it being completely unfounded? In 2014 of the 235 US seniors with Step 1 scores ≤210 who applied for psych residencies, 17 (7%) didn't match.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

I think maybe for a DO, but plenty of psych programs still state that they prefer applicants with usmles above 200. Clearly some programs have higher averages, but generally it didn't explode in competitiveness as SDN likes to pretend. It's still a field that is based on personality not board scores.

MS3 at DO school on rotations
Finished rotation 1 and am currently on an elective

Took Step 1 and ended up failing USMLE and receiving 470 on COMLEX I...

Middle third of class quartile. Honors on first rotation.

What are my options?
-Only apply DO residencies
-Retake USMLE
-Is a dualy accredited AOA/ACGME IM residency still an option for me? Or is my board score too low
-What specialties/fields are still realistic for me?

Thanks.
DO family practice residency is your best chance.