What are my PT school chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ferros37

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
University: Rowan University
Major: Biology
Overall GPA (PTCAS): 3.11
Pre-Req GPA: 3.12
GRE: 146V, 147Q, 4.0AW
PTCAS Submit Date: 7/22/2012
PTCAS Mailing Date: 8/1/2012

Extra-Curric: University Resident Assistant my junior year, volunteer marine biology research assistant, biology and PRE-SOMA club member.

PT Related Employment: I currently work as a pre diem rehabilitation aide in a geriatric sub-acute care facility at a hospital. I also will be working part time as a therapy technician in a acute rehab center (start date: 9/17)

Volunteer: 405 Verified Hours of observation, 30 hours inpatient rehab, 41 hours in an outpatient hospital setting, and the remaining 334 hours are divided up between 3 different private practices where I have observed pediatrics, geriatrics, neurological therapy, and orthopedics.

Applied: LIU-Brooklyn, UMDNJ-Stratford, Richard Stockton, Scranton, Pitt, Arcadia, Widener, Thomas Jefferson, Drexel, University of Maryland-Baltimore, VCU, UNF, St. Augustine FL, USF, University of Florida

Interviews: N/A

Denied: University of Maryland-Baltimore

From an academic standpoint I'm a little worried about my chances due to my low GPA and GRE but from a non-academic standpoint I feel like I've put together a solid application. I know I got really good references and worked really hard to write some great essays, some of the best I've ever written. What do you think my chances are? I did not apply early decision but I got my applications in super early cause I heard it can help your chances a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

its really hard to look at someones stats and tell them if they have a shot or not. ive seen people who have had gre's below the minimum that a certain school required and still got accepted and vice versa. usually if you have low gre or academic scores, your lor and essay will be your selling point. dont write yourself off because you have low stats, just see what happens. it all depends on the admission committee and what specifically theyre looking for.

Thank you hopefully things will work out, I actually have an update on my stats/credentials:

Extra-Curric: University Resident Assistant my junior year, volunteer marine biology research assistant, biology and PRE-SOMA club member.

PT Related Employment: I currently work as a pre diem rehabilitation aide in a geriatric sub-acute care facility at a hospital. I also will be working part time as a therapy technician in a acute rehab inpatient center and I also recently got a job working as a physical therapy aide part time at an orthopedic and geriatric outpatient private practice.

Volunteer: 405 Verified Hours of observation, 30 hours inpatient rehab, 41 hours in an outpatient hospital setting, and the remaining 334 hours are divided up between 3 different private practices where I have observed pediatrics, geriatrics, neurological therapy, and orthopedics.

Applied: LIU-Brooklyn, UMDNJ-Stratford, Richard Stockton, Scranton, Pitt, Arcadia, Widener, Thomas Jefferson, Drexel, University of Maryland-Baltimore, VCU, UNF, St. Augustine FL, USF, University of Florida, NYIT, Clarkson University

Interviews: NYIT (10/19)

Denied: University of Maryland-Baltimore, Arcadia

Accepted: N/A

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so thankful that NYIT offered me the interview I'm currently preparing for it and continuing to play the waiting game with my other schools.

Going off just your numbers, I would assume you're in a bad spot, but your resume as a whole is actually quite good.

Like nicole said above, there's really no consistency to acceptances sometimes. I know a girl who actually got waitlisted with a 4.0 gpa and a very high GRE. There are lots of people with stats worse than yours who get into top tier schools first try.

Good luck with your interview and I hope you get more from the other schools

speaking as a student currently attending Arcadia, I would have said that they would prob send you a letter with the "we regret to inform you..." only bc they make an emphasis on good overall GPA and a good extra-curricular activities, and good diversity in observation settings. Are all those hundreds upon hundreds of Observation hours actually observation hours. I went to one interview where they asked another person about all their hours of observation and they wanted clarification if they were actually observing a PT or if they were working in a PT setting. Some schools wont count working as an aide or tech as part of your observation hours. Just a heads up incase they interview you and ask for clarity. but the above poster is right, GPA-wise its not a great situation, so you have to make up for that with LOR and interviews. Let them know you are more than capable than what your GPA reflects

You might get in, but your pre-req GPA is going to limit your chances and options. If you don't get in, then it's probably because your pre-req GPA is too low. Try to retake some of your pre-reqs and raise that pre-req GPA to 3.5-3.6. Then you'll have a solid application. I know GPA is just prima facie, but schools do look at it, and need a quick way to reject applicants.

Kevin

Does the fact that I majored in Biology have any weight to it? I exceeded the minimum prerequisite courses as I have taken Organic Chemistry 1 and 2, Biological Statistics, Microbiology, and a number of upper level biological sciences courses as well. My GPA reflects my grade point average with those courses factored in and without any retakes in any classes throughout my undergraduate career, I also took all my prereqs at a 4 year college and again not one retake. You think with all this factored in they may look past the 3.1-3.2 overall and prereq GPA?

^ I also wanted to add that I have never dropped a course either.

Also, unlike my GPA, I don't exactly have an explanation for my GRE scores, I'm just not a great standardized test taker however I know this is not a valid excuse and what schools want to hear.

Clarkson University, University of South Florida, Scranton University, New York Institute of Technology,and Thomas Jefferson do not require the GRE test. With what I stated regarding my GPA what do you think my chances are at one of these schools, as they will overlook my GRE scores?

your undergrad major doesn't matter because everyone still has to take the same prereqs regardless of major. Difficulty of classes and grade trends are a factor. Pretty much pre req is what they look for. I think it's good you haven't dropped any, but I doubt that would be a deciding factor.

I agree that the prereq GPA itself matters more than your specific major. Besides, lots of PT students were Bio majors and took the classes that you mentioned. The only major more popular than Bio is Exercise Science (see pg28: http://www.apta.org/uploadedFiles/A...APTA/PTCAS/2010_11_PTCAS_ApplicantDataRpt.pdf) Also, most schools don't care whether you did your prereqs at a 4-year or 2-year college. I think it actually would look a lot better if you did retake classes to raise your prereq GPA, as it shows schools that you are making the effort. Also, if you show an upward trend in grades, schools usually notice that as well.

Last edited:
Yeah if I don't get into a program during this cycle I'm going to be retaking a couple prereqs for sure. We will see what happens, I submitted my application extremely early so I feel like I've been waiting forever to hear from more schools. Hopefully soon, I added West Virginia University to my list of designations on PTCAS as well. Something that I have been doing also is sending updated resumes to the schools. Everything on them is also on my PTCAS application but I wanted to highlight some of the things that I have been doing and to get my name out there to the schools.

I'm also just preparing a bit for my NYIT interview on the 19th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck with that interview, and let us know how it goes!

Thank you I appreciate all your feedback. I wanted to ask if anyone knew of any information regarding UK's (University of Kentucky's) PT program, do you think it would be wise to apply there with my stats? Be brutally honest please. And can anyone share more information about the program?

(Slight) Update:

PT Related Employment: I currently work as a pre diem rehabilitation aide in a geriatric sub-acute care facility at a hospital. I also will be working part time as a therapy technician in a acute rehab inpatient center at HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital. I am also a part time Physical Therapy Aide at Ivy Rehabilitation outpatient center.

Volunteer: 510 Verified Hours of observation/paid PT related experience, 30 hours inpatient rehab, 41 hours in an outpatient hospital setting, and the remaining 439 hours are divided up between 3 different private practices where I have observed pediatrics, geriatrics, neurological therapy, and orthopedics. This includes my stated employment experiences in PT.

Applied: LIU-Brooklyn, UMDNJ-Stratford, Richard Stockton, Scranton, Pitt, Arcadia, Widener, Thomas Jefferson, Drexel, University of Maryland-Baltimore, VCU, UNF, St. Augustine FL, USF, University of Florida, NYIT, Clarkson University, WVU

Denied: University of Maryland-Baltimore, Arcadia

Accepted: N/A

Thank you I appreciate all your feedback. I wanted to ask if anyone knew of any information regarding UK's (University of Kentucky's) PT program, do you think it would be wise to apply there with my stats? Be brutally honest please. And can anyone share more information about the program?

How did your interview at NYIT go? Did you hear back? What was the process like and what did you think of the school?
I have an interview there on 11/9 and its my first of the 12 I've applied to this cycle, so I'm very nervous

well since you said be honest, no it would not be wise to waste your money to apply there. I applied to 5 of the schools you did last year, including Kentucky (one of the few I didn't get into). You can still apply b/c you never know what will happen, but if you are asking if you should apply based just on your stats- then I would lean towards the "not to apply" side

Hey the interview at NYIT was pretty laid back, we had a campus tour and then we had to write an essay. We were allowed to write on one of three given topics and while we worked on our essays they called us in for 15-20 minute one on one interviews. The interview was laid back, they asked me the usual, Why PT?, Why NYIT? and also about my transcripts.

I haven't heard anything yet from them but I live in NJ and all the mail has been slow because of hurricane Sandy, we just got power back today after 4 days. I think NYIT is closed too due to the storm so I'm hoping maybe I'll hear something soon, still keeping my fingers crossed.

And in terms of Kentucky's DPT program I decided not to apply, it would have most definitely been a waste of money.

Update:

Overall GPA (PTCAS): 3.11 (no retakes or w's)
PTCAS Science GPA: 3.14 (no retakes or w's)
Overall Pre-Req GPA: 3.12 (no retakes or w's)
GRE: 146V, 147Q, 4.0AW (Highest of two test, I suck at standardized tests)
4 References (2 PT, 2 Professors)

Extra-Curric: University Resident Assistant my junior year, volunteer marine biology research assistant, biology and PRE-SOMA club member. (I spend most of my Extra-Cirric time volunteering and working in PT facilities).

PT Related Employment: I currently work as a part time physical therapy aide at an Ivy Rehabilitation facility and part time as a per diem therapy technician for a HealthSouth inpatient rehab hospital. I also work per diem as a rehabilitation aide (which is pretty much the same as a Therapy Tech and visa versa) for CentraState Hospital.

Volunteer: 645 Verified Hours of observation/paid PT related experience, all divided up between acute care inpatient, pulmonary, sub-acute care inpatient, orthopedics, neuro, pediatrics, and geriatrics both inpatient and outpatient.

Applied: LIU-Brooklyn, UMDNJ-Stratford, Richard Stockton, Scranton, Pitt, Arcadia, Widener, Thomas Jefferson, Drexel, University of Maryland-Baltimore, VCU, UNF, St. Augustine FL, USF, University of Florida, NYIT, Clarkson University, WVU, Touro Bay Shore, Franklin Pierce-Concord, Temple

Waitlist: None

Denied: University of Maryland-Baltimore, Arcadia, Drexel, NYIT

Accepted: None

I'm starting to get a bit discouraged....

Hey Ferros37:

I'm in the same boat as you, with a similar profile and stats but with an even lower gpa. I submitted my apps a little while ago and am now just waiting to hear back also. I'm so incredibly nervous, especially reading all these posts about how low my chances are with my gpa, but just wanted you to know that there are others like you out there anxiously waiting for schools to reply! We didn't apply to any of the same schools, but thanks for posting your updates and best of luck to you!!

Update:

Extra-Curric: University Resident Assistant my junior year, volunteer marine biology research assistant, biology and PRE-SOMA club member. (I spend most of my Extra-Cirric time volunteering and working in PT facilities).

PT Related Employment: I currently work as a part time physical therapy aide at an Ivy Rehabilitation facility and part time as a per diem therapy technician for a HealthSouth inpatient rehab hospital. I also work per diem as a rehabilitation aide (which is pretty much the same as a Therapy Tech and visa versa) for CentraState Hospital.

Volunteer: 645 Verified Hours of observation/paid PT related experience, all divided up between acute care inpatient, pulmonary, sub-acute care inpatient, orthopedics, neuro, pediatrics, and geriatrics both inpatient and outpatient.

Applied: LIU-Brooklyn, UMDNJ-Stratford, Richard Stockton, Scranton, Pitt, Arcadia, Widener, Thomas Jefferson, Drexel, University of Maryland-Baltimore, VCU, UNF, St. Augustine FL, USF, University of Florida, NYIT, Clarkson University, WVU, Touro Bay Shore, Franklin Pierce-Concord, Temple

Waitlist: None

Denied: University of Maryland-Baltimore, Arcadia, Drexel, NYIT

I'm starting to get a bit discouraged....

Since you applied to many schools, the chances of one school accepting you are good. Don't worry about the overall GPA. Most schools have a minimum cutoff as an easy way to discard applicants. Your experience is great. Few applicants have 645 hours of observation hours, Your employment status is also a huge bonus. The only weakness is your pre-req GPA. I've said this to so many others. Pre-req GPA is important because it's an indicator of your success in graduate school. Schools want to see high pre-req GPAs. USA is a little more forgiving in that regard, and will consider your entire application. You have a good chance there. If you don't get accepted, re-take some science classes and boost that GPA.

Kevin

Hey thanks dhc1! Good luck to you as well I hope you get into your top choice! And it's so easy to get discouraged during this process, just gotta keep going and doing everything little thing possible to help your chances.

I'm hoping New Testament, I'd love to go to USA Florida esp cause I have family down there not far. I think I stand a reasonable shot at Touro College-Bay Shore as well. I just got a phone call minutes ago from the woman in admissions to tell me that they received my supplemental application and they would get back to me in the next 2 weeks with a decision. They do not do interviews so it will be a straight yes/no/wait list decision.

I also think i have a shot at LIU-Brookyln. I read that there are students with stats similar to mine getting interviews and acceptances there. One of my references is a graduate from their program as well which I'm sure could help a bit.

I applied to UMDNJ and they requested that I write up a PT experience sheet summarizing my physical therapy employment/observation. I'm gonna forward that document to the other schools I applied to as well so that it gives them more information about me as well.

Can anyone give me more information about the Touro College-Bay Shore DPT program? I've heard mixed things about it. I've read on this site that the program isn't all that impressive, but at the same time one of the facilities I work at has a student from Touro right now and they claim to love the program!

Anyone have any other input?

Hey ferros37!

Did you hear back yet from NYIT? I just interviewed with them on Friday 11/9 and it was a great experience. I am just wondering how long I am going to have to wait till I hear back.

I actually got an interesting update today regarding NYIT I received my denied letter from them about a week ago. I wrote an email to the admissions coordinator asking why I was denied? and what I could due to improve upon my application. She got back to me today and said I was denied due to my GPA however she looked over my application more and apparently really liked my volunteer and PT experience and decided to take back my denied and offered me a position on the wait list.

Very strange but I am so happy! I went from denied to now being on the wait list, i doubt I will actually be taken off the wait list know but you never know! Moral of the story, be persistent and you never know what might happen.

I actually got an interesting update today regarding NYIT I received my denied letter from them about a week ago. I wrote an email to the admissions coordinator asking why I was denied? and what I could due to improve upon my application. She got back to me today and said I was denied due to my GPA however she looked over my application more and apparently really liked my volunteer and PT experience and decided to take back my denied and offered me a position on the wait list.

Very strange but I am so happy! I went from denied to now being on the wait list, i doubt I will actually be taken off the wait list know but you never know! Moral of the story, be persistent and you never know what might happen.

That's great news for you, Ferros37! I really hope you get chosen off the wait list!

Update:

Volunteer: 700+ Verified Hours of observation/paid PT related experience, all divided up between acute care inpatient, pulmonary, sub-acute care inpatient, orthopedics, neuro, pediatrics, and geriatrics both inpatient and outpatient.

Wait list: NYIT

Denied: University of Maryland-Baltimore, Arcadia, Drexel

Hey everyone out there! I had a pretty low pre-req and cumulative gpa (both 3.01) and felt like I didn't have a chance, but I just found out I got accepted to u. of indianapolis today! Just reminding you all that no matter your gpa, if you've got other strong points in your application you definitely have a chance of getting into schools. Good luck to all!!

^^^^^Thanks for the post! and Congrats on your acceptance!

I haven't posted any updates in a while but here is the latest as of 12/17:

Volunteer: 700+ Verified Hours of observation/paid PT related experience, all divided up between acute care inpatient, pulmonary, sub-acute care inpatient, orthopedics, neuro, pediatrics, and geriatrics both inpatient and outpatient.

Applied: LIU-Brooklyn, UMDNJ-Stratford, Richard Stockton, Scranton, Pitt, Arcadia, Widener, Thomas Jefferson, Drexel, University of Maryland-Baltimore, VCU, UNF, St. Augustine FL, USF, University of Florida, NYIT, Clarkson University, WVU, Touro Bay Shore, Franklin Pierce-Concord, Temple, Nova Southeastern

Interviews: NYIT (10/19), UMDNJ-Stratford (12/21)

Wait list: NYIT

Denied: University of Maryland-Baltimore, Arcadia, Drexel, Temple

has anyone one heard from TJ yet

Nope, however I emailed Mr. Sharples about the status of my application and he said that my decision would be coming mid to late January

Where else are you trying to apply to. I currently go to Widener but I applied to alot of schools but I really would like to stay in the Phil, New York area.

Also has anyone applied to Dominican College of Blau....In Ny. If so what have you heard and is it a good school

I applied to a long list of schools they are posted above but here they are again:

LIU-Brooklyn, UMDNJ-Stratford, Richard Stockton, Scranton, Pitt, Arcadia, Widener, Thomas Jefferson, Drexel, University of Maryland-Baltimore, VCU, UNF, St. Augustine FL, USF, University of Florida, NYIT, Clarkson University, WVU, Touro Bay Shore, Franklin Pierce-Concord, Temple, Nova Southeastern

As far as Dominican I thought about applying there but I heard they have a really weird weekend schedule for classes.

Ferros, is having lower stats your reason for applying to so many schools?

Having lower stats should not be the reason. People apply just simply to increase their own odds because different schools look at different things when basing on acceptance. Take for instance UMB (univ of maryland baltimore) they have a 75% in state acceptence so the other 25% is out of state and those canidates will be the ones who mainly have the 3.6 or greater GPA.

But if your asking for your own personal reason then you sould apply to Alot of schools to increase your odds. No school is Gurantee unless you have that aggreement (wich I lost last semester on one class which is why I'm doing all this :idea:) But, just to understand first hand heres my stat's

Attending Widener University
Major Biology
Minor 1 Business management
Minor 2 International Business
Concentration Economics
Cum GPA 3.31
Science 3.1
Science and Math 3.3
PT pre req 3.6
Extracurricular activates
Football, BSU Eboard ,NAACP,BMU,Pi Lamda PHI Eboard, Environmental club, National society of Honors Sigma Alpha Pi, Beta Beat Beta Biology Honors Fraternity, Researcher at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine ,as well as doing research at Widener University, Deans List, Presidential scholar ship and more....
I applied to Columbia, NYU, Temple, Drexel, TJ, Stonybrok, UMB Scranton, UMES, Widener, Univ scinces, Daemen, Dyouville, Clarckson, Sage, Utica and I applied to 5 Physician Assistant schools
Accepted; None
Denied; Columbia ,Temple ,Drexel, Utica U Sciences
Interview ; UMES
point in all this is that you never know what can happen so you should really keep your options open
I hope this helps a little and if anyone can give me insight of any those schools it would be great....Hopefully we all get accepted to the places we like Good Luck ALL
:luck:

I also applied to Dominican College of Blau, I'm still waiting for a response. I also applied to a lot (19) of schools because of my low GRE scores. I think a good 66% of schools I applied to do not require the GRE.

what schools did you apply to

what schools did you apply to

D'Youville College (accepted)
Drexel University (rejected)
University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey (rejected)
Nazareth College of Rochester
Clarkson University
Dominican College of Blauvelt
Long Island University - Brooklyn Campus (rejected)
New York Institute of Technology (rejected)
Quinnipiac University
The Sage Colleges
Thomas Jefferson University
University of Scranton
Widener University
Misericordia University
Sacred Heart University
Duquesne University
Touro College Bay Shore (Long Island) Manhattan
Seton Hall University
Gannon University
NYU (interview 1/18/13)

That's 20 schools. I don't think I am applying to any more schools.

Last edited:
nice what are your grades becuase NYU and TJ are one of the schools Im highly hoping for

Hi!!! I got my first interview today at NYU Jan. 18th....Super excited because in the same day I was rejected from Mayo. Anyone else interviewing the same day? If so what time?

Take for instance UMB (univ of maryland baltimore) they have a 75% in state acceptence so the other 25% is out of state and those canidates will be the ones who mainly have the 3.6 or greater GPA.

Not totally true. I'm from Texas and I didn't have a 3.6 GPA. I know they take more in-state applicants, but it all depends on how you interview and how you present yourself along with a solid application.

UPDATE AS OF 1/11/13

Volunteer: 1000+ Verified Hours of observation/paid PT related experience, all divided up between acute care inpatient, pulmonary, sub-acute care inpatient, orthopedics, neuro, pediatrics, and geriatrics both inpatient and outpatient.

Applied: LIU-Brooklyn, UMDNJ-Stratford, Richard Stockton, Scranton, Pitt, Arcadia, Widener, Thomas Jefferson, Drexel, University of Maryland-Baltimore, VCU, UNF, St. Augustine FL, USF, University of Florida, NYIT, SUNY Upstate, Clarkson University, WVU, Touro Bay Shore, Franklin Pierce-Concord, Temple, Nova Southeastern

Interviews: NYIT (10/19), UMDNJ-Stratford (12/21)

Wait list: NYIT, Pitt

Denied: University of Maryland-Baltimore, Arcadia, Drexel, Temple, UNF, Scranton

Starting to lose hope, but just gotta keep grinding

why lose hope you haven't even heard from the majority of schools that you applied too...

I just feel like the majority of the schools I have left to hear from are alittle too competitive for my stats and i dont stack up well. Your are right though just gotta see what happens

Since you applied to so many schools, I think your chances are good. Someone is going to bite. Most of your schools like your application until they see the low pre-req GPA. If you don't get accepted, you'll know why and you'll know what to do.

Kevin