What are other pharmacy related careers besides Retail?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpaceHamsterBoo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I absolutely hate retail. I'm a very Type A oriented person and when I come to problems (rude customers, inefficient employees, mistakes, etc) I prefer to tackle them head on but the tech job I work is demoralizing and depressing. I lack any motivation to excel at my job, corporate culture runs deep, and my pharmacy is located in an a very affluent area and the nearby university hospital is within walking distance of the pharmacy I work at.

Just yesterday, a customer's child asked for fries and chicken nuggets at my store's drive through.

I don't think I can work in the retail setting; I'm a very science-oriented person and a field where I can do research or tackle difficult and engaging problems is one where I'd excel.

Besides retail, what else is there in the field of pharmacy? Should I forget about pharmacy and study chemistry and hopefully apply for DO schools or become a researcher in Chemistry?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Have you used the search function? Not only on SDN, but also try Google.

That's like asking, "What are other pizza toppings besides cheese?"

Members don't see this ad :)
There are other fields in pharmacy besides retail? No way! :rolleyes:

I almost didn't believe it either! But the internet tells me there is, so it must be true!

Wait, does that mean you can get pizzas with MORE than just cheese?? :eek:

There are no areas other than retail.

Even within retail there is a lot of variation. I worked at an RX chain that sounds a lot like OP's store. I also worked at a small-town independent pharmacy... I hated the chain, but loved the independent. YYMV

I absolutely hate retail. I'm a very Type A oriented person and when I come to problems (rude customers, inefficient employees, mistakes, etc) I prefer to tackle them head on but the tech job I work is demoralizing and depressing. I lack any motivation to excel at my job, corporate culture runs deep, and my pharmacy is located in an a very affluent area and the nearby university hospital is within walking distance of the pharmacy I work at.

Just yesterday, a customer's child asked for fries and chicken nuggets at my store's drive through.

I don't think I can work in the retail setting; I'm a very science-oriented person and a field where I can do research or tackle difficult and engaging problems is one where I'd excel.

Besides retail, what else is there in the field of pharmacy? Should I forget about pharmacy and study chemistry and hopefully apply for DO schools or become a researcher in Chemistry?

You sound like a know-it-all person. Inefficient employees? Who cares dude, give them a break. Mistakes? everybody makes mistakes. Who cares if the child asking for fries, I thought that was cute.

Yup, please go into Chemistry and become a researcher or somting

If you are going to excel at all in healthcare, whether it's pharmacy or not, you need to learn the importance of teamwork. No matter where you go, there will be all types of personalities to work with. There will also be varying degrees of work ethic and general capabilities. While it's important to have motivation to succeed/excel, it's equally important to focus on the most important part of the job: patient care. It seems your focus is on what the field can give you, not what you can give to the field. Yes, you'll want a rewarding career where you can feel useful and grow professionally but you need to be able to solve problems by working with others. It's all about the medical TEAM; not just what you think you know.

Yes, jobs exist outside of retail but you're going to have to change your attitude if you're going to succeed in those jobs.

Perhaps research is more up your alley but only you can decide that.

Yup, please go into Chemistry and become a researcher or somting

Even research involves teamwork and dealing with people (from my experience in molecular biochemistry). Maybe Chemistry is different? I doubt it.