What are some good extracirriculars if wanting to become a trauma surgeon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rofflemywaffles

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you're a pre-med, don't worry about being a trauma surgeon just yet. I'm in med school, and it's still not trauma surgeon time. If you weren't aware, to do trauma surgery you first do a residency in surgery, and then a fellowship in trauma surgery. So that's literally over ten years away for you. Being an EMT is way, way, way different from trauma surgery. (I was an EMT too.) Become an EMT if you want to, but not with the end-goal of trauma surgery.

Right now you should be focusing on getting into med school. Vary your ECs and try to get a mix of clinical and non-clinical. Do stuff you enjoy so when they ask you about them in interviews, you don't come across as a box-ticking robot.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the above. It's great that you have an interest but I wouldn't worry about specialties just yet. There's nothing really that you can do that's going to give you a sense of what it's like to be a trauma surgeon at this point. But if you want to shadow a trauma surgeon, that may not be a bad idea. I also got some pretty good exposure to critical care as a scribe in a trauma center.

But seriously, just focus on getting good grades and doing things that you enjoy (outside of medicine!). Also, it's worth keeping in mind that there are no guarantees in terms of which specialties will be in reach for you by the time you're actually in medical school. Keep an open mind. :)

Reactions: 1 user
1) get into medical school
2) then worry about specialties.

Hello,

I'm wondering what extracurriculars to take if my end goal is to become a trauma surgeon. I am planning on becoming and EMT for experience and exposure to the field so I know I am absolutely sure I want to go into critical care. What else can I do? Is research necessary if I don't want to do research in my future career?

Thanks.

1) get into medical school
2) then worry about specialties.
This.

There is nothing you can do as a premed to prepare yourself for a career as a trauma surgeon. And you will have your whole career to spend working in whatever specialty you ultimately choose. So I suggest you focus on developing yourself as a person. Take philosophy classes. Study abroad. Learn to paint. In general, take advantage of the fact that college is a time where you can explore non-medical subjects and learn about things just for the sheer enjoyment of it. It gets harder to do that as you get further along in your training.

Reactions: 1 user
When you see how some trauma surgeons treat others in the hospital, tell yourself that will not be you. Even if your tired stressed etc, which will happen because your human, find that person later and apologize. I like trauma and am an EMT now. but like others have said, find things you like to do enjoy life get into school then worry about other things....

trauma surgery is the most overrated, underpaid, high stress and overworked specialities out there. yes you will save peoples lives, but you may lose yours too. many trauma surgeons work 80-100 hrs/ wk for a large portion, if not all, of their career. you're a long way off. lots of good advice.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Do what you like doing for extracurriculars. What are you passionate about?

Just don't let your ECs interfere with your academics. Grades comes first, then hobbies/activities/ECs.

And still get 500&500 of clinical/nonclinical volunteering, all A's, awesome mcat, great letters, first chair violinist, and publications?

They all say they don't want us to play the game, but they're all keeping score the same way :(
They're "or" examples, not "and." Pick any one or two that you enjoy. And FWIW, cynicism is definitely not an appealing trait in a premed. :shrug: