What are some of the best funded Psy.D programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dirkwww

Post Bach
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Baylor is the only PsyD program I know of that provides full funding. There are a handful of others that provide partial funding. I know Rutgers does, but I'm sure others can chime in on those.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't been able to lay my hands on my copy of The Insiders Guide for a while, but isn't funding covered in there?

Baylor is the only PsyD program I know of that provides full funding. There are a handful of others that provide partial funding. I know Rutgers does, but I'm sure others can chime in on those.

IUP provides reasonable funding IIRC. (partial but better than most).

I haven't been able to lay my hands on my copy of The Insiders Guide for a while, but isn't funding covered in there?

The Insider's Guide provides stats on PsyDs that fund but the stats may not be specific on whether the funding is a full tuition waver or half. For example, I applied to funded PsyDs based in universities. For example, I applied to IUP in PA and in the insider's guide, the stats said that 100% of students received a tuition waver and stipend. What the guide did not say was that most of those wavers were half tuition wavers and not full wavers. There was a possibility of getting a full waver at IUP but it was difficult to do (e.g. you would have to get two 10 hour GAs which the school did not give out often). The university-based PsyD I decided to attend has the same waver policy as IUP (10 hour GAs for half a tuition waver with slim possibility of getting two 10 hour GAs or one 20 hour GA) and the same stats on the Insider's Guide (e.g. 100% of students receive tuition waver and stipend). The same may be true for other PsyDs housed in public universities. So the insider's guide does not provide specific waver and stipend info. It is best to ask the individual program.

Most PsyD programs housed in public or state universities provide funding. I know that Indiana State, IUP in PA, Baylor, Rutgers, Marshall, and Wright State (funding for first year only when I applied) provide half wavers (Baylor gives full wavers) to students. Now that the economy is not so great, even these public schools are not able to guarantee funding for students. Private universities with PsyD programs like Xavier offer opportunities for funding but no guarantee (e.g. teach a weekend class for 1/3 tuition waver with 2/3 max tuition waver). Mind you, I am an incoming fourth year in my program ready to apply for internship, so I applied to these programs three and a half years ago right when the economy went south. Things may have changed and funding may be even more scarce than it was back then. Hope this helps!

As previously stated, Baylor is the only Psy.D program (to my knowledge) that provides full funding. I know that Long Island University @ CW Post & Rutgers University also provide partial aid [~20K / year] to most students for at least the first three years.

The Insider's Guide provides stats on PsyDs that fund but the stats may not be specific on whether the funding is a full tuition waver or half. For example, I applied to funded PsyDs based in universities. For example, I applied to IUP in PA and in the insider's guide, the stats said that 100% of students received a tuition waver and stipend. What the guide did not say was that most of those wavers were half tuition wavers and not full wavers. There was a possibility of getting a full waver at IUP but it was difficult to do (e.g. you would have to get two 10 hour GAs which the school did not give out often). The university-based PsyD I decided to attend has the same waver policy as IUP (10 hour GAs for half a tuition waver with slim possibility of getting two 10 hour GAs or one 20 hour GA) and the same stats on the Insider's Guide (e.g. 100% of students receive tuition waver and stipend). The same may be true for other PsyDs housed in public universities. So the insider's guide does not provide specific waver and stipend info. It is best to ask the individual program.

Most PsyD programs housed in public or state universities provide funding. I know that Indiana State, IUP in PA, Baylor, Rutgers, Marshall, and Wright State (funding for first year only when I applied) provide half wavers (Baylor gives full wavers) to students. Now that the economy is not so great, even these public schools are not able to guarantee funding for students. Private universities with PsyD programs like Xavier offer opportunities for funding but no guarantee (e.g. teach a weekend class for 1/3 tuition waver with 2/3 max tuition waver). Mind you, I am an incoming fourth year in my program ready to apply for internship, so I applied to these programs three and a half years ago right when the economy went south. Things may have changed and funding may be even more scarce than it was back then. Hope this helps!

Wow--great information--many thanks!