What are some of the things I should do while in college, to prepare for application to med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smileyfrowned

Serene
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be a freshman of college in the fall. I plan on taking CNA classes during the summer so I can be a CNA as a college job. I figured if I get to work in a nursing home (hopefully even a hospital), I can gain more clinical experience and increase my chances of getting into a medical school. I wanted to become an anesthesiologist. I know working in a nursing home won't teach me anything about being an anesthesiologist but I figured this is the only medical related job I can do while as a college student. Do you guys think being a CNA is a good plan? if I don't get a job at the hospital, should I volunteer at a hospital once a week or something? Other than shadowing an anesthesiologist, is there anything else I could do to gain more medical experience? Not necessarily experience with anesthesiology, but medicine in general. I really do want to learn more about medicine as well as wanting something good to put on my application for medical school. Thank You.

Members don't see this ad.

Shadow someone in Primary Care.

If not a CNA, you have to do some volunteer work with a patient population

Also, do some non-clinical volunteering, to show off your altruism.

Engage in research so you understand the scientific process.

Do what you love and love what you do.

And always remember that it's a marathon, not a sprint.

I'm going to be a freshman of college in the fall. I plan on taking CNA classes during the summer so I can be a CNA as a college job. I figured if I get to work in a nursing home (hopefully even a hospital), I can gain more clinical experience and increase my chances of getting into a medical school. I wanted to become an anesthesiologist. I know working in a nursing home won't teach me anything about being an anesthesiologist but I figured this is the only medical related job I can do while as a college student. Do you guys think being a CNA is a good plan? if I don't get a job at the hospital, should I volunteer at a hospital once a week or something? Other than shadowing an anesthesiologist, is there anything else I could do to gain more medical experience? Not necessarily experience with anesthesiology, but medicine in general. I really do want to learn more about medicine as well as wanting something good to put on my application for medical school. Thank You.

Adopt a dog at your local dog shelter. Rescuing dogs is both fun and cool! Woof.