What are some things pharmacists can get written up for corporate wise?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tompharm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what were some things pharmacists can get written up for in corporate chain pharmacies. I was written up for not using the right ndc for a drug that was dispensed but it was the correct drug. It was a cii however and insurance didn't cover the one dispensed. Is this normal, will I get written up at chain pharmacies everytime we are audited for a script. what are some other things I can get in trouble for?

Members don't see this ad.

There is a thread about this before. But you can get trouble for anything:
not answering the phone fast enough
not getting drive thru fast enough
not bending over customer request
not smiling
not scanning loyalty card
not faking it enough/nice enough/rude - this is probably the most common complaint
not able to mind read your customer
not able to dispense controlled substance early
not getting along with your coworker
not standing 8-14 hours a day
not taking your breaks
not knowing everything there is to know out there
etc...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
how many write ups can you get a year and also what about audits?

Members don't see this ad :)
basically you get written up for being human...LOL i think the write ups are designed as a way to fire people, so new grads get hired and the veteran (anyone 1+ yr) get let go. less benefits, less money for corporate.

They will write you up for anything depending on whether or not they like you. I've heard of managers having affairs with subordinates and not being written up. A write up is like tagging wildlife, you never know when you'll need to use it.

I was wondering what were some things pharmacists can get written up for in corporate chain pharmacies. I was written up for not using the right ndc for a drug that was dispensed but it was the correct drug. It was a cii however and insurance didn't cover the one dispensed. Is this normal, will I get written up at chain pharmacies everytime we are audited for a script. what are some other things I can get in trouble for?

you only commited insurance fraud, no biggie

Reactions: 2 users
Write ups are a tool they give middle managers who don't know how to use any other management tool. Most of the time a write up is not necessary. If you work at That Chain then it is necessary to write everyone up all of the time because everyone is out to get everyone there.

Do that with Texas Medicaid and you just committed a felony! That is corporate trying to save your ass from jail time.

How would they know you're late at a chain pharmacy if you're the pharmacist opening the store? Would the front store manager rat you out or are district managers watching videos from every store to make sure everyone comes in on time.
Patient complaints.

Reactions: 1 users
no supervisor have time to review opening procedure of every store under them. but they will investigate if they get enough complaints from the store manager, technicians, or even the patients themselves.

Reactions: 1 user
Time clock.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How would they know you're late at a chain pharmacy if you're the pharmacist opening the store? Would the front store manager rat you out or are district managers watching videos from every store to make sure everyone comes in on time.

The alarm log. And customer complaints. And the manager.

World it be fraud if you partial fill a prescription then fill it with a different ndc? Also what if that ndc wasn't covered but the original was?
Yes, but not illegal because there was no misbranding (assuming both labels reflected the provided NDC). To meet insurance contract requirements you'd probably technically have to process it as a compound, but I doubt they'd care one way or the other.

Yes, but not illegal because there was no misbranding (assuming both labels reflected the provided NDC). To meet insurance contract requirements you'd probably technically have to process it as a compound, but I doubt they'd care one way or the other.

How many insurances pay for compounds? And how would that not be fraud?

World it be fraud if you partial fill a prescription then fill it with a different ndc? Also what if that ndc wasn't covered but the original was?
Theoretically, yes. Say you billed for #30 Mylan, but dispensed #5 Mylan and #25 Teva. What you billed for is not what you dispensed, and is therefore fraud.

If you were going to bill for #5 Mylan, then #25 Teva, you would probably end up sticking the patient for two copays. I believe our official policy states that you should bill for the larger quantity (#25 teva) and you eat the cost for the mylan you partialled.

In my experience almost none.

Use "process approved for compound" in the third party window. 9/10 goes through. If it still doesn't try to enter the following DUR codes: 72, R0, 1B and then whatever time you feel like.

At THAT company, you can be written up 3 times for the same thing. Level I used to be verbal but it is documented now - Level II - Level III (termination). Sometimes levels are skipped and it just go to Level III. You can be written up for literally anything as company policies is a rather thick book. Most bosses will give you a warning .... why is your drive thru window dirty ... why aren't you answering phone in a certain way

In my experience almost none.

Then you're doing it wrong. I bill compounds all the time for large insurance companies and rarely get rejects based on compounding in general not covered. Actually, probably never. They just don't cover certain compounds like certain eye drops that are crazy expensive, like ampho.

So Zelman, this is not fraud if you fill with 2 different NDCs? but bill the insurance for one?

So Zelman, this is not fraud if you fill with 2 different NDCs? but bill the insurance for one?
It would be a violation of your contract with the insurance company, but not a violation of law that could ever end up in criminal court.

"World it be fraud if you partial fill a prescription then fill it with a different ndc? Also what if that ndc wasn't covered but the original was?"

No problem or audit yet, we do this at chain pharmacy all the time. (not for class 2).
Day 1, amoxicillin, we did not have enough, dispensed 3-day-supply as Partial Fill, did not collect any copay because of the law.
Day 2, shipment came in with DIFFERENT NDC, completed the Partial Fill with NEW AND DIFFERENT NDC, computer billed insurance for full quantity. (not sure how the software reported to insurance but for sure we dispensed 2 different NDCs with valid and humane reasons that we did not want patient to suffer another day to wait for antibiotic.)

If that's wrong, please give advice. Thank you.