What are the "bad" dental schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Parklife

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dental schools don't have ranking. The education should be fairly consistent. Why do some schools(good institutions) accept low GPA and DAT scores? What sense does that make? I never understand this. How do med/dent schools determine their requirements? Every school wants the best and brightest, so why is it that some schools have low standards?

Are these dental schools considered "bad" to dentists and the public? And I'm not talking about just Meharry, Howard, Puerto rico etc.

Even big name schools. How can NYU, Tufts, Boston, USC accept a 3.4 when Mississippi needs a 3.7?

No offense to anyone who attends these schools. I'm just wondering. At the end of the day you're still a dentist, but why the standard gap?

:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Dental schools don't have ranking. The education should be fairly consistent. Why do some schools(good institutions) accept low GPA and DAT scores? What sense does that make? I never understand this. How do med/dent schools determine their requirements? Every school wants the best and brightest, so why is it that some schools have low standards?

Are these dental schools considered "bad" to dentists and the public? And I'm not talking about just Meharry, Howard, Puerto rico etc.

Even big name schools. How can NYU, Tufts, Boston, USC accept a 3.4 when Mississippi needs a 3.7?

No offense to anyone who attends these schools. I'm just wondering. At the end of the day you're still a dentist, but why the standard gap?

:confused:

cheap tuition/high specialization rate/ivy league are usually the most competitive. Private schools that don't have the ivy league title usually have lower averages bc people with high stats don't want to shell out 300k+ when they can get the same degree for much less.

cheap tuition/high specialization rate/ivy league are usually the most competitive. Private schools that don't have the ivy league title usually have lower averages bc people with high stats don't want to shell out 300k+ when they can get the same degree for much less.

This guy :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)

This. The reasons are economic, not academic. Just because school A has lower average matriculant GPAs or DAT scores than school B doesn't mean school A is necessarily any worse in any measurable way than school B. The pattern tends to be that school A is probably more expensive, but this technically has nothing to do with the quality of education. NYU is a prime example. Relatively low academic stats for matriculants, and one of the most expensive dental schools to attend (when you factor in living costs), but its clinical training is top notch and it produces very competent dentists.

I figured as much. So do dentists give mind if you went to NYU as opposed to Upenn? As far as patient pool goes, NYU>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MIss :D

I wouldn't mind going to NYU tbh..apart from the cost of course.

I figured as much. So do dentists give mind if you went to NYU as opposed to Upenn? As far as patient pool goes, NYU>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MIss :D

I wouldn't mind going to NYU tbh..apart from the cost of course.

Being book smart doesn't necessarily equate to being a better dentist. And why would any dentist care where you went to school. I'm assuming you're wondering about what a dentist looks for when hiring an associate. I'll keep it short, they care more about how fast and experienced you are combined with how low of a salary you're willing to accept.

It's true that in the past some schools have had bad reputations. Though a lot of it comes down to the fact that some schools just charge outrageous prices. 2 prime examples are USC and NYU. I got into both but they were not even in the decision since I got into my state school which will be about half the price after 4 years.

It's true that in the past some schools have had bad reputations. Though a lot of it comes down to the fact that some schools just charge outrageous prices. 2 prime examples are USC and NYU. I got into both but they were not even in the decision since I got into my state school which will be about half the price after 4 years.

Don't take this the wrong way, but are you really satisfied living in Minnesota for the rest of your life? (Assuming you set up shop in min) :D

What special place are you from parklife?

Don't take this the wrong way, but are you really satisfied living in Minnesota for the rest of your life? (Assuming you set up shop in min) :D

who the f*** are you to call someone out on where they live.

you got problems son

4140.jpg

Sounds like you've got it figured out, Parklife. I can't believe I made it through four years of undergraduate in this absolute prison of a city.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
To each their own guys, plenty of people would be miserable living in MN (maybe that's what Parklife thinks?), the same goes for NYC. I'm sure he wasn't trying to offend anyone.

On the subject of living in Minnesota over other places, at my last hospital, my lead therapist and friend decided to leave Hawaii to get back to the twin cities where he grew up. He'd probably be laughing his ass off reading this thread, especially after running the gauntlet at work with everyone bugging out asking "why would you want to leave here for there!?".

Ha, the sensitivity of SDN. What a joke. Even after I said don't take this the wrong way. I'm from sunny southern Georgia. I love it, but I wouldn't mind a move. I'm not saying minn is a bad place to live.

UCLA. Make like your avatar and keep calm. I was just saying.

To each their own. I wanted to live in Seattle. You'd imagine how many heads this turned. :laugh:

Last edited:
Trust me, I understand why some people are put off by the long winters and all that goes with it, but some of us love it. I just wanted to make sure Minneapolis didn't completely get thrown under the bus :)

Ehm, what exactly does this website show that you or we don't already know? It just shows average matriculant GPAs. We know NYU's and USC's are on the lower side. The reason, as has already been stated several times, is economic.

What scintillating new evidence are you presenting here, exactly?

And ease up on the "holier-than-thou" attitude. Minneapolis seems like a lovely city, and the Twin Cities campus is beaut. Where do you live, exactly? It probably sucks there. :oops:

Ehm, what exactly does this website show that you or we don't already know? It just shows average matriculant GPAs. We know NYU's and USC's are on the lower side. The reason, as has already been stated several times, is economic.

What scintillating new evidence are you presenting here, exactly?

And ease up on the "holier-than-thou" attitude. Minneapolis seems like a lovely city, and the Twin Cities campus is beaut. Where do you live, exactly? It probably sucks there. :oops:

LOL "scintillating evidence" huh? How cute. ad hominins and sarcasm. You must be sooo great. :rolleyes:

Especially since I wasn't even making an argument. My evidence must be beyond comprehension.

I thought you would so easily see my point. You should have noticed that the "low gpa=high tution" notion doesn't always hold true.

I don't have a hollier-than-thou mentality. I don't know why you would think that. I speak the truth. If the truth has offended you...well the truth hurts. I don't know what to tell you. I only have statistics to back up what I say.

Last edited:
You asked about NYU, BU, USC and Tufts specifically, which most, if not many, believe to have lower GPAs due to their high cost of attendance. There are no hard and fast rules. It's just a common pattern that tends to arise more often than not. It was your mistake to assume that low GPA certainly meant high tuition or vice versa, for all schools.

I think the fact that you claim to speak only the truth only cements your apparently high opinion of yourself; never mind your overly-patronizing way of speaking.

I'd rather live in Minnesota than Georgia any day, by the way.

You asked about NYU, BU, USC and Tufts specifically, which most, if not many, believe to have lower GPAs due to their high cost of attendance. There are no hard and fast rules. It's just a common pattern that tends to arise more often than not. It was your mistake to assume that low GPA certainly meant high tuition or vice versa, for all schools.

I think the fact that you claim to speak only the truth only cements your apparently high opinion of yourself; never mind your overly-patronizing way of speaking.

I'd rather live in Minnesota than Georgia any day, by the way.

If I'm a self-righteous person because I acknowledge that there is competition in the world then so be it. No statistic is 100% statistics is all about probability. When you look at matriculation rates, average GPA, starting salary, alumni giving back, etc. you can gauge what a school name is. It goes back to my question from the other day. Will where you go effect your dental career? The answer is maybe. Miss>NYU from a patient perspective. Yeah sure, it doesn't matter all that much d-school to d-school, but patients don't know that. It's good to be competitive. That's not a bad thing. There isn't anything holier-than-thou about it.

I have never nor will I ever say that I'm better than anyone else because I'm not. This is exactly what I stand AGAINST actually. If you believe I have spoken arrogantly, message me about it. I'm curious, and I don't mean to offend anybody.

Going back to the topic: The top 4 most expensive schools are public schools and not the schools I asked about. I never said it was certain. I brought up that link to show that low gpa does not necessarily equal high tuition, which of course, is my "scintillating new evidence." Because I'm so narcissistic I guess. The funny thing is you have the audacity to say I speak with a condescending tone. Even though I was defending that just because someone gets a low GPA(which I apparently look down on since I'm better) does NOT mean they will pay high tuition.

When you debate you attack the speech not the speaker.

The Minnesota thing was just a preference. Obviously all places have their pros and cons. I always felt Minnesota as a state was remote. That's just me. That's why I asked. I want to leave GA. I love it, but I wouldn't mind a change in scenery, so once again gob, your implied insult wasn't very insulting.

It's all subjective and it's all relative. Schools have their own ways of "weighing" students. The ones you see with lower GPA and DAT may actually have other qualities that weigh more in those schools' formulas. Each school's got its own way of measuring applicants.

I'd actually rather live in MN than Georgia. Can't stand the heat. Ugh

It's all subjective and it's all relative. Schools have their own ways of "weighing" students. The ones you see with lower GPA and DAT may actually have other qualities that weigh more in those schools' formulas. Each school's got its own way of measuring applicants.

I'd actually rather live in MN than Georgia. Can't stand the heat. Ugh

I hear that kitty! I haven't spent the summer in GA since 7th grade! Spring time is always nice though. We got snow last year at least.

If I'm a self-righteous person because I acknowledge that there is competition in the world then so be it.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. If the world is so competitive, it's probably a disconcerting mistake to presume that you're better than other people.

Miss>NYU from a patient perspective.

How so? NYU has one of the largest and most diverse patient populations of any dental school. They are, in fact, the largest dental school, period. Or do you mean from the perception of the name? I'd say people, superficially, are more inclined to think highly of NYU than Mississippi.

Yeah sure, it doesn't matter all that much d-school to d-school, but patients don't know that. It's good to be competitive. That's not a bad thing. There isn't anything holier-than-thou about it.

You misunderstood me. I'm not talking about your opinions of which dental schools are "good" or "bad" or which ones you like and don't like. I'm talking about the way you spoke down to someone just because of where they lived. It may have been in jest, but it was distasteful. And if you still want to say, "I don't speak as though I am holier-than-thou," you just admitted that you were self-righteous. What do you think self-righteous actually means?

... and I don't mean to offend anybody.

Too late, it seems!

Going back to the topic: The top 4 most expensive schools are public schools and not the schools I asked about.

You're looking at out-of-state tuition, which isn't exactly the best parameter. Two of those schools essentially accept zero OOS applicants. Sort by in-state/private tuition and the top four most expensive schools are private, and the highest average matriculant GPA you see is 3.45.

Because I'm so narcissistic I guess... Even though I was defending that just because someone gets a low GPA(which I apparently look down on since I'm better) does NOT mean they will pay high tuition.

Why are you putting words in my mouth? Did I call you narcissistic? Did I say you look down on people with low GPAs? Is this some sort of defense mechanism, or a series of Freudian slips?

When you debate you attack the speech not the speaker.

That's true, I apologise.

... yeesh. Anyways, I personally think high tuition --> lower average GPA still holds true in a general case, with some exceptions (OOS tuition, ivy league schools). We can agree to disagree. You can have the last word about this holier-than-thou thing, if you'd like. I'm just saying it was wrong of you to speak that way in the first place, and that the website you quoted doesn't exactly reveal anything people here don't know, nor does it debunk the GPA/$$ pattern.

Last edited:
The bad dental schools are the ones you wouldn't consider applying to out of state. What ever ones you feel that you wouldn't apply to are the bad ones for you.

I didn't read the entire thread, but I will say that SDN often inappropriately skews people's perceptions of dental schools on way or the other. Even with the information provided in the ASDA book, there is truly no way to know what a dental school is about and how quality of an experience it will be without visiting the campus firsthand-- and even then, you don't really know if you'll come out with a better experience at one place than another. It is largely a crapshoot, which is why so many people make their decision based on cost of attendance, the one statistic that is quantitatively measurable.

When people make threads complaining of their bad experiences at certain schools (certain ones about BU and USC come to mind), they are almost always not representative experiences. No matter where you go, you should come a competent dentist. Take other people's opinions with a grain of salt and make a decision that is right for yourself financially and logistically.

When I said that about acknowledgement, I was implying that your claim doesn't make sense. It was a joke in itself. People don't like to hear that some schools are better than others. Everyone is a special flower who will do great. They label those who awknowlege is as elitist and "hollier-than-thou." This is the reason I made the thread. I wanted to know. I expected some backlash which is why I'm addressing it for the popcorn posters.

I have never(and you can search my posts) said that I consider myself better than anyone else. I guess you forgot to read that part of my post when I said, "I have never nor will I ever say I'm better than someone."

NYU>miss. That was a typo. Your point regarding this is the same as mine.

Distasteful jest? Even so, that does not equal = hollier-than-thou AKA narcissistic.

You said I have a hollier-than-thou mentality. Oh btw. Duriel. Yeah, Duriel is upset because I was discussing about where I should go for undergrad(UGA and OSU) and how much undergrad name plays a roll in D-school admissions. I called up some schools and the verdict was yeah it does but not that much. He was offended because he went to Kennessaw State which isn't an ivy or anything. He assumed I felt that nobody from KSU could ever get into GHSU or dental school. Which, again, I don't think that. No hurt feelings Duriel.

Anyways, fair enough, I was considering OSS tuition because that's generally the situation students find themselves in when considering the most expensive private schools. You're right about public instate. Why would your OSS D-school private or public if you can get into an in-state public?

The link gave backing to cost, gpa, dat, private vs public. That isn't common knowledge. It's good for other members. It also revealed some odd-balls with public vs private.

:idea:
I think that about sums everything up!

When I said that about acknowledgement, I was implying that your claim doesn't make sense. It was a joke in itself. People don't like to hear that some schools are better than others. Everyone is a special flower who will do great. They label those who awknowlege is as elitist and "hollier-than-thou." This is the reason I made the thread. I wanted to know. I expected some backlash which is why I'm addressing it for the popcorn posters.

You made a post on a dental forum about which is the worst school. There are people from every school on the forum. There is no official ranking out there. All you're asking for is a giant flame war.

Bottom line is that people based all their opinion off their personal experiences, people's stories on forums, and regional biases. You're never going to get a straight answer. Good luck trying to find it though.

Oh. I see. So you were just trolling all along?

It all makes sense now. And when it got quiet, you drug Minnesota into the picture. You have to admit that jab at Minnesota came out of no where. But now I get it. Classy move by prefacing such a poke with, "don't take this the wrong way".

I'm not sure what you mean by this. If the world is so competitive, it's probably a disconcerting mistake to presume that you're better than other people.

How so? NYU has one of the largest and most diverse patient populations of any dental school. They are, in fact, the largest dental school, period. Or do you mean from the perception of the name? I'd say people, superficially, are more inclined to think highly of NYU than Mississippi.

You misunderstood me. I'm not talking about your opinions of which dental schools are "good" or "bad" or which ones you like and don't like. I'm talking about the way you spoke down to someone just because of where they lived. It may have been in jest, but it was distasteful. And if you still want to say, "I don't speak as though I am holier-than-thou," you just admitted that you were self-righteous. What do you think self-righteous actually means?

Too late, it seems!

You're looking at out-of-state tuition, which isn't exactly the best parameter. Two of those schools essentially accept zero OOS applicants. Sort by in-state/private tuition and the top four most expensive schools are private, and the highest average matriculant GPA you see is 3.45.

Why are you putting words in my mouth? Did I call you narcissistic? Did I say you look down on people with low GPAs? Is this some sort of defense mechanism, or a series of Freudian slips?

That's true, I apologise.

... yeesh. Anyways, I personally think high tuition --> lower average GPA still holds true in a general case, with some exceptions (OOS tuition, ivy league schools). We can agree to disagree. You can have the last word about this holier-than-thou thing, if you'd like. I'm just saying it was wrong of you to speak that way in the first place, and that the website you quoted doesn't exactly reveal anything people here don't know, nor does it debunk the GPA/$$ pattern.

You made a post on a dental forum about which is the worst school. There are people from every school on the forum. There is no official ranking out there. All you're asking for is a giant flame war.

Bottom line is that people based all their opinion off their personal experiences, people's stories on forums, and regional biases. You're never going to get a straight answer. Good luck trying to find it though.

This post is :thumbup:. I agree. I asked if bad d-schools exist. Not for the worst. Now that I know bad doesn't exist, we're good to go.

blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah

Damage control! Awooga! Damage control!

... I was discussing about where I should go for undergrad(UGA and OSU) and how much undergrad name plays a roll in D-school admissions.

Wait, wait, wait. You're not even in undergrad yet?

Now I feel bad.

Although, I think it's great you're looking ahead and putting thought and effort into your future career. At the moment though, I'd advise you to just relax, chill, enjoy college, and figure things out from there. Believe me, four years from now, you could be doing something COMPLETELY different. Stay focused, but try to enjoy your time in undergrad. It's worth more than you think.

Damage control! Awooga! Damage control!

Wait, wait, wait. You're not even in undergrad yet?

Now I feel bad.

Although, I think it's great you're looking ahead and putting thought and effort into your future career. At the moment though, I'd advise you to just relax, chill, enjoy college, and figure things out from there. Believe me, four years from now, you could be doing something COMPLETELY different. Stay focused, but try to enjoy your time in undergrad. It's worth more than you think.

I am in undergrad. Transfer. :laugh: @ blahblahblah. Is that what you do when you've been proven wrong? What a joke. What. A. Joke.

Message me if you want to argue more. I'm not a 3 time debate winner for nothing. I'm tired of thinking "not this kid again." every time I check back to see your name as a pending read.

I am in undergrad. Transfer. :laugh: @ blahblahblah. Is that what you do when you've been proven wrong? What a joke. What. A. Joke.

Message me if you want to argue more. I'm not a 3 time debate winner for nothing. I'm tired of thinking "not this kid again." every time I check back to see your name as a pending read.

Exhibit A.

I'm tired of thinking "not this kid again."

GobBluth is going to dental school next year (according to his thread in the Dental forum). You're a freshman student in undergrad (according to one of your previous posts), wondering what the "bad" dental schools are, insulting people's hometowns, and misinterpreting charts. Let's not throw around words such as what I've bolded above.

This has been pretty entertaining. I hope the mods close this junkyard of a thread soon though.

GobBluth is going to dental school next year (according to his thread in the Dental forum). You're a freshman student in undergrad (according to one of your previous posts), wondering what the "bad" dental schools are, insulting people's hometowns, and misinterpreting charts. Let's not throw around words such as what I've bolded above.

This has been pretty entertaining. I hope the mods close this junkyard of a thread soon though.

I got to admit.. That was a funny, insulting, yet accurate description of this thread. Oh well. I got my answer. I win. I didn't misinterpret any chart. I may have insulted sc's hometown.

I got to admit.. That was a funny, insulting, yet accurate description of this thread. Oh well. I got my answer. I win. I didn't misinterpret any chart. I may have insulted sc's hometown.

I wasn't trying to insult anything or anyone. Just being honest. Check the attitude at the door ("I win"? Really?). There's enough of it here as it is... :smuggrin:

Three-time debate winner against who? Against other people who are in your school I'm assuming? Take your kiddie award somewhere else :laugh:. You're debating against the big dogs now. A whole different league :D.

I wasn't trying to insult anything or anyone. Just being honest. Check the attitude at the door ("I win"? Really?). There's enough of it here as it is... :smuggrin:

The more the merrier.

Three-time debate winner against who? Against other people who are in your school I'm assuming? Take your kiddie award somewhere else :laugh:. You're debating against the big dogs now. A whole different league :D.

If you think an online forum debate against dental students is considered a big dog league I'm not sure what to tell you bud. :luck:

Didn't you just say that you are not supposed to attack the speaker but the speech? This appears to be an ad hominem fallacy... For being such a debate connoisseur, you really should be more careful of such things.

You win? This is a professional forum despite what the actions of some on here. Lets try and keep it civil and mature. :thumbup:

To the original question: There are bad schools just like there are good schools. The catch is that label of a school (best/worst) is different for each person; it is based on personal values, requirements, and expectations. Your best bet is to find what you want in a dental school, and try for said dental school. Best of luck! :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.