What are the best classes to take as prerequisite electives during undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jesseealicia

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm still earning my associate degree at my local community college, but I'm wondering what I should be taking as electives for my prerequisites?
My goal is going for UF in the fall of 2016 for the rest of my bachelor's degree, and then going onto applying to the DVM program. I was also wondering if someone could help me choosing the right major? Biology or Animal Science?

Members don't see this ad.

Parasitology, histology, anatomy (an animal-based one is best. A lot of people take comparative vertebrate anatomy and it's pretty awesome), cell biology, immunology, and genetics. As for your major, pick the one that you would see yourself using if you didn't make it into vet school. Look up which jobs you could get with each and pick the one that has the most options that you'd enjoy.

Reactions: 1 user
Meh. If you mean science electives those are all ok, I guess. Genetics is required for most schools, isn't it? I wouldn't bother with parasit. Histo would be a good choice. Wouldn't bother with anatomy. Cell bio, another good choice.

If you don't mean specifically science pre-reqs, I'd take a basic accounting class, a statistics class, and one or two (small-)business classes. Way more important long-term than the science stuff that you're going to get thrown at you in vet school anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest majoring in Animal Science, as you will have a little bit of an advantage with animal handling etc. because you get to work with animals in your labs. Reproductive Physiology, Animal Nutrition, Genetics, Animal Anatomy and Behavior are all good ones to take, and will probably be included in your core courses as an Animal Science major.

Not in vet school yet but I've gotten a lot of use otherwise professionally out of a technical/ professional writing course I took for English credits. Very dry subject matter but helpful.

Cell bio is a good choice. Personally, I'm very happy that I took undergrad anatomy and physiology (which also included a little histology). It's more fun this year when I have the basic info down and then can focus more on the details that the undergrad version didn't cover. If it counts towards your major electives, it could be a useful choice, but since you get the info in vet school it's probably not worth it if you'd have to pay a bunch extra or take longer to graduate or anything.

I agree on the accounting and stats and business advice. Very useful knowledge.

For the major - do something that you would enjoy and that would get you a degree that you'd want to use if you end up not going to vet school. I'm not trying to be discouraging, but it's smart to have a solid back-up plan. Some pre-vets choose majors like biology or animal science only because they think it's a good pre-vet program, and not because they like the program itself, and it seems like a bad idea to do that.

I also think anatomy is a great course to take. It's good to get familiar with the muscles, nerves, and everything else. You might partially forget the information, but it'll be easier to re-learn it once you're in vet school. I suggest cell biology, public speaking (some schools are slowly introducing this into pre-reqs, FYI), and any other animal-related course that interests you. I think Purdue was 'suggesting' stats this past cycle as well.

I'm still earning my associate degree at my local community college, but I'm wondering what I should be taking as electives for my prerequisites?
My goal is going for UF in the fall of 2016 for the rest of my bachelor's degree, and then going onto applying to the DVM program. I was also wondering if someone could help me choosing the right major? Biology or Animal Science?
Look at the courses they require. Anything else that you take as electives should be something that benefits your major or is something that interests you. the worst classes in college are the ones you have no interest in but are forced to take.

Personally, I think biology majors have a few more options than animal science, but it depends on what your personal back up plans are (if you don't get into vet school). It would be good to start thinking about that now.

While I enjoyed my time taking comparative vertebrate anatomy it gave me no real advantage in vet school. The depth just wasn't there and my class was taught by a veterinarian.

I can't find anything about the two degrees having animal related jobs. I understand working in labs is animal related, but I'm not really into genetically altering mice for human benefit. (Mainly because I was a mice owner for years, and they're so sweet) & I would enjoy working with animals and helping them.
Does any of those degrees have jobs not working in a lab? Am I not searching the right words or something.. that's all Google is coming up with.

What they mean by working with animals isn't lab animal work, hun. In my Animal Science undergrad, I never touched lab animals. What I did have was hands-on experience on running cattle through a chute and how to properly restrain a dog for a routine blood draw in a clinic. I learned the types of food certain animal can or cannot have, different breeds. Some of my classmates took courses where they went out and milked dairy cows or teeth and tail clipped piglets (a routine safety measure so the piglets don't harm one another and incite infections), sheared sheep, and various other farm management practices.
The only thing I ever genetically altered was plants and bacteria, and that was making E. Coli luminesce through plasmid polymerization.

I can't find anything about the two degrees having animal related jobs. I understand working in labs is animal related, but I'm not really into genetically altering mice for human benefit. (Mainly because I was a mice owner for years, and they're so sweet) & I would enjoy working with animals and helping them.
Does any of those degrees have jobs not working in a lab? Am I not searching the right words or something.. that's all Google is coming up with.
unless you specifically are looking at research oriented jobs, you won't be working with mice. In the labs I worked in I mostly made media, grew bacteria, worked with plasmids, and induced frogs to lay eggs.

I meant as jobs, not during the courses. Because someone said to have a back up plan if i dont get into vet school. I wouldn't want a job doing lab research. And that's all Google is coming up with for animal science or biology degree.

Dyachei, thank you. That actually eases my mind a little bit thinking about my back up plan lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Try looking at an Animal Production degree prospects too. At my undergrad, you major in Animal Science, but you focus on a variety of fields. Animal production, agribusiness, pre-vet, behavior, biosciences, etc.

I meant as jobs, not during the courses. Because someone said to have a back up plan if i dont get into vet school. I wouldn't want a job doing lab research. And that's all Google is coming up with for animal science or biology degree.
with a biology degree you mostly have lab related jobs, yes. Though there are some other options, too.

You should definitely have a back up plan though. My back up plan was molecular biology so I had planned to apply to PhD programs if I didn't get in. I also had plans to potentially teach.

Your back up plan doesn't necessarily have to be degree related though it can help you figure out which works best for you.

At first I was considering being a nurse or a anesthesiologist, but working at my local grocery store I realized how rude and evil people are. It swayed me back to my original job choice since I was a child, being a veterinarian. I understand I'd be working for/with people in any field, but I know that I'm helping an animal along the way.. which this sounds lame, but when I have a bad day at work I go into the pet isle and straighten everything and make it look better. It helps me therapeutically haha

Jesseealicia, I hate to burst your bubble, but owners can be rude and evil too. You have to realize that with every animal that comes into your care, there is a person attached to it, and it's that person you have to communicate with to make sure that animal receives proper care.
I don't know your history, but have you volunteered or shadowed in a veterinary clinic yet?

Reactions: 4 users
Yes, I volunteer at my local no-kill shelter. And yes I know there is mean and evil animal owners, but like I said before, I would be helping an animal along the way.

I took endocrinology, human anatomy lab, animal nutrition and lab, reproductive physiology, statistics, and four semesters of biochemistry. As much of a pain biochem was, I'm glad now I took it! Reading through texts that mention lots of molecular stuff is a lot easier now. Also endocrinology, and the way of thinking if it as a diffuse system with lots of cell signaling, really helped me figure out how to study for immunology my first semester. I took human anatomy because my school didn't have an animal one yet.

Does HA&P help you with animal anatomy?
Yes. I had a student that took HA&P and then took the comparative vertebrate anatomy course that I'm a TA for and she barely had to study. There are differences of course, but any anatomy course is helpful because it teaches you the basics and makes any other anatomy course much easier.

Yes, I volunteer at my local no-kill shelter. And yes I know there is mean and evil animal owners, but like I said before, I would be helping an animal along the way.
Just realize that sometimes those "mean and evil owners" don't let you help their animals... due to financial restrictions or personal preference or so on and so forth.

Also, with a biology degree you can also go into things like getting jobs in shelters, zoos, conservation, etc and so on (especially depending on your elective coursework and the contacts you make). Personally, I feel like a Bio degree can open a lot of doors in a lot of different places.

Reactions: 7 users

A shelter scenario is much different than a normal private practice clinic... I would urge you to go shadow a private practice vet not attached to a shelter. I don't think you have a good grasp on just how rude people can be in a vet clinic and how often times you won't be allowed to help the animal because the owner won't let you.

Reactions: 7 users
At first I was considering being a nurse or a anesthesiologist, but working at my local grocery store I realized how rude and evil people are. It swayed me back to my original job choice since I was a child, being a veterinarian. I understand I'd be working for/with people in any field, but I know that I'm helping an animal along the way.. which this sounds lame, but when I have a bad day at work I go into the pet isle and straighten everything and make it look better. It helps me therapeutically haha
Seconding what everyone else has said, plus:
1. You're totally right that people can be awful. Sometimes I'd prefer to stay in the back and get ripped up by a fractious cat than deal with the person that brought it in calling us "abusive and evil" since the cat could be heard howling during its nail trim.
2. You WILL encounter people who are just as terrible outside the veterinary field. Whether you be a nurse, waitress, or whatever else floats your boat. It looks like you found that out at a grocery store. However, the thing in vet med is that you will be frequently (perhaps moreso) dealing with people under severe financial and emotional stress who are more likely to snap at you. I highly recommend trying to forget that you basically said you reverted to veterinary medicine because you don't want to deal with fractious people. You won't get very far with that idea.

Seconding what everyone else has said, plus:
1. You're totally right that people can be awful. Sometimes I'd prefer to stay in the back and get ripped up by a fractious cat than deal with the person that brought it in calling us "abusive and evil" since the cat could be heard howling during its nail trim.
2. You WILL encounter people who are just as terrible outside the veterinary field. Whether you be a nurse, waitress, or whatever else floats your boat. It looks like you found that out at a grocery store. However, the thing in vet med is that you will be frequently (perhaps moreso) dealing with people under severe financial and emotional stress who are more likely to snap at you. I highly recommend trying to forget that you basically said you reverted to veterinary medicine because you don't want to deal with fractious people. You won't get very far with that idea.

Agreed. Don't go into veterinary medicine because you don't want to work with people. You're going to have to as part of getting a history, managing a staff, and general customer service.

As far as AnSci vs. Bio goes, however, my two cents is that a Biology major will prepare you better for veterinary school (especially the first year), while Animal Science gives you a better understanding of animal husbandry. It's a trade-off. With my Bio degree, first year physiology, anatomy, and histology were, while not easy, at least easily understandable. On the other hand, I had to learn animal husbandry (especially large animal feeding/raising/breeding) quickly. Personally, I greatly appreciate my Bio degree, but I'm also the student who's more interested in research and public health than in private practice.

Does HA&P help you with animal anatomy?
Yes and no. On one hand I was really jealous of my classmates that had anatomy before vet school, and for the first week or so when they introduced directional terms, muscles, and superficial arteries/nerves, they seemed to not be struggling like I was. However, the pace quickly caught up with their prior knowledge, and by the first exam plenty of us who never had anatomy did just as well if not better than those that were exposed to it before.

I would take it if you find it interesting, though not having it prior to vet school is not a make or break situation.

As for Ansci versus Bio (or any other major), I would second the opinion to take the major you really like and can find yourself doing if vet school doesn't pan out. I personally was an Ansci major (with pretty much a minor in Bio), and found that a handful of classes from each was really really useful to me. I'm really glad I took Repro physiology and nutrition, though I'm also happy I took cell bio and microbio. Each school is a little different in what they offer so check out each of their curriculum and see which one you think you would really enjoy.

However, the pace quickly caught up with their prior knowledge, and by the first exam plenty of us who never had anatomy did just as well if not better than those that were exposed to it before.

That about sums it up for <any> pre-vet undergrad stuff. About the only true "this put me ahead of vet school" people I know of are people like.... well, I had one classmate who had a PhD in neuroscience, or something like that. Neurobio was not exactly a challenge for her like the rest of us.

But any of the rest of it .... biochem, anatomy, histology .... meh. Whatever. Not that it doesn't help you at least a little ... just that it's not something that gives you an 'advantage'. It's not something you should do if it's just because you're "worried" about doing well in vet school classes and want to get a head start or something. You're either going to survive vet school or you aren't - it won't have squat to do with whether you pre-exposed yourself to a particular topic like anatomy.

As for what to major in - totally agree: Being an animal science major isn't going to put you ahead of your classmates or give you a meaningful leg up in vet school. Major in something interesting to you that you feel will mesh well with future plans. If that's AnSci because you love it, great, go for it. But don't feel like you 'should' do it to get into vet school or to get a leg up in vet school.

I'm not in vet school so I can't really advise as to what will help once you get there, but I wouldn't be quite so quick to write of research all together. There is definitely lab research with mice, but where I go to school I've also had the opportunity to do research with horses and other large animals that I found to be very interesting. I honestly didn't think I would like research but I absolutely loved the project we did with the horses. And while I had a lot of experience handling horses before, I still learned a lot and the experience actually helped me get involved with an equine veterinary practice and I know a lot of people without prior experience learned a tremendous amount about handling large animals. I've also worked with mice and rats but most of what I worked on was behavioral research and none of it involved genetically altering the animals. Basically there are many, many different kinds of research besides genetically altering mice and I think getting at least some exposure before writing it off completely would be beneficial. Also, there are some vet schools like Penn really like seeing that you've had at least some research experience.

I've also worked with mice and rats but most of what I worked on was behavioral research and none of it involved genetically altering the animals. Basically there are many, many different kinds of research besides genetically altering mice and I think getting at least some exposure before writing it off completely would be beneficial. Also, there are some vet schools like Penn really like seeing that you've had at least some research experience.

Being devil's advocate here, but what's wrong with genetically altering mice anyways? :p

Being devil's advocate here, but what's wrong with genetically altering mice anyways? :p
I'll piggyback with this one just to say that every dog breed, cat breed, cattle breed, and horse breed or really any domesticated species has been "genetically altered." Sure it was a much slower process than some of the things we can do today, but the result is generally the same: a different geno/phenotype that we bred for for our own reasons (function, aesthetics, whatever).

Reactions: 3 users

I didn't mean to imply that there is anything wrong with genetically altering mice or any other animals (be it through selective breeding or through laboratory procedures) and I have absolutely nothing against it. I just meant to point out that there are also many other types of research and the OP shouldn't necessarily write off research experience as a whole if they personally have a problem with that type of research.

Animal Science can be a very helpful major because it tends to require most if not all of the classes that are pre-reqs for vet school, so you don't have to take extra classes on the side and you can instead take electives in other things that aren't vet-related. The big downside to Animal Science is that if you never get into vet school you may be stuck with a degree that doesn't have a lot of jobs available/isn't very interesting to you.

But at the same time, a Bachelor's in Biology is pretty worthless on the job market these days as well.

The pros and cons have been outlined pretty nicely for your major choice, but you should also consider non-related majors if neither has career prospects that appeal to you.

The downside, obviously is that you have to take prerequisites that do not count for credit for your degree. But, your major itself does not influence an admissions decision. You fould have a major in anything from art to political science, and still have a chance at admission as long as you've fulfilled the prerequisites and are a strong candidate.

That said, biology degrees can do something for you other than a research position. You could work at a nature center or with natural resource departments. It's also pretty common for many keepers at zoos and aquaria to have biology degrees. Some, but not all of these require advanced degrees. I got my bachelor's degree in biology in 2013 and some of my classmates are zookeepers now. If research is what deters you, there are alternatives. You just have to dig. Main problem with a biology degree is that your job and salary are limited without advanced training. Only you can figure out if that works for you once you've done the research.

Even then, research positions aren't as bad as you might think. There are plenty of fields beyond using animal models to study disease, toxicology, etc. Take a look at the faculty profiles at a four-year university you'd like to transfer to and you can see the variation there.

If you still don't like the alternative opportunities in either major, that's fine. Just keep in mind that you don't necessarily need to limit yourself to a traditional pre-vet major if you don't like the career alternatives there.

My #1 recommended for what we've done so far is biochem. Even though we're not doing the Krebs cycle or anything strictly biochem, knowing how things work, intercellular messaging systems, membrane receptors, that sort of thing has been invaluable.

Cell bio is a good choice. Personally, I'm very happy that I took undergrad anatomy and physiology (which also included a little histology). It's more fun this year when I have the basic info down and then can focus more on the details that the undergrad version didn't cover. If it counts towards your major electives, it could be a useful choice, but since you get the info in vet school it's probably not worth it if you'd have to pay a bunch extra or take longer to graduate or anything.

I agree on the accounting and stats and business advice. Very useful knowledge.

For the major - do something that you would enjoy and that would get you a degree that you'd want to use if you end up not going to vet school. I'm not trying to be discouraging, but it's smart to have a solid back-up plan. Some pre-vets choose majors like biology or animal science only because they think it's a good pre-vet program, and not because they like the program itself, and it seems like a bad idea to do that.
What they mean by working with animals isn't lab animal work, hun. In my Animal Science undergrad, I never touched lab animals. What I did have was hands-on experience on running cattle through a chute and how to properly restrain a dog for a routine blood draw in a clinic. I learned the types of food certain animal can or cannot have, different breeds. Some of my classmates took courses where they went out and milked dairy cows or teeth and tail clipped piglets (a routine safety measure so the piglets don't harm one another and incite infections), sheared sheep, and various other farm management practices.
The only thing I ever genetically altered was plants and bacteria, and that was making E. Coli luminesce through plasmid polymerization.
And what classes did you do that in?

I wasn't saying genetically altering mice was bad. I just don't want to do because of the harsh conditions they normally put animals in for testing things.
Also, I love learning new information so research wouldn't be horrible for me. I just don't want to do it. I want to be a practicing veterinarian.

As for the back up plan, I really don't know what else I would enjoy doing if I didn't get in.

Meh. If you mean science electives those are all ok, I guess. Genetics is required for most schools, isn't it? I wouldn't bother with parasit. Histo would be a good choice. Wouldn't bother with anatomy. Cell bio, another good choice. If you don't mean specifically science pre-reqs, I'd take a basic accounting class, a statistics class, and one or two (small-)business classes. Way more important long-term than the science stuff that you're going to get thrown at you in vet school anyway.

I would like to add having classes that are just fun. I took stained glass twice and will probably be taking it again next semester.

I actually wish I had been a fine arts major with the pre-vet minor at my school. I would have been a lot happier and probably would have done better. So remember that there are other majors out there besides AnSci and Bio.

I can't find anything about the two degrees having animal related jobs. I understand working in labs is animal related, but I'm not really into genetically altering mice for human benefit. (Mainly because I was a mice owner for years, and they're so sweet).
I wasn't saying genetically altering mice was bad. I just don't want to do because of the harsh conditions they normally put animals in for testing things.
Also, I love learning new information so research wouldn't be horrible for me. I just don't want to do it. I want to be a practicing veterinarian.

I feel like these two statements show that you don't really understand how lab animals of any species are treated or that they benefit both animals and humans, or what is involved in lab animal medicine.

Again, it sounds like you don't really know the full schtick of vet medicine. As many people have said, owners can be the worse and they can and do actually prevent you from helping animals sometimes and there is legally nothing you can do about it. Look into the suicide statistics for veterinarians and see that one of the highest causes for those statistics is due in part to owner decision making.

But at the same time, a Bachelor's in Biology is pretty worthless on the job market these days as well.

I would have to disagree with this to a certain point. There's definitely stuff you can do, you just have to be willing to look for it and to deal with the stuff that comes with it.

I actually wish I had been a fine arts major with the pre-vet minor at my school. I would have been a lot happier and probably would have done better. So remember that there are other majors out there besides AnSci and Bio.
Picking up my second major in English Writing was the best decision I ever made. The lit minor was pretty great too :)

I think either major can be helpful in vet school, but you should choose what you will be happiest doing for the next couple of years. If you like agriculture, meat sciences, food animal production, etc, pick animal science. If you're more of a traditional science person and like body processes, plants/animal, etc, pick bio. You'll have a lot more freedom of what classes you take in biology, and you can kinda make it go whichever way you want. My major is zoology, and I LOVE it. It used to be animal science, but I didn't realize how much judging, slaughter/meat cuts, and other commercial animal things we would be learning.. I'm much more of a science geek and love learning about the science of animals (animal behavior, herpetology, mammalogy, etc). Either way, I think both would help in vet school. HOWEVER (and I'm not trying to start an argument or hurt anyone's feelings), animal science classes are generally easier and less work-intensive than biology courses according to my advisor and pre-vet animal science friends.

You're thinking of toxin testing, which is becoming less and less common in lab animal medicine. Many lab animals (and especially mice) live just like pet mice: in a cage, with food and water and stuff for shredding with weekly cage changing. I know the common person's view of animal research is a negative one, but best not to talk about something that you don't have first hand experience with.

Most of my fellow vet students at UF had their undegrad degrees in Animal Science, but I majored in Zoology.

If I hadn't been accepted to vet school, my backup plan was a PhD and some sort of wildlife/conservation work, either at a university or for the government. Working with farm animals didn't appeal to me in any way. I have friends with Animal Science degrees who didn't get into vet school and ended up working on equine breeding farms as their backup plan, because that was more appealing to them. You can get into vet school with almost any major (one of my classmates was a music major!) as long as you take the prerequisites, so choose the major that provides the best backup plan.

Out of all of my elective classes, no any class I took period, statistics has been the most useful. It applies to every discipline and is necessary for any science field. I recommend that over all of these.

If you're ever considering working in an urban environment, if you can take enough Spanish classes to get to a conversationally acceptable level, it could help you out quite a bit. We have so little diversity in this profession that there really is a need for Spanish speaking vets.

I was thinking about taking Spanish or French, because in the states we need nad have tons of Spanish speaking people. Also me and my boyfriend really would love going to Europe and French would be good there for the places we want to go.

my degree required 4 semesters of a foreign language, and I did Spanish. Looking back, I wish I would have done a minor. We have a conversational class. Learning to speak the language would open so many doors!

I definitely suggest Spanish over French simply because it will be far more useful to you unless you actually plan on living in France. Spanish is the second most commonly spoken language in the States and you'd get more bang for your buck that way.

I definitely suggest Spanish over French simply because it will be far more useful to you unless you actually plan on living in France. Spanish is the second most commonly spoken language in the States and you'd get more bang for your buck that way.
Yup. My beau is an Italian dude who is more or less fluent in French, as was my German ex. Even living in Europe, I don't think French was all that helpful for them...