PhD/PsyD What are the Best GRE Study Guides for 2014?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LivingOffLoans

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do people recommend for a realistic, challenging study? The Princeton Review seems like a generic intro to standardized testing. I'm pretty confident with vocabulary, but really could use some good explanation and increased skill in the quantitative section. Essays will be fine.

I'm open to online programs, and really, any reputable study source. It doesn't have to be just books.

Members don't see this ad.

I did the Kaplan GRE prep course and found it very helpful. I had about a 300 point bump from practice scores before the course compared to my actual test. I was more than a decade out of High School when I took the GRE so I found it especially helpful as a reminder of basic math principles, as well as giving great practice at the types of questions asked on the test.

It wasn't cheap, but I believe my GRE score played a large part in getting an interview for grad school.

Excellent. Who did you use for practice tests before Kaplan? Sounds it was worth it.

The math is really my biggest sticking point too. Been out of high school a while as well.

How did you find the difficulty level of the vocabulary to be in the actual GRE vs. with your Kaplan course? I am trying to read more poetry and sophisticated fiction to expand my lexicon