What are the best Podiatry Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Podman said:
i'm a student at OCPM, and to be honest its not that bad. The curriculum is strong but i'm not the biggest fan of the professors although quite a few of them already teach at Case western reserve but thats just me. The material is there so its pretty much upto you to follow, learn, and ask questions when necessary. The curriculum is definately good enough to get you going to the clinic and this is probably our strongest asset - clinical exposure. We have rotations at university hospital and the cleveland clinic foundation. In addition, our DPM facculty are really experienced and well trainied - we are fortunate enough to work with them at the VA hospital, cleveland foot and ankle clinic, and the surgical suites of the cleveland clinic.

To clarify our Case western reserve university affiliation, we share some of their basic science professors and their health insurance plans - but thats it really. We don't share classes with anyone - so our only interaction with other health professionals, MD, or DO students is through our VA, university hospitals, and cleveland clinic rotations.

Anyways, I'm not claiming this is the best podiatry school by any means but what i'm saying is that with alot of effort on your part, you should be able to graduate from our school with enough confidence to succeed in residency training. If you have any questoins, please feel free to pm me at any time

good luck with your decisions

Podman,
I completely agree with you when you say, your education is what you make it. It doesn't matter what school you go to, they all offer the education you need. If you don't do the work, it doesn't matter where you go.

Members don't see this ad.

Dr_Feelgood said:
Podman,
I completely agree with you when you say, your education is what you make it. It doesn't matter what school you go to, they all offer the education you need. If you don't do the work, it doesn't matter where you go.

I'm definately a firm believer of making the most out of your education experience. The way I look at it is that the information is available and its pretty much upto the student to take the initiative and time invested to learn the material. At this level, we're adults, professionals, and should be able to manage our time - The big picture in all this is that we're studying to be doctors in our fields right? If we don't have the passion to handle the education of basic sciences and if we can't manage our time then we shouldn't be here.

Podman said:
I'm definately a firm believer of making the most out of your education experience. The way I look at it is that the information is available and its pretty much upto the student to take the initiative and time invested to learn the material. At this level, we're adults, professionals, and should be able to manage our time - The big picture in all this is that we're studying to be doctors in our fields right? If we don't have the passion to handle the education of basic sciences and if we can't manage our time then we shouldn't be here.

I agree with you all that you mke your education what it is. And that anyone can get a great education at any of the schools.

I just think some of the schools have a better more encouraging learning environment.

And if a school has a bad reputation even if you get a great education there other pods will wonder why you chose that school.

It is sort of like going to Harvard. maybe you graduated last in your class in basketweaving but since it is a harvard degree people think you must be smart.

And the same thing goes for meeger undergrads (can't think of one at the moment) if you graduated 1st in your class no one will know and they will just think that you were not smart enough to get into a better school.

Members don't see this ad :)
krabmas said:
I agree with you all that you mke your education what it is. And that anyone can get a great education at any of the schools.

I just think some of the schools have a better more encouraging learning environment.

And if a school has a bad reputation even if you get a great education there other pods will wonder why you chose that school.

It is sort of like going to Harvard. maybe you graduated last in your class in basketweaving but since it is a harvard degree people think you must be smart.

And the same thing goes for meeger undergrads (can't think of one at the moment) if you graduated 1st in your class no one will know and they will just think that you were not smart enough to get into a better school.

Unfortunate, but true. :thumbup: Don't settle for an "okay" program if you know you deserve the best education out there. You'll be glad you didn't sell yourself short when others recognize how hard you have worked.

gustydoc said:
Unfortunate, but true. :thumbup: Don't settle for an "okay" program if you know you deserve the best education out there. You'll be glad you didn't sell yourself short when others recognize how hard you have worked.

which is precisely the reason I tell everyone to shoot for the best schools and not depend on location or other insignificant factors.

krabmas said:
which is precisely the reason I tell everyone to shoot for the best schools and not depend on location or other insignificant factors.

I think it was well said that you can get a great education anywhere, but some schools make it easier to succeed.

krabmas said:

I agree of course, that better schools will provide for you a better environment to succeed. I totally agree that one should aim for the best of his/her potential. But, this still doesn't change the fact that it is upto the student to learn, absorb, and apply the material presented. A mediocre student at a "top class" school still would not match up with a hardworking student at a "less than top class" school. Remember, in healthcare we are judged by what we can provide for the patient not the credentials that we have.

Podman said:
I agree of course, that better schools will provide for you a better environment to succeed. I totally agree that one should aim for the best of his/her potential. But, this still doesn't change the fact that it is upto the student to learn, absorb, and apply the material presented. A mediocre student at a "top class" school still would not match up with a hardworking student at a "less than top class" school. Remember, in healthcare we are judged by what we can provide for the patient not the credentials that we have.

This statement assumes that everyone that goes into healthcare goes into it to run a private practice.

Please remember that some people want to go into academia, research, law, politics....

yes - you are correct that the patient is what matters and what you can provide for them if you are in the private practice world.

For the other options I listed it can make a difference which school you went to and not just how you did at that school.

I went to a public university and felt that I received a very good education. My school is consistently ranked by U.S. News and World Report and has a great reputation for areas such as medicine and education. However, I must agree with many of the previous remarks made on this forum, the reputation of your school does matter.

Throughout college I heard my friends say, "If you do well here, you have just as good of a chance of getting into a top grad program as you would if you went to Harvard or Yale." HMMMM, No you wouldn't!!!

The bottom line is (and this is pretty unfair) education is an elitist microcosm and the reputation of the school does matter. Lets face it, anytime we have met someone who went to an Ivy League school, we automatically assumed, "This person is smart." Even if they had a C avg. in college, it didn't matter. As a matter of name, we assumed they were highly intelligent. The same proves true in graduate school. Some schools just set you up better.

Now, as podiatry schools are in small number, I don't think there is quite the competition as with medical schools, however, be not mistaken, there are residency programs that take grads from certain schools. These residency programs are like small fraternities.

Recently, I spoke with a podiatrist friend of mine who went to TUSPM. He told me that nearly everyone who went to his residency is a Temple grad. As I am going to Scholl, I asked him would I have a chance of getting into his residency program. He told me that he had great respect for Scholl as did most of the country, but the good ole boys at his residency all went to Temple and that was who they were going to accept.

Remember, bust your ass is school, but also remember, some doors may already be shut no matter how well you do.

mrfeet said:
I went to a public university and felt that I received a very good education. My school is consistently ranked by U.S. News and World Report and has a great reputation for areas such as medicine and education. However, I must agree with many of the previous remarks made on this forum, the reputation of your school does matter.

Throughout college I heard my friends say, "If you do well here, you have just as good of a chance of getting into a top grad program as you would if you went to Harvard or Yale." HMMMM, No you wouldn't!!!

The bottom line is (and this is pretty unfair) education is an elitist microcosm and the reputation of the school does matter. Lets face it, anytime we have met someone who went to an Ivy League school, we automatically assumed, "This person is smart." Even if they had a C avg. in college, it didn't matter. As a matter of name, we assumed they were highly intelligent. The same proves true in graduate school. Some schools just set you up better.

Now, as podiatry schools are in small number, I don't think there is quite the competition as with medical schools, however, be not mistaken, there are residency programs that take grads from certain schools. These residency programs are like small fraternities.

Recently, I spoke with a podiatrist friend of mine who went to TUSPM. He told me that nearly everyone who went to his residency is a Temple grad. As I am going to Scholl, I asked him would I have a chance of getting into his residency program. He told me that he had great respect for Scholl as did most of the country, but the good ole boys at his residency all went to Temple and that was who they were going to accept.

Remember, bust your ass is school, but also remember, some doors may already be shut no matter how well you do.

I completely agree with you on this. It may be only slightly possible to get into that program from another school but why set yourself up for slim chances.

krabmas said:
I completely agree with you on this. It may be only slightly possible to get into that program from another school but why set yourself up for slim chances.

Every school (and medical field) has affiliations and relationships (good ole boy network) to programs. Most of the top programs take students from all of the schools. I think that is why they are the top programs b/c of the level of competition.

~BaByGuRl~ said:
I was wondering what school is good. I'm thinking about staying in FL. What do you all think about Barry University?

Well, I live in Florida. Personally, from what I read, I would not pick Barry. It would be close to the last choice. Very close.

But I might be biased - I've lived here fifteen years, and I'm ready to get the heck out!

Nocturnius said:
Well, I live in Florida. Personally, from what I read, I would not pick Barry. It would be close to the last choice. Very close.

But I might be biased - I've lived here fifteen years, and I'm ready to get the heck out!

I lived in FL and I learned that it is nice to visit. Old people everywhere and now of them know how to drive. You've got tourist getting in your way. And hurricanes and rain and rain and humidity and rain and rain and hurricanes and rain.

I love the state, but I'll jut buy a time share. :D

Dr_Feelgood said:
I lived in FL and I learned that it is nice to visit. Old people everywhere and now of them know how to drive. You've got tourist getting in your way. And hurricanes and rain and rain and humidity and rain and rain and hurricanes and rain.

I love the state, but I'll jut buy a time share. :D

Very wise choice! :laugh: I don't mind the hurricanes too much - my area isn't very high-risk for them and we just get a whole bunch of rain (admittedly, they can be fun sometimes) - but everything else, most definitely a bother!

I was accepted to all the schools and interviewed at all the East coast ones, plus Scholl and Des Moines. No contest, Temple is the clear choice if you are looking for a well rounded program. The clinic is high volume so you will see a lot of pathologies (and a lot nicer than NYCPM). As far as facilities go, Des Moines is the winner. But the downside is you have an hour in between each patient, so you're not going to get a lot of experience, which is the whole point of going to school. Furthermore, Temple has just gotten the approval for a 3 million dollar brand new anatomy lab and a 7 million dollar ambulatory surgery center to be done in August 2017. So it was an easy choice for me.

Reactions: 2 users
They've already taken measurements in the lab and say it would be renovated by the time y'all are going to use it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

I was accepted to all the schools and interviewed at all the East coast ones, plus Scholl and Des Moines. No contest, Temple is the clear choice if you are looking for a well rounded program. The clinic is high volume so you will see a lot of pathologies (and a lot nicer than NYCPM). As far as facilities go, Des Moines is the winner. But the downside is you have an hour in between each patient, so you're not going to get a lot of experience, which is the whole point of going to school. Furthermore, Temple has just gotten the approval for a 3 million dollar brand new anatomy lab and a 7 million dollar ambulatory surgery center to be done in August 2017. So it was an easy choice for me.

Insightful. Thank you