what are the chances/costs of getting a UK training position after MRCS ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahmedabady2005

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone
I heard several times and on many forums that MRCS for IMG is such a useless and silly idea because you wont be able to get a training spot in the uk system to be eligible for the frcs exit exam (especially after the new visa laws which mandate that the uk gov must give visa issuing priority to EU nationals)
so it's practically impossible to get the visa if you're non EU IMG
so you will end up with an entry diploma with no path for progress
I'd like to know your opinions
also i'd like to ask (out of curiosity) how much does it cost to get trained in the UK including everything?
thanks for reading this

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I am aware you would really struggle to get a training post.
You could however work in Trust posts at registrar level. You would need the MRCS for this. In theory if you did well and were supported you could get something that is equivalent to a CCT and eventually apply for consultant posts. Getting this is rare, getting a consultant post out of it even more so.

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I am aware you would really struggle to get a training post.
You could however work in Trust posts at registrar level. You would need the MRCS for this. In theory if you did well and were supported you could get something that is equivalent to a CCT and eventually apply for consultant posts. Getting this is rare, getting a consultant post out of it even more so.
thanks so much .... this basically confirm that if you're an IMG, you have to forget about the uk route

I beg to differ.

As a previous non-EU, I got into and completed training and have been awarded CCT and a consultant post.

Anything is possible

I beg to differ.

As a previous non-EU, I got into and completed training and have been awarded CCT and a consultant post.

Anything is possible

How did you do that, when was this as well. Things may have changed since then. Are you saying you were a non-EU grad with non-EU citizenship and you were able to come to the UK for speciality training?

I beg to differ.

Anything is possible

Unless you are a GP which I am assuming you aren't as you are referring to yourself as a consultant the rules regarding all of these things have changed at least twice since you would have started training.