What are the chances of a URM with a 2.9/3.0cGPA, 3.2sGPA, and 20+ DAT being accepted somewhere?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Godspeedyou

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Asssuming he applied broadly and had decent ECs? Would it even be worth trying without an SMP?

Thanks friends

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say the chances were good if he applied broadly and early and had great Extra-curriculars.

Reactions: 1 users
You sound just like me lol. I made a similar post today: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/under-3-0-gpa-chance-for-dental-school.1162394/ . After reading all the posts in the "Under 3.0 club pt. 2" thread... http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/the-under-3-0-club-part-02.362708/ ... I am convinced that it is possible to get into select dental schools without doing an SMP... AS LONG AS YOU... BLOW THE DAT OUT THE WATER with an insanely good score 23+ and have other POSITIVE ATTRIBUTES on your application (lots of shadowing, research experience, leadership etc). Although your (and my) chances of getting into Harvard or UCLA are realistically probably close to 0% +pity+lol... keep in mind that certain dental schools such as Meharry (avg gpa 3.2) have lower admission statistics :highfive: If you do exceptionally well on the DAT and have other good attributes on your application that separate you from the rest... I believe you have a chance to get in somewhere! Although its unlikely... many people have slipped through the cracks. Read the "Under 3.0 club" threads if you don't believe me :cool:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I Have those exact stats but a 22 DAT and a 2.96 overall 3.2 BCP great E.C's, I have four interviews already.

Reactions: 3 users
I Have those exact stats but a 22 DAT and a 2.96 overall 3.2 BCP great E.C's, I have four interviews already.

Where did you receive interviews from and are you also a URM? Hope you don't mind me asking but we have similar BCP gpa!!

Where did you receive interviews from and are you also a URM? Hope you don't mind me asking but we have similar BCP gpa!!
I don't know what a URM is but I got interviews to Lecom, UDM, Indiana, and ATSU. Yea man I hope it all works out for you bro i'm really blessed. One thing I learned from this experience is that schools really look at the character of the student, not only the gpa of the student and the DAT score. A lot of the things you read on this website are not to be taken 100 percent true and no one knows who is reading your application or what that person is looking for in a student. I know that I did reach out to a lot of schools and made sure they knew who I was.

Reactions: 1 user
Just out of curiosity, how did you "reach out" to the schools you applied to? Did you just call and ask how you could make your application better? Also, who did you contact at the dental school? I would also like to touch base with a few of the schools that I applied to, but I wasn't sure how to go about it. Thanks!
I set up meetings with the admissions director of my main choice of school and spoke with him before the cycle started. Usually when the cycle does start you cant meet with the admissions director anymore. But we just spoke and had a good conversation he told me what he wanted from me and he liked me alot I got one of the first interviews at that school after that.