What are the implications of withdrawing from dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GobBluth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a peculiar situation, though I imagine it has happened to a few applicants in the past.

I have committed to a dental school here in the States and plan on attending in August. However, I am a Canadian student and was recently waitlisted at a couple Canadian schools. My home school tells me my position on the waitlist, and based on past waitlist behaviour, I have been told it is very likely I will be accepted, but may have to wait a very long time for it to happen (it will likely happen in mid-August).

And there-in lies the dilemma; I will be in the States, a week or two into school, when and if I receive the acceptance from my home school. Both dental students here and my family and friends have been telling me to simply attend the American school, and see what happens. If/when I get into my home school, simply move back home.

I am wondering the implications of this course of action. I understand that my spots at these schools are exceptionally valuable and people would kill to be in my situation. I also understand it can be perceived as exceptionally expensive, effortful and selfish to go through with this. I want to emphasize that it is by no means my intention to be selfish, but I value my home and family greatly. If I have the opportunity to attend my home school, and stay with my family for at least another 4 years, then that is worth the world to me, and the financial implications and logistics does not matter. However, I do NOT want to throw away my current acceptance. It DOES have exceptional value to me; and if I attend there I will be very happy. But, if I can stay with my family, that's worth even more.

I am merely wondering, does withdrawing from a dental school (albeit for personal, not academic or disciplinary reasons), hurt me some way in the future? I know my home school has no issue with it (they even allow current dental students to apply to their first-year DDS program as a regular applicant), but I am concerned with perhaps future work in the States, ie. residencies & specializing. Remember that section on applicants that asks, "Have you ever withdrawn from a dental education institution," or something along those lines? I will have to answer "Yes." Does the ADEA care? Will schools/hospitals care that I withdrew from a school in order to attend another one?

I am only concerned with the career implications in this respect. I know to many this may seem reckless, expensive, and deplorable. I may be throwing away tens of thousands of dollars in tuition and living costs. But after 5 years away from my family, the cost and effort is not a concern. I don't wish to spend another 4 away, particularly not when afterward, my life and career are underway and I will likely have to move away from home anyways.

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

So if money isn't an option, are you saying that you would be willing to pay for your first semester in dental school in the states and also pay for first semester in Canada? That could be a $20,000-$40,000 decision. If you start dental school in the states, you will have taken out loans for that semester, so keep that in mind.

Why are you worried about the repercussions from a dental school in the states? It sounds like you will end up in Canada anyway.

I understand the financial implications. It's something both my family and I are prepared for.

And as for why I'm concerned, it's because at this point I'm still not in dental school, and I have no idea where my future will take me. What if eventually I want to specialize and need to move to the States for a residency? Does withdrawing affect my ability to do that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Usually, schools don't require tuition be paid on the start date. You might be able to wait it out and not pay the tuition and just withdraw if you get in.

I'd say just wait it out and forget about the consequences. You have to put your priorities first, and it sounds like you've made them clear.

Usually, schools don't require tuition be paid on the start date. You might be able to wait it out and not pay the tuition and just withdraw if you get in.

I understand that, but that's not my main concern. I know the school would rather have a student than tuition, but I'd still feel bad about taking advantage of them like that. I don't mind paying the tuition if I have to.

Please, let's not focus on the perceived fiscal gaffe I'm making here. That's not part of my concern at the moment. :oops:

I'd say just wait it out and forget about the consequences. You have to put your priorities first, and it sounds like you've made them clear.

I hear what you're saying, but I just want to make sure that I know what I'm doing. I'd hate to run into trouble years down the road unexpectedly because of what I'm doing now. I want to fully understand the implications of my actions.

What do people think about asking the school? About being completely honest? Is that kosher or am I digging my own grave?

I think you have to do what's best for you. Just go with the flow for now...If an acceptance comes your way, then deal with it. Both schools will work something out to make you happy--I'm sure of that.

Would the "couple" of Can ds be as ambivalent about the quickie divorce if they were on the receiving end?

Would the "couple" of Can ds be as ambivalent about the quickie divorce if they were on the receiving end?

I don't believe there's any way they would even know, since one school is under the ADEA and the other on the CDA. Besides, he's already been waitlisted. ie. he's already applied, interviewed, and been given an admissions decision. He just has to wait for them to call.

I don't believe there's any way they would even know, since one school is under the ADEA and the other on the CDA. Besides, he's already been waitlisted. ie. he's already applied, interviewed, and been given an admissions decision. He just has to wait for them to call.

Yeah, pretty much. I haven't called to ask them specifically as I'm afraid of rocking any boats, but I don't see how they would know.

I'm only worried about the American side of it, really.

Anyone have any advice on just asking the school I'm currently accepted to about it? Should I be honest or am I making a mistake there?

It appears that there are a couple of ds, a few applicants, their friends and relatives, in need of a refresher course in ethics.

Double check about your position on the waitlist and how likely it is to get in either with the school or through online forums, etc. If it really is pretty likely, don't waste the money to fly there, get a place to stay, move all your stuff, and potentially pay tuition only to come back. Reject the American schools' offers and wait at home. Plus, this is the ethical and non-ashhole way to go as has been pointed out.

Double check about your position on the waitlist and how likely it is to get in either with the school or through online forums, etc. If it really is pretty likely, don't waste the money to fly there, get a place to stay, move all your stuff, and potentially pay tuition only to come back. Reject the American schools' offers and wait at home. Plus, this is the ethical and non-ashhole way to go as has been pointed out.

I will only say that you will be hard-pressed to find someone who would, even if given an 85% chance they will be admitted off a waitlist, give up their other spot/acceptance before they knew for sure, for the sake of being fair or ethical. I know everyone here preaches an upright moral stance that they believe all dentists/doctors/etc. should uphold, but I believe an incredible minority of applicants would actually accept that 15% risk that they will end up not going to any dental school. However small, it cannot be ignored, and very few people would accept it. If they do, then they're being sentimental, not rational.

Bump for anyone else's opinions. I'm not concerned about money, being selfish, etc. I've addressed that all in my original post. I'm looking to know what this could do to me in the future.

Thank you!

Bump for anyone else's opinions. I'm not concerned about money, being selfish, etc. I've addressed that all in my original post. I'm looking to know what this could do to me in the future.

Thank you!

There's really no straight answer and there's really only one way you're going to find out how or if it will affect you later professionally. Even if 20 people share their
I-was-in-your-shoes-and-this-is-what-happened-to-me story, it's a very case-by-case scenario. It's certainly a blemish on your journey, but whether future employers/residencies/programs find out or notice or to what extent they'll care is anyone's guess. I know you're probably looking for concrete repercussions to help your decision, but I just don't think there are any absolutes. It's a gamble.

It's quite possible it would never come up in the future. But all the ethics and money stuff aside, if you think there's a good chance you'll end up back in the states for additional schooling, I'd worry that you will have a hard time convincing a program that you won't do the same to them if they find out. It might not explicitly ask on an application, but you'll never know what background checks they'll do or what might come up in an interview.

I saw this happen a few times while I was in school - Canadian student comes to orientation and is gone by day 2 or week 2 due to a last minute acceptance to a Canadian school. I don't see how it would affect future residency applications in the US since you wouldn't stay at the US school long enough to generate a transcript with any grades on it. It's like you weren't even there. Now if you withdrew after the first semester and had a transcript with a semester's worth of grades on it, then that would be a different story because you'd have to explain why you withdrew. If the reason is that you transferred to another dental school, well then that would be fine. We had a guy in my class who did an entire year with us before being accepted as a D2 transfer student in Canada. Another girl did D1 at a US dental school, did the summer session at my dental school (her second US dental school), and then was gone at the end of summer to start at her third and final dental school as a D2, a Canadian dental school. In your case, you'd be starting the Canadian school from day 1 and your transcript would reflect that the entire DDS curriculum was completed there.

And no job would ever care that you withdrew from one school to attend another. They only care that you have a current license, a pulse, maybe a personality if you get a good associateship, and maybe good hand skills if you work somewhere that values the quality of your work.

I saw this happen a few times while I was in school - Canadian student comes to orientation and is gone by day 2 or week 2 due to a last minute acceptance to a Canadian school. I don't see how it would affect future residency applications in the US since you wouldn't stay at the US school long enough to generate a transcript with any grades on it. It's like you weren't even there. Now if you withdrew after the first semester and had a transcript with a semester's worth of grades on it, then that would be a different story because you'd have to explain why you withdrew. If the reason is that you transferred to another dental school, well then that would be fine. We had a guy in my class who did an entire year with us before being accepted as a D2 transfer student in Canada. Another girl did D1 at a US dental school, did the summer session at my dental school (her second US dental school), and then was gone at the end of summer to start at her third and final dental school as a D2, a Canadian dental school. In your case, you'd be starting the Canadian school from day 1 and your transcript would reflect that the entire DDS curriculum was completed there.

And no job would ever care that you withdrew from one school to attend another. They only care that you have a current license, a pulse, maybe a personality if you get a good associateship, and maybe good hand skills if you work somewhere that values the quality of your work.

Thank you for the straight answer, Gryffindor! I had figured that this had happened in the past to a few students. Admittedly, this is precisely what I wanted to hear, and I'm glad I've heard it. I'm still open to input, but I am glad that it's not unheard of/an uncommon occurrence. I suppose that if/when the time comes, I will simply be completely honest with the school, and try to work with them to make the transition as simple and smooth as possible. If it happens early on in the year, maybe they can extend a last-minute offer to a waitlist applicant.

I think you need to take what you're given and not expect anything else. If for some reason you don't get off the waitlist, you're SOL if you decide not to go to the US school. If you do get off the waitlist, count your blessings because you'll be saving a fortune compared to attending any American dental school for 4 years. The money that you lose over the 1st semester will be negligible.

I doubt withdrawing will impact you negatively in the future. I certainly would understand as an employer especially when we're talking about a 200K+ swing.

I think you need to take what you're given and not expect anything else. If for some reason you don't get off the waitlist, you're SOL if you decide not to go to the US school. If you do get off the waitlist, count your blessings because you'll be saving a fortune compared to attending any American dental school for 4 years. The money that you lose over the 1st semester will be negligible.

I doubt withdrawing will impact you negatively in the future. I certainly would understand as an employer especially when we're talking about a 200K+ swing.

Did you read my original post? I'm fully aware of this, which is why I'm asking in the first place. I'm not going to give up my current acceptances based on a likelihood of getting in somewhere else. There are no absolutes, and acting as though there are would be irrational and misguided.

Sounds like you've pretty much made up your mind on what you're going to do if "X" happens. Are you just trying to feel better about you're going to do if you get accepted to a Canadian dental school? lol Yes, I think most ppl would not gamble their dental school acceptance.

:beat:

Sounds like you've pretty much made up your mind on what you're going to do if "X" happens. Are you just trying to feel better about you're going to do if you get accepted to a Canadian dental school? lol Yes, I think most ppl would not gamble their dental school acceptance.

:beat:

I think I made that obvious. I just wanted to know about what sort of possible repercussions or consequences I would face. I must admit, I doubt anything anyone could say would stop me; but I do want to fully understand anything that might happen, so I'm not surprised in the future. I don't want to hear about alternative paths, how much money, time and effort it's going to cost, or how selfish people think I am. I just want to get a grasp on what might happen because I WILL be doing this. Not whether or not it's right, not whether or not it's possible.