What are the residency programs that dentists get paid for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JakeSill

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In some residency you don't get paid. How does that work? What are the hours like then if you don't get paid? Will you be able to hold a full or part time job to get some income while you do the residency? Does the residency at least provide benefits such as health insurance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Why are you asking a bunch of pre dents? If you are a dental student already, go to the dental forum where people may know the answer to your question

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

In a vast majority of the cases, you pay for your own residency. I've looked into it, and they usually don't want you to work either. Not like you'd really have time to do so anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
OMFS and GPR residencies are the ones which pay. The vast majority of residencies in other specialties not only don't pay you, but in fact charge a hefty tuition for you to attend them.

Why are you asking a bunch of pre dents? If you are a dental student already, go to the dental forum where people may know the answer to your question

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Why are you so hostile? Are you going to answer your patients the same way? Need a change of attitude, maybe a diaper too?

Reactions: 2 users
Why are you so hostile? Are you going to answer your patients the same way? Need a change of attitude, maybe a diaper too?

Oh, I am so sorry if I hurt that little sensitive heart of yours. So sad

Come on guys lets just all get along.
:happy:

Reactions: 1 users
Oh, I am so sorry if I hurt that little sensitive heart of yours. So sad
You seem very irritated, a new diaper is definitely needed. Have fun at interviews with that attitude, the admins will love you loooool

OMFS and GPR residencies are the ones which pay. The vast majority of residencies in other specialties not only don't pay you, but in fact charge a hefty tuition for you to attend them.
Hooray for more loans! :)

GPR/AEGD programs and many (but not all) Pediatric Dentistry residencies offer a stipend.

Reactions: 1 users
Majority: OMS, PEDO, Dental Anesthesia, AEGD, GPR, Oral facial Pain. All other specialties have at least 3 programs that pay but are highly competitive to get into.