what are the weirdest interview questions you've been asked?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2school4cool

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just curious. also anybody dare to list the snarkiest comment ever uttered by an interviewer?

Mine you ask? all from columbia:
1. what were your SAT scores? (one of the first questions asked):smack:

2. if you got into UCLA would you go there over here because you seem to have very strong ties to that school (i've heard rumors that it's illegal to ask what school an applicant would even choose) i was like a deer in headlights for this one...:eek:

3. what other interviews do you have? :cool:

4. was kaplan useful?
(this one was odd cuz i said, "Of course. Any supplemental material is useful. The science/rq/qr sections were dead on but the PAT was watered down. And an added perk was a dental student taught it and gave us tips and stuff. THEN my interviewer proceeded to contradict me in an accusatory, supercilious manner and said, ‘oh well I’ve asked other students who didn’t take the lecture portion like you but they said that Kaplan material wasn’t useful at all and the questions on Kaplan didn’t resemble the real DAT.” :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I was asked,

"When it rains, do you walk or do you run?"

Members don't see this ad :)
I responded, "I.... walk ?" to which my interview said "Ok great, thank you" and walked me out...this was at the end of my interview, talk about an awkward ending. Needless to say I was accepted Dec 1st :p

I responded, "I.... walk ?" to which my interview said "Ok great, thank you" and walked me out...this was at the end of my interview, talk about an awkward ending. Needless to say I was accepted Dec 1st :p

I think walk is a good response..maybe you can handle the stress of the rain? I don't know I wonder if he was just trying to be weird or deep.

I've heard you supposedly get "less" wet if you walk through the rain as opposed to run...and I walk because I would rather be stuck in the rain longer than rush and slip...thats what I would have said haha

At my interview in NYU, the interviewer asked me if I liked to lift weights at the gym or not. Then she asked me if I followed MMA. Best interview ever.

"So what are some of the hardest questions you've been asked at other interviews"

Interviewer: so what do you like to do for fun
me: work out, yoga, basketball..
interviewer: do you think you could take me in basketball
me: uhh no prob not

"Are you registered to vote"
me: yes of course
"people who arent registered dont get in here hahaha"

At my Temple group interview the guy asked us what we thought of each of the other people in the room. It was so awkward to tell someone what you thought about them right in front of them and then listen to what people thought of you haha. Luckily the 4 of us had actually sat near each other at lunch and had talked to each other a little. How do they expect you to talk about someone you only met like 4 hours ago? Not only that, but when you're listening to all of those presentations you aren't talking to each other.

"So what are some of the hardest questions you've been asked at other interviews"

Interviewer: so what do you like to do for fun
me: work out, yoga, basketball..
interviewer: do you think you could take me in basketball
me: uhh no prob not

"Are you registered to vote"
me: yes of course
"people who arent registered dont get in here hahaha"

I woulda have said one of two things to that:

1. Yea, I know for a fact I will (just beat my friend on my school ball team one on one for record lol)
2. If I win you'll accept me, deal? :)

Okay I was not lucky enough to be asked these weirdo questions but the docs I work with have shared some questions they got asked 'way back when' in order to prepare me for some of the off the wall questions I could potentially get asked:

Question from Harvard: "If you were a building, what type of building would you be?"

Question from Case: "If a button fell off your suit right now, what would you do?"

Members don't see this ad :)
I was asked, "What type of person do you not get along with?" I had no idea, so I was like well there is not a particular type of person I don't get along with....(I was think ppl that ask dumb questions tho) Anyways, he proceeded to make fun of me, starting every sentence with "Since you get along with EVERYONE..." It was funny to me, I didn't really care.

"If you could be any animal, what would you be and why, and how would that make you a good dentist"

just an excerpt from the most awful interview experience ever.

Okay I was not lucky enough to be asked these weirdo questions but the docs I work with have shared some questions they got asked 'way back when' in order to prepare me for some of the off the wall questions I could potentially get asked:

Question from Harvard: "If you were a building, what type of building would you be?"

Question from Case: "If a button fell off your suit right now, what would you do?"

haha... one of my buttons fell off my suit at my Western University interview...

haha... one of my buttons fell off my suit at my Western University interview...

as soon as i finished my 2nd interview at CASE(!) and we were walking to the elevator to go back down to the office, i buttoned my jacket and the button fell right off.
awesome. 1st interview ever. and the first time wearing the suit

Here are a couple:

If you were a tree, what kind would you be and why?

If you had unlimited funds, where would you spend the next 2 weeks? Why there?

What is your favorite color?

"If you could be any animal, what would you be and why, and how would that make you a good dentist"

just an excerpt from the most awful interview experience ever.

I was asked the same question by my Uconn interview. I was prepared for it though and had an answer ready for them.

I was asked the same question by my Uconn interview. I was prepared for it though and had an answer ready for them.

good for you...

I'm here talking about how that question was part of a bad interview experience and then you come back at me saying that you had the same question and it was no problem for you? Thanks

Last edited:
my interviewer farted and i burst out laughing. He then asked me why I was laughing and what I'd do if a patient farted and felt offended if I farted. Needless to say, it was funny and a bad experience because I got wait-listed..lol

I was asked,

"When it rains, do you walk or do you run?"

I would have responded walk. If asked why, I would have followed up with, "Don't you watch Mythbusters"?

good for you...

I'm here talking about how that question was part of a bad interview experience and then you come back at me saying that you had the same question and it was no problem for you? Thanks

you're attending harvard? surely you aren't really offended by his silly remark anyway...

good for you...

LOL...i was stumped by the same question at the H's interview.

good for you...

Bitter much? :rolleyes:

Bitter much? :rolleyes:

Haha I'm not bitter...I just thought it was kind of a lame move to be like...oh yeah I had that question and it was no problem for me, sucks to be you.

In the long run it doesnt matter, and everything ended up working out just fine for me, with said experience not being at one of my top choices, but still the whole thing...interviewer, questions, overall attitude...just stunk.

my interviewer farted and i burst out laughing. He then asked me why I was laughing and what I'd do if a patient farted and felt offended if I farted. Needless to say, it was funny and a bad experience because I got wait-listed..lol

Thank God that did not happen to me. I tend to be a bit immature and I would have been done for the rest of the day! That sucks you got wait-listed dude, but that is a great story!! Thanks for sharing!!

Scott

Question: "What's the worst news you've ever had to deliver? How did you do it? What was the result?"

Answer: "..."

One Interviewer asked me what my religion was and I wasn't expecting that question, I thought they are not supposed to ask me that.

One Interviewer asked me what my religion was and I wasn't expecting that question, I thought they are not supposed to ask me that.

As far as I know...that breaks about 3409320493 laws...

"Why do you think America ranks so low in the world in terms of our longevity?"

"Would you support a health program, offered by dentists, that attempted to implement a healthier lifestyle for children?"

Those were the most random.

"If you could back in time to any time period or event, where would you go and why?"

I pulled an Anne Frank and said I would go back to WWII and save the Jews...hahahaha....I got rejected two weeks later......oh well!

"If you could back in time to any time period or event, where would you go and why?"

I pulled an Anne Frank and said I would go back to WWII and save the Jews...hahahaha....I got rejected two weeks later......oh well!

I would have said the time when google became public so I can buy 1000 shares so I wouldnt have to be in this interview tryin to think of a great answer to say :D

Hahaha. Did you say that cause your interviewer was Jewish?

Hahaha. Did you say that cause your interviewer was Jewish?

No they weren't Jewish, but I am.....I was just trying to sound altruistic in my answer.....apparently it didn't work.

Last edited:
"so......why on earth did you take a class called Murder?"

lol

good for you...

I wasxnt trying to shortchange you, I thought it was a rediculous question. A friend asked me that question the night before my interview so I was lucky and I was prepared for it. However it was still the most difficult and stupidest question I was asked at any interview.

so what is your favorite subject? and least favorite and why?

me : I like biochem b/c I like how changes in molecules can affect blah blah, But history is my least favorite b/c blah blah..

so are you gonna vote for Obama b/c you like changes alot??

me : ?? umm.. I guess.... why not? (can't vote b/c of my resiency)

Her: So tell me, why are video games over rated?
Me: (Thinking to myself) Did I walk into the wrong department because I thought I was here for a dental interview...