what are top d.o. schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lsk87

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
we all have heard about the high tier allopathic schools, but what are top osteopathic schools? (especially when it comes to specializing)

Members don't see this ad.

we all have heard about the high tier allopathic schools, but what are top osteopathic schools? (especially when it comes to specializing)

PCOM
TCOM
DMU

Members don't see this ad :)
DMU? :confused:

PCOM
NYCOM
MSUCOM
CCOM

MSUCOM? A little surprised on this one just b/c they have a ridiculous amount of primary care grads. Isn't that why they were ranked in US News for schools putting the most into primary care?

DMU's match list is going to be ridiculously impressive this year from what I have heard so far :thumbup:

MSUCOM? A little surprised on this one just b/c they have a ridiculous amount of primary care grads. Isn't that why they were ranked in US News for schools putting the most into primary care?

DMU's match list is going to be ridiculously impressive this year from what I have heard so far :thumbup:

since when does a lot of PCP's absolutely imply a poor program. MSU is probably the strongest program in the country, with the highest entrance requirements.

since when does a lot of PCP's absolutely imply a poor program. MSU is probably the strongest program in the country, with the highest entrance requirements.

It doesn't. However, I believe the OP did want a list of schools that graduated students who went more into specialty-based residencies than PCP residencies ...

My top three schools in northeast in no particular order.
PCOM
NYCOM
UMDNJ

Yah, DMU. Seen their 2006 Match List??

Just a sampling (number is how many people matched into the specialty):

1 - Radiation Oncology
1 - Neurosurgery
3 - Oto-facial plastic surgery
4 - Diagnostic Radiology
5 - General Surgery
5 - PM & R
7 - Orthopedics
8 - Anesthesiology
17 - Emergency Medicine

This is out of 182 on the list they sent me.

Attachments

• 2006 DMU Match List.zip
    31.2 KB · Views: 293
Which school would you choose and why? Western or Touro MI?

I have not visited either but would appreciate some insight...Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
My top three schools in northeast in no particular order.
PCOM
NYCOM
UMDNJ

UMDNJ does not send as many graduates into specialties as people seem to think. But I am not saying that makes it a bad school. I'm just saying there seems to be a myth around SDN that they do.

Average % 2002-2004 graduates entering primary care residencies (as defined by USNews)

WVCOM - 87.3%
MSUCOM - 85.8%
PCSOM - 78.0%
TCOM/UNTHSC - 77.7%
NSUCOM - 77.0%
UNECOM - 67.2%
OSUCOM - 67.0%
LECOM - 61.0%
OUCOM - 58%
TUCOM - 52.0%
DMU - 46.5%
KCOM - 45.7%
NYCOM - 45.0%
PCOM - 37.0%

A sample of MD schools and their %

East Caroline University (Brody) - 62.0%
Drexel University - 52.0%
Temple - 50.0%
University of Chicago (Pritzker) - 47.0%
University of Washington - 46.0%
Harvard - 41.0%
Georgetown University - 39.1%
Johns Hopkins - 37.0%
Stanford - 32.1%

Source: http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/webextras/brief/sb_med_primarycare_brief.php

as long as the school has solid and stabile clinical rotations and affiliated residency programs....its more then likely a good DO school.....if those 2 factors are missing....they're not one of the "top" plain and simple

its pretty astounding that so many people on here refuse to believe that a decent percentage of med students actually want to do primary care....even at my school, with its high specialization rate and all.....I have many friends who dream of being a primary care physician...

as long as the school has solid and stabile clinical rotations and affiliated residency programs....its more then likely a good DO school.....if those 2 factors are missing....they're not one of the "top" plain and simple

its pretty astounding that so many people on here refuse to believe that a decent percentage of med students actually want to do primary care....even at my school, with its high specialization rate and all.....I have many friends who dream of being a primary care physician...

Also, there are plenty of specialties that derive out of primary care, aren't there (like pulmonary med)? I think people mistakenly think of primary care as family medicine and that's it.

I think that people who are aiming for some specialties do want to see what schools send many people into those specialties, though. Sure, we all could very likely change our plans somewhere along the line, but when you're choosing, you think about whether a school is going to beat you into submission for something you may or may not want to do...!! ;) (I know it's not like that!!)

Also, there are plenty of specialties that derive out of primary care, aren't there (like pulmonary med)? I think people mistakenly think of primary care as family medicine and that's it.

I think that people who are aiming for some specialties do want to see what schools send many people into those specialties, though. Sure, we all could very likely change our plans somewhere along the line, but when you're choosing, you think about whether a school is going to beat you into submission for something you may or may not want to do...!! ;) (I know it's not like that!!)
gotcha...and btw...theres a ton of fields that require internal medicine 1st....including the extremely popular Cardiology and GI

gotcha...and btw...theres a ton of fields that require internal medicine 1st....including the extremely popular Cardiology and GI

AH! I knew there was more than just allergy and pulmonary medicine...!! Thanks.

Allergy and Immunology: 2 years
Cardiology: 3 years
Cardiology/Cardiac Electrophysiology: 4 years
Cardiology/Interventional Cardiology: 4 years
Critical Care Medicine: 2 years
Endocrinology: 2 years
Geriatric Medicine: 2 years
Gastroenterology: 3 years
Gastroenterology/Hepatology: 4 years
Hematology: 2 years
Hematology/Oncology: 3 years
Infectious Diseases: 2 years
Medical Genetics: 2-4 years
Nephrology: 2 years
Oncology: 2 years
Pulmonary: 2 years
Pulmonary/Critical Care: 3 years
Rheumatology: 2 years
Sports Medicine: 1 year

The real answer is that there isn't a top school system for osteopathic schools, people try to go by the ones that have been around the longest but to be honest with you find one that is in a good location has been around for atleast 10 years so it put out more than one graduate class and whos students ..(those not on the admissions commitee) really like the school. I know thats not what you want to hear but there are only 25 osteopathic schools and some are in the middle of no where some are in great locations but have only been around for 4-8 years others are radicuolously expensive find the middle ground and be happy with it. Every college has a good resident history expecially if they have been around for a while (ofcourse they would your bound to have a few stars over 100 years) I choose TCOM because I wanted to go somewhere warm, it was difficult to get into being an out of state student, cheap tuition and every student I have interacted with liked the school. I have family in dallas, 45 minutes away from the school. I'm from New York and wanted a change. Either way at whatever school you go to IT IS UP TO YOU TO KICK ASS ON THE USMLE AND COMLEX. From there you have the pick. Good luck and stop listening to people try to argue there case when there isn't a unified system to do it you can't go by it, and I'm not saying that having a unified system is full proof but it sure as hell beats an obvious bias or people just trying to piss others off.

Average % 2002-2004 graduates entering primary care residencies (as defined by USNews)

WVCOM - 87.3%
MSUCOM - 85.8%
PCSOM - 78.0%
TCOM/UNTHSC - 77.7%
NSUCOM - 77.0%
UNECOM - 67.2%
OSUCOM - 67.0%
LECOM - 61.0%
OUCOM - 58%
TUCOM - 52.0%
DMU - 46.5%
KCOM - 45.7%
NYCOM - 45.0%
PCOM - 37.0%

A sample of MD schools and their %

East Caroline University (Brody) - 62.0%
Drexel University - 52.0%
Temple - 50.0%
University of Chicago (Pritzker) - 47.0%
University of Washington - 46.0%
Harvard - 41.0%
Georgetown University - 39.1%
Johns Hopkins - 37.0%
Stanford - 32.1%

Source: http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/webextras/brief/sb_med_primarycare_brief.php

will add this to the FAQ

Yeah, since internal medicine is a springboard for a lot of sub-specialties, I wouldn't take these stats to mean one will automatically end up doing general IM or FP coming out of these schools.
Here at MSUCOM, I do think they try to encourage us to go into FP, but we also have the advantage of having a number of osteopathic specialty residencies in the state, so I think if you *wanted* a specialty, you'd probably be in a better position here than at a DO school that doesn't have DO dermatology, ENT, ortho, etc. residencies in the hospitals where you can do your rotations like MSU does.

Out of curiousity, why isn't there a published ranking for Osteopathic Schools?

And always was under the impression that COMP and Touro-MI were among the "best" Osteopathic schools. However, after doing all my research, I really like DMU and PCOM.

Out of curiousity, why isn't there a published ranking for Osteopathic Schools?

And honestly how do you objectively rank a school without some sort of bias?

The better bet is definitely with older, more established schools. PCOM, TCOM, MSUCOM, OSUCOM, Kirksville. And then the state supported schools also have an edge simply based on funding.

And honestly how do you objectively rank a school without some sort of bias?

The better bet is definitely with older, more established schools. PCOM, TCOM, MSUCOM, OSUCOM, Kirksville. And then the state supported schools also have an edge simply based on funding.

I agree, but I like how US news gives a residency directory rating or something. I know those rankings are completely skewed based off of research money, but it would be nice to have something that compared all the schools like that. Of the schools you noted, I won't be applying to the state schools, but KCOM and PCOM for sure. However, I am sick of the cold weather, If I get accepted to COMP here I come lol.

The "top" med schools are always the ones that are a good fit for you. If that happens to be someone else's "last" ranked, so be it. Find a school that fits you and where you fit it -- THAT is your "top school".

are u guys talking about DO or MD residencies? i think that's an important distinction to make..

Um - DMU and CCOM are pretty old.

The "top" med schools are always the ones that are a good fit for you. If that happens to be someone else's "last" ranked, so be it. Find a school that fits you and where you fit it -- THAT is your "top school".

Couldn't agree more! :thumbup:
I think (hope) people were trying to answer the OP's question about the schools that tend to send people into more specialties. Ultimately, though, any school will get you into any specialty, and it's more important to go where you fit in the best! (Provided that school actually accepts you!:( )

MSU has a pretty large OPTI program - and a diverse variety of speciaties. One of the largest for osteopathic programs. A subtantial chuck of osteopathic residencies are under MSU's OPTI.

Just because the students go into primary care, doesn't mean they are somehow inferior of a school or something. Cause, there are very few other schools that have the serious financial backing of the state, and also a subtantial political voice to create such a large OPTI. MSU's OPTI is more than CA, Texas, WV, and maybe even NY combined.

Same argument goes for Ohio and Philadelphia. Both these schools have a large OPTI programs. It takes a lot of political warmongering on part of the schools to get funding for all those programs.

Umm........If i'm not mistaken, isn't choosing a specialty a personal decision? Why is it that many premeds insist on claiming that one school is better than the other, or that this school has more students entering a sub-specialty (i.e. highly competitive specialty) so it is a higher ranked school. For the last time people, IT DEPENDS SOLELY ON THE PERSON, NOT THE SCHOOL. If you want to enter a competitive specialty, go to the school that you are most comfortable at, work your butt off, and for the love of all that is holy, stop your bickering.
Also, has anybody else noticed that the schools people list are the ones they are going to attend, or are currently attending (medical students). Well, since I plan on attending either OSUCOM, AZCOM, or my state MD school. Those are the top tier schools! ha ha! see how lame it is!

KCUMB is the top ostepathic (D.O.) medical school in the GALAXY! Seriously. Wikipedia says so.

Umm........If i'm not mistaken, isn't choosing a specialty a personal decision? Why is it that many premeds insist on claiming that one school is better than the other, or that this school has more students entering a sub-specialty (i.e. highly competitive specialty) so it is a higher ranked school. For the last time people, IT DEPENDS SOLELY ON THE PERSON, NOT THE SCHOOL. If you want to enter a competitive specialty, go to the school that you are most comfortable at, work your butt off, and for the love of all that is holy, stop your bickering.
Also, has anybody else noticed that the schools people list are the ones they are going to attend, or are currently attending (medical students). Well, since I plan on attending either OSUCOM, AZCOM, or my state MD school. Those are the top tier schools! ha ha! see how lame it is!

Scoot, you ought to consider KCUMB, because, well ... see above post.

Actually, I really liked the school. I just happened to like others better. As far as Wiki. I wouldn't doubt it. I love it!!! Wiki and I are tight! My Histology professor uses this insanely expensive text book/atlas and instead of buying it, I just study directly off the histo pics on Wiki. FYI, I'm kickin a in Histo. Go WIKI!!!!

its pretty astounding that so many people on here refuse to believe that a decent percentage of med students actually want to do primary care....

You're 100% correct. It's amazing how so many Pre-osteo students think of primary care as a last resort. It's the equivalent of going into the pre-allo forum and hearing them think that EVERYONE in college wishes they could become an M.D., including art majors, psychology majors, poly sci majors, etc... Anyone going into dentistry or optometry really wishes they were an M.D. :laugh:

Yah, DMU. Seen their 2006 Match List??

Just a sampling (number is how many people matched into the specialty):

1 - Radiation Oncology
1 - Neurosurgery
3 - Oto-facial plastic surgery
4 - Diagnostic Radiology
5 - General Surgery
5 - PM & R
7 - Orthopedics
8 - Anesthesiology
17 - Emergency Medicine

This is out of 182 on the list they sent me.

I believe one of those anesthesiology matches ended up in Univesity of Chicago Hospitals...isn't that a tough task to achieve? I wouldnt be surprised if that was the first DO student to get in that program? correct me if I am wrong and if I am just equating U of C to it's undergrad and med school rep around chicago?...I also believe it's hard to gauge schools overall but you can probably give a top school per se in each region...PCOM out in the east, DMU in the midwest, TCOM in the South, and I dont really know the western schools?

DMU>CCOM !? I have my doubts pertaining to that inequality. Give me some concrete evidence for this.

I have my doubts as to whether Des Moines can compare to Chicago in terms of clinical experience during 3rd and 4th year...

DMU>CCOM !? I have my doubts pertaining to that inequality. Give me some concrete evidence for this.

I have my doubts as to whether Des Moines can compare to Chicago in terms of clinical experience during 3rd and 4th year...

No amount of argument or evidence will sway your opinion of CCOM because it is apparent from the " :thumbup: " in your signature that you are in favor of them...so I will save the trouble and the numerous posts that would have followed and say that it is really up to each student...A Harvard student will argue they are the best but a UCSF student will say the same...no matter what they say it will not get resolved. But from what I have seen for myself, DMU was better and I am from Chicago and will most likely be attending (barring a miracle interview/acceptance from my number one Illinois MD school)...I will give you without a doubt that the clinical rotations in chicago are better...but at DMU they have affiliations in Ohio and Michigan which many students end up going that are suppose to be solid and a lot also decide to stay in Des Moines. This is just my opinion, I am sure there are others who disagree:thumbup:

I believe one of those anesthesiology matches ended up in Univesity of Chicago Hospitals...isn't that a tough task to achieve? I wouldnt be surprised if that was the first DO student to get in that program?

DOs currently in University of Chicago Anesthesia Training Program (info such as name, position, and med school alma mater available on their website)

Chief Resident Thiruppathy Sabapathy, D.O.
Graduated from KCUMB

CA-3 Kirk Smith, D.O.
Graduated from Western/COMP

CA-3 Marzanna Vasington, D.O.
Graduated from NYCOM

CA-2 Simon Adanin, D.O.
Graduated from CCOM

CA-1 Jessica Drescher, D.O
Graduated from PCOM

PGY-1 Ryan Keller, D.O.
Graduated from DMU

DOs currently in University of Chicago Anesthesia Training Program (info such as name, position, and med school alma mater available on their website)

Chief Resident Thiruppathy Sabapathy, D.O.
Graduated from KCUMB

CA-3 Kirk Smith, D.O.
Graduated from Western/COMP

CA-3 Marzanna Vasington, D.O.
Graduated from NYCOM

CA-2 Simon Adanin, D.O.
Graduated from CCOM

CA-1 Jessica Drescher, D.O
Graduated from PCOM

PGY-1 Ryan Keller, D.O.
Graduated from DMU

Thank you Group Theory...I knew someone would come through with the research for me...good to know that if I go sleep doctor I will have a good shot there as apparently they seem to be "DO-friendly"...although the majority are MD's but that is to be expected

I'd also like to point out our own OldManDave as an example of a non-trad who had a gpa subpar of 2.0 and worked his ass of for this record:

'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03
Dartmouth Anesthesia Residency Class of 2007
Dartmouth Critical Care Medicine Fellowship 2008

So kids, it can be done ... you just have to have the drive, support, and will to get through it ;)

Who said this?

Thank you Group Theory...I knew someone would come through with the research for me...good to know that if I go sleep doctor I will have a good shot there as apparently they seem to be "DO-friendly"...although the majority are MD's but that is to be expected

Any school you go to will give you a chance to go anesthesia, or in any direction you choose. Remember also that getting a residency in your specialty gets you practicing in that specialty - it doesn't have to be "tops".
Just like med school, guys. :D

I believe one of those anesthesiology matches ended up in Univesity of Chicago Hospitals...isn't that a tough task to achieve? I wouldnt be surprised if that was the first DO student to get in that program? correct me if I am wrong and if I am just equating U of C to it's undergrad and med school rep around chicago?...I also believe it's hard to gauge schools overall but you can probably give a top school per se in each region...PCOM out in the east, DMU in the midwest, TCOM in the South, and I dont really know the western schools?

I think CCOM should be at the top of the list with others. yes i am biased bc i will be attending CCOM. I did also interivew at DMU and the oppurtunities during years 3/4 did not impress me very much. The clinical oppurtunities CCOM seemed much better to me. The facilities at DMU are nicer, yes. But besides years 1+2, when are you going to use them?

*Looking through the 2006 CCOM match list. 11 students matched into an Anesthesiology residency (most of them allopathic)*

I think CCOM should be at the top of the list with others. yes i am biased bc i will be attending CCOM. I did also interivew at DMU and the oppurtunities during years 3/4 did not impress me very much. The clinical oppurtunities CCOM seemed much better to me. The facilities at DMU are nicer, yes. But besides years 1+2, when are you going to use them?

*Looking through the 2006 CCOM match list. 11 students matched into an Anesthesiology residency (most of them allopathic)*

scottie might be comin back!