what are ways to speed up becoming a doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metalhead1023

High School Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if there are ways to speed up the process of becoming a doctor by like taking accelerated bachelors degrees or other programs

Members don't see this ad.

There are 6 and 7 year programs for BS/MD...thats pretty much the only thing you can do, unless you graduate in 3 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if there are ways to speed up the process of becoming a doctor by like taking accelerated bachelors degrees or other programs

Do an SDN search on the top of this page and you will find tons of info. on this topic. There are BS/MD program out there but they are very competitive and they usually require the student to apply while in High school. Hence, hight SAT scores and high school GPAs are critical in the process. The programs are usually 7 yr long and do not require you to take the MCAT (so lucky...).

I am interested to know why students would want to commit to such programs when they are so young; 17 years old!?

The problem with speedy tracks is that you have less years of volunteer/research experience than everyone else, which makes you less competitive, especially if you dont have a compelling reason as to why you want to go into medicine.

That being said, you can shoot for doing insane amounts of quality coursework, volunteer, and research for 2 years including summers to be on track to graduate like a normal junior and that will let you apply early.

forge a degree?

oh, you mean legal ways...

That being said, you can shoot for doing insane amounts of quality coursework, volunteer, and research for 2 years including summers to be on track to graduate like a normal junior and that will let you apply early.

I've actually had several friends graduate from college in three years by taking a lot of credit hours and using AP credit - they were very successful in terms of the admissions process, and I don't think it hurt them (because they worked hard in volunteer and research activities in their first three years - you can always update schools as you go along with your research junior year). That said, the big drawback here is that you are throwing away one of your college years - my advice here would just be to find a way to enjoy yourself as you go along. Life, and medicine in particular, is a marathon not a race - there are many years to becoming a physician and shaving off one of your best years in college probably won't make that much of a difference (Gather ye rosebuds while ye may/"Cueillez votre jeunesse" and all that good stuff). Med school is fun, but I wouldn't be in any big hurry to rush into it.

apply to medical schools in the UK, the rest of europe and asia and you go after completing high school. You will be a doctor in 5 years.

6-7 year programs you start out of high school..you also don't have to take the MCAT to get in but I'm pretty sure you need a minimum SAT score. Or if you're already in college, graduate in 3 years. Unfortunately I think that's pretty much it.

I've actually had several friends graduate from college in three years by taking a lot of credit hours and using AP credit - they were very successful in terms of the admissions process, and I don't think it hurt them (because they worked hard in volunteer and research activities in their first three years - you can always update schools as you go along with your research junior year). That said, the big drawback here is that you are throwing away one of your college years - my advice here would just be to find a way to enjoy yourself as you go along. Life, and medicine in particular, is a marathon not a race - there are many years to becoming a physician and shaving off one of your best years in college probably won't make that much of a difference (Gather ye rosebuds while ye may/"Cueillez votre jeunesse" and all that good stuff). Med school is fun, but I wouldn't be in any big hurry to rush into it.

To take all of that on and academically succeed in school and the MCAT is not possible for most people. It also requires an insane amount of discipline and drive, which a lot of people also lack. Not a widely viable option IMO.

Move to the UK. There (as in most other parts of the world), medicine is an "undergrad" degree :)