What are/ were your back-up plans as a Pre-Med Student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A P

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you have, or did you have a back up plan if you weren't accepted to med school? This is something that has been on my mind as of late. If I went unaccepted, do I do some post-bac work? Do I work and try to keep building some credentials? Do I give up hope and pursue a different career? I thought it would make for an interesting discussion, so feel free to share your thoughts and feelings below.

Members don't see this ad.

Try to become a cop, though this was before the whole Peter Liang crap.

PhD focusing on protein chemistry and elucidation of their mechanisms -> work within particular biochemical disease states to better define them. Work with an academic hospital after post-doc.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have, or did you have a back up plan if you weren't accepted to med school? This is something that has been on my mind as of late. If I went unaccepted, do I do some post-bac work? Do I work and try to keep building some credentials? Do I give up hope and pursue a different career? I thought it would make for an interesting discussion, so feel free to share your thoughts and feelings below.

Become a NEET.

Reactions: 4 users
Pursue a law degree, then specialize in health law or constitutional law, whichever strikes my fancy at that point.

Reactions: 1 users
If I don't get in I'll apply again with more volunteering and voluntary trainings and stuff, maybe an SMP. If I still don't get in, probably nursing school, possibly social work.

Usually if you didn't get into med school, you would know why and just spend a year strengthening your weakness whether that be a postbac, MCAT retake, more clinical experience, etc.

I would have loved (still would love) to become a secret agent lol (totally serious). I need some excitement in mah lyfe.

I was pre-law through junior year of undergrad and had an outstanding LSAT to go with my GPA. If I wasn't accepted, my plan was to become a malpractice, intellectual property or environmental attorney with my biology degree. Absolutely happy I wasn't put in that spot though.

Astrophysics PhD or just run a restaurant

MCAT retake.

If I couldn't get into medical school after trying 3 times? Dental or Optometry.

Screenwriting. I've always been captivated by the scriptwriting masterminds behind hit TV shows and late night programs. Ended up majoring in English and still write (and even illustrate) on the side. You never know what opportunities life will give you!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If I hadn't been accepted ... reapply.

If I felt it were time to pick another career, I'd consider getting my masters and getting involved in mental health counciling and education.

Probably would've played in the NBA if things didn't work out

Reactions: 2 users
Backup plan? Never heard of it. Gotta play life on hard mode am I right?

Reactions: 4 users
Plan A: get into med school
Plan B: make plan A better

Reactions: 2 users
I'd probably be turning tricks or something

If after reapplying I realize that it's time to move on I'd probably try to get in a PhD in Public Health, Epidemiology or Toxicology.