What are you doing for rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sillouetta

MWU CVM 2018
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just wondering what other people do for their elective rotations. We have 13 blocks (26 weeks) for electives. Are you staying primarily at your school's teaching hospital, staying local, traveling?

For those that are doing rotations at distant sites from your current location, what are you doing for living arrangements. For one of my rotations, I have contacts so I have a place to stay, but I am worried about trying to find arrangements that will accomodate both myself and my dog.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you mean this year or next year? I'm not sure of MWU's curriculum set up. I'm tracking Alternative, so I will have 16 weeks of non-school electives and 6 weeks of on-campus electives which are chosen by my faculty advisor. I've already applied to and been accepted at my externship sites. Three provide housing for free or cheap and one is close enough so that I can stay with my parents. I'll only be able to bring my pets to the latter, but thankfully I have friends and family that are willing to watch my furkids when I can't. If that wasn't the case, I'd have to end up tracking small or mixed which would keep me at the hospitals nearly the whole year. :dead:

I'm at Western so we do the distributive thing. I tried to plan most of my rotations in places that had housing or that I had family/friends there. The school has two core rotations on the west coast that we have to do so I'm spending a couple thousand to fly there, rent a car, and find a place to stay for the month... I've found airbnb to be cheaper and usually more appealing than an extended stay.