What are your gap year plans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted632431

For those of you who haven't heard back from schools or for those that it seems like they won't be getting into medical school, what are your plans for your gap year?

Let's share, guys :)

Members don't see this ad.

Not applying until summer 2016, but I plan on continuing to scribe, a trip to Amsterdam, re-learning the piano, and lots of hiking!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Americorps and some clinical volunteering, hopefully. I have nothing set in stone yet...:zip:

Applying next cycle - clinical research, volunteering, and maybe learning Spanish. Also possibly traveling when the cycle is over!

I applied to Fulbright and just interviewed at a hedge fund. I really don't want to do research next year.

Well, now that mcat is over, im going to continue my volunteering and keep working.

Can't really fathom being done with the MCAT/applying, so it's hard to plan for a time I'm not entirely convinced will ever happen.

Research or scribe. Travel the summer before med school.

Last edited:
Working as a secretary in the ER, coaching, looking for a good play to volunteer. I'm interested to see how/if being a head coach of a high school team will interest admission commities.

It's tough to plan traveling into a gap year (I'm on my second) since applying and traveling for med school interviews is very expensive, and on top of that the cycle is unpredictable. You never know when you'll hear back.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I always wondered how the people that scribe as their primary source of income are able to make any any travel plans on their wages (unless going for a short road trip). Just from personal experience, they offered $8 starting and up to $10 an hour if you are "head scribe" - How can you pay rent, food, utilities, gas, car bill, and insurance on that income and still make travel plans?

It's tough to plan traveling into a gap year (I'm on my second) since applying and traveling for med school interviews is very expensive, and on top of that the cycle is unpredictable. You never know when you'll hear back.

Posted using SDN Mobile

And if you're working it hard to just peace out if you haven't acquired your holiday hours yet... It's even worse if you're in a research lab that's trying to push out papers. It won't really sit well with everyone if you take a vacation out of nowhere.

I always wondered how the people that scribe as their primary source of income are able to make any any travel plans on their wages (unless going for a short road trip). Just from personal experience, they offered $8 starting and up to $10 an hour if you are "head scribe" - How can you pay rent, food, utilities, gas, car bill, and insurance on that income and still make travel plans?
I've been saving for years in a fund just for traveling. Although I wouldn't be surprised if some people live with their parents during their gap year and that is how they save money.

My parents would let me live with them but they drive me so crazy I rather pay rent elsewhere and take the financial loss.

I am totally slumming it my gap year though, finding the worse/cheapest apartment, don't care how many roommates and just use it as a place to sleep at.

Research through interview season and, ideally, a couple of months abroad during the Spring. It's been tough finding programs that aren't year-long.

Currently in Gap Year #1. I'm working FT as a Psychiatric Technician at a state-run psychiatric hospital and doing some mental health advocacy and MCAT studying on the side. It's working out well for me!

I haven't given up on this cycle yet, but I will talk to the Dean of Admissions at the school I'm interviewing at soon to find out what I need to do better. Then, I'll set about doing it, whatever that takes.