What are your political views?

My views changed quite a lot in only 5 months, so I can't imagine what they'll be like in 4 years, but I honestly don't think they'll sway too much since I'm basically super liberal on everything, I can't imagine going anywhere near the right wing.

Well, you might change your mind when some of these things actually start affecting you.

Members don't see this ad.

What the heck is "liberal" foreign policy? The whole issue is so confused, especially now with the Syria intervention question, that there really is no standard foreign policy approach that reaches anything like a consensus on either side of the aisle. Tom Harkin and Barack Obama are both liberal Democrats. One opposes military action in Syria and the other is trying to sell it. Who's more liberal? Rand Paul and John McCain are both prominent Republicans - one is a Tea Party darling and the other is a former presidential candidate. One is stoutly against intervention and the other supports it. Who's the real conservative? The point I'm trying to make here is that there really is no such thing as purely "liberal" or "conservative" foreign policy. FDR was the father of modern liberalism and he supported intervention when necessary to advance the banner of democracy and freedom. So did George W. This issue is a tangle of thorns and you kids cheerily checking the "liberal" or "conservative" box really just says you have no idea what you're talking about.

Same likely goes for most of the so-called issues you've signed up to bat for in this thread.

Major lulz at people saying they're "moderate" on the concept of a police state. That's a 1984-esque term of abuse in modern discourse. Any reasonable person is of course against a "police state", think for a second about what that means. Another whiff.

Words..and Words...and Words...
Mexico has property taxes already. They are called "Predial" for houses/land/etc... and "Tenencia" for vehicles. They are to be paid annually and don't come cheap as you put it. It would be terrible to increase their prices. Besides, almost all mortgages in Mexico are done with "Fovissste" and "Infonavit," which are the government's houses of credit. The money lent to you is in fact your own earnings taken away from a special tax that is 5%. Plus, you have to pay the interest. If the interest is increased and people don't pay, they are thrown into jail and have their belongings sold. Then, banks repossess the now-vacant properties.
Cokes and cat food have a tax included in their prices. It is called "IVA." And so does everything else such as gas, and water. Taxing more for these items is blatantly *****ic.
Mexican public universities are "free." However, the usual unofficial "institutional fee" costs vastly. So, education does come at a great price.The downside of being "free" is that you compete against 5,000 people for 1 spot. For this reason, no one leaves his home institution. In fact, a transfer is merely impossible.
Mexico has no system of immigration in place. No one really cares, unless you are the 0.1% of what's wrong with the country.
No one in Mexico pays $30 usd on taxis. They use public transportation to get to the clinics=$0.50 usd.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty much the same since I posted the last time.

Oh gee, I feel annoying for bumping all of these threads, but this is really interesting! I don't have many liberal/democratic views, but who knows my views may change (they already changed before I was more knowledgeable about politics because I only listened to what I heard, without actually researching it myself). Long story short: republican?

Last edited:
Interesting thread.

As for me, I am the epitome of the liberal hippie.

Reactions: 1 user