What are your studying strategies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jigga5

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm asking because I feel I may have to change my strategies to become more efficient. I studied a lot for my cell bio exam and I knew the material very well, however, I felt my grade did not reflect my knowledge of the material. I think I may have to make some changes so I want to see how I am studying compared to some of you. Anyways I am primarily referring to non technical courses, like bio, where there is lots of memorization and recall to be done. So please list specific studying strategies on how you memorize/understand and apply your knowledge? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

hahahaha. Erm you said memorization and I how I do it is to constantly repeat. To remember formulas I write it over and over and over 'til it finally sticks. I've been having problems focusing and studying so I'm somewhat of a hypocrite for even posting in this thread to begin with :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ill share my least favorite strategy b/c it actually worked for me.

I cram like crazy for 2 hours right before the exam. The fact is because you just learned it a few minutes beforehand, its really difficult to forget(although a week later I remember nothing). Its my least favorite because its stressful as heck but its how I got through endocrinology. Even though I got an A, I probably wouldn't recommended it because you wont retain anything after the class.

hahahaha. Erm you said memorization and I how I do it is to constantly repeat. To remember formulas I write it over and over and over 'til it finally sticks. I've been having problems focusing and studying so I'm somewhat of a hypocrite for even posting in this thread to begin with :oops:

thanks, anyone else?

assuming I'm not busy doing something else, and I actually paid attention in class, I like to go over the lectures in my head (do not look at your notes) over and over after class and right before any of the following lectures and then one more time before you look at your notes. This way when you go back and actually look at your notes, you will realize that you know a good portion of the material well, and will only have to cover the material that you could not recall previously. This really helps focus my studying when i look at my notes, I know what I know, and can easily figure out what i do not know but should.

assuming I'm not busy doing something else, and I actually paid attention in class, I like to go over the lectures in my head (do not look at your notes) over and over after class and right before any of the following lectures and then one more time before you look at your notes. This way when you go back and actually look at your notes, you will realize that you know a good portion of the material well, and will only have to cover the material that you could not recall previously. This really helps focus my studying when i look at my notes, I know what I know, and can easily figure out what i do not know but should.

Wow this is a good idea. The only thing is, actually sitting in lecture in real life is boring as hell. But sitting through a repeat imaginary lecture inside my head? Ugh sounds dreadful... But it also sounds super-effective.

Most useful study method for me: drawing out processes/concepts/figures/structures/reactions. Worked super well for ochem/chem/physics/bio/cell bio/physio.

Forming a study group and creating questions for other people also worked very well for me. I learned best this way and my friends really appreciated the challenge. Came up with the hardest questions I could think of, it required a deep understanding of the material and they ended up being harder than anything I ever saw on test day. Really cool to open up a test and breathe a sigh of relief instead of panic.

Most useful study method for me: drawing out processes/concepts/figures/structures/reactions. Worked super well for ochem/chem/physics/bio/cell bio/physio.

I do this, and bought a sketchpad for it.

I draw out elaborate sketches of chemical processes and color code each one. Then I cram a bunch of notes outlining the process (how, when, why, what does it yield, etc.) into wherever it fits. When I'm finished I note in the corner what page number I can find this information if there's something I neglected, and I tape the large piece of sketch paper to my wall so I look at it on an average of 50 casual times a day while I'm sitting around.

My walls are littered with large pieces of paper intricately outlining cell processes right now.

i hate hate hate it, but recopying my notes is really helpful if i can do it. it makes my notes neater and easier to study, doing it is in itself a thorough go through, and if i have any snags in logic or continuity i find them then.

typing them up worked when there were not millions of formulas and looots of notes (physio). i used lots of abbreviations to shorten it, and i can tell you from experience now that microsoft word can indeed hit a limit on how many misspelled words it can handle (at which point it just tells you it can't keep track anymore :) ).

Wow this is a good idea. The only thing is, actually sitting in lecture in real life is boring as hell. But sitting through a repeat imaginary lecture inside my head? Ugh sounds dreadful... But it also sounds super-effective.
i forgot to mention it helps even more if you can put it in your own words and teach someone else the material.

Being able to explain the entire process of whatever the material might be to a classmate helps. If they can understand it, you're probably doing something right. Also, dry erase boards. I get so much work done plugging in to my ipod, cracking open a new pack of markers and laying out all the material I have to reorganize/rewrite in front of me. Good thread btw.

I try to keep up with the reading and highlight as I read and if it's a chemistry/physics/math type class I do practice problems. Before the test, I review what I highlighted and work on old tests.

I draw out elaborate sketches of chemical processes and color code each one. Then I cram a bunch of notes outlining the process (how, when, why, what does it yield, etc.) into wherever it fits. When I'm finished I note in the corner what page number I can find this information if there's something I neglected, and I tape the large piece of sketch paper to my wall so I look at it on an average of 50 casual times a day while I'm sitting around.

Being able to explain the entire process of whatever the material might be to a classmate helps. If they can understand it, you're probably doing something right. Also, dry erase boards. I get so much work done plugging in to my ipod, cracking open a new pack of markers and laying out all the material I have to reorganize/rewrite in front of me. Good thread btw.

:thumbup: all of these

if you don't learn the drawing pictures trick in orgo, you learn it in biochem. if you don't learn it in biochem, you learn it in anatomy. fo realz. how else a person could learn the ennervations of the brachial plexus, i have no idea.

i got a white board, saves trees. but i definitely went through legal pads in orgo, oh boy yes i did

Members don't see this ad :)
great responses guys! i will definitely incorporate some of these for my next cell bio exam.

^^ Rewriting notes isn't going to get you very far, especially in the harder classes where you'll have to think critically instead of memorizing facts. As classes get harder, I find myself studying more and more without my notes/books (as a matter of fact, my notes are pretty much worthless to me, but at least they make me look productive in class). I find myself working more in group situations, attending tutoring (usually with one or more people), and bouncing ideas off of my peers and teachers.

It seems you guys ignored the best post.

This, especially if your exams are all essays.

It seems you guys ignored the best post.
What if there is no supplemental book or what if the professor doesn't teach from the book?

My strategy is to sit down a few hours before an exam and study/memorize. I make sure I'm in a place that's quiet and without any distractions. It's not necessarily cramming because I allow for a sufficient amount of time to cover all the material I need to know, and it ensures the information is fresh in my head for the exam. Some people study countless hours for days on end for one little exam. That's complete overkill. Study right before the exam for a few hours and you'll be good to go. :thumbup:

What if there is no supplemental book or what if the professor doesn't teach from the book?

My strategy is to sit down a few hours before an exam and study/memorize. I make sure I'm in a place that's quiet and without any distractions. It's not necessarily cramming because I allow for a sufficient amount of time to cover all the material I need to know, and it ensures the information is fresh in my head for the exam. Some people study countless hours for days on end for one little exam. That's complete overkill. Study right before the exam for a few hours and you'll be good to go. :thumbup:
this
i usually pay attention and take notes in class, and then right before a test i just memorize my notes
for ochem i write out the relevant reactions and memorize those as well
it works pretty well for me, but I don't read normally and rarely actually go over anything between lectures and the tests, so sometimes it's kinda hard to do absolutely amazing.. if i actually did that it would make it much easier to do really well, so eventually i'll get around to it

If you use my study method, be sure to pay attention in class and take good, legible notes as well. It won't help if you study crappy notes right before a test...

For me, all through college and especially in Mammalian Physiology, I'd:

1. Go to class, always
2. Study group with people you enjoy being around
3. Make note cards
4. Wake up early rather than stay up late before exam.
5. MamPhys: read the book, but that was the only class I ever bought it for XD

Hey guys I'm asking because I feel I may have to change my strategies to become more efficient. I studied a lot for my cell bio exam and I knew the material very well, however, I felt my grade did not reflect my knowledge of the material. I think I may have to make some changes so I want to see how I am studying compared to some of you. Anyways I am primarily referring to non technical courses, like bio, where there is lots of memorization and recall to be done. So please list specific studying strategies on how you memorize/understand and apply your knowledge? Thanks in advance!

Have you figured out why you didn't do well? Did you get to the exam and you suddenly couldn't remember the things you memorized? Did you realize that the professor asked you about things you didn't really pay attention to? Or did he ask you to apply the stuff you memorized in a way that was unfamiliar? Figuring out what went wrong first is key. If you just studied the wrong things, a bunch of memorization strategies won't necessarily help you, you have to work on figuring out what's most important.

But anyway, what gets me through it is manipulating the information in my brain. If it's a reaction, draw it out, multiple times. If it's a pathway, don't just keep reciting it from A to Z (you'll always remember the first point and the last point the best, and the middle ones will probably be a bit fuzzy), try to see if you can do it if you start from C. Can you recite it backwards? That's the stuff I do.

Also, I'm a huge flash cards person, just as a really quick way to separate what you know from what you don't know. There's a huge tendency to dwell on the stuff that you know, because knowing things makes you feel really nice inside. This happened to me in anatomy initially, and I got my exam back and felt exactly like you, i.e. "But I studied so hard and knew all that stuff so well!!!". Well, no. I knew some things extremely well, because I kept going over them when I should have focused on other things. So, yes

During lecture, sit in the front and do not sit with your friends. They will divert your attention.

Make very brief notes of info that is particularly emphasized.

After class, look over your notes and expand upon each point in your head.

I've found that if you allow yourself to be completely absorbed during lecture, you will not have to study too much before the test except for some very light review.

If I'm on track:
  1. Read rules/definitions/materials days before lecture
  2. Practice problems immediately, don't move on until I have practiced at least 2 problems per "rule"
  3. Go to lecture, but only take notes if powerpoint notes aren't available. If they are available, print and add extra notes on the sides of slides.
  4. Take PP lecture and make questions about the front slides on the back. Voila! Instant quiz for later.
  5. Review recent material as often as possible. Even if I am just watching TV and I get it, practice during that time. All extra studying helps.
  6. Anything I don't get, write question down and go to instructor/TA/tutor for help.
If I'm behind (this strategy still needs work):
  1. Be up to date on reading material and know basic definitions, even if not practiced yet.
  2. Don't take any "big" study breaks (shopping, reading, TV, games, any fun study break that takes over a half an hour) until caught up on practicing problems.

I always take notes and make sure that i am able to teach the material on what are going to go over in class the next day. If you can teach the material then you know that you understand it and it will turn studying for tests into a very ligh review.

Get a white board, and set it up in your room. Put all your favorite stuffed toys on your bed - they are your audience. Teach these stuffed animals a chapter on a particular subject, so that if there was an exam on that one chapter, they would get 100 percent. Make sure to talk out loud and use your white board (how else will your animals learn?) Repeat for different chapters.

Seriously though, teaching the subject to someone else always works for me.

I like to draw digrams and re-write definitions repeatedly until it sticks. After I get the gist of the material, the most efficient way to learn in my opinion is to teach. Meet up with a study group or just a friend in you class and explain everything as your prof would. Saying the material aloud is the best way for me to remember stuff.

Get a white board, and set it up in your room. Put all your favorite stuffed toys on your bed - they are your audience. Teach these stuffed animals a chapter on a particular subject, so that if there was an exam on that one chapter, they would get 100 percent. Make sure to talk out loud and use your white board (how else will your animals learn?) Repeat for different chapters.

Seriously though, teaching the subject to someone else always works for me.

Only child? Me too :(

Personally, I take my Ka-Bar and stab the book in the heart... Then eat the pages to gain their knowledge.

Working well so far.

Don't cross your legs while sitting in class. It subconsciously closes off your brain.

Wear as little white clothing as possible. Just like white reflects all colors of light, it also reflects information. Always dress in dark colors.

Carry a backpack with either 2 or 4 pockets. 3 is too close to the number 13 which is scientifically proven to correlate to broken pencils during tests and other forms of bad luck.

Don't cross your legs while sitting in class. It subconsciously closes off your brain.

Wear as little white clothing as possible. Just like white reflects all colors of light, it also reflects information. Always dress in dark colors.

Carry a backpack with either 2 or 4 pockets. 3 is too close to the number 13 which is scientifically proven to correlate to broken pencils during tests and other forms of bad luck.

This is all true. I remember I wore black all last semester, and I got a 4.0. You absorb more information wearing dark colors -- it really works.

This.