What are your successive studying methods?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted714452

Basically, a trend I've realized is my inability to "predict" what questions will be on my tests or quizzes and therefore my studying results in mastering material that is tested lightly or not at all. It's extremely frustrating to study something which doesn't show up at all.

How do all of you top students plan out how to study for exams? Any tips or tricks in determining what to focus on?

Members don't see this ad.

Step #1: Learn what successive means.
Step #2: Stop using filler words like 'basically', we appreciate the dumbing down, but you don't have to.

Step #3: Learning is very individualized. Most schools have a learning/education center with learning resources, tutors, etc. A fundamental part of undergrad is figuring out how to learn effectively. There is a certain art to taking tests and developing strong test taking skills is important, but if someone is struggling in a class or classes, it is unlikely that that is the primary issue.
Step #4: If you simply don't know what is going to be tested, typically professors will provide a syllabus. For the vast majority of classes in the sciences, there are only so many different types of questions that can be asked on each topic. The go to method for my students (when I TAed/tutored) was to simply setup every practice problem in the textbook as we went through each topic. Don't have to solve every question or write out answers to questions, but figuring out how to approach each problem is the most effective. I don't think I ever had a student not get an A in a class if they did that. Also, unless it is the first year a professor is teaching a class, there will be old tests floating around. While the questions will change, the topics will not.

Reactions: 5 users
Step #1: Learn what successive means.
Step #2: Stop using filler words like 'basically', we appreciate the dumbing down, but you don't have to.

Step #3: Learning is very individualized. Most schools have a learning/education center with learning resources, tutors, etc. A fundamental part of undergrad is figuring out how to learn effectively. There is a certain art to taking tests and developing strong test taking skills is important, but if someone is struggling in a class or classes, it is unlikely that that is the primary issue.
Step #4: If you simply don't know what is going to be tested, typically professors will provide a syllabus. For the vast majority of classes in the sciences, there are only so many different types of questions that can be asked on each topic. The go to method for my students (when I TAed/tutored) was to simply setup every practice problem in the textbook as we went through each topic. Don't have to solve every question or write out answers to questions, but figuring out how to approach each problem is the most effective. I don't think I ever had a student not get an A in a class if they did that. Also, unless it is the first year a professor is teaching a class, there will be old tests floating around. While the questions will change, the topics will not.

Thank you, I used the wrong word, I meant successful not successive. I'll keep a note to not make the same mistake in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
Know everything, breathe the material inside and out. I would expect my Dr. to be on top of his ****!

Reactions: 1 user
I will offer some advice on classes that work on memorization and mainly powerpoint lectures.

Look at the slides so many times that without turning the page you know which one is next. While not a guarantee, looking at them this much and this long is sure to help you visualize the important graphics/pictures/charts/etc you will need come test day. With that said, I am a visual learner so this really helped me. It is also helpful to ask your professors if there are any particular styles or sets of questions from the textbook you should focus on. Asking that may take 5 minutes of your time.

bio/humanities: focus on understanding the material, be able to explain it to someone else. If there's math or organic chem involved, do a lot of practice problems. I wouldn't try to predict what questions will be tested.. that's a waste of time.

Basically, a trend I've realized is my inability to "predict" what questions will be on my tests or quizzes and therefore my studying results in mastering material that is tested lightly or not at all. It's extremely frustrating to study something which doesn't show up at all.

How do all of you top students plan out how to study for exams? Any tips or tricks in determining what to focus on?

First determining what's high yield, and then prioritizing that before other stuff. Stuff that is high yield is more likely to be "big-picture" stuff and concepts that our professors want us to retain well after we've taken their classes.

Practice questions are important- but also strive to understand why you got each one wrong and what the question is trying to teach.