What are your thoughts on..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacycoffee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sorry for the bad grammar and run-on sentences, my laptop is dying.

I had a very similar story to yours. Instead it was my grandfather who had the complications. My PS was very compelling, but I had/have little to no shadowing experience. I also have never worked in a pharmacy. My interests were never in retail, so I didn't want to get involved in that. However, I've had a lot of life experiences and volunteer work that may have made me more appealing. My PCAT was a 72 and I have a 3.8 GPA. I applied early decision and was accepted to my number one choice.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
That gives me hope, we have very similar situations! I never got involved with retail pharmacy either, as it also does not align with my career goals. Mind if I ask what your #1 choice was?

Thanks so much for your reply!

Of course! University of Houston was my #1 choice even though I live right down the street from Texas Tech Pharmacy School. UH has the Texas Medical Center which can offer so many areas of growth, expertise, and networking.

That was a smart choice! What area of pharmacy are you interested in pursuing after graduation?

U of Kentucky is my #1 choice (in-state).

Oncology or maybe genetics... I'm not sure yet.

What about you?

I was reading about pharmacogenomics earlier..sounds interesting, I haven't seen a lot about it. And I'm super early in the game, but as of right now I'm interested in infectious disease. I loved everything about micro, but who knows how that could change!

Well good luck in everything that you do! I hope you get into your top choice!

For the purpose of admission the lack of pharmacy experience is not an issue if everything else is fine (your GPA is about on par and your PCAT is good). However I would not recommend anyone to apply for pharmacy school without any pharmacy experience. You have to realize it's not just about getting into school but what you want to do for the rest of your life. The job market is not what it used to be and you will hate yourself if you go into the field thinking only about the money.

If you want to show adcom you want to pursuit the career despite having no experience, you can try talking to practicing pharmacists to get more insight into the career.

Last edited: