What body parts in OMM lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thethethe

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am curious, in OMM lab do we go over the entire body? touching from the head, to groin, to breast and feet?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, so take a cold shower right before the lab to prevent any embarrassing episodes.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I am curious, in OMM lab do we go over the entire body? touching from the head, to groin, to breast and feet?

Eh, just what do you mean by "touch?" This isn't massage school and, no, there's no "happy ending" involved ( :rolleyes: ), although sometimes you may have to palpate or apply pressure in areas that you may feel a bit uncomfortable with. That's part of medicine in general, though, and you learn how to deal with it. While you do sometimes have to be in close contact with your patient, you try to be sensitive and always professional about it. My school was pretty good about having us switch partners, so that we had exposure to different body types, male and female. Sometimes I felt a bit embarrassed, especially at the beginning, when I was working on a good looking woman and I was palpating for her ischial tuberosity, symphysis pubis, or trying to find her inguinal lymph nodes, etc. It looks funny and feels awkward for both doctor and patient. Yeah, you learn to get over it, though.

Although schools will do it differently, in general, you will start by learning how to do a proper osteopathic structural exam, which includes a variety of things. You will focus, in particular, at least at the beginning, with somatic dysfunctions of the spine, learning rotation and side-bending mechanics, i.e., Fryette's Principles, and then ribs, upper and lower limbs, sacrum, and innominates, etc. The order will vary, but generally you will start with the spine. Then you will learn how to treat these dysfunctions by using Muscle Energy and HVLA. You will also learn lymphatics and myofascial release. Depending on your school's curriculum, they may try to do a systems-based approach to OMT as you follow along with what system you are learning in lectures. You'll learn certain system, regional, or organ-based diagnostics and treatments, such as pulmonary and GI. As get further along, you will focus in a bit more different aspects of the spine, i.e., cervical spine, thoracic, lumbar, and learn more in depth diagnostics and treatment. You learn about innervation patterns and how these may relate to the somato-visceral reflexes, etc. Toward the end you will learn strain/counterstrain. Then, you'll tie everything together.

Members don't see this ad :)
^^^very thorough!

Enjoy the sacrum!

Eh, just what do you mean by "touch?" This isn't massage school and, no, there's no "happy ending" involved ( :rolleyes: ), although sometimes you may have to palpate or apply pressure in areas that you may feel a bit uncomfortable with. That's part of medicine in general, though, and you learn how to deal with it. While you do sometimes have to be in close contact with your patient, you try to be sensitive and always professional about it. My school was pretty good about having us switch partners, so that we had exposure to different body types, male and female. Sometimes I felt a bit embarrassed, especially at the beginning, when I was working on a good looking woman and I was palpating for her ischial tuberosity, symphysis pubis, or trying to find her inguinal lymph nodes, etc. It looks funny and feels awkward for both doctor and patient. Yeah, you learn to get over it, though.

Although schools will do it differently, in general, you will start by learning how to do a proper osteopathic structural exam, which includes a variety of things. You will focus, in particular, at least at the beginning, with somatic dysfunctions of the spine, learning rotation and side-bending mechanics, i.e., Fryette's Principles, and then ribs, upper and lower limbs, sacrum, and innominates, etc. The order will vary, but generally you will start with the spine. Then you will learn how to treat these dysfunctions by using Muscle Energy and HVLA. You will also learn lymphatics and myofascial release. Depending on your school's curriculum, they may try to do a systems-based approach to OMT as you follow along with what system you are learning in lectures. You'll learn certain system, regional, or organ-based diagnostics and treatments, such as pulmonary and GI. As get further along, you will focus in a bit more different aspects of the spine, i.e., cervical spine, thoracic, lumbar, and learn more in depth diagnostics and treatment. You learn about innervation patterns and how these may relate to the somato-visceral reflexes, etc. Toward the end you will learn strain/counterstrain. Then, you'll tie everything together.

there haaaas to be some very intersting/embarassing stories along the lines you mentioned. maybe not so much in the pre-osteo forum, but i would love to hear some embarassing OMM stories.

Yea, there likely are many stories - but we are professionals...

wow. I didn't know this many body parts could be manipulated? learn something new every day :)

We had to find our partner's ischial tuberosities the second week of class. When you have to dig your palms into someone you barely know buttcheeks, you stop worrying so much and you realize what you're there to learn. I know at some schools on day 1 you find your partner's pubic symphysis, I just hope they also make sure to have you move any "anatomy" out of the way first.

I don't know how I will handle all this-- I'm very ticklish. :p

I don't know how I will handle all this-- I'm very ticklish. :p

oohhh dude. i'm going to be such a bad OMM partner. i'm going to be tossing and squirming the whole time. especially my abdominal, hip, groin areas

oohhh dude. i'm going to be such a bad OMM partner. i'm going to be tossing and squirming the whole time. especially my abdominal, hip, groin areas

I throw punches. I HATE being touched...this weird thing I have. My body like flails around to get rid of people. I'm sure I'll punch some poor girl in the face by accident. I can't handle the touch of a light massage, so OMM will be murder for me.

I throw punches. I HATE being touched...this weird thing I have. My body like flails around to get rid of people. I'm sure I'll punch some poor girl in the face by accident. I can't handle the touch of a light massage, so OMM will be murder for me.

:laugh: Now that makes for interesting OMM class! Geesh I wish you were going to Lecom-B...

:laugh: Now that makes for interesting OMM class! Geesh I wish you were going to Lecom-B...

Not me, the last thing I need is a sucker punch while palpating someone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh c'mon Kate, take one for the team!! :D I'll treat you to coffee after...

I seem to notice that LECOM-B guys just hijack every thread.

OMM is gonna be awesome. Palpation aside, it's really relaxing and, in my opinion, feels awesome. At least the spinal manipulation does. I cannot wait!

Oh c'mon Kate, take one for the team!! :D I'll treat you to coffee after...

Well, if you put it that way :)

Honestly, I'm not at all concerned about touching body parts. hehe, after you have kids, you sort of lose all modesty so I have no problem volunteering for anything.

Had I read this thread earlier I wouldn't have withdrawn from a DO school. Looks like you guys have a lot of fun in OMM lab. I can't stand being touched by a guy though.

After you go through Clinical Exam where you've had to stick your finger up another man's butt.... OMM lab is NOTHING! Trust me on this.

:lol:

I may be. One of my top choices. (I want to stay in Florida) First step is to get accepted.

I shadowed an ER physician that um....gave me the honor of giving a digital rectal exam. It is pretty awkward. I, along with at least 90% of the population, never really anticipates having to stick their finger in the bum of someone, or at least the same sex.

Wait. First off, are you cute? That may dictate my decision. I don't want to accidently punch a girl in the face that can beat me up.....and it makes things more bearable. Granted, you'd be a year ahead of me at that point. Private OMM tutoring?

In practicing for our upcoming practical today, I accidentally punched my friend in the face. I am also extremely ticklish, but there are ways around it, you can ask your doctors what to do with a ticklish patient.

And yes, you will be touching strangers in places you didn't think were appropriate to be touched by somebody you just met, but you get over it. And when your partner is searching around for your pubic rami, if you feel them getting too low, just be nice and let them know.

Wait. First off, are you cute? That may dictate my decision. I don't want to accidently punch a girl in the face that can beat me up.....and it makes things more bearable. Granted, you'd be a year ahead of me at that point. Private OMM tutoring?

coughmarriedcough

Man.. I wish I could get to school and get my throat looked at. I'm not feeling to well today.

MossPoh-- to answer you question, yes. But, also very married-- and yes, most likely can kick your @ss :D -- so watch the flailing about buddy...

...Lumas, good looking out... your throat seems fine to me :thumbup:.

Ok thanks, Fab. It's good to know that your school is churning out good doctors, even before their students have their first class!

After you go through Clinical Exam where you've had to stick your finger up another man's butt.... OMM lab is NOTHING! Trust me on this.

The problem is most definitely the familiarity. I would have zero qualms about sticking my pointer up a stranger's butt, provided there were gloves. The idea of having a classmate, that you not only know but possibly find attractive, with their hands down your pants feeling around, is more than most people want to handle, in an educational setting of course.

Just repeat after me. "Margaret Thatcher naked on a cold day, Margaret Thatcher naked on a cold day"

Ok thanks, Fab. It's good to know that your school is churning out good doctors, even before their students have their first class!

...you say that now because you haven't received my bill yet. :D

We had to find our partner's ischial tuberosities the second week of class. When you have to dig your palms into someone you barely know buttcheeks, you stop worrying so much and you realize what you're there to learn. I know at some schools on day 1 you find your partner's pubic symphysis, I just hope they also make sure to have you move any "anatomy" out of the way first.

Let's be honest here...the ischial tuberosity and pubic symphysis palpations take a back seat to pelvic floor treatments. I'm sorry but positioning your fingers 2-3cm lateral to someone else's ******* and pushing superiorly takes the cake. I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet!!!!

MossPoh-- to answer you question, yes. But, also very married-- and yes, most likely can kick your @ss :D -- so watch the flailing about buddy...

...Lumas, good looking out... your throat seems fine to me :thumbup:.

Eh. Never heard of the office spouse eh? Married is a small detail. ;) The kick @ss thing is up in the air, but we won't get into why. :p

*Keep in mind this is all in good fun. I don't actually intend on even aiming for anyone in the same school as me..married or not. So no pissy pms please. ;)

The problem is most definitely the familiarity. I would have zero qualms about sticking my pointer up a stranger's butt, provided there were gloves. The idea of having a classmate, that you not only know but possibly find attractive, with their hands down your pants feeling around, is more than most people want to handle, in an educational setting of course.

Just repeat after me. "Margaret Thatcher naked on a cold day, Margaret Thatcher naked on a cold day"

I use Janet Reno instead...

i duno about you guys, but I'd rather stick my hand up the butt of a stranger than a good friend. Now THAT gets awkward

Don't forget to cough during a "tube spread."

Let's be honest here...the ischial tuberosity and pubic symphysis palpations take a back seat to pelvic floor treatments. I'm sorry but positioning your fingers 2-3cm lateral to someone else's ******* and pushing superiorly takes the cake. I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet!!!!

Agreed. The pelvic diaphragm is much more personal. One slip of the thumb could put you in deep ****-- literally :eek:.

Agreed. The pelvic diaphragm is much more personal. One slip of the thumb could put you in deep ****-- literally :eek:.

Wow, so much to look forward to. :rolleyes:;)

...The kick @ss thing is up in the air, but we won't get into why. :p

You didn't know I have an off side...
twitch.gif
fight.gif
twitch.gif

heehee.gif

I want to go to DO school now.

You don't do rectals on your classmates; they are done on standardized patients.

I shadowed a DO who has a friend who went to Usuhs (military med school) and he said that his friend told him that They made all the students do digital rectal exam on each other :eek: at that school. I'm not sure if that is the case currently...I hope not...

haha I know what you mean. I'm a fairly hands-off type of person, not very into hugging and what not...I've always wondered what happens to people like me in OMM. :p

On a more serious note, what happens if your religious beliefs don't allow you to dress in a sports bra and what not for lab?

4 year old thread resurrection, ftw! :thumbup:

I'm super ticklish... so whoever ends up being my OMM partner better wear a helmet, shoulder pads, and a support cup (in case I kick low).

Anyone from Western COMP comment on the dress code? I know some schools are strictly sports bra/shorts (female) and shorts only (male), but I hear others require scrubs (I think CCOM). What about WesternU?

Can't comment for western but at my school we're shorts for the guys, and shorts and sports bra for the lady's. It's not a big deal really, and you get over any awkwardness pretty fast.

I'm a fairly ticklish person too, some stuff I just can't handle well. People get that, it's no biggie.

And as far as I'm aware, most (probably all) schools will make accommodations for religious beliefs in any way possible. Perhaps you can't be palpated by someone of the opposite sex, I could see arrangements being made, but if it's the other way around; how are you going to practice medicine?

I accidentally grabbed a girls breast in OMM last year. We are talking full on grab while i was rolling her supine. She laughed it off...but none the less an exciting moment in the OMM lab!

Can't comment for western but at my school we're shorts for the guys, and shorts and sports bra for the lady's. It's not a big deal really, and you get over any awkwardness pretty fast.

I'm a fairly ticklish person too, some stuff I just can't handle well. People get that, it's no biggie.

And as far as I'm aware, most (probably all) schools will make accommodations for religious beliefs in any way possible. Perhaps you can't be palpated by someone of the opposite sex, I could see arrangements being made, but if it's the other way around; how are you going to practice medicine?

Not overly concerned per se, but it could be awkward in the beginning like you said. I was curious about Western's policy since I will be going there this fall.

I accidentally grabbed a girls breast in OMM last year. We are talking full on grab while i was rolling her supine. She laughed it off...but none the less an exciting moment in the OMM lab!

:laugh:

Okay, first, it's "ladies."

Second, you wear this in class, for OMM? That's sweet.

There's a first time for everything bro