What can I do if...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

No Imagination

I
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, If don't in this year...

My undergrad GPA sucks (2.7)
My overall GPA (grad included) is alright (3.3)
Math Science is better (3.4)
Last 45 hours is great (3.8)
I will have my PhD in Biochem
I have all the pubs I am going to get
I have more then enough vet/animal experience

If I decided to go again, what can I do. Can't increase my overall GPA really, my undergrad will always be a skeleton in my closet

Any thoughts?

-- I have a feeling im going to be bored and on edge till I get my 'letter'

Members don't see this ad.

Like I said in the other thread, emphasize your experience and maturity in your interview. I think enough adcoms would be intrigued by what else you bring to the table besides GPA that you'll get some interviews. When I interviewed, they asked me about my research projects and wanted to see abstracts of my research, so if you get your dissertation bound in time or if you have a print out of your abstracts you've presented for conferences or papers, might be something to bring along discretely if they want to take a look at them. Are you applying to the same school as your PhD? If so, your faculty adviser may be able to put in a good word for you.

...they asked me about my research projects and wanted to see abstracts of my research, so if you get your dissertation bound in time or if you have a print out of your abstracts you've presented for conferences or papers, might be something to bring along discretely if they want to take a look at them.

Thats actually a great idea, and I did not think of that. I should certainly have enough of my dissertation done to present something.

Like I said, im just so bored and now that the app process is over, im looking for distractions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think your info sounds like a problem. So your GPA isn't the greatest. You obviously show an upward trend for your last 45 GPA to be so high. You obviously prevailed despite your undergrad GPA so I don't think they would necessarily see that as a major deficit. With a PhD in biochem...you are obviously intelligent. I doubt your GRE scores are horrific and you have good experience! You've been published so I bet your writing skills are good....see where I'm going with this?

Buck up! Eat chocolate, relaaaxxxxxxx...you can't do anything about it now. I don't think you have a ton to worry about ;-) Good luck :)

The other option is to apply to schools that have alternative admission. NCSU does, and I applied to another school, perhaps Illinois, where you can ask to waive freshman under grad gpa or any grades from classes taken 6 years ago. I didn't need to, though I am just on the cusp for NCSU and that depends on whether they consider me in-state or out of state (moved for husbands work, not school, and for one year prior to matriculation but not prior to application) and won't be true if I get 3.7 or 4.0 in the last three pre-reqs I have to complete. In my essay, I emphasized that my recent gpa is 4.0