What can I do to improve my changes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hAAAnh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hellow SDN,

I just took the DAT and wanted to know how my resume stacked up and what I should do next. I am a older student due to some financial issues and really don't want to take another gap year and hope I can get into the 2015-2016 cycle. I went to Univ. of Washington and graduated with a 3.3 in Biochem AA. My DAT scores are as follows: 21 AA, 21 TS, 20 Bio, 24 OChem, 22 Gchem, 20 QR, 20 RC 20 PAT. I'm probably going to take the DAT again just because I know I can do much better. What else could I do to make myself a bit more competitive. Any suggestions will help! Thanks so much! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you need to retake the DAT! You got a great score. But it's getting late to apply for the 2015 cycle. I'm sure you'd still get at least one acceptance (if not more) with your stats. However, take it with a grain of salt that applying this late in the cycle may affect your chances at many schools. Hope this helps. Great job on the DAT!

I don't think you need to retake the DAT! You got a great score. But it's getting late to apply for the 2015 cycle. I'm sure you'd still get at least one acceptance (if not more) with your stats. However, take it with a grain of salt that applying this late in the cycle may affect your chances at many schools. Hope this helps. Great job on the DAT!
Ooops sorry I meant 2016. I would be applying June of 2015. Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any good ECs? You shouldn't have to retake if you have some good ECs and apply broadly.

Hellow SDN,

I just took the DAT and wanted to know how my resume stacked up and what I should do next. I am a older student due to some financial issues and really don't want to take another gap year and hope I can get into the 2015-2016 cycle. I went to Univ. of Washington and graduated with a 3.3 in Biochem AA. My DAT scores are as follows: 21 AA, 21 TS, 20 Bio, 24 OChem, 22 Gchem, 20 QR, 20 RC 20 PAT. I'm probably going to take the DAT again just because I know I can do much better. What else could I do to make myself a bit more competitive. Any suggestions will help! Thanks so much! :)
You DAT scores are solid! You do not need to retake. Remember that it gets harder to improve your scores and failing to "drastically improve" the second time actually looks bad. My best advice would be to email/meet/call a dean of a particular school that you are interested in attending and asking them what THEY WANT! Every admission committee is different and look for different things. If you want in, apply early, and maybe retake 2 classes in the spring. Again, just call the schools. They are more helpful than the people here when it comes to specific situations.

Hellow SDN,

Get straight "A"s this semester and the next one.

Do research.

Get recommendation from an upper lvl bio or chem course you got an "A" in.

Perfect your personal statement.

Shadow a private practice general dentist, and shadow various specialties as well if you didnt already. Schools seem to like it if you have a diversity of dental experiences.

Make sure you submit your application asap, no later than 3rd or 4th batch.

...just some ideas.

Research, volunteering, and shadowing! If you could find a free clinic that does extractions, you can volunteer there and get to know the dentists that volunteer, they may let you shadow them.

As for research, just ask a professor you like. I got to do some awesome cancer research on mutated P53/CBP in leukemia patients (my prof does work for St. Jude's) that was a great talking point during my interview.