What can I do to make sure!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluesTank

Zombie
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright here is the deal, I have my heart completely set on UT Galveston Medical Branch for a number of different reasons. It's not a top 10 school or anything, so what can I be doing now, pre-application, to show them that I absolutely dieing to go there, and that I will do anything to get in. I am only going to be applying in Texas, and I just want them to know that I would really like to attend. Basically, is there a little "extra" anything I can do to raise my chances? I am a pretty solid applicant I think (crossing fingers for the MCAT still) but I know there are flukes all over, and I just don't want to be one with them. I was considering early decision, but I still have not found the benefit of going that route...

Any advice would be great, thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Apply really early. And be very enthused during your interview. If you are this close to applying (TMDSAS comes out in like a month), then there's not much else you can do cept apply uber early.

Possibly contact the admissions director and see about having a pre-application consultation. Some schools will do this and others won't. It's worth a shot and it shows interest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Possibly contact the admissions director and see about having a pre-application consultation. Some schools will do this and others won't. It's worth a shot and it shows interest.
I knew a guy who met with a number of admissions personnel long before he even applied, and apparently a few of them told him they were quite impressed that he took the effort to do that. See if you can find a med student who could tell you who to talk to. The director of admissions at my school is quite friendly and approachable, so maybe there's someone at Galveston who could help you. Also, I thought the TMDSAS was a match system?

But, make sure when you interview other places that you don't alienate them, either, since you never know how things will shake out. At the same time, I think you should blatantly, in a gentle, honest manner, tell interviewers which school is your top pick (at least I did this and it worked great....) UTMB is a fabulous school (often degraded by the SDN forum, and I really have no idea why--has a lot going for it!) BUT, you may very well grow to love another school thru the application process, and as you learn more about each school you apply to. One learns a lot on the interview days. Even if you've researched a school, you want to get to know the "feel" of the school, and see whether it's for you. I would NOT write a personal statement just geared for one school. Let the statement reflect YOU, and then hopefully thru the interviews, etc, you'll end up at the school that fits you best and that you fit best. Good luck! Hope your goals come to fruition! :)

Make friends with alumni who have ties to school. Get to know them!!

My roomate last year (pre-dental) Made STRONG ties with faculty at his top choice dental school and applied in july for the class of 2011. He recieved an offer to fill a waitlist spot for class of 2010 that august due to faculty reccomendations.

Yes! Stuff like that actualy happens at some schools