What can you all tell me about radiation oncology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bella_dottoressa

make it happen
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I will be shadowing a radiation oncologist next week and was just wondering what anyone could tell me about the field generally so I feel prepped going in to meet with this doc. I'd like to be a bit knowledgeable. Thanks so much!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Best advice I can give is to know about the cancers - especially if you know what type of cancer the person you're shadowing is an expert at. Oncologists seem to love asking about staging - and also the techniques used to stage cancers. It might be a good idea to show up the Friday before you start so you can get an idea about what cases will be seen. Make sure you tell them this is your first experience with radiation oncology so they give you somebasics about toys they have in the department. Also, if you're rotating through Ohio State, it might be a good idea to make sure you meet the people in the department and get some face-recognition. THey interviewed 30 people last year for onely one spot. So if they know you coming into the interview, it's probably a big advantage. Anyways, good luck.

I agree that you should try to get a sence of the patient's you'll be seeing if you have appropriate access to the charts. look up those cancers. uptodate.com is a good place to peruse. Also if you can find Coia's little book on rad onc that might help; its a bit out of date but for a medical student just starting, its fine. finally med students are classically asked about staging. So of allll the things you can know about a cancer, try to know a stage. The AJCC manule is your friends.
Good luck!