what can you do with a MPH degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amanda5

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

There are a wide variety of positions and will often be different depending on the concentration.

There are positions in government, non-profits, for-profit companies, and beyond. ;)

Perhaps this depends on what track you choose. For instance, if you go for biostatistics (not too many do that), you score a decent job in pharmacoepidemiology -- doing clinical trails and so on; it pays well. If money is not an issue (please!), and you select a health systems/policy track, you end up working in state and local government agencies - program management, maybe? If you select health behavior track, well ... you need to know how to market yourself.

But here is an interesting track. Go for EPIDEMIOLOGY. A highly respected and rare health profession – it is core science, with a multidisciplinary educational preparation spanning many aspects of science such as medicine, health and illness behavior, mathematics and statistics, demographics, cultural competency skills, research methods, writing skills, analytical and logical thinking. It is whole different world... trust me. It is not easy, but the rewards (not necessarily $) is satisfying. I know I am.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It really does depend on the field of Public Health you go into. I'd say that Biostatistics is probably the most in demand and highly compensated, but you'll want to do the MS instead of the MPH (unless you go to a really strong MPH program, like Emory, UNC, etc.)

They say the most sought after disciplines overall are Biostatistics and Epidemiology. There is a big difference between the two. Epi is nice b/c it is a hybrid of so many fields, such as Science/Medicine and Statistics/Computers. It also involved research, written communication and other skills. Biostatistics is very heavy on the Math/Stats side, but emphasizes the other skills to a much lesser degree (while getting much more involved in Math/Stats).

Health Policy can be a good field if that's your interest. Global Health tends to be popular, but I would choose Epi with an emphasis on International/Global Epi instead of Global Health. I just don't see the demand and compensation in GH. Not that people choose Public Health to get rich, but you should be rewarded for the work you put in and I'm not sure if GH will do it.

There are many things you can do with an MPH. I personally know people in medical writing, pharma/biotech, medical education, managed care, consulting, etc. The list is quite endless if you have other strong business/interpersonal skills.

I have a bs in engineering and work in clinical research and am looking for
advice to get into the MPH program.

Thanks so much! :)

Perhaps this depends on what track you choose. For instance, if you go for biostatistics (not too many do that), you score a decent job in pharmacoepidemiology -- doing clinical trails and so on; it pays well. If money is not an issue (please!), and you select a health systems/policy track, you end up working in state and local government agencies - program management, maybe? If you select health behavior track, well ... you need to know how to market yourself.

But here is an interesting track. Go for EPIDEMIOLOGY. A highly respected and rare health profession – it is core science, with a multidisciplinary educational preparation spanning many aspects of science such as medicine, health and illness behavior, mathematics and statistics, demographics, cultural competency skills, research methods, writing skills, analytical and logical thinking. It is whole different world... trust me. It is not easy, but the rewards (not necessarily $) is satisfying. I know I am.

Program planning and evaluation are also MPH related jobs.

Hi everyone. Just a have a few questions:

a. What's the average epidemiologist (MPH) salary, and how does it compare with that of a biostatistician with an MS degree? Is there a difference between a MPH and a MS in biostatistics?

b. Is anybody familiar with public health informatics? What exactly does a public health informaticist do, and what type of companies/employer hire them? I hear that salary is pretty good - near 6 figures, if not more.

c. Could anyone provide information on the field of clinical epidemiology, particularly disease/infection control?

Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi everyone. Just a have a few questions:

a. What's the average epidemiologist (MPH) salary, and how does it compare with that of a biostatistician with an MS degree? Is there a difference between a MPH and a MS in biostatistics?

b. Is anybody familiar with public health informatics? What exactly does a public health informaticist do, and what type of companies/employer hire them? I hear that salary is pretty good - near 6 figures, if not more.

c. Could anyone provide information on the field of clinical epidemiology, particularly disease/infection control?

Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

a.) Depends on which direction you go: academic ($40-60k), government ($50-70k), industry ($40-sky's the limit). Biostatistician is a bit different as their work is quite different, but same general ballpark.

b.) Informatics is a simple way of saying public health computer science: you basically need all the skill of a computer programmer and apply that into a public health setting. It could be anything from sequencing, prediction, to modeling. It's very wide and expansive. Requires more than just a statistics background.

c.) If you mean disease and infection control in a clinical setting, that's generally handled with clinicians. At a outbreak level at a state or city, that'll be handled by an epi at the state or local level (primarily the investigation part). You'd be involved in the planning and investigation aspects (probably not the execution stages of it since you're more of a white collar worker).

Thanks Stories!

One other silly question. Are ASCP-certified clinical laboratory scientists considered 'clinicians'? Combined with an MPH, will they be qualified to hold positions in infection/disease control in a hospital setting?

Oh, and I do apologize for posting the same questions over and over. I'm just trying to get as much info as I can on the subject.

Thanks Stories!

One other silly question. Are ASCP-certified clinical laboratory scientists considered 'clinicians'? Combined with an MPH, will they be qualified to hold positions in infection/disease control in a hospital setting?

Oh, and I do apologize for posting the same questions over and over. I'm just trying to get as much info as I can on the subject.

No. Clinician refers to someone directly involved in patient care, diagnosis, and treatment. Laboratory personnel fall into support staff.

My guess (and a total guess) would be that a lab tech would not be suitable to be in infection control, as I would assume a physician or nurse would be in that role, but I'm not really sure.

Hi!

I am starting to look at grad schools for an MPH and have recently gained an interest in the Epidemiology programs. I'd really appreciate anyone's opinion on these questions.

1. Are there certain B.A. degrees that they require or courses one should take to better prepare themself for this program?

2. I studied Communication and Health, and have an interest in research, disease, global health, and statistics. Am I on the right track in terms of Epidemiology, and are there classes I should take before starting in an MPH to better prepare me? (Math, Bio, Chem, etc.)

3. When one completes an MPH in Epidemiology, what are the types of jobs available right out of school?

Thank you :)

Hi I want to go for epidemiology in MPH . I will be study in Florida international University in fall 2010 . I want to know , how much I would be paid initially and then maximum after epi.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello All,

I am starting to look into grad programs for an MPH in Biostatistics or Epi and wondering if anyone can offer some advice regarding schools.

I am interested in applying for programs at Tulane or University of Washington in addition to some local schools. I am living in the San Francisco area and plan to return home after graduating to find a job here. Does it matter when applying for jobs where I went for school, even if the school was a top 20 MPH school? I know networking is definitely a big part of the process, though I wanted to know if it's even worth aiming for those schools if when I get back, I will be looked over because of preference for local (State) graduates. Especially in local universities (UCSF or Stanford) or organizations that work in partnership with UC Berkeley grad students. Does this even matter?

Also, does anyone know what a typical work environment is for a Bio statistician versus an Epidemiologist?

I appreciate anything you can give!!! THANK YOU.

Last edited:

you could hang it on your wall. you could throw it in the trash. you could play frisbee with it. you can use it as a napkin. the limits are endless with an MPH degree.

But really, it is a professional degree, so you can pretty much doing anything within public health.

Hello All,

I am starting to look into grad programs for an MPH in Biostatistics or Epi and wondering if anyone can offer some advice regarding schools.

I am interested in applying for programs at Tulane or University of Washington in addition to some local schools. I am living in the San Francisco area and plan to return home after graduating to find a job here. Does it matter when applying for jobs where I went for school, even if the school was a top 20 MPH school? I know networking is definitely a big part of the process, though I wanted to know if it's even worth aiming for those schools if when I get back, I will be looked over because of preference for local (State) graduates. Especially in local universities (UCSF or Stanford) or organizations that work in partnership with UC Berkeley grad students. Does this even matter?

Also, does anyone know what a typical work environment is for a Bio statistician versus an Epidemiologist?

I appreciate anything you can give!!! THANK YOU.

Bump. I understand the differences in the work itself, but how do they differ in work environment, salary, availability, etc. I too am curious.

you could hang it on your wall. you could throw it in the trash. you could play frisbee with it. you can use it as a napkin. the limits are endless with an MPH degree.

But really, it is a professional degree, so you can pretty much doing anything within public health.

These are all great suggestions as to what you can do with a MA in the humanities trust me I know. lol

Hi all,

I am new to this and just saw many of you have got accepted to a MPH program. Thinking of applying for next Spring.

I am an international student with a Medical(MBBS) degree. GRE V560 Q740 TOEFL 112. Has lots of volunteer experience but not much research(Only one cross sectional study). GPA 3.2/4.0

If anybody with a MBBS degree got in pls reply.

Hi all,

I am new to this and just saw many of you have got accepted to a MPH program. Thinking of applying for next Spring.

I am an international student with a Medical(MBBS) degree. GRE V560 Q740 TOEFL 112. Has lots of volunteer experience but not much research(Only one cross sectional study). GPA 3.2/4.0

If anybody with a MBBS degree got in pls reply.

Hi Shenya, :welcome:

I am also an international MBBS grad, got into a lot of univ for MPH. But finally going to UTH SPH, as I got a scholarship from them. :soexcited:

Your scores are good enough, and volunteer experience will help surely. Research experience not mandatory. Although you still have a lot of time to apply, so if possible, try to boost your CV further. Although I am not sure how useful that will turn out to be, as a great CV is required only to get in to the biggies like harvard and hopkins, which dont have spring sems. :uhno:
Nevertheless, all the best for your application process. :highfive:

Thanks a lot Doctor Harsh. I am applying to UT too and currently doing a volunteership there. All the best to you too!

I am a first year medical student. I am interested in epidemiology but wonder if my scope of practice would be different from other epidemiologists due to my clinical degree. Will I be able to have a greater scope and competitive pay or will I be competing for the same positions as non clinically trained professionals?

I am a first year medical student. I am interested in epidemiology but wonder if my scope of practice would be different from other epidemiologists due to my clinical degree. Will I be able to have a greater scope and competitive pay or will I be competing for the same positions as non clinically trained professionals?

Greater scope in one sense. Many major agencies have a separate category for epidemiologists with a clinical degree (MD/MPH, MD/PhD, DVM/MPH), usually called "medical epidemiolgist" or "medical officer". Medical officers are recruited by CDC, public health service commissioned corps, various state health departments, and the World Health Organization and its regional offices. Just Google "medical officer" and one of these organizations for more info. For these jobs, you would only compete directly with other MD's.

Not 100% sure about the pay, from what I understand the pay is greater than most PhD's in epidemiology, but less than most physicians who practice full time.

But, in a weird way, you'll also have a smaller scope; you probably wouldn't want a job that has only non-clinical "pure" epi qualifications because it would make your MD mostly superfluous to your daily work, and you wouldn't get a significant boost in pay for having the MD if the organization's budget is only for a "pure" epi position.

MD's also have an additional path to public health faculty positions at some major research universities: you can start doing your own epidemiologic research and teaching once you become a senior resident (attending?) or a fellow in their affiliated hospital.

Hello! I have a wierd multidisciplinary situation here: I actually applied to MPH programs to raise my GPA for reapplying to allopathic medical schools; I'm now having doubts since MPH doesn't involve science classes. I got into USC's epidemiology and biostats program for the fall and i'm not sure of what to do: will it help raise my math/science gpa for medical/health professional schools? Can I get a decent-paying job with this degree? Is it worth the time and money (USC is really expensive)?? I'm also considering re-taking the MCAT and maybe taking a science class this summer. I also got into podiatry schools but I'm having doubts. What should I do??? :scared::confused::eek::xf:

Thank You!!!

Medical schools do not consider your graduate gpa. They evaluate your fitness for admission based on undergrad GPA. They will see the MPH as a nice extra. If your undergrad GPA is a problem, take more undergrad courses, specifically upper-division biology, micro, etc. They are "post-bac" but will count towards lifting up that undergrad GPA. Depending on how many credit hours you already have, it may take many classes to have the impact on your GPA that you are looking for.

If your MCAT was under 30 or you had any sections scored less than a 10, a retake might be a good idea, but beyond that, it probably isn't going to make a huge difference.

Also: if you call some of the schools you were rejected from, they may tell you why you didn't get in.

In short, don't go to USC. It will impact your loan eligibility down the line for med school, not to mention add another $100K to your tab. Not worth it. If worse comes to worse, save that money for a special master's program (SMP- there's a forum about those here as well as an entire forum for re-applicants).

Last edited:
thanks for your input! i am definetely forgetting about the mph; i have been planning to take microbio at a community college this summer and maybe anatomy/physiology 2 in the fall as post-bac gpa boosters while re-taking the mcat in july. i wasn't ready and should not have taken it then (B: 10, V:8, P:8) so i'm preparing now. my current cgpa is ~3.2 and sgpa ~2.9. i have a ton of volunteer and extracurricular experience, am gaining clinical research experience, and plan to shadow. would it be worthwhile to apply for the next cycle or just pick another track (dental, pharm, nursing) and move on?

is any1 going to SLU (saint louis uni, MO) for MPH dis fall?....

would it be worthwhile to apply for the next cycle or just pick another track (dental, pharm, nursing) and move on?

Dental school is no less competitive than medical school. With a 3.2 GPA and 2.9 sGPA, you would not be competitive for dental school (~3.6 GPA on average; no less than 3.0) without serious DAT scores.

You should do a little more homework before doing a shotgun approach at careers.

I am currently a student at UCLA and am in the process of applying to Graduate Schools to receive my MPH. So far I have been accepted to a few schools and I am torn between going to; University of Florida- Health Policy and Management, University of Michigan- Behavioral Sciences and Health Education, or Emory- Health Behavior and Health Education.

UM is ranked higher overall, but I think that I will be more successful with a Masters in Health Policy and Management. Does anyone have any advice on which one of these is the most lucrative?

I am currently a student at UCLA and am in the process of applying to Graduate Schools to receive my MPH. So far I have been accepted to a few schools and I am torn between going to; University of Florida- Health Policy and Management, University of Michigan- Behavioral Sciences and Health Education, or Emory- Health Behavior and Health Education.

UM is ranked higher overall, but I think that I will be more successful with a Masters in Health Policy and Management. Does anyone have any advice on which one of these is the most lucrative?

You'll make the most money in the management track, especially if you go to Michigan for it.

Hey everyone,

I am very interested in earning my MPH, and my undergrad is in Applied Science and Dental Hygiene. However, once I earn my MPH, I really would like to go into Epidemiology, or possibly another route once I learn more about everything an MPH has to offer. All I know is I do not want to go back into Dental Hygiene.
I am wondering if that is even a possibility? Do companies hire someone with an MPH for things in Epidemiology for instance, but who also has an undergrad in Applied Science/DH?

I have been doing tons of research and can't seem to find anything about an RDH turned MPH going into any other field than dental.

Any information you can give would be great. Thanks so much.

Hey everyone,

I am very interested in earning my MPH, and my undergrad is in Applied Science and Dental Hygiene. However, once I earn my MPH, I really would like to go into Epidemiology, or possibly another route once I learn more about everything an MPH has to offer. All I know is I do not want to go back into Dental Hygiene.
I am wondering if that is even a possibility? Do companies hire someone with an MPH for things in Epidemiology for instance, but who also has an undergrad in Applied Science/DH?

I have been doing tons of research and can't seem to find anything about an RDH turned MPH going into any other field than dental.

Any information you can give would be great. Thanks so much.

I do not see how you could not. It sounds plausible to me. With regards to admissions, applicants are admitted to epidemiology tracks on a variety of factors, particularly quantitative skills. This may be demonstrated by the GRE, by upper-level math courses during your undergraduate studies or (if applicable) graduate studies, and others. Schools also look to your personal statement for further ideas about your interest in epidemiology. So, as you may notice, these have nothing (directly) to do with what you studied in undergrad. It is like studying basket weaving and getting into law school. Programs are interested in your potential abilities and contributions. They do not expect you to know epidemiology; this is what the program is for. If you do well in your undergraduate studies, this is more of an indication of your potential for graduate studies rather than a specific area of study - and similarly, so will employers' interests in your skills.

I do not see how you could not. It sounds plausible to me. With regards to admissions, applicants are admitted to epidemiology tracks on a variety of factors, particularly quantitative skills. This may be demonstrated by the GRE, by upper-level math courses during your undergraduate studies or (if applicable) graduate studies, and others. Schools also look to your personal statement for further ideas about your interest in epidemiology. So, as you may notice, these have nothing (directly) to do with what you studied in undergrad. It is like studying basket weaving and getting into law school. Programs are interested in your potential abilities and contributions. They do not expect you to know epidemiology; this is what the program is for. If you do well in your undergraduate studies, this is more of an indication of your potential for graduate studies rather than a specific area of study - and similarly, so will employers' interests in your skills.

Thank you for responding. This is all good to know. I got accepted to University of New England's online MPH program. I also got my undergrad with UNE.
I've been so back and forth.... I just really want to make sure MPH is a good degree to have and it'll give me options. I just want to have options for interesting jobs and not be stuck cleaning teeth. !
thanks again.

Last edited:
Thank you for responding. This is all good to know. I got accepted to University of New England's online MPH program. I also got my undergrad with UNE.
I've been so back and forth.... I just really want to make sure MPH is a good degree to have and it'll give me options. I just want to have options for interesting jobs and not be stuck cleaning teeth. !
thanks again.

i m an Indian.i am doing :confused:my MPH from a renound university in India.then i will go Australia with my Husband as he has PR in Australia.my quiry is can i get job in Australia after finishing my MPH from India.is there any acceptence in Australia of my MPH from India

i m an Indian.i am doing :confused:my MPH from a renound university in India.then i will go Australia with my Husband as he has PR in Australia.my quiry is can i get job in Australia after finishing my MPH from India.is there any acceptence in Australia of my MPH from India
I have no idea. I don't live in India nor Australia.

With a MPH in Health Education you can wipe your rear and flush it.

With a MPH in Health Education you can wipe your rear and flush it.

That statement isn't very helpful. Care to elaborate? There are some of us (myself included) that have a strong interest in health education.

That statement isn't very helpful. Care to elaborate? There are some of us (myself included) that have a strong interest in health education.
Health behavior/education may be your interest, but you should also think about developing a skill set that makes you MARKETABLE for employers. I don't think there are many methods to learn in health behavior, so though you're learning about your field of interest, you have to think that there are tons and tons of other people like you studying the same thing. But a field like epidemiology--which is heavily quantitative based--gives you a skill set that you can market. Now sure, there are lots of other people studying epi, but I feel that there's more job security around it since epidemiologists are always in demand.

Are the things you learn in "health behavior" things that you can also learn online? Or through your own reading?

These are just some things to think through with any degree.

Last edited:

Health behavior/education may be your interest, but you should also think about developing a skill set that makes you MARKETABLE for employers. I don't think there are many methods to learn in health behavior, so though you're learning about your field of interest, you have to think that there are tons and tons of other people like you studying the same thing. But a field like epidemiology--which is heavily quantitative based--gives you a skill set that you can market. Now sure, there are lots of other people studying epi, but I feel that there's more job security around it since epidemiologists are always in demand.

Are the things you learn in "health behavior" things that you can also learn online? Or through your own reading?

These are just some things to think through with any degree.

As a psychologist, I disagree with some of the points made. Keeping the job market in mind is highly recommended, and yes, quantitative skills are indeed marketable and yes, you are more likely to get these kinds of methods skills in epidemiology, biostatistics, etc., for obvious reasons, as in you are more likely to learn about multiple modeling in a statistics course than you are in a philosophy class.

However, public health is human behavior.

While you are less likely, generally speaking, to learn quantitative knowledge and skills in concentrations/tracks with a health behavior/health education focus, you can be equally marketable. There is plentiful research to be done in health education/health behavior. You will need strong, robust quantitative skills to do this. Similarly, it would not make sense to apply to a research position if your interest or background is in delivering the content. Some health behavior/health education programs may offer courses, either as core or electives, with a quantitative spin. This is particularly more likely in MSPH programs, as opposed to MPH programs.

If many people are studying epidemiology, is it not true then that there are many many other people doing the same thing you do?

I'm speaking mainly from personal experience where I see people with degrees in subjects like nutrition/behavior/psychology having a harder time finding jobs (and the ones that do had strong connections) while friends of mine who study epi don't have as difficult of a time securing jobs.

Certainly public health is behavior, and I'm not saying don't do it, but that if you do, understand that you'll want to be *good* at what you do. You want to come away with with a skill--not necessarily an expert, but someone who can differentiate themselves from the rest of the job pool. That can oftentimes mean finding the right mentors who help develop your knowledge, make connections, etc. If you think you can take advantage of the degree program in the right way to develop that skill, do it.

I'm speaking mainly from personal experience where I see people with degrees in subjects like nutrition/behavior/psychology having a harder time finding jobs (and the ones that do had strong connections) while friends of mine who study epi don't have as difficult of a time securing jobs.

Certainly public health is behavior, and I'm not saying don't do it, but that if you do, understand that you'll want to be *good* at what you do. You want to come away with with a skill--not necessarily an expert, but someone who can differentiate themselves from the rest of the job pool. That can oftentimes mean finding the right mentors who help develop your knowledge, make connections, etc. If you think you can take advantage of the degree program in the right way to develop that skill, do it.

Key thing to keep in mind is that many more people graduate per year with a behavioral/social science degree than natural science degrees. This could bias your perspective a little bit.

Perhaps this depends on what track you choose. For instance, if you go for biostatistics (not too many do that), you score a decent job in pharmacoepidemiology -- doing clinical trails and so on; it pays well. If money is not an issue (please!), and you select a health systems/policy track, you end up working in state and local government agencies - program management, maybe? If you select health behavior track, well ... you need to know how to market yourself. .
But here is an interesting track. Go for EPIDEMIOLOGY. A highly respected and rare health profession – it is core science, with a multidisciplinary educational preparation spanning many aspects of science such as medicine, health and illness behavior, mathematics and statistics, demographics, cultural competency skills, research methods, writing skills, analytical and logical thinking. It is whole different world... trust me. It is not easy, but the rewards (not necessarily $) is satisfying. I know I am..

Epipro-
I graduated from a MPH program 5 months ago and want to gain epidemiology experience. I am a foreign medical grad who had to turn down residency for personal reasons and turned to doing an MPH, but I don't know what to do with it. Can you offer ideas on how I could gain experience in epidemiology? I've looked for internships, training opportunities, junior epidemiologist jobs... no luck. Can you please offer some advice? Thanks.

No. Clinician refers to someone directly involved in patient care, diagnosis, and treatment. Laboratory personnel fall into support staff.

My guess (and a total guess) would be that a lab tech would not be suitable to be in infection control, as I would assume a physician or nurse would be in that role, but I'm not really sure.

Hi, I would really appreciate if you can offer some advice for my situation: I have an MBBS (foreign medical degree) and graduated from my MPH program 5 months ago after having to turn down a family medicine residency for personal reasons. I went into public health hoping that I will figure out what I could do with it along the way. I decided that I want to gain experience in epidemiology so that I can apply for entry level (do these exist in epidemiology?) jobs. I did not take the epidemiology track in school and regretting it now. Can you tell me how I could get some solid experience? Thanks.

i want to pursue MPH degree but as continue being a practicing physician
i am a IMG
please guide my current choice occupational med / radiology / FM

keeping option open , so my career keeps progressing , in all areas

please guide thanks