What can you do with an MPH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnydays

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently heard about Public Health, but I don't know exactly what it entails. I am a future medical student so what could I do with an MPH? Also, for those of you who have both degrees, how is your professional/personal life different from what it woud have been with just the medical degree?

Members don't see this ad.

My wife has a MPH. The great thing about a MPH is that you can work in almost any field you may be interested in. You can do various aspects, such as epidemiology, health education, policy, etc...and in any area of health (infectious disease, chronic disease, environmental health, etc.) Public health typically focuses on prevention and controlling the course disease in the population. My wife constantly complains about working with physicians who do not understand the value of public health and that the 2 fields should be working together...which often does not happen. I think that having a MPH along with a MD will only make your career as a physician even more beneficial for the betterment of your career and for your patients.

Members don't see this ad :)
VCU07 said:
My wife has a MPH. The great thing about a MPH is that you can work in almost any field you may be interested in. You can do various aspects, such as epidemiology, health education, policy, etc...and in any area of health (infectious disease, chronic disease, environmental health, etc.) Public health typically focuses on prevention and controlling the course disease in the population. My wife constantly complains about working with physicians who do not understand the value of public health and that the 2 fields should be working together...which often does not happen. I think that having a MPH along with a MD will only make your career as a physician even more beneficial for the betterment of your career and for your patients.

Couldnt have said it better. I couldnt imagine going ot medical school without my MPH degree. THe way I look at the profession of medicine was radically changed through public health education and hopefully it'll make me a better practitioner of medicine.

Reactions: 1 users
As a firefighter/paramedic with an MPH, I went to work for TriData Corp. To quote their website:

"TriData Corporation is the nation?s leading management consulting firm, providing analyses in the areas of fire protection and prevention and emergency management. Our broad array of fire and emergency research extends across the United States, supporting the Federal Government; state, municipal and local governments; and the private sector. TriData is also internationally recognized and provides its fire protection expertise to a number of foreign governments and municipal entities.

TriData was founded in 1981 as a wholly-owned subsidiary of System Planning Corporation. The two corporations are collocated in Arlington, Virginia. Our permanent and part-time staff have extensive experience in fire department management studies and research, and many currently volunteer or were previously active in the fire service."

I worked about 1/2 for local municipalities and 1/2 time for the Federal Goverment (United States Fire Administration). I was on the USFA's "Major Incidents Investigation Team", and I got to work with fire departments literally across the globe. According to my boss, I was hired because of my graduate work (MPH)!

- H

Reactions: 1 user
hi,

im deepa naik.
i have BDS degree from India.
i have heard abt MPH ...how is this programe? does this have good job prospects?
can u tell me any university that has one yr programe..
i was planning to do DDS ......but its too expensive..so i want to try something new....is there anyother field i can get in.....
currently i'm based in san francisco..

hello dipa naik..
iam a bds from india..have recently shifted to sunnyvale , CA..i would like to know about MPH from you..wts the scope...wt all exams one needs to give to get into SFSU MPH program...do v need to give nbde for this course?gre and toefl scores are sufficient ???and do we need to have some work experience for pursuing this course?

hello dipa naik..
iam a bds from india..have recently shifted to sunnyvale , CA..i would like to know about MPH from you..wts the scope...wt all exams one needs to give to get into SFSU MPH program...do v need to give nbde for this course?gre and toefl scores are sufficient ???and do we need to have some work experience for pursuing this course?
Gre and toefl are pretty enough to get into mph !!! NBDE is to pursue admission into DDS... even I'm an INDIAN DENTIST